closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: People commenting on your watch ??

A stall holder at an antiques fair asked if my prs-29b was an IWC. I said no I preferred rare watches ;-)

Master
    Been wearing a 14060m for 12 months , my son spotted it straight away , since then No one has commented or noticed it. Yes people look but no embarrassing is that a ........
    If Carlsberg made understated watches, this would be it!

Had some comments at work when I firsg-shock for Xmas in 1997. It was a huge double strap one mind so was mahoosive!

A girl in a different office said "nice watch" when I'd taken off my SKX009, told her it was a wedding pressie, and at the time I wasn't "into" watches and it felt good and embarrassing at the same time!

Since then, few comments in the office but there's a few of us that like watches now. Main comment is about my Kemmner octopus on sinn rubber with deployment. Again, not a small watch.....

Only when there's a blue moon and it's always been welcome and good natured. Frequency and type of comment is probably a complex function based around the watches in my collection and the circles I move in.

I was on my way home from a gig last night on a late and very crowded train from Bedford to Brighton with a colleague/friend and my wife (also a colleague!). I was wearing my Mark XII and a guy came on and sat opposite. He was wearing factory distressed jeans, rough trainers and a Sainsburys hat, you know, the orange one. He looked like he might have been listening to dubstep or hiphop.

Oh, he was also wearing a Daytona, in that loose silver chain kind of way. I resisted talking to him about it.

He looked at my wrist but I doubt he recognised my watch...but who knows? He certainly didn't strike up a conversation with me.

Journeyman
    Never had a stranger start up a chat about my watch.
    But among my friends, the watch I'v been the most complimented on is definitely my inherited Longines Flagship. The usual response is "Nice watch, is it new?" and they always get a bit suprised when I tell them it's 50 years old ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    No one has ever commented on my proper watches apart from those at work who know I like watches.
    How does one identify an improper watch? Please educate me.

Craftsman
    I am in the City pretty frequently and you do see watches being checked out but the protocol seems to be not to comment - still bonuses have paid for some nice watches for the banking community over the years.

For me my PRS 20 (normal and full lime) has been commented on several times and normally mistaken taken for a Panerai. I reply with "Panerai quality at a tenth of the cost!"

Depending on the spotter it is a compliment or can be awkward!

Having worked in the City, my take on it is that quality is unimportant to the denizens of that strange land - it's all about the label, baby.

There's a word for them. Rhymes with Banker, amusingly.

Never had anyone comment except after new purchase something along the lines of "you have new watch? That's cool" etc. from friends or family. Never got any comments from total strangers.

Master
    I get the occasional comments from colleagues who know about my watch obsession. It is almost always quite awkward as they are really just after knowing how much I wasted on this one or that one! I just say thank you and try to steer them away from the subject. They'd thank me if they realised just how close that been to being subjected to boring watch facts and trivia and the like. I always find it embarrassing and if pushed just pull the "I don't drink or smoke" line and "each to their own".

Secretly I am happy as Larry that they have noticed and really want to bore them all to tears about everything WIS related!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    Having worked in the City, my take on it is that quality is unimportant to the denizens of that strange land - it's all about the label, baby.
    Exactly my thinking on quite a few of the posts here. Brandz rule everywhere, whether you agree or not...
    Last edited by andrew; 27th May 2013 at 08:27.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Very true an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by ru55 View Post
    I am in the City pretty frequently and you do see watches being checked out but the protocol seems to be not to comment - still bonuses have paid for some nice watches for the banking community over the years.

For me my PRS 20 (normal and full lime) has been commented on several times and normally mistaken taken for a Panerai. I reply with "Panerai quality at a tenth of the cost!"

Depending on the spotter it is a compliment or can be awkward!

Journeyman

I can't stop watch spotting

Quote Originally Posted by Foucault717 View Post
    Never had anyone comment except after new purchase something along the lines of "you have new watch? That's cool" etc. from friends or family. Never got any comments from total strangers.
    I look at straps crowns watch faces bracelets , I love it !

