closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two more Smiths

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wainair View Post
    I can see your point but even with much practice I fear crossthreading crowns. I have many SDC autos but they all get me nervous. Maybe if the thread wasn't superfine. Nice and course and hard to crossthread.
    I fully agree with you on the course threads, Wainair. If practical, maybe even using the so-called "square" type threads for the crown to crown tube interfaces might help further prevent or preclude crossthreading, I don't know, but I think just using the course regular style threading as you mention would very likely be a definite improvement in that regard.

Rollon

The only watch which has never had a crown/thread problem (as far as I can recall) is the PRS-17 which has the thread on the inside of the tube instead of the outside.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman

..I'll take a Sheffield if the metal attaching the hands to the round are thickened..

..looking at the computer renderings that part looks very thin and could be prone to cracking/breaking if the fit through the canon pinion is tight and hands don't come off easily..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The only watch which has never had a crown/thread problem (as far as I can recall) is the PRS-17 which has the thread on the inside of the tube instead of the outside.

Eddie

Hi Eddie. I didn't know that your 17s have internal type crown tube threads and wonder if tightly toleranced crown stems or something like that these may have might give the crowns a snug, non-wobbly pre-threading lead-in fit in their crown tube raceways and that keeps everything lined up for an easy and proper initial mating of the threads?

To ask it another way, maybe the PRS-17 type crown design inherently prevents tilting the crown in relation to the crown tube so you can't cross-thread it?

If that is actually the case for the inversely threaded crown unit design as used in the PRS-17 series, and if you are satisfied that there are no technical or practical shortcomings to it in comparison to more conventional crown designs, it certainly sounds promising to me and I would think to many others also.

Not to step on that in any way, what up to now has made the most sense to me as regards crowns starts with the universally well tested, infinitely replaceable, and ubiquitously available generic Rolex case thread specification OysterCrown design crown tube. These are made in several different styles, materials, and sizes which helps widen their adaptability to a variety of watch designs.

Personally, I especially like the idea of using a softer cupro-nickel Rolex specification crown tube in combination with a 316L stainless steel case and crown. My reasoning is that the cupro-nickel of the crown tube, at least according to the information I've been able to source, has very close to the same Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (CTE) as the 316L so the tube, case, and crown should hopefully expand and contract in very near unison across the most radical extremes of temperature change a watch might theoretically be subject to (i.e. I'm thinking in terms of the tests, trials, and use that the NASA Speedmaster Professionals have been put through).

Also in the same vein as regards their compatible metallurgic properties, both cupro-nickel and 316L (which is a high nickel stainless steel) have a relatively very low "Ductile to Brittle Transition Temperature" (DBTT), which makes each suitable for use in even extreme cryogenically cold conditions and often recommended for such by metallurgic engineers working with industry and government. Both metals are highly corrosion resistant as well.

More to the point, though, of using cupro-nickel for the crown tube is its softness in relation to the 316L stainless steel of case and crown. The Rolex specification case to crown tube threads are quite fine and in periodically changing the crown tube, I'd want all the wear and chance of stripping to occur with the easily replaceable crown tube and not the often irreplaceable case. Also, the cupro-nickel crown tube to 316L crown Rolex Oyster spec threading is much coarser than the case to tube threading, but I think it nice that if daily use or mishap wears or strips threading, it will, hopefully, likely be just that of the somewhat softer, and least expensive to replace, crown tube. In other words, you probably would only ever have to use a new cupro-nickel crown tube for most minor repairs like thread stripping and/or for maintaining the watch's water resistance after just replacing the seals in the harder 316L stainless steel crown that should otherwise still be undamaged and unworn to any significant degree even after much use and even some abuse like accidently being crossthreaded onto the softer cupro-nickel crown tube.

While I'm at it, there's another thing many have said is very important related to screw-down crowns having the large Rolex Oyster type donut shape gasket at the inside top of the crown cap designed to bear tightly against the top of the crown tube when the crown is fully screwed down into battery. And that is the necessity to make sure there is enough clearance between the base of the crown cap and its seat on the case so that the fully screwed down crown can never reach or touch, or in any way bear against the case itself no matter how compressed and worn and/or contracted by extremely cold temperatures, etc., etc., the crown top gasket may become over time and long use and the harshest conditions and etc.,. In other words, the crown's travel as it is being screwed down should only ever be stopped by the fully compressed gasket, and never by the case. Otherwise, a faulty or compromised WR seal at the crown can occur.

Rollon
    Last edited by Rollon; 1st February 2013 at 11:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    ..looking at the computer renderings that part looks very thin and could be prone to cracking/breaking if the fit through the canon pinion is tight and hands don't come off easily..
    Hi Lamstew. Until you mentioned it, I didn't notice how thin that interconnecting section of the hands on the new cushion Smiths as rendered seems to be. My own guess would be that the mock-up computer illustrations just aren't yet exactly accurate in that particular regard to the actual hands that will eventually be used, but you're right, they do look delicate that way.

I think I've read in the past that even only somewhat high levels of G-force that might be normal to one's activities can warp or bend watch hands if too lightly constructed, and/or not made of a resilient metal like spring-tempered steel perhaps. I also remember reading about an IWC sponsored comparison test of their MkXII, I think, pilot's watch put against a number of competitors and several of those suffered warped hands from the G-forces of stunt flying, IIRC, while others, including the IWC, did not.

