closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New black n' blue Rolex GMTII 116710BLNR - tomorrow?!

New black n' blue Rolex GMTII 116710BLNR - tomorrow?!

Guys and girls,

I'm gutted! Truly gutted.

Just had a call from my local Mappin and Webb in Guildford.

I put my name down for the new 116710BLNR and was expecting to hear from them towards the back end of the year.

Rolex have released 44 UK watches (apparently) - M&W have one and they've just called me to see if I want it. There is a caveat - Rolex are insisting that all 44 HAVE to be sold tomorrow at the full RRP of £5,950.

I'm so gutted as I only have a couple of grand in cash and my credit cards are maxed out. I have access to the money but it's tied up in some exercisable share options, but even if I cashed enough out today that process takes about 10 working days to hit my account.

Tried to get them to talk about other options - like could I give them £2k, they hold it for 2 weeks and then I pay the balance - or even the 0% finance option (which they're not allowed to offer on this model) - but it looks like I'm going to have to let it go.

So - the lady may have called the next person on the list, but if any of you TZers have the inclination, 6 grand and can get to Guildford tomorrow I might be able to call her back and still get it. My loss might as well be someone else's gain.

So pissed off. I want that watch. Call me on 07776 186636 if you want to discuss - might be too late already, but thought I'd chuck it out there.

Calm down - I'm sure these will be readily available everywhere soon. Yet another example of Rolex AD b-s. why 44? Why do they all have to be sold double-quick? - honestly they make it up as they go along. And £6k! For a steel Rolex!

Grand Master
    Youre at least the 4th person thats had a call then I know of!
    RIAC

yeh dont jump the gun give it a few months they will easily be available. Go in and show interest they will probably do it for you on interest free credit.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Calm down - I'm sure these will be readily available everywhere soon. Yet another example of Rolex AD b-s. why 44? Why do they all have to be sold double-quick? - honestly they make it up as they go along. And £6k! For a steel Rolex!
    Yeah - I know - it's all marketing guff and positioning to make people feel special and they'll probably be available all over the shop in a few months. Rolex almost certainly want to create a sense of uber-demand by being able to say "We sold all the UK watches on the first day..."

I know I shouldn't care really as I'll get one eventually, but I've been saving a portion of my stock options specifically to buy one, just disappointed not to be able to pick one up tomorrow really.

And they're so shiny...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    yeh dont jump the gun give it a few months they will easily be available. Go in and show interest they will probably do it for you on interest free credit.
    I thought that. But it's head office orders apparently - no finance on this one (The Bruiser as it's known in my house!), steel Daytonas or date subs. Or so they told me anyway.

It smells of M&W trying their hardest to sell a watch and trying to do you over by creating a false sense of urgency and panic ... only 44 to be sold on Saturday, yeah and another 444 on Sunday, 4444 on Monday ....

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1977 View Post
    I thought that. But it's head office orders apparently - no finance on this one (The Bruiser as it's known in my house!), steel Daytonas or date subs. Or so they told me anyway.
    I genuinely don't believe a word they say any more - I've heard so many conflicting 'tales' from Rolex AD's first hand over the years. 'There's a 5 year wait on the Seadweller sir' - so I leave, and return half an hour later wearing the brand new Seadweller I bought from the other AD just around the corner. I made a point of suggesting to the Manager that he didn't blatantly lie to prospective customers and it looks like the same rubbish is still going on I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1977 View Post
    Yeah - I know - it's all marketing guff and positioning to make people feel special and they'll probably be available all over the shop in a few months. Rolex almost certainly want to create a sense of uber-demand by being able to say "We sold all the UK watches on the first day..."

I know I shouldn't care really as I'll get one eventually, but I've been saving a portion of my stock options specifically to buy one, just disappointed not to be able to pick one up tomorrow really.

And they're so shiny...
    I doubt it's Rolex ordering this, more likely M&W trying to keep their AD status.

When representing Rolex as a AD you would think there would be class and professionalism when launching a new model, not market stall tactics...if this is down to the AD's then Rolex need to wind them in a bit as its tarnishing a respected name.

