closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A bit of Paypal help please.

Master
    Blog Entries

A bit of Paypal help please.

I've never had a Credit Card linked to my PP account, preferring a Debit Card for my general purchases if my PP account balance wasn't covered.

I've just linked a CC for the first time as a 'precaution' to an eBay purchase for a reasonably high four figure value item. The seller (Germany) has great feedback but only on low value items. I've asked questions since yesterday but they remain unanswered and the item listing ends in a few hours.

So i'm going to take a punt, though i obviously won't pay if i win, until there has been some communication at least. Does PP offer all the buyer protection i reasonably need, or have i done better for myself by linking a CC to the account now?

Sorry for the ramble but i simply don't have CC experience with PP.

As long as you follow the eBay and PP rules to the letter then you should be OK.... There is always a bit of risk though....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Payal is one level of protection, but if they decided against you in any claim, your Debit card and Credit card will offer protection over £100 due to consumer credit act, section 75.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thx, it seems i have done all i can to minimise fraud and hassle

You'll be fine, once you've won he will no doubt answer, it is the weekend which might explain why there was no reply

I bought something on eBay yesterday and I was offered the choice of deferred Paypal payment. Never happened before, but apparently I've got up to two weeks before I pay.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 18th August 2013 at 16:29.

Deferred payment seems to be a new initiative from Pay Pal and seems a useful extra level of protection.

Regards

Dougie

Craftsman
    Paypal protects the buyer 100% regardless if the buyer is the villain in a transaction, the seller is not protected and unless numerous fraud transactions against the member will always side with the buyer.

Paypal owned by eBay is a disgrace and I will only now buy or sell very low value items through it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Payal is one level of protection, but if they decided against you in any claim, your Debit card and Credit card will offer protection over £100 due to consumer credit act, section 75.
    How can a debit card be covered under the credit act? Unless things have changed recently, a debit card is the same as cash, no protection.

It would appear that you don't necessarily get any protection using your credit card in this manner?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...ng-goes-wrong/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    How can a debit card be covered under the credit act? Unless things have changed recently, a debit card is the same as cash, no protection.
    Sorry, my mistake – as the link above points out, Debit cards are handled through chargeback mechanism.
    Whilst not exactly the same as Section 75 for Credit card usage, it's essentially the same thing.
    Last edited by PJ S; 18th August 2013 at 23:31.

Master
    Paypal also only used to give you a month (or thereabouts) to raise a concern which is a concern in itself when it comes to overseas transactions as items could be sitting in port wating for customs clearance for over a week.Factor in dispatch time by the seller and then contact with the seller if anything is wrong and before you know it your 30 have passed,by which time Paypal don't want to know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Sorry, my mistake – as the link above points out, Debit cards are handled through chargeback mechanism.
    Whilst not exactly the same as Section 75 for Credit card usage, it's essentially the same thing.
    "Unlike Section 75 claims, this is a voluntary scheme operated by Visa and MasterCard that covers Maestro, Visa and Visa Electron debit cards. So unlike Section 75 it is not a legal requirement."

When someone took me for a few hundred pounds, Barclays basically said "tough luck". I was left to sort it out myself. Maybe they've since had pressure applied to be more helpful, but I now won't use a debit card for anything if I can use a credit card instead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Paypal also only used to give you a month (or thereabouts) to raise a concern which is a concern in itself when it comes to overseas transactions as items could be sitting in port wating for customs clearance for over a week.Factor in dispatch time by the seller and then contact with the seller if anything is wrong and before you know it your 30 have passed,by which time Paypal don't want to know.
    45 days, and irrespective of what the link above says about Paypal and credit card for payment, you have every right to ask your card provider to step in if you think Paypal have made the wrong decision.
    If the card provider doesn't find in your favour either, then you can dispute the payment and refer it to the Ombudsman.

Just because Paypal says no, doesn't mean that's the end of it.