closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lapping machine - case example pics on page 3

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    I recently saw in a sales thread that the seller said there was no evidence of rebrushing or refinishing with a lapping maching. Rebrushing I can understand, but is there a way to tell if a watch has not been refinished with a lapping machine? Looking at the examples posted here, it doesn't seem to be the case?
    I've never seen a watch case refinished by hand look anywhere near as good as by lapping machine. You just can't get the perfectly crisp edges between brushed and polished parts, for example.
    "A man of little significance"

Right, spotting a rebrushing I can understand, what had me perplexed is being able to determine whether the watch had been refinished with a lapping machine or not.

Right, spotting a rebrushing I can understand, what had me perplexed is being able to determine whether the watch had been refinished with a lapping machine or not.
    Just look at the edges, there's no better way of telling. By hand it's not possible to get a completely sharp edge between, say, brushed and polished parts of the watch. I've not seen a watch rebrushed by hands without feathering on the polished sides from the brushed sides. Look on the picture of the Speedy Mk2 a few posts up, see how the edges are sharp?

Lapping also gives a slightly curved grain, it's not perfectly straight.

So you're saying you can spot a watch that's been refinished with a lapping maching as opposed to the original finish ?

No, I was answering your question as I understood it.

OK ;-) So the question remains then !

Well then the answer is yes, I can.

Master
    So you're saying you can spot a watch that's been refinished with a lapping maching as opposed to the original finish ?
    The original finish is often created with... a lapping machine. At that point it all comes down to the skill of the person working the machine.

Thanks for the info.

Just a note for those who have an email into Rocco like I did and are waiting to hear back, he's been very busy and apologizes for being slow to reply and says he'll do it as soon as possible!
    Last edited by webvan; 22nd June 2013 at 22:46.

Master
    Looks like I'm going to have to send him my Mk. IV Speedmaster.