My AD just called. They have one In Stock. I reckon there will be loads available

The con wagon keeps rolexing on....... just been told my gmtC with a dinged bezel/no ceramic damage will have to go back to rolex ,no one will take the risk of fixing it.!

Master
    Totally over hyped, if I was you I would wait 6 months and buy a used one thereby saving a big lump of the VAT you would have paid!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    The con wagon keeps rolexing on....... just been told my gmtC with a dinged bezel/no ceramic damage will have to go back to rolex ,no one will take the risk of fixing it.!
    Have you tried Duncan at Genisis?

How is that a con exactly?

You've contacted watch repairs who aren't prepared to undertake the work probably because they know that by doing the repair they stand a good chance of damaging the insert which you will then expect them to repair free of charge despite the fact the insert is probably quite expensive to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    How is that a con exactly?

You've contacted watch repairs who aren't prepared to undertake the work probably because they know that by doing the repair they stand a good chance of damaging the insert which you will then expect them to repair free of charge despite the fact the insert is probably quite expensive to replace.
    I mean the rolex con ,not the smaller independents .These guys, like you say cannot take the risk,too big a hit if all goes wrong so guess what ,you HAVE to use Rolex.(nice for rolex)

Craftsman
    Everything I hear about Rolex really puts me off the company....shame as they are nice watches

I mean the rolex con ,not the smaller independents .These guys, like you say cannot take the risk,too big a hit if all goes wrong so guess what ,you HAVE to use Rolex.(nice for rolex)
    No you don't, you accept the liability if they break the insert then I'm sure they'll have a go for you.

I don't think this attitude is limited to working on Rolex either, other brands use ceramic inserts too (and charge just as much for them - Omega for a start).

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    Everything I hear about Rolex really puts me off the company....shame as they are nice watches
    Such as? I've not heard anything about Rolex I've not heard levelled at any number of other makers - in particular Swatch Group companies.

I genuinely don't believe a word they say any more - I've heard so many conflicting 'tales' from Rolex AD's first hand over the years. 'There's a 5 year wait on the Seadweller sir' - so I leave, and return half an hour later wearing the brand new Seadweller I bought from the other AD just around the corner. I made a point of suggesting to the Manager that he didn't blatantly lie to prospective customers and it looks like the same rubbish is still going on I'm afraid.
    How did that go down..?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    Such as? I've not heard anything about Rolex I've not heard levelled at any number of other makers - in particular Swatch Group companies.
    What puts me off is the tales I hear of watches requiring minor repairs being subject to "full service and restoration or nothing".

Blog Entries
    Scarcity Principle

Very poor form & manipulative sales technique.
    I expect this of a double glazing salesman - but not a high end watch retailer.
    I'd take my business elsewhere.

z

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    What puts me off is the tales I hear of watches requiring minor repairs being subject to "full service and restoration or nothing".
    IIRC They only insist if the watch is overdue a service (so hasn't been serviced in the last three years) - this is what nearly all manufactures insist on and not just Rolex.

Master
    Ive heard its a new strategy from Rolex, to try and disrupt the ADs releasing a watch too early (to a companion), then they show up 30 minutes later on sales corners and ebay at list + 150%... Spoils getting shared by the culprits. Cant say fairer than that for Rolex trying to put a stop to that nonsense.

As far as the ceramic insert goes, the bezel is fastened with a gasket now, not just pressed on like the old GMTs/Subs were... Perhaps all the ADs do not have the tools or training for it yet, hence they prefer sending it to Rolex?

The tinfoil-hat theories and BS that is dreamed up on here is baffling sometimes... wouldnt it be easier to pick up the phone and speak to someone at Rolex UK instead of posting makebelieve on forums?

Craftsman
    the GMT will be widespread soon enough. 6K is just too much to pay in my opinion.

Grand Master
    But sadly that new GMT wouldn't make £5300 even with the stickers on so any flippers will be sorry they procured it I'd suggest
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    How did that go down..?
    Not well! Especially when I suggested he call all the names on his 'waiting list' to let them know there were another 2 Ad's within spitting distance who also had Seadwellers and subs in stock. Their sales techniques seem to prey on the gullible and ill-informed and I made it clear I belonged in neither category - then I went for a nice cold pint and enjoyed my new watch ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shin View Post
    the GMT will be widespread soon enough. 6K is just too much to pay in my opinion.
    I agree - following the pattern of every single new SS sports release in the last few years.