Journeyman

Nice story

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    I've had a few comments on different watches - my Speedy Pro, SMP and 5513 seem to be noticed by people at work, but I work with geeky people, so that may be why, possibly?

The ones I've had noticed outside of work tend to be my Pogue, or Bullhead - both are very distinctive, my Carlos Coste LE also drew attention (I think that may have been the size) - I still regret flipping that one.

The watch that I think drew most attention was my Orsa Monstrum, and that was just because it was such a huge lump of a watch.

I don't mind talking to anyone about my watches, and have never felt threatened because of it (although I did swap the 5513 for an Oris Date Diver prior to a late night out in Nottingham this week - well, you can't be too careful, can you?) but my favourite reaction was when I was in my local Goldsmiths a year or two back ordering a couple of spare links (for the Oris, IIRC) and the guy I was dealing with, who I've dealt with before, asked if I he could try on the GTXL I was wearing (I'd just serviced it for a friend and was wearing it for a few days to ensure that both the timing and reserve issues had gone), I passed it over and we got talking for a short time about, amongst other things, watch storage and before handing it back he disappeared out the back (which caused a moment for me as it wasn't my watch) and came back with three Omega service pouches which he gave to me.

You do meet the occasional fellow WIS out in the wild, but it doesn't happen very often :)

Banned
    This one has had the most comments, and all in a positive way.

Master
    Some years ago at a shop opening in Manchester, well dressed middle aged man wanders past clutching his glass of wine and plate of Canapes.

" Lovely watch" he says looking down at my wrist. "Don't you just love em, I can't stop buying them" .

I spotted the solid gold Date Just on his wrist.

"Have to agree with that" I said, he wandered off.

I looked down and checked my Date Just.......and noticed it said Seiko on the dial, and that the gold plate was wearing thin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jbw View Post
    The best comment though would take some beating...It was when my wife was giving birth to our first son...There she was legs open making a few comments!! and out of the blue the midwife says "wow" that watch looks really nice , The wife says "WHAT" dont get him F*****G started on watches..It wasnt funny really lol. By the way the watch was a Fortis pilots chrono.
    I genuinely laughed out loud at this story. That does indeed take some beating!

You should keep that Fortis to hand down to your son.

Craftsman
    Most people wouldn't notice your watch, like I wouldn't notice a female colleagues handbag or shoes etc.

Whenever someone comments on one of my watches, I love to engage with them, in the hope that they share the same passion, and you can have a good chat.

If you feel uncomfortable about it, that's perfectly normal - perhaps try wearing it higher up your wrist. Or have a cheaper watch for work and wear the PO evenings and weekends.

Many lovely looking cheaper watches out there.

By the way, if I may, what job do you do? Is it one where salaries are high, and where it would be of no surprise that you wear an expensive watch?

A patient I had been to see for an anaesthetic assessment commented on my CWC hand wound chrono. None of my Rolex's have ever raised a comment. I'm sure most people just are not interested/bothered.

Blog Entries
    Very rarely get comments. But I was wearing the Railmaster last week and one of the conference attendees said 'nice watch'.

I had to agree :)

Turns out a few at the table had more than a passing interest in watches ranging from Tags to classic Seikos.

z

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was in Chisholm hunter a few weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was eyeing up my watch.
    When I got to the till to pay he said he'd noticed it and asked what it was.
    I said it was a breitling. He looked mildly surprised and said it didn't look like one and asked to get a better look so I took it off and handed it over. It was on perlon rather than a bracelet.
    He took the perlon off, got his loupe out and bloody inspected it like some sort of microbiologist.
    Im sure he was checking to see if it was legit or snide.
    I felt compelled to over-explain its origins.
    (was a 38mm black SOH)

it was quite socially awkward.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I was in Chisholm hunter a few weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was eyeing up my watch.
    When I got to the till to pay he said he'd noticed it and asked what it was.
    I said it was a breitling. He looked mildly surprised and said it didn't look like one and asked to get a better look so I took it off and handed it over. It was on perlon rather than a bracelet.
    He took the perlon off, got his loupe out and bloody inspected it like some sort of microbiologist.
    Im sure he was checking to see if it was legit or snide.
    I felt compelled to over-explain its origins.
    (was a 38mm black SOH)

it was quite socially awkward.
    Haha bringing out the loupe sure sounds a bit too much for just "having a look"..

