closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommendations for a waterproof jacket

Recommendations for a waterproof jacket

My elderly Barbour is leaking on the seams after its second rewaxing and I'm tired of getting wet; I've been having a look in the interweb for ideas for a replacement, but I'd welcome insights from the collective.

Use is daily dog walking, in proper Devon countryside, prefer non garish colours, and some sense of style rather than some of the more obvious walking coat designs. Looked at Nigel Cabourne but I don't want to sell a kidney.

£300ish, and well made.

Heritage double layer ventile from Snowsled. You won't get a better made jacket for the price . Not exactly Dries van Noten in terms of cut but world class performance - and Cabourn takes his cue from design classics like these anyway .
    Last edited by seikopath; 1st October 2013 at 15:54.

Hadn't heard of Snowsled before - looks like the right stuff! Thanks for that.

...or you could send back to Barbour for a refurbishment

Blog Entries
    Bought a Bergheus Mera Peak 12 months ago, best jacket I've ever had for walking the dog,keeps me toasty in the worst conditions

http://www.53degreesnorth.co.uk/berg...FYyWtAod1T8AFA

No idea who Nigel Cabourn is so can't really comment whether it's stylish or not

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    This is still a real option; although I've spent quite a few hours with hot wax trying for a really good finish, but I still get leaks.

I bought a Norse Projects jacket last year and it kept me warm/dry. IIRC it cost me around £300.

If you were after a more 'outdoorsey' jacket, the likes of Rab Bergen, ME Kongur, Arcteryx Theta, Keela Munro, Rohan etc. would do the job. Most are available in darker colours too. Another option would be something made using Nikwax material e.g. Paramo or Cioch. I have a Cioch Glamaig for winter hill walking and it's never failed me. I also have Paramo trousers and again they have kept me dry.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/glamaig.html

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/search/index.php

Craftsman
    Galvin Green. Normally sold in golf shops and has a lifetime warranty including waterproof ness. Some very garish colours, but also some plainer colours and styles.....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Bought a Bergheus Mera Peak 12 months ago, best jacket I've ever had for walking the dog,keeps me toasty in the worst conditions

http://www.53degreesnorth.co.uk/berg...FYyWtAod1T8AFA

No idea who Nigel Cabourn is so can't really comment whether it's stylish or not
    I have this same jacket and have to agree it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Assuming you still like the coat, this is what I would do, they can work miracles, the coat will come back waterproof no question.

Digger

Another option to look at would be fjallraven. Plenty of styles to choose from although the more versatile jackets with the G-1000 material do need waxed, something which given your past experience is a path you might not wish to go down again.

Craftsman
    What size are you?

I have a Nigel cabourne cameraman that I would consider letting go.

Original one from a few years ago in tan Mac and Harris tweed. Mint condition, worn about 3 times due to cost and me getting fat.

More of a dress jacket than a water proof though

I'll admit to large!

If you want to stay dry then anything Gore-Tex.

How about this place :

http://otters-reproofingservices.co.uk/

Happy customer here :

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/foru...g-and-repairs/

I've got an elderly Barbour which I don't feel inclined to spend too much on so may give them a go.

Had a look at Barbour reproofing, and it's £30 plus postage, which is pretty good - may have one last go at it myself before sending it in..

More Ventile gear here: www.countryinnovation.com/clothing

I'll stick with Páramo (someone else has already mentioned them), but another couple of places to look are:

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Had a look at Barbour reproofing, and it's £30 plus postage, which is pretty good - may have one last go at it myself before sending it in..
    My initial response would have been to get it re-proofed but after seeing those ventile offerings from Snowsled I'm not so sure (I already have a ventile coat!).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    My initial response would have been to get it re-proofed but after seeing those ventile offerings from Snowsled I'm not so sure (I already have a ventile coat!).
    So, does Ventile live up to its press?

It depends what you want it for . A double layer will keep you warm and dry but in extended rain the outer will 'wet out' and take a long time to dry . Popular with bird watchers because its rustle free . If you just want waterproofness then a modern shell such as goretex or event are just as good at keeping out the wet . Ventile has greater breath ability though . Paramo also very good - as I said , depends what you want it for .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I've a few waterproofs for cycling/running.

I've a barbour too for dogwalking duties and it's seen me through the last ten winters. But last winter things we're feeling BALTIC, so I bought some Harkila thing.

Pro Hunter Jacket I think.

It's warm and waterproof, very, definitely - it is quite bulky. But you might end up looking like somekind of Ray Mears/murderer/"let's off road" type.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I've a few waterproofs for cycling/running.

It's warm and waterproof, very, definitely - it is quite bulky. But you might end up looking like somekind of Ray Mears/murderer/"let's off road" type.

:)
    I tend to look like that anyway...

Craftsman
    I'll admit to large!
    Its a 52 but comes up small

22.5 p2p
    21.5 p2c

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    "p2c"
    What does "p2c" mean, please? I'm guessing it's "something to collar", but can't find anywhere that tells me what it stands for. It's probably something obvious...