Master
    I have just been through the Rolex pantomime, as i had set my heart on a steel submariner date.

I went to the 3 AD's nearest to me and got all sorts of stories about " 6 month wait " and " big deposit might jump you a LITTLE way up the 6 month wait list " and even " at least 6 months because we cant order Rolex, they just send us a random selection of watches each month ".

It was interesting to note that when you are in the shop, they are all keen to thrust a tray of other Rolex watches in front of you and suggest that you buy one of these as you will " Never find a Submariner Date available to buy just like that , Sir ". The popular tray models at the three AD's i visited were the Explorer, The GMT, the Millgaus and the Sub non date. They all said that if i wanted a Gold Rolex of any sort, they could likely get it in a few days.

I had nearly given up when i went onto the Rolex website and noticed that Prestons of Bolton ( now just "Prestons" ) were an AD and gave their nearest branch a call. "No problem sir, we have both Date and Non Date - do you want us to reserve one until you can come in ? "

And they did hold it till the next day - no deposit and no tales about availability. so i went there and bought one from them. They were very good and gave me a comprehensive run through about setting the watch and how to care for it and adjusted the bracelet to fit me by removing some links. Even got advise about how to safely remove / insert links if i wanted to do it myself, tho they suggested best practice would be to bring it back to them and they would be happy to do it !!

So maybe worth a ring if you are trying to source a Rolex model - i can highly recommend them based on my experience.

Not well! Especially when I suggested he call all the names on his 'waiting list' to let them know there were another 2 Ad's within spitting distance who also had Seadwellers and subs in stock. Their sales techniques seem to prey on the gullible and ill-informed and I made it clear I belonged in neither category - then I went for a nice cold pint and enjoyed my new watch ;-)
    Good for you... it is good to shoot down pompous sales types on occasion - it is the reason I am "banned" from 2 branches of PC World ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    I have just been through the Rolex pantomime, as i had set my heart on a steel submariner date.

I went to the 3 AD's nearest to me and got all sorts of stories about " 6 month wait " and " big deposit might jump you a LITTLE way up the 6 month wait list " and even " at least 6 months because we cant order Rolex, they just send us a random selection of watches each month ".

It was interesting to note that when you are in the shop, they are all keen to thrust a tray of other Rolex watches in front of you and suggest that you buy one of these as you will " Never find a Submariner Date available to buy just like that , Sir ". The popular tray models at the three AD's i visited were the Explorer, The GMT, the Millgaus and the Sub non date. They all said that if i wanted a Gold Rolex of any sort, they could likely get it in a few days.
    You are going back to the earlier visited AD's to show them your new purchase.... I would!

What genuinely irritates me is how Rolex try to be all 'exclusive' and 'choose their AD's so carefully' etc - but the service you receive as a potential customer is dire. Reading the various threads on this forum over the years and from my own experience it's obvious they will just lie to you and make up stories - and I don't think that's acceptable. I hope they buck their ideas up and send their sales staff on a course. I might offer to write one (I used to do that kind if thing for a living) 'Don't tell obvious lies to sell a watch and don't make stuff up which anyone with a few brain cells can spot as a blag from a mile off' is a bit of a long title but I think it might improve customer satisfaction no end!

Grand Master
    I got 'The Call' in the week and I rang them back today for a chat, we get on well and I said 'So am I No 1 on the list'

the reply was a very dry and sarcastic "youre all No 1 to me'
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Same, I've wearing Rolex in rotation constantly for the last 4 years and something about the way they operate us starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Don't think I'll be buying any more tbh.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Same, I've wearing Rolex in rotation constantly for the last 4 years and something about the way they operate us starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Don't think I'll be buying any more tbh.
    Can we just clarify what exactly they are doing to us?
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Tis a sign of the modern consumer-driven world surely. Why not stick with vintage Rolex, and bear no such grudges?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Can we just clarify what exactly they are doing to us?
    The 'us' was supposed to be an 'is', far fingeritis strikes again.

