closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WIStory - What a Journey

WIStory - What a Journey

Where does my story begin? Well it all started many moons ago when I was reading an article about someone travelling overseas and it was mentioned how cool their watch was. It was a Sinn 156 on a Bund strap. The more I surfed the net the more I came to appreciate what this watch was, history of Sinn and the now infamous Lemania 5100 movement. I had to have one and after saving for what seemed an eternity I eventually had the cash to purchase. I then had to wait a further 4 weeks before a mint condition watch came up for sale. When it finally arrived the enjoyment of opening that first "proper" watch planted the seeds of watch collecting. It was awesome!

So my WIS journey began and fascinated by this particular movement, The Sinn EZM1 was next on my list.

Then followed my collection of military chronos including Heuer, Tutima, Orfina and Lemanias

Added to my collection was the appreciation of vintage Omegas, which peaked with the ownership of not just 1, but over the years, 3 Speedmaster Grails

Followed by some lovely divers too

I never really liked Rolex, I guess because of the stereotype wearer, having worked in the City during the 90's, but over time that perception changed, especially with the vintage submariners and GMT's. Ownership soon followed.

Next followed an interest in Panerai's. I guess I wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

I loved their unique design, appreciated their hertitage, but I just kept banging them into door frames! I guess my arms move too much for them to remain safe on my wrists, so they had to go.

At this stage, and appreciating all thing vintage, I ended up with just 3 watches, and at this time I thought I had the perfect trio

Now I love Rolex, I love military, I love Submariners, and I only wanted 1 watch (not sure this latter will ever be acheived but I think I might be close). Military Submariner was the ultimate "Grail" for any WIS. I thought this would be my perfect watch. Thanks to MW my dream came true in a slightly "civilianised" MilSub, but with all the right DNA and provenance.

I think opening this when it arrived was most probably the peak of my WIS journey. I was awe struck, especially as I never believed I would ever hold one, let alone own one!

Problem for me though was I had reached my peak. All I could now do was look down and reminisce over all the waches I had wanted and subsequently owned. I had just one watch which I could not believe I owned, sitting on my wrist. But something started to niggle deep inside my head. I didn't feel comfortable wearing this watch day to day. This was a very expensive "beater" and I soon came to realise if I only ever wanted one watch, regardless of when I was wearing it, this "Grail" of mine was not going to be the one.

I guess at this time, my passion for collecting watches was beginning to wane. Collecting, especially pristine examples of vintage watches invariably means they will spend most of their life sitting in a safe. I realised I was not that type of collector, and didn't need a load of money tied up in watches that would be rarely worn. I wanted a watch that combined vintage charm, style and iconic looks, that was tough enough to deal with all that life has to throw at it. A casual and when required formal watch was needed.

I trawled our Friday threads and online watch stores for inspiration, but to no avail. To be honest over the last 3 months my quest has been futile. Nothing was getting me excited. I was beginning to think I had lost my passion for watches. I then reminisced over all the watches I had owned and one watch kept coming to mind. It was understated class, pure and simple. I put a WTB and was soon contacted by a fellow forum member. He didn't have the particular model I was after but it was very similar, so I took the plunge in order to indulge my curiosity and be sure I was heading in the right direction.

The IWC 3538. I love everything about this style of watch. The titanium casing is excellent and the bracelet system fantastic. I love these early IWC Aquatimers. I feel in a way they are a "best kept secret". Fantastic technology has gone into the design of these 2000m divers. The highly modified ETA 2892 movement is nothing special but very reliable.

Having realised I was now heading in the right direction, I feel my WIStory is finally coming to an end (at least for now). My next incoming will most probably be my last for sometime, but I feel the IWC 3536 is going to be my perfect watch. Full write up to follow once she arrives.

It's been a strange journey in many ways and guess I've come full circle. I have the finances to choose pretty much any watch I like right now, but I have come to realise of late, expensive watches are not fun for me. They become too precious and wearing them becomes a responsibility, rather than an enjoyment. For someone who has spent the last 10 years collecting watches, I feel strangely content in acknowledging this realisation and will now be happy having finally reached my destination.

The end.
    Last edited by Chinnock; 24th September 2013 at 11:11.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

A great read Jason. Thanks for sharing.

Great post. Nice to see someone with taste on the forum.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

What a great read!

Changing tastes are something we all do after a few years; I went from vintage, to 'high street' divers to 'high street' chronos, now I seem to be concentrating more on in-house movements and historic brands.

I haven't lost my love of collecting and owning yet and am hopefully a long way from reducing to one watch :)

The incoming IWC is a stunner... I'd still want a daily, a dress and a vintage though at the very least ;)

Interesting to see how your tastes how changed over time - and now I wonder if you'll be tempted to go back to some of your older stuff to see how it feels now?

Craftsman
    Holy crap, some journey! Lovely pieces there, thanks for the read!

I like your taste dude! A mil sub is high on my wishlist!!

This gave me a semi.

JLC on leather and McQueen on a bracelet and it's a perfect trio.

Craftsman
    Great and fascinating read, thanks for sharing.