I have a couple of yellow watches (dial full yellow, yellow/black bezel), with a really strong hue. Those have caught the eye for a couple of random, not watch interest sharing people.

Aficionado conversations have been started when wearing vintage Omegas (have had three in total).

Apprentice
    I'm with the OP here, can be a little awkward at work. My Glycine gets a lot of attention for a very average daily wearer, lots of compliments from a wide range of people but not being a well known brand I can move the conversation on as quickly as it started.

My Panerai on the other hand, completely different, it attracts the wrong kind of attention. It's become a staple favourite within my industry. I'm done with mine, it's crass and I've resorted to wearing it less and less work because of the kind of attention it gets, I've started looking at a Sinn 140 A, it's just laying my hands on one ;)

Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    When I was 15 and worked at a petrol station one guy offered to by my Omega cone off me for fifty quid. I declined, though I had no idea how much it was worth.

I had one guy next to me on a flight ask me what my Sumo was.

I had another conversation in a shop a couple of weeks back about my old Datejust:

Guy: Nice watch.
    Me: Thanks.
    Guy: I have one of those, too.
    Me: Good for you.
    Guy: Yeah, mine's real though.

That's about the extent of it for me.
    Haha. Had a similar one at work the other day. Chap came back from Thailand with a Bond Seamaster on his wrist. "Get that in Duty Free?" I asked.
    "Oh...yeah..yeah!" he said.
    Fake as Quorn bacon. I keep wearing mine (real, of course) in the hope he'll see it and be suitably shamed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    This one has had the most comments, and all in a positive way.

WOW, I love that. I'd comment if I saw it.

Maxi Marine Diver Chrono yes?
    Last edited by CVByrne; 7th August 2013 at 00:20.

I had two situations lately with girls commenting on my watches, which combined together one might end up with quite strange conclusions. In the first case I had just met a girl and out of the blue when the discussion was nowhere near watches, she said she liked the Tag Heuer F1 I was wearing very much and she started staring and observing the watch for quite some time. In the second case strangly the discussion was about watches (for half a minute top) and a friend of mine who knows very little about watches commented on the SMP (quartz but she doesn't know the difference with the auto) I usually wear nowadays, that this is a very nice watch, she liked it a lot, but it is not a Rolex....

Master
    Worn a Rolex GMT Master for years, can't remember anyone passing comment. Been wearing my newly acquired Steinhart Ocean One for five days and two people have said " Nice Rolex". The latter being the landlord of my local who usually wears a Rolex Submariner.........and he was sober.

Craftsman
    I am wearing a PP 5800 from the beginning of the week. I haven't received a single comment (probably one of the thing I am the most proud of). Some ppl saw I had a new watch, but did not stare at it. They probably think it's a simple watch. Very proud of this...

In the same time, a friend of mine bought a (fake) Rolex Sub. He received comments non stop (not especially pleasant...) from the beginning of the week (but not a single personn noticed it was a fake...). Just a Managing Director who is a "Rolex fans" (he got at least 4 Rolex) told him it was a nice watch. He put it next to his wrist where he had an authentic one. His comment was "Ah, it seems smaller than mine. Probably it's an old model"...

It summarizes well the bad things I think about Rolex...

Rarely happens.. I usually wear it underneath a shirt sleeve :-)

50 years of wearing watches and never have heard a comment except from members of my forum when we get together at times with one exception. Have had a server at fancy dinner place in Portland tell me that His Invicta diver watch was a better watch then my Submariner. Aside from that I have never had anyone grap my wrist and offer me $5000 for a Seiko or G-shock either.
    Last edited by koimaster; 9th August 2013 at 21:16.

I was pleased to get some real interest in my pirate-dialled Monster today, from a colleague who knows I'm into watches (and is a Seamaster wearer himself) but has only nodded at my more mainstream Sub and PAM. I was able to educate him in the worlds of Monster, Yobokies and Toshi and I can see him getting sucked into this whole thing if he's not careful!

