closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flipper or Hoarder - what are you?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hoarder. I've just this week started to put some of my watches up for sale. I've got the idea of selling all the ones I don't wear and buying something else I might. I also harbour a desire to sell the lot and buy one spanking watch, but for now, the majority of my watches are staying put.

No doubt about it - a big time hoarder.

Started off as a flipper but as I refined my collection I've turned into a bit of a hoarder. Not sure ill sell any of the current collection! My dads even worse, he's never sold a watch, just keeps on buying...he's got his eye on the Bremont Codebreaker now even though he doesn't know what it looks like...he's a list cause!

- - - Updated - - -

Started off as a flipper but as I refined my collection I've turned into a bit of a hoarder. Not sure ill sell any of the current collection! My dads even worse, he's never sold a watch, just keeps on buying...he's got his eye on the Bremont Codebreaker now even though he doesn't know what it looks like...he's a lost cause!

Craftsman
    just put something on SC, and then I see this thread :-)
    but def a hoarder. there are way too many now so hope to slim down the collection a bit, as it's long overdue!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I try to live the "no more than five rule", currently I own six..............
    I tried something similar, made a deal with myself that I wouldn't go past 100.
    107 and counting. #fail

Have sold a few but rarely flip. It's the watch equivalent of the Hotel California here.

So definitely a hoarder.

Hoarder, and unfortunately that seems to apply to almost everything that I acquire.

Much to my wife's frustration - HOARDER

Quote Originally Posted by w2w View Post
    How long have you been saying that mate? ha ha ha
    Far too bloody long - I will definitely sell off 50% of my watch collection within the next 18 months :) Well, I'll plan to. I'm thinking of buying another property, so the cash would come in handy to at least pay this one off first :)
    It's just a matter of time...

I started off as a hoarder but it was starting to get silly. Then one watch arrived and I immediately knew I would never wear it. I thought it was stupid to keep it and up went up for sale. I am slowly trying to slim down the collection but it is hard.

Definitely a hoarder, started of with one watch 18 months ago and I now have 15.
    None of them are that expensive, from £140 up to £650, but I purchased them because I liked them and they are going nowhere, much to the disgust of the 710

Every so often I try to sell a few but can't decide which ones to let go so end up keeping them all.

Having said that, I've just put a tentative post on SC!

Craftsman
    Hoarder.

Really should flip a few but I just can't bring myself to do it!!

Craftsman
    Definitely a hoarder. I seem to attach sentimental value to a lot of my possessions, making them hard to part with!

I've been wondering how many watches people keep in their collections, and of course there are no great conclusions to be drawn, though five or six seems to be a frequent response. I'd really like that but can't figure out which to keep so keep them all. I think it will be a process of refining the collection through bringing enough in to make sensible selections. But to be honest, there are already a few that could go without making much of an impact, as they never get wrist time. These particular pieces are not special, unique or even valuable, but they seem to linger as occasionally I think, "What a nice watch. I'll wear that tomorrow...." And so the story goes.

Incidentally, I tried this on yesterday, which may threaten the future hoardability of my collection:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wanderlust; 14th June 2013 at 07:59. Reason: Add image

Another member of Hoarders Anon.
    14 and on treatment (trying not to look at TZ).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Watches check in, but they don't check out.
    I'm quite a hoarder myself.

So, +1 I guess.

I suspect that I am a hoarder because it is in my nature, but that wont stop me finding reasons to justify this behaviour.
    After typing and then somehow losing a multi-paragraph reply to this thread last night I have decided that any future posts will be thankfully short.
    OK - So I am a Hoarder because:
    Its nice to have things that last, that offer long term ownership without wearing out or becoming obsolete as with so many other things we spend money on.

I'm definitely a hoarder since I haven't sold a single watch. Even some of the watches I picked up early on in my collection which I never wear (and in some cases have grown to hate).

I put this down to laziness more than anything, the hassle of packing a watch up and sending it off to someone. Maybe I'll get round to it this Summer...

I am a hoarder because: Owning an already impractical number of watches inhibits my appetite for buying any more...who am I kidding.

Hoarder. Hate selling anything but have been considering reducing to 20ish..

Used to be a flipper. Now I hoard 1 Rolex (had it over 5 years) which is my daily wearer LV and my only mechanical watch(!) - and flip (and hardly ever wear) G shocks. I'm a 1 watch 24/7 guy really, just can't justify a drawer full of stuff I never wear - and all the watches I might like are now £silly!

I am a Hoarder because: All of my watches (except for two vintage) were bought new within the last 4 years and I have spent more than I had planned, actually there was no plan. My hoarding avoids confronting foreseeable financial loss from selling, and so allows me to remain in denial as to the real costs of ownership. This must be irrational...it seems I have much to learn.
    Forpetesake

I am a Hoarder because: I secretly enjoy the guilty pleasures from owning bright and shiny mechanical man-jewellery.
    Sorry.

Craftsman
    tinkerer mostly, most of mine are project watches. The exception are 2 branded watches I will never part with, a JLC Master Reveil I received for my 30th and a Tag for my 20th. Certainly not a flipper, I don't feel the need to try tonnes of branded watches by any means.

The only watch I have bought of late is a prs50 and can't see why I would every not own that, it's lovely.

Craftsman
    I'm like Rich11 I'm a hoarder and that applies to anything not just watches.

Flipper.....

Grand Master
    Collector...have been for many years.

Still a collector at heart despite my service/restoration activities taking precedence thesedays.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mwurliinkomeg View Post
    I'm like Rich11 I'm a hoarder and that applies to anything not just watches.
    Same as iv only sold when iv need cash watches books film posters and so on the other half is the same as. I had to let my speedy go a few years ago and I still ant got over it !!!!!!!!

Hoarder for sure.
    Have several I dont wear and would want to sell but is such a hassle!

What's a hoarder? (50 plus)

Awesome thread.. I'm not alone! :)

Started with one watch on year.. then another a couple of years later.. and then another.. and suddenly I decided that cheaper watches were fun too.. enter a really, really bad thread on a forum then eBay.. a 10-watch box to store the new toys, and now another 10-watch box just arrived a few days ago, because the first one is full! Also went overboard on Nato straps; 30-40 of them and counting.

No plans on selling any of my collection! Apart from a gift that is just not my "style" (anybody want it?)
    Last edited by GTuned; 15th June 2013 at 01:51.

Definitely a hoarder.
    As the collection grows and increases in value as my disposable income increases, the watch collection is slowly becoming a significant asset.
    Not a good investment at all, but a significant asset none the less.
    ;)

Floarder. Now at 15 but also sold a few. Only a few valuable pieces and several G-shocks and cheaper Seiko's. Every now and then I browse the collection but I enjoy wearing everything I have, so why sell a piece. More than enough for any occasion or mood.