Grand Master
    The 'us' was supposed to be an 'is', far fingeritis strikes again.
    Yes but I dont understand what hideous crime they have comitted to warrant losing your business!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Here is a nice story about them for you:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Central-London

Rolex seems to be the favorite whipping boy for some!
    Am not sure what crime they are committing.Just selling as many watches as they can for as much money they can get. Standard business practice. The product is excellent and warranty reliable. They are not in it for charity or to satisfy the quirks and whims of WISs! Sure, I wish they didnt cost as much but this is the business model and they seem to be able to make it work.
    I do like the new GMTC IIC and as for OP, as others suggested just wait a bit and they should be available freely and for less. I understand the thrill of getting it as soon as they come out and I have my name down for one as well at local Tourneau but am not holding my breath.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    You are going back to the earlier visited AD's to show them your new purchase.... I would!
    I will be with one of them for sure, as they are carrying out some jewellery alterations for 'er indoors and I think i might well be a gentleman and go help her collect them ...

Blog Entries
    Yes but I dont understand what hideous crime they have comitted to warrant losing your business!
    well that's good cause I wasn't asking you too

Grand Master
    So a bold statement that can't be quantified!
    RIAC

So a bold statement that can't be quantified!
    I think my post quantifies it! - and I think the reliable reply along the lines of 'well they sell lots of watches so it must work and who cares' explains why their arrogant service continues largely unchallenged. I don't have an issue with Rolex per se, I have an issue with any company whose sales reps blatantly lie and make stuff up. And RolexAD's happen to be the worst offender in my experience if buying anything, not just watches. I'm not denying the product is good - I'm wearing mine right now - it's the arrogant attitude whenever I enter their dealerships I don't like. Luckily mine's a keeper and I don't need to buy another!

Grand Master
    Perhaps I'm lucky but the guys I deal with are always proper and honest. They relay the info they have and once they know you know the score you can both have a laugh about how 'typically Rolex' it all is. In general I have always enjoyed the brand, had little to no problems with them in function or when servicing and would go as far as to say the over the counter service at st James has been fantastic even if you don't get a coffee
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    I was quite close to buying a non date Sub C 2 weeks ago. Just needed to see one or equivalent in the flesh.

I asked 2 Rolex dealers in Glasgow if I could order one only to be told they get a monthly order which could include one

I asked if I could order one directly with Rolex....told no ....dont know if BS or not but I though any Company which could not produce an item / order directly is not worth the hassle.

Master
    Perhaps I'm lucky but the guys I deal with are always proper and honest. They relay the info they have and once they know you know the score you can both have a laugh about how 'typically Rolex' it all is. In general I have always enjoyed the brand, had little to no problems with them in function or when servicing and would go as far as to say the over the counter service at st James has been fantastic even if you don't get a coffee
    +1

Sales, after sales and servicing is the best of any brand I have experienced.

They can't sell them to tomorrow due to an international embargo (I saw the email from Rolex). My AD is hand delivering mine tomorrow morning.

That's what I call service.

We've all wanted something badly before but the way the OP was talking is exactly why Rolex or AD's drum up these schemes to drive a mania of buyers that will buy the latest watch at any cost and create a advertisement for Rolex and AD........wait a few months until stock is good and walk in with cash if you have it and put the ball in your court, well at least half way.

Its like the iPhone geeks camping out to get the latest phone, Apple just love it and it creates a media storm of advertising....few months later they are free on a reasonable tariff...

"a desperate man is easily prised of his money"

Grand Master
    Everyone wants to be first past the line if they didn't we wouldn't have the Olympics!
    RIAC

Banned
    A Rolex AD is often a Breitling AD, an Audemars AD, an Omega AD, etc., etc.

All the arguments people are yabbering on about in this thread can be attributed to any retail sales environment.

They are independently run by human beings, they are not direct Rolex representatives. Therefore you will (like it or lump it) receive different levels of service, sales techniques, aftercare, technical knowledge from each one. Don't likey, walk outy.