I like the idea of Ventile but the styling of the jackets...
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 3rd October 2013 at 12:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    I like the idea of Ventile but the styling of the jackets...
    Because I am young (...) and trendy (...) and working in digital/meedja I have one of these as my 'daily' for work:

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/clothin...-charcoal.html

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    What does "p2c" mean, please? I'm guessing it's "something to collar", but can't find anywhere that tells me what it stands for. It's probably something obvious...
    Pit to cuff???

Master
    For dog walking in all weathers only paramo for me they've never let me down

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Pit to cuff???
    That's it! I'd even heard of it before, but old age is creeping up on me. Many thanks...

Sort of; you just need to understand that it works in a different way. It has the appearance of normal cotton gaberdine which means that it is silent and more breathable. Its' waterproof qualities occur because the weave is designed to trap water and expand, thus sealing the entire garment to any actual penetration of water. Obviously a lot of other waterproof garments focus more on "running-off" the water in the first place though, to achieve this, the finishes tend to be noisier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventile

The key thing with any waterproof jacket, when it gets to the crunch, is the way that the seams are done as that is where the ingress will come after time.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    For dog walking in all weathers only paramo for me they've never let me down
    Even birdwatchers like Páramo: link. No hood on that one, but I'm guessing that's the same as a Barbour. But, being made of Nikwax Cotton+ fabric, it's only showerproof and not waterproof like Páramo 'Analogy' garments. So, perhaps it won't suit the OP. Here's another review: link.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Because I am young (...) and trendy (...) and working in digital/meedja I have one of these as my 'daily' for work:

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/clothin...-charcoal.html
    That looks pretty cool!

My elderly Barbour is leaking on the seams after its second rewaxing and I'm tired of getting wet; I've been having a look in the interweb for ideas for a replacement, but I'd welcome insights from the collective.

Use is daily dog walking, in proper Devon countryside, prefer non garish colours, and some sense of style rather than some of the more obvious walking coat designs. Looked at Nigel Cabourne but I don't want to sell a kidney.

£300ish, and well made.
    Keela. Built for Scottish weather. Supplied to the Mountain Rescue teams. Excellent kit.
    Last edited by Hamish; 3rd October 2013 at 21:45.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That looks pretty cool!
    Howies is only single layer, if you want to stay dry you need a double layer jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Sort of; you just need to understand that it works in a different way. It has the appearance of normal cotton gaberdine which means that it is silent and more breathable. Its' waterproof qualities occur because the weave is designed to trap water and expand, thus sealing the entire garment to any actual penetration of water. Obviously a lot of other waterproof garments focus more on "running-off" the water in the first place though, to achieve this, the finishes tend to be noisier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventile

The key thing with any waterproof jacket, when it gets to the crunch, is the way that the seams are done as that is where the ingress will come after time.
    Its not just a question of construction : modern shell fabrics like event and goretex have a limited shelf-life, this is not even considering the proofing aspect. Ventile doesn't. Paramo's analogy system has imho even better efficacy for longer than Ventile with regular use - although this isn't to do with the structure of the latter fabric failing, its simply because its much easier to reproof.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Howies is only single layer, if you want to stay dry you need a double layer jacket.
    Nonsense. Try Arcteryx for single layer, lightweight perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Nonsense. Try Arcteryx for single layer, lightweight perfection.
    I'm talking about ventile grandad.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm talking about ventile grandad.
    Thanks for clarifying sonny.

Craftsman

Recommendations for a waterproof jacket

Paramo, in the traditional colours with analogy fabric is a good hi tech low key look alternative.heir new catalogue with trail this month had me looking at barbour style alternatives.

Somebody has a nice faltriven (sp) jacket on British blades for sale.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...c-Jacket-%A385
    Last edited by racer66; 3rd October 2013 at 23:28.

Its not just a question of construction : modern shell fabrics like event and goretex have a limited shelf-life, this is not even considering the proofing aspect. Ventile doesn't. Paramo's analogy system has imho even better efficacy for longer than Ventile with regular use - although this isn't to do with the structure of the latter fabric failing, its simply because its much easier to reproof.
    When new, gortex is great but with a bit of use it seems to get less effective.

I've got two gortex jackets that had started to wet out, needing a wash and reproofing. I did everything you're supposed to do and been left with one jacket with the seam tape completely off and the other no better than before. Waste of time and money on the soap and proofer.

I like the idea of Ventile, easier maintenace and longer useable life.
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 4th October 2013 at 01:54.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    How about this place :

http://otters-reproofingservices.co.uk/

Happy customer here :

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/foru...g-and-repairs/

I've got an elderly Barbour which I don't feel inclined to spend too much on so may give them a go.
    Thank you for the link. I have just had my Belstaff Trialmaster from 1977 returned to me, It had never been cleaned or reproofed the whole time my dad owned it.

Superb service from Otters

Ive had a Gore-Tex bike jacket for 15 years and its been though hell and back, loads of city riding and off roading. The zips a little tricky now, but after all those years, what can you expect. However, a 6 month tech wash and re-proof wash in, and its as good as ever it was when new.