closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How I got to work this week.

Master

How I got to work this week.

Some of you know that I work offshore. Normally we travel by fixed wing aircraft to the Shetland Isles and then take a S92 Sikorsky helicopter out to the rig. Normally about a 5 hour round trip in total. Unfortunately due to the nice weather we're having in the UK this causes heavy fog to form around the norther North Sea as the warm air from the south meets the cold air from the north. Normally this can cause a few days of delay. Since it's been especially nice this fog has been hanging around for 3-4 weeks now. Flights are backed up by approximately 1 week, to a total of about 80+ flights waiting to travel out. This is the first time in 10 years I've done a boat transfer to a rig!

We're lucky enough to be on a floating rig (aka Semi Submersible) which is allowed to do boat transfers should it be needed. So on Tuesday I had a pleasant 26 hour sail up the East cost of Scotland, past Shetland, to the rig. Decided to take a few photos on the way up. Of course only with my phone so quality isn't great. Also the horizon is all over the place as well!

So 8am on Tuesday we gathered at a hotel in town and went through customs checks etc and got bused down to the dock prior to getting on our lovely boat :cough:.

Aberdeen harbor is quite a busy one with vessels of all sorts coming and going.

Our pilot boat for the trip out.

Old fishing village at the mouth of the harbor called Footdee. You can also see the old lighthouse and the harbor masters tower there.

Saying goodbye to the pilot boat.

Some general views of Aberdeen from the water

A really bad pic trying to capture the dolphins playing in the water :P

Normally the back of the boat would be cargo but there's only us on this little voyage north.

A bunch of vessels, usually tow boats for the rigs, just hanging about off the coast until a job starts up and a rig needs moved.

My Helson keeping me company on this voyage.

Our last view of the mainland. From this point onward there was nothing but ocean for about 15 hours or so. But thankfully it was during the night and we were all sleeping :P

One of the first rigs we've seen, about 2 hours or so from our one and about 24 hours into our journey.

And then we sailed right into the one thing thats causing us to be on the boat!

First view of our own rig

This is the Frog device that we use for personnel transfer. Self righting, buoyancy aids etc etc.

Everyone patiently waiting their turn for a transfer.

And of course still foggy :P

A few videos as well of us being moved to and from the rig in the Frog. TURN YOUR SOUND DOWN/OFF due to engine noise and static make it pretty unpleasant.

http://youtu.be/Q3jJhRSqVB4

http://youtu.be/ZIwaBV_-EwI

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Presumably in the Boysroom due to the high number of gussets and flanges?

Cool pics. Rig looks like it has seen some action
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master
    Very many thanks for taking the time to share the tale and the pics/videos. I always enjoy a bit of 'sea' and as an aside your post would be great for those with little tikes at home - to learn a bit about offshore oil industry.......

Hope you have a good stint out there. Cheers!

Great set of piccies, really appreciate your taking the time to post them.

Just a daft question - why do you have to go through customs formalities to go offshore, aren't you still in British territorial waters?

I did MIST training last year and they showed us a couple of videos showing what can go wrong with Frogs and boat transfers. Certainly made an impression on me. Hope your time on the rig goes quickly. Thanks for the pictures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey View Post
    Presumably in the Boysroom due to the high number of gussets and flanges?

Cool pics. Rig looks like it has seen some action
    Hah, not really watch talk and the forum doesn't seem to have a general off-topic forum. Couldn't think where else to put it.

Nothing in the north sea is shining and new any more.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Just a daft question - why do you have to go through customs formalities to go offshore, aren't you still in British territorial waters?
    Because we're not allowed to take out drugs, alchohol, knives or any other massive amount of prohibited items. So it's done by customs agents, airport security, or in this case members of the port authority. Also some rigs still sell duty free cigarettes so we can be searched on the return journey to see if we have more than we're allowed.
    Last edited by Bonesey; 5th August 2013 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Hah, not really watch talk and the forum doesn't seem to have a general off-topic forum. Couldn't think where else to put it.

Nothing in the north sea is shining and new any more.

