closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panasonic ending plasma TV production

Panasonic ending plasma TV production

Panasonic will end plasma TV production at the close of this financial year ( so, end March 2014 ) and close their one remaining factory in Japan. Their TV business lost more than US$900 million in the previous year. Plasma TV sales made only 6% of global shipments, so they can't economically continue.

Bit of a shame as it was arguably the better technology, but not the cheapest technology.

Paul

shame, I wonder how long mine will last, it's nearly a year old

To put it in perspective, I had a meeting with one of the LED manufacturers last week (Seoul) they are producing four billion LED'S per month, the largest users are TV and Automotive. Then you have Philips, Cree, Osram, Dominant etc all making these sort of numbers, Plasma didn't stand a chance.
    Last edited by adrianw; 9th October 2013 at 09:53.

Master
    +1
    I love my Panny Plasma - bit more than a year old...
    I always seem to pick the better but less popular technology...

Master
    Interesting. I've mostly lost interest tvs, but I was always under the impression that plasma have a strong following. Might just be amongst the gadget geeks on the internet :)

But you also see with 3D and now already heavily discounted 4k, that tvs aren't like smart phones. There aren't too many people who upgrade their tv ever 2-3 years.

I've got a Plasma Panasonic and it's the best picture I've seen bar none.

Hopefully it's got a fair bit of life left in it as everything else seems second best.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    shame, I wonder how long mine will last, it's nearly a year old

To put it in perspective, I had a meeting with one of the LED manufacturers last week (Seoul) they are producing four billion LED'S per month, the largest users are TV and Automotive. Then you have Philips, Cree, Osram, Dominant etc all making these sort of numbers, Plasma didn't stand a chance.
    Mine is 8 years old now and still going strong...

Blog Entries
    Philips sold its complete TV production capacity to TPV in Hong Kong last January. Here's a detail from the Techradar website:

Sign of the times

Last year Philips sidelined its TV division by partnering up with TPV - or, rather, handing over 70 per cent of it to the Hong Kong based monitor maker.
    Today's deal is completely separate to the TPV partnership, and Philips remains a major shareholder in the TV business.
    The focus for Philips now will be on the very lucrative healthcare tech sector, as well as consumer products like electric razors, toothbrushes, toasters, juicers and coffee makers, so you should expect to hear significantly less about it on these here pages.
    The AV business was offloaded to Japan's Funai Electric co for 150 million Euros (about $202 million, £128 million).
    "This completes the repositioning away from consumer electronics," van Houten concluded.
    So yes, it's a trend. But I suppose that Panasonic (like Philips) will keep the R&D.

Additional to the article: Philips, well known for consumer electronics and light bulbs etc is turning more and more to medical devices. About 50% of their annual sales comes for their medical division alone. Lighting and consumer electronics together are their other two divsions.

Menno

I am also the proud owner of a Panasonic plasma tv, and as others have said, you will struggle to find a better picture. Cricket, motor racing and golf are spectacular in HD on a decent plasma.

Hopefully it will soldier on for a while yet.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Blog Entries
    + however many on Panny Plasma's. I have a 42 and a 46 and they are great.

Thanks for the heads up

paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've got a Plasma Panasonic and it's the best picture I've seen bar none.

Hopefully it's got a fair bit of life left in it as everything else seems second best.

M.
    I agree, my last 3 TV`s have been panasonic plasmas and nearly everyone else I know also opt`d for a panasonic plasma over the other main makers due to the highly regarded picture quality. Its a sad loss. :(

Craftsman
    They always seemed to get the price/pic quality balance just right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    ........................Bit of a shame as it was arguably the better technology, but not the cheapest technology.

Paul
    Mine keeps the room nice and warm too!

jeff

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    They always seemed to get the price/pic quality balance just right for me.
    Another thing I liked was that for most screens they did about 3 different versions. One for those on a budget, one for those with a bit more money who wanted more engineering features, then a top level one. Like for mine they did the ST version, the GT version then the flagship VT version. The price going up by a few hundred quid each time. So, if you wanted all the bells & whistles you could opt for it, or if you wanted middle of the road you could also go with that.