Rollon
    Last edited by Rollon; 29th January 2013 at 17:21.

Eddie
    So is there a reason that design is not used more often?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaine View Post
    Any updates on these watches Eddie. My wife, who rarely shows any interest or enthusiasm for watches (and usually complains about how much I'm spending), actually commented that she liked the cushion case rendering. I have to get one now!
    I received offers on both these watches and they were unexpectedly high. Despite the fact that they are comparatively simple watches and don't have a bracelet, they would be more expensive than the Speedbird III, which makes no sense. They're now on the back-burner unless they can come up with a better price.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Wise decision, shame about the square one though - it would have been special.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SternG View Post
    Wise decision, shame about the square one though - it would have been special.
    +1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    +1
    +2

Any updates on the cushion cased Smiths?

I like the look of the 34mm smiths with arabic dial.

Craftsman

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    I like the look of the 34mm smiths with arabic dial.
    So do i. Shame about the price issue.

Prefer the numbered dial, that's really nice.

OK, I'll ask the question that matters. Are those two still on the back-burner, Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by SternG View Post
    OK, I'll ask the question that matters. Are those two still on the back-burner, Eddie?
    I've delayed the manufacture of these because of all the recent and forthcoming new models but they will still happen, the movements have already been bought.

Eddie

I've delayed the manufacture of these because of all the recent and forthcoming new models but they will still happen, the movements have already been bought.

Eddie

Sounds good.

I keep on coming back to this thread. It's not all about the Dreadnought y'know!

So will one or both of these models have an exhibition caseback?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 20th October 2013 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    I am one of the minority interested in 36mm round case one.

Look forward to hearing something.
    I like the look of that one too, I have been keeping a weather eye on FleaBay for the original but they seem to go for a lot of money. A TF homage would suit me fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I like the look of that one too, I have been keeping a weather eye on FleaBay for the original but they seem to go for a lot of money. A TF homage would suit me fine!
    Why do you think it would be an homage? Why not re-edition or revival?

Eddie

Why do you think it would be an homage? Why not re-edition or revival?

Eddie
    Sorry Eddie, I was simply copying the language of a previous poster on this thread - who I see has now edited his post to remove the word 'homage'! Is homage a dirty word round these parts?

Anyway, a re-edition or revival sounds better! More accurate too give the significant spec upgrades.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 19th January 2014 at 06:35.

Master
    Also very glad to know these are still on track. If the specifications for the casing of the "Cushion" remain open to comment and development at this point, I still personally hope the crystal is the tougher and more vintage congruent domed and "armoured" steel tension ring secured acrylic type and the crown/crown tube unit is the now generically available Rolex specification OysterCrown design for premium and optimum durability and performance, easy maintainability and world-wide access to replacement parts, etc., ................................

I'd prefer that type construction because I think such a watch as this new TF Smiths deserves to meet the standards Rolex set back in the late 1920s and into the '30s with its own cushion case Oysters. Even British companies contemporary with Rolex were pursuing the same idea and, I think, optimum approach of comprehensively securing a wristwatch against the elements and hazards an owner wearing it might be put up to > http://www.artdecowatches.co.uk/prod...-watch_112.htm
    Last edited by Rollon; 5th November 2013 at 05:53.

Eddie

That's really, really nice Eddie. Love the details. :)

Master
    Cool - has the Norks logo.

Got to love that strap too - really suits the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    That's really, really nice Eddie. Love the details. :)
    +1 ...so Eddie found a use for his quilted strap. Looks good!

Craftsman
    Very nice indeed! A very smart watch.

Master

Smile Another winner!

Wow really like that, the shape of the case, hands, logo and crown is perfect :)

Eddie

Master
    You tease :)

Oh my. That is nicely executed, Eddie. That might go to the top of the list for me (even ahead of the SBIII).

Rick

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Number 21 please Eddie, thanks old mucker!

Eddie

Looks like it wears larger than it's dimensions, just as you said it would.

It's lovely. That definitely has my name on it.

Apprentice
    Oi Perfection :) beautiful watch, exceeds expectations!

Craftsman

Eddie
    How about a Lume shot or two?

I like that A LOT.

Lug width? 18mm?

Master
    Lug Width 20mm - more here http://www.timefactors.com/smiths.htm

Yours for £395
    Last edited by Dazzler; 22nd September 2014 at 16:04.

Your wish is my command.

Eddie

Craftsman
    Very Nice! Thank you good Sir.

Eddie that is simply beautiful. Having followed it since the drawings stage I didn't think it would end up looking this good.

Congrats.

Congratulations. That came out a treat.

That is beautiful.

Very nice looking watch, Eddie. This will be my first watch purchase in quite a while (a year or even more).

Master
    Excellent looking watch - love the strap

That looks stunning Eddie!! Fantastic job!

Gorgeous.
    Couldn't imagine it will be so nice.
    Like Sheffield name on the dial very much.
    Congrats.

Simple and Elegent, is a beautiful looking watch Eddie.

Great attention to detail and if I was in the market for a smart dress watch this would be a definite candidate.