closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UFC

UFC

Is this the right forum to ask if there are UFC fans here? That's about the only thing I watch on TV aside from the occasional golf (prefer ladies competition!).

Still can't accept how badly Oriental fighters fare in the octagon. Being Chinese, I am hoping for an occidental break through act.

Quote Originally Posted by psikat View Post
    Is this the right forum to ask if there are UFC fans here? That's about the only thing I watch on TV aside from the occasional golf (prefer ladies competition!).

Still can't accept how badly Oriental fighters fare in the octagon. Being Chinese, I am hoping for an occidental break through act.
    Would you class Cung Le as oriental? He is a great fighter. Kazuo Misaki was a favourite fighter of mine but he recently retired.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Would you class Cung Le as oriental? He is a great fighter. Kazuo Misaki was a favourite fighter of mine but he recently retired.
    Cung Le is a great fighter but I'm not sure how rounded he is. Always good to watch though.

Plenty of good japanese fighters too.

Well I don't mind watching ladies play either.

I do enjoy watching MMA - but far too old to consider participation, I studied a number of martial arts growing up - but there was not local MMA or outlet for it in my youth - I did however do some training on Brazil some years ago and met a couple of the Gracie family.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    Cung Le is a great fighter but I'm not sure how rounded he is. Always good to watch though.

Plenty of good japanese fighters too.
    He probably is not the best at wrasslin! Or Jiu Jitsu, but he Ko'd Rich Franklin in spectacular fashion

Last edited by studly; 12th September 2013 at 22:06.

I'm sure Dana White is rooting around for a PRC Chinese fighter to launch UFC into China. Given the size of the population, PPV there is potentially a huge money churner.

I'm sure Dana White is rooting around for a PRC Chinese fighter to launch UFC into China. Given the size of the population, PPV there is potentially a huge money churner.
    Maybe, but i think he is more than happy at the moment for getting onto Fox, they still have a lot to do in the USA.

A fan here - got into it a few yrs back. i was travelling around in Laos and bumped into a guy who is a current signed UFC fighter (albeit not very good and lost 3 of his fights in the Octagon...) but gave me a good insight into the sport. It still lacks the glamour of boxing but is getting there and Dana White is doing an excellent job of promoting. The problem I see is the lack of quality heavyweights, we love the big men slogging it out, but the current crop are not great. The same goes with boxing....maybe heavyweights are a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A fan here - got into it a few yrs back. i was travelling around in Laos and bumped into a guy who is a current signed UFC fighter (albeit not very good and lost 3 of his fights in the Octagon...) but gave me a good insight into the sport. It still lacks the glamour of boxing but is getting there and Dana White is doing an excellent job of promoting. The problem I see is the lack of quality heavyweights, we love the big men slogging it out, but the current crop are not great. The same goes with boxing....maybe heavyweights are a dying breed?
    Yep they are having a hard time finding good heavyweights, if you are any good then you have a great chance of getting in. I remember watching some video a while back with Joe Rogan where this middleweight Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guy was hounding him after a training session to put in a good word with Lorenzo and Rogan joked "Can you make heavyweight?"

I remember reading somewhere that Tyson Fury was wanting into the UFC?

Who was the figher you met in Laos, a UK fighter? Did this fighter lose three fights in a row?

Craftsman
    The most exciting fighter in the UFC is oriental! Korean Zombie.

Been a big fan for years but I must admit it is waning slightly recently. No longer stay up watching full cards and only catch a few fights the next day. Think they could be struggling for big draws in a few years. Guys like Jon Jones and Rory McDonald are absolute machines but they don't get the fans interested the way Silva or even GSP do (despite his fights being seen as 'boring' by some).

Really can't think of many fights I am looking forward to, and the next season of TUF will be Penn vs Edgar which has 0 interest for me. Penn should have retired long ago, I'll be shocked if he even makes it to 145pounds.

Master
    I'm a big fan of the UFC. I have been following MMA for almost 20 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Really can't think of many fights I am looking forward to, and the next season of TUF will be Penn vs Edgar which has 0 interest for me.
    The fight that I am looking forward to is GSP vs. Johnny Hendricks. Hendricks is such a beast. It will be interesting to see how GSP handles him.

I'm also a huge MMA fan (check my avatar). Lots of great fights on the horizon, but NOT interested in watching retreads like Rampage, Tito, or BJ. Gotta say I was excited when I heard about a possible fight at 185 between Lyoto and Nick...what an odd combo that would have made, but great to witness.

At Heavyweight, I think Travis Browne is right up there with Cain and JDS, but we'll see...

I have seen a UFC event live once in Birmingham from a nose bleed seat. I have stuck to ringside TV since.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alljay View Post

The fight that I am looking forward to is GSP vs. Johnny Hendricks. Hendricks is such a beast. It will be interesting to see how GSP handles him.
    Not watched it in ages but had a browse of the UFC site last night and that one did jump out as a potential cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well I don't mind watching ladies play either.

I do enjoy watching MMA - but far too old to consider participation, I studied a number of martial arts growing up - but there was not local MMA or outlet for it in my youth - I did however do some training on Brazil some years ago and met a couple of the Gracie family.
    Which Gracie family members? I am a fan, but the last few years it's become a bit tedious. Seems if you are good at boxing, and wrestling with the ability to defend takedowns and submissions you will be unstoppable.

He probably is not the best at wrasslin! Or Jiu Jitsu, but he Ko'd Rich Franklin in spectacular fashion

Looks like he KO'd Jim Carrey to me!!

Been a fan for around 3 years, when I took up karate. Enjoy GSPs fights and enjoy watching how the guys train and the different methods they use.

Best sport on TV for me, although I agree with the consensus on here re Heavyweights. Agree that GSP v Hendrinks will be ace.