I ended up with the ST version as it was ideal for my application.

Shame, the end of plasma.

My boss bought one of the last Pioneers, 50" I think. Cost fortune but was the bee's knees!

Master
    Just given away my 42" Kuro for a 55vt Panny, not 100% sold on the Panny yet but its still running in, shame that Panny are getting out of the market, I wonder how long before Samsung and LG follow?

My 42" Panny Plasma has just turned 6 and is still awesome. Really hope it keeps going but suspect I may be forced into a repalcement soon. The remote hasn't stood up well to the abuse my three toddlers have subjected it to over the last couple of years and now it doesn't work at all.

Can perform the basic TV control functions through the sky remote, but I now can't press 'OK' when the huge screen blocking grey box comes up every other day to tell me that the freeview listings need to be updated. Doesn't really matter, but its a bit of a fudge to even remove the box without the remote. I either have to turn the TV off and on again, or select a freeview channel with teletext and open that with the text button on the sky remote and then exit out again - slightly annoying but not enough to push me into spending hundreds on a replacement tv...

Master
    My Panasonic plasma is 3 years old now, and I still haven't seen anything to rival the picture. Friends and family all have LCD or LED, but plasma is just so much smoother. Shame they're discontinuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogmanfan View Post
    My Panasonic plasma is 3 years old now, and I still haven't seen anything to rival the picture. Friends and family all have LCD or LED, but plasma is just so much smoother. Shame they're discontinuing them.
    As many other nice things that gone with the wind for the sake of profit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    My 42" Panny Plasma has just turned 6 and is still awesome. Really hope it keeps going but suspect I may be forced into a repalcement soon. The remote hasn't stood up well to the abuse my three toddlers have subjected it to over the last couple of years and now it doesn't work at all.

Can perform the basic TV control functions through the sky remote, but I now can't press 'OK' when the huge screen blocking grey box comes up every other day to tell me that the freeview listings need to be updated. Doesn't really matter, but its a bit of a fudge to even remove the box without the remote. I either have to turn the TV off and on again, or select a freeview channel with teletext and open that with the text button on the sky remote and then exit out again - slightly annoying but not enough to push me into spending hundreds on a replacement tv...
    One advantage with the newer Panasonic Plasma models is that you can plug em into the internet then you can just download an app for your phone to control them!

Im not sure if it all signals the end of plasma or not, from my perspective and a lot of others, the LED & LCD tv`s cant hold a candle to plasma picture wise, but i guess the vast majority of people who walk into comet for a tv fall for the "oh wow look how vivid the picture is and how small the surround is" and walk out with an LED or LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitstew View Post
    One advantage with the newer Panasonic Plasma models is that you can plug em into the internet then you can just download an app for your phone to control them!

Im not sure if it all signals the end of plasma or not, from my perspective and a lot of others, the LED & LCD tv`s cant hold a candle to plasma picture wise, but i guess the vast majority of people who walk into comet for a tv fall for the "oh wow look how vivid the picture is and how small the surround is" and walk out with an LED or LCD.
    Sorry but the latest generation of LED TV's are just as good, the next ones are better, it has taken a long time but LED technology is moving on at a phonomenal rate, the light output V power consumption is literally changing on a daily basis.

Master
    Sorry but the latest generation of LED TV's are just as good, the next ones are better, it has taken a long time but LED technology is moving on at a phonomenal rate, the light output V power consumption is literally changing on a daily basis.
    I've yet to see an LED that matches the best plasma in terms of motion, black level or the overall 'natural' look of the image. Yes, they're improving at a pace but they're not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I've yet to see an LED that matches the best plasma in terms of motion, black level or the overall 'natural' look of the image. Yes, they're improving at a pace but they're not there yet.
    I would totally agree, but the average punter won't see the difference. My wife can't even tell when we're on an HD channel or not! You can't fault folk for going with the new vast LEDs with tiny bezels, smart features and a picture that is good enough for the low, low prices that they are punting them out at.

