closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Epiphany!

Epiphany!

Following a week away with the family spent on the Suffolk coast, I didn't read a newspaper or watch the news.

Never liked the media manipulation we get bombarded with these days and since cutting out all the crap they produce my life has turned a new corner. My wife thinks I've had a personality transplant, not that I thought I was a miserable git before, but it would appear the news made me rant....... alot!

Since coming back from our holiday I have continued this abstinance and I have to say, the important things in life become a lot clearer when you clear the clutter and background noise the media generates every day.

Give it a try, best thing I ever did.

Ps. Only problem is it has made me start to de-clutter a lot of other areas in my life, including my passion for watches and bikes . I've realised for me, one of what you like is more than enough and it doesn't need to cost the earth.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Following a week away with the family spent on the Suffolk coast, I didn't read a newspaper or watch the news.

Never liked the media manipulation we get bombarded with these days and since cutting out all the crap they produce my life has turned a new corner. My wife thinks I've had a personality transplant, not that I thought I was a miserable git before, but it would appear the news made me rant....... alot!

Since coming back from our holiday I have continued this abstinance and I have to say, the important things in life become a lot clearer when you clear the clutter and background noise the media generates every day.

Give it a try, best thing I ever did.

Ps. Only problem is it has made me start to de-clutter a lot of other areas in my life, including my passion for watches and bikes . I've realised for me, one of what you like is more than enough and it doesn't need to cost the earth.
    Other than in respect of women, of course. (If only.)

I've realised for me, one of what you like is more than enough and it doesn't need to cost the earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Other than in respect of women, of course. (If only.)
    Agreed. Women are an exception to the rule and generally cost the Earth

Master
    Agree - I never watch the news or read any newspapers as I realised a long time ago that it was mostly all negative and caused nothing but worry and anxiety.

The only down side is that people often say "how can you not know about [insert latest world event here]".

I literally have no idea what's going on. I heard about something going on in Syria only from a thread here which I stumbled upon!

Master
    Me too. I stopped reading newspapers or watching the news on TV several years ago.
    They only report stuff if it's celebrity related, miserable or sensational.
    Should be renamed Bad and/or Celebrity News.

Watching all the misery, suffering, corruption etc just pisses you off and you can't do anything about it anyway.

Not sure I agree, for obvious reasons. How do you take part as a member of the larger society if you don't know what's going on? Isn't it just a tad selfish to leave it to others?
    How do you have a good argument down the pub if you've not heard of the latest shocker?
    How do you even enter the Bear Pit and hope to bruise it out with its inhabitants?

Master
    Coincidentally, only yesterday I was googling for websites that only show positive / happy news stories - there are quite a few, but they were all a bit too "American sugar coated" so I didn't bother. But they do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Agree - I never watch the news or read any newspapers as I realised a long time ago that it was mostly all negative and caused nothing but worry and anxiety.

The only down side is that people often say "how can you not know about [insert latest world event here]".

I literally have no idea what's going on. I heard about something going on in Syria only from a thread here which I stumbled upon!
    I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be any the wiser about what's going on in Syria if you did watch the news or read the papers. I do both and I'm pretty sure for all the information that is being spouted I haven't the foggiest except that a gang of blokes with guns and bombs has taken a dislike to another bunch similarly equipped whilst they are being egged on by people who don't live in their country who should no better. It doesn't take a mind reader to figure out the arc of that story.

Banned
    Jason,
    I've done the same thing. I used to be a full on absorber of news, watched the regular news, the political shows, Newsnight etc.. then, when the Olympics was on, I was watching that 'full time' and forgot about the news, and it was great. I browse the BBC news website, but apart from that, I don't bother with the TV news at all.

You are right, it's all pretty miserable stuff, and I don't miss it.

Agreed. Women are an exception to the rule and generally cost the Earth
    As Roy 'Chubby' Brown says, "Women are like condoms, they are always in your wallet and never on your c*&$."

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Not sure I agree, for obvious reasons. How do you take part as a member of the larger society if you don't know what's going on? Isn't it just a tad selfish to leave it to others?
    How do you have a good argument down the pub if you've not heard of the latest shocker?
    How do you even enter the Bear Pit and hope to bruise it out with its inhabitants?
    I've come to the conclusion that media is there to shock, scare, panick, manipulate and dumb down the rest of society. It blames us, misleads us, tells us how we should feel, contradicts itself yet makes us feel responsible.

I realised being truthful to myself, that I don't give a flying fcuk if I'm lead to believe others (terrorists, governments, good guys, bad guys etc) want to kill me, kill themselves, rule the world, fight wars over natural resources, tell me what I should eat, what I shouldn't, take this pill, don't take that, latest research bollocks etc.

If it's not governments justifying their actions through media support, it's the world of "Celebrities" and who's fucking who, who's pregnant, who's divorced, check out my big house photo shoots. I don't know these people and really don't care. I love their movies and appreciate their talents and for those few who keep themselves away from the media spotlight, they have my respect.

I guess my priorites in life are those I have chosen to be important and feel I no longer require media input.

I've left the "flock".

Banned
    I stay away from News and Newspapers, but my dear old father visits 3 times a week and insist that I listen to his interpretation of the world in general, I keep saying I have know Idea what you are on about......but he continues undeterred.

The wife is an avid internet newspaper reader and I have finally got through to her that I don't need a running commentary on the latest exploits of Simon Effing Bowel and his up the tub bint on holiday.

Pretty much agree, Sky News gets a check on the phone 7am whilst still in my scratcher, then BBC1 at 6pm - two small windows to keep aware of world events, but not enough to start shouting LOL

Good post OP - I've done exactly the same thing.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that I don't have time to read everything.

Logically then, instead of letting newspaper editors decide what I read, I make my own choices.