closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: new PC-need advice

Craftsman
    the country where every village is a nation

new PC-need advice

Hi everyone,
    I´m looking for a new notebook (not professional use). I´ve always worked with windows. Some friends have told me about Macbooks and how good they are.
    Should I seriously consider the Macbook option or should I stick to windows (toshiba and HP are the ones I´m considering right now).
    pros and cons?
    Your inputs will be appreciated 8)

Grand Master
    Macs bloody dear and bloody dear to fix
    Don't get a Dell :wink:
    Toshiba very good :wink:
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

IBM now Lenovo. All we use at work exept for the route drivers who have Panasonic Toughbooks. I swear by them (and at them) stay away from Dell and Gateway.

I was speaking with Frank (forum) this week and he has some really tasty stuff at bargain basement prices. HP Pavillion with a great dual core spec.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

mmmm

MacBooks are pretty good value - if you look at all the features thrown in (dual core CPU, webcam, DVD writer, decent OS + software) and you plan to use them, i.e. you want to video chat, edit home movies etc.

But moving to a new OS can be a culture shock. Then again, moving to Vista might be a culture shock as well!

-- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I was speaking with Frank (forum) this week and he has some really tasty stuff at bargain basement prices. HP Pavillion with a great dual core spec.

Eddie
    Who's Frank? Does he do desktops?

Macs are excellent, intuitive, fast and far less virus prone than pc's ... check out the Apple Refurbished Shop for some great deals http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects ... =Certified

Dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by endure

Eddie
    Who's Frank? Does he do desktops?
    His forum name is Wellsy and yes, he does desktops.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Re: mmmm

Thanks a lot for your answers 8) 8)

Quote Originally Posted by in_denial
    MacBooks are pretty good value - if you look at all the features thrown in (dual core CPU, webcam, DVD writer, decent OS + software) and you plan to use them, i.e. you want to video chat, edit home movies etc.

But moving to a new OS can be a culture shock. Then again, moving to Vista might be a culture shock as well!

-- Tim
    I´d like to edit home movies. Right now I have 12+ hours videotaped waiting to be edited (have to learn how to do it tough :D ).
    But you´re right about the culture shock of a new OS. That´s the main concern about the change :? Not sure if I want to try the new Vista either....

Master

Re: mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by flieger
    I´d like to edit home movies. Right now I have 12+ hours videotaped waiting to be edited (have to learn how to do it tough :D ).
    But you´re right about the culture shock of a new OS. That´s the main concern about the change :? Not sure if I want to try the new Vista either....
    The culture 'shock' is better described as an enlightenment :)

:)

Alan

Craftsman

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie. One of my neighbours runs a computer store, and I´m gonna get a good price from him.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by flieger
    One of my neighbours runs a computer store, and I´m gonna get a good price from him.
    As a 20yr+ Mac user who would not dream of changing his easy way of computer life in work and leisure and who has never failed to get a (generally concealed) snigger from all the hassles I see PC users suffering from, I would say that if you have to ask the Mac/PC question, then you would do better to get a PC notwithstanding the answer to the question: "What do they use in Hollywoood and advertising studios for the tasks you name?"

Master

New PC

Look, I don't post very often although I have been here for a while; so I just thought that I would recommend Wellsy. I have been in the business for 20 ish years and I just got an IBM Thinkpad from Wellsy and it is good. If there are any problems he will sort them out rest assured.

Regards ( sigh!! that's my post for this year )

Brian