TV picture is such a personal taste thing. I much, much prefer my workmanlike Tosh to the shiny new all-singing 3D flat panel Sony that the in-laws just dropped a grand+ on.

got one of the last pioneers krp 500 and have a panny gt 50 inch in my other place

really good screens , the pioneer is still a kick ass tv even 3 yrs on and the yr old panny is good but not as good the pioneer for blacks

shame they are stopping them , but with the new 4ks coming out and the cheaper leds it was always gonna happen im afraid

Right, that does it. I'm picking up another one while they're still available. That'll keep the overbright LED cr@p away for another ten years, at least.

Master
    This situation has been known for a good while now – Panasonic mentioned it at least 6 months ago as what was going to be happening.
    Part of the problem has been shipping weight, since Plasmas weigh more than the similar sized LCDs.
    For most typical buyers, ultimate PQ is further down their priorities than the aesthetics of the TV itself.

When you trace back the history of Plasma TVs, you'll find Fujitsu were top of the tree, but selling relatively few (due to price), so they bowed out of the market.
    Their tech and engineers were picked up by Pioneer, who went on to create the Kuro technology in theirs, but by trying to manipulate the market in an Appleesque fashion, ultimately paid the price by not selling as many as Panasonic (and Samsung/LG). They too then called it quits, whereby Panasonic acquired their engineers and the Kuro technology.
    But it's not the end – not by a long shot – as Panasonic are in partnership with Sony on OLED production, which is the best of Plasma mated to the thinness of LED-backlit LCDs.
    It'll be a few years yet before it's ready for prime time, and hopefully prices will be reasonable from the outset rather than the usual early adopter premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I take it that you haven't seen a 4K TV yet then

Master
    have a look at one of these next time you are in john Lewis
    http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals...054/c800005013

I have a Panasonic plasma but these beat it (at a price though)

Master
    I take it that you haven't seen a 4K TV yet then
    No I haven't, but that's hardly relevant in a discussion about the merits of plasma vs LED.
    4k is a different kettle of fish altogether. I've no doubt it's superior to both non 4k LED and Plasma, or at least will be when 4k content is available.

I have 3 Pioneer plasma's two 50"s and one 60" fantastic TV

Craftsman
    I have a 5yr old 42" Panasonic Plasma and I love it! I'm hoping it keeps going for years. I have a 3 yo 28" Panasonic LCD upstairs and it's not a patch on the plasma.

My 42 panny is 12 years and still blows the socks off my new LED Sony and LCD Samsung.

This has now got me thinking!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    http://www.whathifi.com/news/updated...-of-plasma-tvs – production will cease in March, but those units will be in the sales channels for a while after, so there's no need start fretting just yet.

Craftsman
    Switched 4 years ago to a Sony LCD from a Phillips CRT. Never got on with the Picture quality of the Sony.
    Changed to a 42 Panasonic plasma and am very pleased with the picture quality.

"I had a meeting with one of the LED manufacturers last week (Seoul) they are producing four billion LED'S per month,"

There are only 7 billion people in the world, How can that figure be correct? or am I misconstruing what you mean by LED'S.

Each TV needs many LEDs.

Ahh individual LED'S got it thanks. Makes a bit more sense LOL.

I don't think the difference between plasma and a decent LCD screen is as great as it used to be. I'm very impressed with the current crop of LCD/LED's, especially when you get them set up correctly (which normally involves turning most of the electronic guff off).

I accept that black levels are still better on plasma's, but motion is now very good IMO. Motion perception is very subjective, and I accept that the older generation of LCD's weren't very good, but the newer ones are far better.

My first 42" Panny plasma was 12 years old when I sold it on ebay. It was still going strong and that was one of the really early versions, so I am confident that more modern Panny's will last some time yet. I bought a Panny 50" VT to replace it based on recommendations from TZ earlier this year and it is stunning! Shame they aren't going to be making any more.