To think that I used to watch WWF and desperately wanted to believe that perhaps not everything was scripted.
    On the topic of drama, I hope Anderson Silva makes a positive comeback. Despite the loss, I still think he's the best around.

Master
    To think that I used to watch WWF and desperately wanted to believe that perhaps not everything was scripted.
    On the topic of drama, I hope Anderson Silva makes a positive comeback. Despite the loss, I still think he's the best around.
    Can't help thinking that if he'd not clowned around he'd probably have won that fight. You see him do things like the front stamp kick knockout or the jab knockout of Forrest Griffin and he made good fighters look very ordinary.
    I get the impression that being champion for so long and the weight of expectation got to him - he's been a bit erratic in his last few fights.

An Anderson Silva with no pressure on him could be a very good fighter to watch.

I think he subconsciously wanted to lose. May his come back prove easier than Tiger Woods'.

Haven't seen an event since they ended with ESPN.

We have BT broadband, but our landline is with another provider. And when i try to sign up for free BT Sport, It won't let me.

Have to pay the £15 a month for HD, which i don't mind so much. What i do mind, is the initial £15 start up charge.

So out of principal, we haven't signed up.

Interesting fight, who do you think is the better wrestler, hard to say? Johnny has the knock out power but i wonder if GSP will keep him at bay with the jab. GSP always has a good game plan, i wonder what it will be for this one? Hard to see him trying to wrestle himself to a decision with Hendricks. Hendricks by TKO or GSP by TKO.

As for the Silva fight, i think he was scared of Weidman. When Wiedman took him to the ground i think he shat bricks. He started his usual taunting to get Weidman to trade, but after a couple of failed head kicks i think he started to lose faith in his ability to land on Weidman, lost control for a min and then got koed.

Craftsman
    I'm a huge fan, I'm really looking forward to the Jones vs Gustafsson fight as for once Jon Jones won't have reach advantage.
    My favourites are the lighter weight fighters, their work rate is insane.

Omegamanic which Gracie's did you meet.

Chan sung Jung the Korean zombie is normally such a beast shame about the Aldo fight. Going back to the OP there are a few Korean fighters signed to the ufc.
    Anyway now I know there are fans on here I'll be posting up more.

Master
    Interesting fight, who do you think is the better wrestler, hard to say? Johnny has the knock out power but i wonder if GSP will keep him at bay with the jab. GSP always has a good game plan, i wonder what it will be for this one? Hard to see him trying to wrestle himself to a decision with Hendricks. Hendricks by TKO or GSP by TKO.
    I think that Hendricks will be too strong for GSP. I have been a huge fan of GSP for years, but in his last few fights, his speed seems to have gone and he is getting his a lot more than he did in his earlier fights. I think that Hendricks will rush GSP and pin him on the ring and punch away. But, Hendricks might be too aggressive and end up getting caught in a submission.

My bet is a Hendricks TKO, but if GSP wins, he will do it with a rear naked choke.

Master
    I think that Hendricks will be too strong for GSP. I have been a huge fan of GSP for years, but in his last few fights, his speed seems to have gone and he is getting his a lot more than he did in his earlier fights. I think that Hendricks will rush GSP and pin him on the ring and punch away. But, Hendricks might be too aggressive and end up getting caught in a submission.

My bet is a Hendricks TKO, but if GSP wins, he will do it with a rear naked choke.

This is the one I am looking forwards too ! It would be really interesting to see what Hendricks do because he started as a wrestler so he has where to go if the punches don't work out...
    My other favorite fighter at the moment is Carlos Condit, just because he never gives up, fighting from whichever position he finds himself in.
    I think he should have won the fight with Hendricks to be honest but Hendricks' take downs looked good to the judges and lost him the fight...Great against knappman though...

Yep they are having a hard time finding good heavyweights, if you are any good then you have a great chance of getting in. I remember watching some video a while back with Joe Rogan where this middleweight Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guy was hounding him after a training session to put in a good word with Lorenzo and Rogan joked "Can you make heavyweight?"

I remember reading somewhere that Tyson Fury was wanting into the UFC?

Who was the figher you met in Laos, a UK fighter? Did this fighter lose three fights in a row?
    He's American - he had lost his UFC debut and then went to regroup practicing Muay Thai. The chaps name is David Mitchell - he spends more time now coaching I believe. He only started fighting at 26 and was pro by 31! Incredibly talented, just started out too late to really make an impact sadly.

Hendriks is a monster, I still remember that one punch he used to knock out that (Swedish?) lad.

Craftsman
    Any thoughts on the recent Jon Jones gustafsson fight?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    Any thoughts on the recent Jon Jones gustafsson fight?
    I my opinion, Gustafson won, three clear rounds and a couple of good ones for Jones where he showed real brilliance and spirit but too late as far as I am concerned.
    Gustafsson could come back to take the belt with a bit more experience.

Craftsman
    Agree. Significant strikes and take downs were in gustafasson's favour but to be the champ you have to win decisively.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Which Gracie family members? I am a fan, but the last few years it's become a bit tedious. Seems if you are good at boxing, and wrestling with the ability to defend takedowns and submissions you will be unstoppable.
    I can't honestly remember their names - one of them was only visiting from the states and the locals were making a big fuss over them - I'd ask the ex-missus, as she would know, and her brother had a few MM fights, but I'd rather not ;)

Bizarrely, a good few years ago, but after I'd been in Brazil, I was on holiday in the Caribbean and a guy came up to me (I was wearing the Gracie Sport t-shirt I'd bought in Brazil) and offered to set up a fight for me - he'd cover all the flight, accommodation etc. costs and make sure I got paid a decent amount for my troubles, apparently his son was a top MMA fight promoter - I may have looked like the right man for the job - but I'd have been killed lol
    It's just a matter of time...