closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideas for the wife's b'day, please!!

Ideas for the wife's b'day, please!!

I've decided to buy my wife a watch for her b'day (1st April). She has been wearing a Tag for the last 5 years but since having a baby it seems to give her a rash on her wrist from the case back. I assume that the Tag is stainless steel so she may have a mild reaction to that. Are most watches stainless steel?

I was going to look at a 1974 watch (her birth year) but I don't really know where to start looking for ideas. It can't be gold and I think a 'simple' design would be best.

I've just recieved this which, if it was smaller faced, would be ideal.

Budget about £200-£250ish.

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers

Pete

My wife hinted that she would like a 3 carat diamond solitaire for her birthday this year, does that help?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    My wife hinted that she would like a 3 carat diamond solitaire for her birthday this year, does that help?

Eddie
    Eddie,
    I think that your wife and mine are cut from the same cloth.
    She just got a 6 carat tanzanite stunner for her birthday.
    Me, all I got was a Seiko SKXA35 (the "Mellow Yellow"). Of course, that's what I asked for.
    At least I am getting some color in my collection. :D
    FWIW, I believe that diamonds are way overpriced. I don't think that they are nearly as "rare" and "valuable" as their marketing suggests. For the price of an excellent quality 3 carat diamond ($65,000+/- $10,000), you could get your wife 3 awe inspiring "keeper" pieces and one hell of a watch! One large diamond is nice, but a collection of extraordinary jewelry will make her the envy of the neighborhood. Or you could just get her a bunch of giant diamonds. :wink:
    Regards,
    Brian

Master
    Here y'are, Pete!

Hypo-allergenic and only a year off!

:wink: :wink:

Xpat,

Cheers but too 'fussy' for her! Needs to be nice and simple just like her husband!

Any more ideas?

Pete

Journeyman
    Sounds like a Lady Speedbird would be ideal. Too bad there aren't any.

However, the watch below to me sets the standard of what I'd like for her- indoors, and the price is fair although over my budget and your current one.

So not a helpful post - just something to drool over (nice clear face and loadzadiamonds):

Sinn 456

Thomas Reid
    Make sure to take her out to dinner, and, this is important, let her pick the restaurant. It could save you a lot of money.

I'm not exactly rolling in dough, but I saved my pennies and a few years ago took my wife out to dinner at what I thought was a great restaurant. It went well over £200 for two (I've conveniently forgot exactly how much, but I think it was pretty close to 300). My wife said that she would rather have gone to Loch Fyne, which, splurging, would have been about £75.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS As to watches. I got my wife a Mondaine watch (the one based on the railroad clocks) some time ago. She has been pleased with it, and wears it quite a bit. But, she's not into shiny.
    RLF

These come up regularly on e-bayfor less than £50.

They don't meet many of your tests but they are fabulous quality for the money. They also lack the standard Orient "Rothmans" logo.

My wife and, probably more important, her friends love hers.

It will be new so you could leve the plastic on the back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1
    Xpat, Cheers but too 'fussy' for her! Needs to be nice and simple just like her husband!

Any more ideas?

Pete
    Well, on a more serious note, perhaps the rash thing needs to be checked out first, maybe a gold-filled watch would do the trick - or how about titanium? Platinum? :shock:

You really need to know before buying, IMHO. Crusader's wife had/has a similar problem.

That question "are most watches stainless steel?" is interesting, never crossed my mind before :shock:

cheers,

Women are not into watches (gross generalisation!), that's the problem. With this in mind, you need to buy her a piece of jewellry which happens to tell the time. Gucci springs to mind, but there are many others in that overpriced fashion garbage price band.

Craftsman
    Oris do a nice pearl-faced rectangular ladies... Great make and pretty to look at

[See Friends Of Oris website]

Let us know what you decide on

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    What is it with women and diamonds? :roll:

Slip this into the DVD and if you are lucky she might change her mind.

Blood Diamond (2006)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450259/

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master
    A wristwatch watch might be a little impersonable, unless its feminine and not as masculine as the watch you show.