Because we're not allowed to take out drugs, alchohol, knives or any other massive amount of prohibited items. So it's done by customs agents, airport security, or in this case members of the port authority. Also some rigs still sell duty free cigarettes so we can be searched on the return journey to see if we have more than we're allowed.
    Thanks for the post, always enjoyable to see the different aspect of other members working environments. The George & Dragon would be the usual venue for posts like this.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

What a fantastic photo-essay - thanks very much for taking the trouble to post them. Just goes to show what can be achieved with a phone camera too, as a lot of those images are pin-sharp.

Grand Master
    Great pics, my brother used to captain one of those supply ships for Toisa!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Aberdeen is nothing more than a glorified bus station

Cool post!

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing :)

Pretty much my entire (wife side) family work on the rigs but the closest I've been to one is on call of duty... :)

Journeyman
    Really Interesting post and great photos. Frog devise looked good fun.

Really interesting post, thanks. Would love to hear more about the job. How long do you spend on the rig in one go and how much time off do you get in between?

Just googled Toisa expecting to see a 'normal' PSV, ha she is a beauty isn't she ;) Which rig is it mate?
    PS in any case stay away from any moving bits and stay safe..
    Last edited by VDG; 5th August 2013 at 19:56.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Aberdeen is nothing more than a glorified bus station

Cool post!
    And not a particularly nice one either! Affectionately known as Aberdoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Really interesting post, thanks. Would love to hear more about the job. How long do you spend on the rig in one go and how much time off do you get in between?
    My jobs a strange one. A mix of chemistry, physics, logistics, management, engineering. A nice mish mash that usually means a bit of variety. At the moment I work 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off. Some folks do 2 on 2 off, some lucky few do 2 on 3 off. Some work 28 days on 28 day off rotations. Some could be on for two days then off someplace else. All depends on your job and the current operations.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Just googled Toisa expecting to see a 'normal' PSV, ha she is a beauty isn't she ;) Which rig is it mate?
    PS in any case stay away from any moving bits and stay safe..
    TransOcean John Shaw. She's due into Rotterdam for a lick of paint later on this year which she is darn well needing.

Great thread and really interesting getting an insight into someone else's occupation,perhaps you've started something here? Funnily enough I sold a bike to a guy today who was calling from a rig off the coast of Ghana ,I would rather have talked to him about his work than the bike

Smile

Cool pics. Thank you :)

Banned
    What an interesting and quite refreshing thread.

Master
    Thanks for the post. really interesting. We see lots of the supply vessels in and out of Great Yarmouth (just down the road from me). Cheers. Have a good 'un!

I work on stuff at the Sullom Voe Terminal in the Shetlands so know all about the delights of extended delays at Broomfield House or Scatsta given any crappy weather.

At least as an offshore bear you get priority on the fixed wing over us land-lubbers!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Customs is primairily about duties/taxes. They can and do set up shop anywhere.
    They can stop you anywhere they like to search you and your vehicle p.e. for the use of ´illegal´ fuel such as red diesel or wvo.

Some years back it was almost routine that they would set traps om crossroads here in andalucia. I ran the two tanks in my LandRover accordingly. In the central part of the Netherlands where I lived I used to see such traps at least monthly. Over there they would also focus on the cars themselves too.

As a small (but related) thread drift, I'm one of the guys who normally takes you guys to work:

As you can see, a very shaky iphone photo taken on deck, somewhere in the NS.

Master
    I would have noticed a Bremont so don't think you've flown me out yet ;)

See the occasional Breitling, G-shocks etc. Saw a pilot wearing what looked like a bead blasted CWC on a nato strap a month or two ago. Couldn't get close enough to see.

Thanks for taking the time to post such an interesting thread. 26 hours to get to work!!! wow.... makes my 10 minute drive look a bit pathetic.

Very interesting. There is truly a very diverse range of skills and professions on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    I would have noticed a Bremont so don't think you've flown me out yet ;)
    Nope, I don't fly S92s out of Scatsta. Actually, since that 'photo was taken, I've transferred away from the NNS. So I guess there is now little chance of our paths crossing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post such an interesting thread. 26 hours to get to work!!! wow.... makes my 10 minute drive look a bit pathetic.
    Yes, puts things in perspective.
    Same goes for the blokes that can´t get releaved because of good weather thus fog.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Indeed.
    Same goes for realising that that the good weather means that many, on different types of rigs, cannot be relieved either.

Great thread and pics - thanks for posting :)

That rig needs a lick of paint but I shall not be volunteering. Interesting thread ( and watch). Thanks for posting