Master
    Great story, thanks for sharing.
    Some great watches there and I can't help admiring but I hope my journey is less expensive than yours!

Chinnock, I really can understand how you came to aquire all those exquisite military chronographs.
    But for the life of me, I cannot grasp how you came to part with any of them.
    You have great taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    They become too precious and wearing them becomes a responsibility, rather than an enjoyment.
    Sometimes when reading through threads, lines such as Chinnock's shown above, jump out at me and linger a while.
    This particular one also offers a crumb of comfort should the watch of your dreams appear unobtainable.

Forpetesake.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 25th September 2013 at 23:05.

Blog Entries
    good read Jason and I totally get how you feel right now. I have reached a similar point having recently bought a new type black dial Explorer II. I loved the McQueen Explorer II but at that age and value it is simply to impractical to be a daily wearer. Since getting my Explorer II nothing else is getting a look in. For the first time in many years WIS Nirvana has been achieved by me too.
    Its nice to visit Sales Corner and not wondering what you are going to want to buy.

Craftsman
    Thanks for taking the time, I enjoyed your journey.
    I find the IWC bracelets are particularly attractive.

Master
    Another fascinating insight into a WIS's journey.

Excellent read.

scooter

A good read and some great watches along the way! I wonder how you managed to pass along that trinity!

Really enjoyed your story. And you really finished with a lovely pair of Aquatimers. I'm looking for one also, only in steel.

Blog Entries
    That's some trajectory! I think it's interesting to see how one's tastes change over time - and of course to reflect on the areas in which they stay the same. I'm halfway to thinking I could trim my vastly more modest collection to 3 watches and not really miss any of the others; I'd keep the De Ville Hour Vision (for dress wear), the Planet Ocean (all the dive watch anyone needs, IMO) and the Speedy Pro (for all other situations), but no doubt the siren song of acquisition would make itself heard before too long.

I sometimes wonder at the idea of "one-watch Nirvana", though: sure, it allows one to step off the Wheel of Becoming and all that good, non-materialist jazz, but I think I'd feel constrained.

Master
    Thanks for sharing, and sounds like you've enjoyed the journey. I do admire the relative restraint you show, and I wish you happy nirvana.............. I'm heading in a similar direction (different watch/es) but think it's going to get difficult to identify the remaining few in due course - mainly because it's a discretionary journey and not motivated by a need to be sensible.

Craftsman
    A very interesting article. It's very helpful and insightful to hear others explain how and why they have built / reduced their watch collections, and it always gives a fresh perspective.

Lovely watches you have gone through, thanks for sharing! Makes me want to try an Aquatimer! :)

Great post and write up Jason you have owned some real beauties. Like you say some of the big guns become a quest to get and then you find they are unwearable day to day. IWC is not a brand I have tried and will have to give one a go, enjoy what you have left!

Good read Jason and something most of us old timer WIS'es can relate to.

I do love the look of the IWC 3536 but have never owned one They were a bit of a cult watch some time back around here but you rarely see them on SC now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Chinnock, I really can understand how you came to aquire all those exquisite military chronographs.
    But for the life of me, I cannot grasp how you came to part with any of them.
    You have great taste.

I agree,i am surprised you haven't gone back to that first sinn.

Master
    What an interesting write up. That first Sinn is a beauty, but then so is your IWC pair.

Master
    Fantastic read man.

That black Rolex GMT on black nato sings to me.

Edit: I have figured it out. It's the bezel and red gmt hand that do it for me. The current (3?) GMT master has a green hand right? Which version is that?
    Last edited by KurtKlaus; 29th September 2013 at 11:20.

Master
    The first Sinn is a beauty, as mentioned by others. I was expecting your first watch to pop up as the last - in a full circle! Some lovely watches on your journey though - enjoy the IWCs and thanks for a brilliant write up.

The oddest thing for me is that while I can totally relate to where you're coming from, having several changes of focus and flipped more than a couple of hundred over the years, your post still has a whole stack of watches I am yet to take the plunge on. Yet that in itself is strangely satisfying. I am in no rush to do anything other than enjoy the odd purchase for as long as possible before, outside of my control, the urge to pursue something new, that has caught my eye, takes hold... variety in price point does not impact my enjoyment at all.

An enjoyable read

Cheers
    Gray

Fascinating and beautifully written. Thank you. One question: if the Milsub became too much (and I can certainly understand, albeit only in the abstract), did you consider a 5513? That was my trajectory; after lusting after a 5517 and realizing I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that much even if I could, I bought a 5513.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    Fascinating and beautifully written. Thank you. One question: if the Milsub became too much (and I can certainly understand, albeit only in the abstract), did you consider a 5513? That was my trajectory; after lusting after a 5517 and realizing I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that much even if I could, I bought a 5513.

Dave
    Precisely what I was thinking, albeit it was a Great White that I let go. Consequently I wear my 5513 more than any other watch and barely spare a thought to how I felt whilst looking at the 1665 in my watch box!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th September 2013 at 17:37.

Blog Entries
    Cracking read and some lovely pieces.

paul

Great post. It's a never-ending quest, isn't it...

The only way to stop changing watches is to lose interest in them a little. IMHO, of course.