closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BT Infinity Homehub Upgrade

BT Infinity Homehub Upgrade

I've just upgraded from Option 1 to Option 2 and currently have a Homehub 3. Is there any value in upgrading to Homehub 4 with the increased speed available?
    Last edited by bonzo697; 5th September 2013 at 11:44.

I'm bumping this as I changed my question.

I wouldn't bother as they are bringing out a 5 by the end of the year.
    F.T.F.A.

^I know, but that will be a more expensive combined modem/router. The Homehub 4 is only £35

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    ^I know, but that will be a more expensive combined modem/router. The Homehub 4 is only £35
    What's a combined modem/router?

One box router/modem, rather than the current two box option.

Master
    I'm a bit disappointed with BT at the moment. They came to install phone. broadband and tv yesterday. Engineer was bone idle - decided to connect the tv to theold box froma previous resident. The socket for this is in our hallway but he happily expected us to find and run a cable throughout 50% of our house. Then he told us we would not get the Vision box for another week and also that BT Sport (although part of the deal) was not actually available in our area.
    We are cancelling the contract because they are so poor and the service so far has left a very bad taste in our mouths. The internet speed was not as good as Virgin either so back we go to our old supplier.

I only have one box now, that's why I'm confused...

^ If you have BT Broadband you will have one box - the Homehub router. If you have BT Infinity you will have an additional box which is the BT modem. When Homehub 5 is released they will be combined in one box.

^ If you have BT Broadband you will have one box - the Homehub router. If you have BT Infinity you will have an additional box which is the BT modem. When Homehub 5 is released they will be combined in one box.
    Gotcha - can't get infinity where I am so hadn't looked into that.

Cheers.

So does anyone have comparative experience of both Homehub 3 & 4?

No experience of 4 But we are on Fusion and only need one box, IE home hub 3. It has not been a prob once settled down as apparently they have a learning curve of about three weeks, If you swap you would have to sake BT to cancell all your present settings and start from fresh with new hub. DON'T let them fob you off I had to have this done once or twice and once with engineer in front of me on phone asking for line re set.

My Infinity is due to switch to Option 2 tomorrow, so bumping this just in case anyone has direct experience of Homehub 4. Is it worth the £35?

BT contacted me and said they were going to upgrade me to Infinity 75Mb from my original 8Mb broadband free of charge. I booked a technician in a month ago who worked his magic at the exchange then came around to the house and wired up the new modem and the Home Hub 4. Took him about 15 minutes.

Regarding the Home Hub, It seems pretty good in some ways but only satisfactory in others.
    I have had no problem connecting with any devices and the range seems excellent. The last time I had a home hub it was a Home Hub 1 and it had difficulty reaching the furthest bedroom with its signal. This one has no problems like that but it doesn't seem to rebroadcast the SSDP signal from my NAS across the network so my TV doesn't like it and wants to be plugged in via CAT5. Not the end of the world but a little irritating as this should be something I can adjust in the firmware.

I wish there were a few more settings I could tinker with in the firmware and I think that it only has a single 1ghz port on the back but really, for what it is, it does a good job.

I have a TP-Link Archer C7 that i'm considering replacing it with but I know I will have to sit there and play with the settings and port forwarding to get my NAS working properly and I can't be bothered at the moment when this one is doing a decent job.

I didn't pay for mine. They posted it to me a couple of days before the technician got here. for £35 though, I don't think i'd be too upset.

That said, They are bringing out the V5 soon which has the modem built in.

I'm not sure my rambling has been any use to you but if it helps I think the speed of the infinity connection is brilliant. I'm made up with it. It's nothing like the 28,8 modem I was using when I was a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    The internet speed was not as good as Virgin either so back we go to our old supplier.
    Virgin are scumbags but their broadband is excellent. I pay for 60mb and I get 60mb.

Unfortunately, however, they're very aware of the fact that it's good and use it as an excuse to be awful at every other aspect of their business.

Another upside of being a Virgin customer is that you don't have to deal with BT, who are also scumbags.

So does anyone have comparative experience of both Homehub 3 & 4?
    Yes, HH4 is more stable, much higher wireless speeds and doesn't drop my NAS and network printer every other day like the HH3 did.

The difference in Wireless speed is significant, up from 15Mb on average to:

With 4-5 network intensive tablets, Internet radios and photo frames streaming away too.

I think I'll give it a try once the upgrade is done, and looking on eBay I'll probably get more than my money back if it doesn't work out.
    Don't people realise that BT sell BT routers?

Happy with this. The transistion was smooth, although the speed is still fluctuating a lot. I guess it will have to settle in again? Got HH4 on the way next week
    Last edited by bonzo697; 12th September 2013 at 22:26.

Tonight's a bit faster:

A couple of weeks in and the HH4 appears far more reliable than the HH3. The upgrade to Infinity 2 has been worthwhile too. There's a noticeable difference in on-demand downloads, and uploading to Photobucket, eBay is much quicker.

I wish Sky would offer this option - I hate clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed with BT at the moment. They came to install phone. broadband and tv yesterday. Engineer was bone idle - decided to connect the tv to theold box froma previous resident. The socket for this is in our hallway but he happily expected us to find and run a cable throughout 50% of our house. Then he told us we would not get the Vision box for another week and also that BT Sport (although part of the deal) was not actually available in our area.
    We are cancelling the contract because they are so poor and the service so far has left a very bad taste in our mouths. The internet speed was not as good as Virgin either so back we go to our old supplier.
    That doesn't surprise me at all. BT are the most horrible company I've ever dealt with. When I get the thankfully sporadic sales calls I tell them I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

I limit my dealings with them to on-line, and so far everything has been delivered as as promised. My human experience with them is poor, and I know that receiving the promised £40 Sainsbury's voucher will be a struggle.