Latest comment today. A friend of mine was wearing a Moonwatch (his way to phrase it!) and I happened to wear a vintage Seamaster he had not seen. In fact he had not known we share an interest in Omega, as we never really discussed watches, and I tend to wear real beaters when we meet at matches. Football and business startup preforms have always been the topics for us. So not only a comment (surprised and delighted), but a great discussion over some charcoal coloured espresso robusta.

Master
    Had a compliment about my Seiko Flightmaster on a WJean mesh, and one about my (now departed) Kronos diver.

Oh, and an ex-colleague loved my f300 diver.

Journeyman
    Never had any comment wearing a Sub on a leather strap.
    On the Oyster bracelet, it is another story and I did not always hear nice things about it...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lwl12 View Post
    On the Oyster bracelet, it is another story and I did not always hear nice things about it...
    What did people say?

"What an old man watch" Radiomir/MarkXII/PRS29A/Squale/Stowa Partitio/Longines heritage etc

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What did people say?
    In the line of "Oh a Rolex, so you like to show off?"
    Then you start to explain why it is an amazing tool watch and that a 1000 things are more flashy ... But some don't really get it! :)

I guess people have a love or hate relationship towards Rolex, the very mark of success for a brand...

Blog Entries
    In the line of "Oh a Rolex, so you like to show off?"
    Then you start to explain why it is an amazing tool watch and that a 1000 things are more flashy ... But some don't really get it! :)
    Ah, I see.

I guess people have a love or hate relationship towards Rolex, the very mark of success for a brand...
    Very true. :-)

Craftsman
    The only comment I have ever had from a friend was "What on earth is that watch your wearing?"

The answer was "an Orange Monster" to which he replied - "Very aptly named" in a not very complimentary tone.

Never had comments about Rolex or Omega I wear.

Craftsman
    Never had any comments but quite like chatting with folk I see if they ever have something nice on! In a friendly gesture way of course!:)

Spotted a gent on the tube in London with a full gold iwc portu 7 day, boy that thing was yummy!

Craftsman
    JLC Reverso - Sub possibly a favourite - a lady asked me about mine. She then told me a story (10 years or more ago). She had taken her terminally ill sister to NYC as they wanted to go for one final girls trip.

Whilst there her sister expressed great sadness at not being there for her sons 18th birthday (he was young- under 10 I think at the time). Her sister decided that they would buy a sub for the son to be given to him on his milestone birthday from his long passed mother.

They went hunting high and low but without success - eventually returning to the hotel as the ill sister had limited energy. Somewhat dejected she lay down for a rest. Her sister then went through every possible dealer in the phone book, finally finding one that in a dealer that had been pre ordered / reserved.

She explained the circumstances to the dealer, who contacted the customer, who in turn agreed to release the watch. Sub duly purchased much to the delight of the previously dejected sister. This was ultimately presented to the son many years later.

I'm not overly sentimental - but just so many aspects to this story that speak to all of the things that add to the enduring appeal of watches.

Actually, the wife's best friend always notices when I have a new watch, and she's not into watches at all.

I've had two compliments altogether. First was for my Fortis B-42 diver and the second for my Navitimer. Both were a simple "nice watch" comments at some party. I've tried to compliment several people on their watches, but the situation has always turned a little awkward. Don't know what I'm doing wrong...

My Grand Seiko has been commented on three times - either people into watches or who just thought it looked nice. No one has ever been interested in what brand it was.

Years ago, I had a basic Seiko quartz that somebody wearing a Sub once peered at and said, 'Is that the new Rolex?'

Only yesterday I had someone scrutinising my wrist to get a good look at my MM300 but it obviously did not provoke enough interest to ask about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Actually, the wife's best friend always notices when I have a new watch, and she's not into watches at all.
    Sounds like she is, however, into you
    Gray

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I have found more women comment on watches with me than men, I think it has more to do with the dress sense, and the whole combo,

nice nails, hands, jacket cuff, shirt cuff and watch.......when this is done well, in a nice combo, women love it