closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos Watches

Nomos Watches

Hi Guys what's everyone's opinion on Nomos watches as they seem quite nice but I am not really well informed about the brand any info much appreciated as looking to maybe buy one

Rich

Well regarded on here and sometimes found on SC where I bought mine. They are one of the few small (only?) watchmakers who manufacture their own movements from scratch rather than buy in and adapt.

I love the club range, especially the white dial with orange hands! Very good value for an in house movement and I get the impression you will receive a good personal level of service from this smaller manufacturer.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 24th November 2013 at 00:15.

Thanks for that how much do they usually go for ?

Attachment 5115

1760 Euros

They are nice looking watches very clean looking

One of my favorite watches. Very classy.

Journeyman
    I think they look great - a mix of classic and modern with a real Bauhaus simplicity. Great value as well considering the in house movement

Quote Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
    I think they look great - a mix of classic and modern with a real Bauhaus simplicity. Great value as well considering the in house movement
    Good summary. Beautiful watches and very good value IMO.

Thank you all for the replies I am definitely buying one (;

Journeyman
    I don't know much about the brand but I really like their Club dunkel.

Craftsman
    Year, you do that, you wont regret it

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by pbj204 View Post

Gorgeous watch. Excellent brand. Im new here - spent many years on WUS. Im just gearing up to buy the Orion Datum Weiss - just has beautifully classy and understated lines and as other posters have said, Nomos offer great in house movements and what is still a very reasonable price got the level of finishing. Watch out though - now they've gone high street, the prices are just going to soar. Shame they have abandoned their independents, who helped build their reputation in the first place. I for one, am going to snap one up now, while they still offer amazing value over the likes of Lange and JLC etc

Great photograph!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whifferdill View Post
    Gorgeous watch. Excellent brand. Im new here - spent many years on WUS. Im just gearing up to buy the Orion Datum Weiss - just has beautifully classy and understated lines and as other posters have said, Nomos offer great in house movements and what is still a very reasonable price got the level of finishing. Watch out though - now they've gone high street, the prices are just going to soar. Shame they have abandoned their independents, who helped build their reputation in the first place. I for one, am going to snap one up now, while they still offer amazing value over the likes of Lange and JLC etc

Great photograph!
    Well, Ian - I guess that ensures that there's still a nice watch for you to put on leather for dress. Even if dress means, not wearing a flight suit.

I suppose I should seek to attain the same stylish elegance. But a Speedy is about as close to elegant as I can currently get. And that Nomos is so Don Draper. Whereas the Speedy isn't!

Nomos Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Richierm257 View Post
    Thank you all for the replies I am definitely buying one (;
    I wear my Tangente every week for work as it looks great with a shirt and it's so minimal it's beyond judgement; status symbols are seen as distinctly uncool where I work if not untrustworthy / reckless.

Whilst it fits me perfectly, it is very small compared to most of the watches on this forum, people with 44mm lifestyle watches will probably have an issue with it - Nomos do make watches in various sizes and I'd recommend you find an AD to try a few on for size before you buy.

Updated with a pic:
    [/URL]
    Last edited by AKM; 24th November 2013 at 13:04.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Well, Ian - I guess that ensures that there's still a nice watch for you to put on leather for dress. Even if dress means, not wearing a flight suit.

I suppose I should seek to attain the same stylish elegance. But a Speedy is about as close to elegant as I can currently get. And that Nomos is so Don Draper. Whereas the Speedy isn't!
    Ha! Don Draper - he's quite cool - not that I have any desire to go into marketing, but I do love that 50s vibe - at least, I do in the watches. And yeah - the Speedy is a watch that can work in any situation. Nothing does sporty dressy as well as a Speedy on a nice black leather strap. It's not so much dress, I'm looking for, it's more that simplicity and that mix of modern Bauhaus and retro that other posters have mentioned - I'd wear it as a daily wearer, I think, leaving my Speedy free for 'weekends'

The Orion 38 is a great piece for either dress watch or work wear.
    Love the blue hands

I tried on an Orion 38 a couple of weeks ago, can't remember which jewellers it was but there's one in Bluewater in Kent that now stocks them.

Took a mobile pic, lovely looking thing and superb for the money.

You can't really go wrong with NOMOS. I'd say they're very highly regarded on here, mainly because the offer extremely good value for money.

Here's mine:

And beginning to introduce some more unusual/complicated watches too

Albeit more pricey, of course. People who picked up one of their watches for £700 a few short years ago got a great deal

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pbj204 View Post

Tried this on yesterday and the new grey version. Stunning. And seemingly great value. Loved the shell cordovan strap too, first time I've come across this leather off-forum. On the short list for a classy, timeless 40th gift to myself in Spring :-)

Ant

Master
    great value for a non generic movement. jeweller that i use has taken these on to fill the price range left by Omega and Breitling jacking up their base models.

remind me a bit of my Portuguese, which can't be a bad thing for the price.

Craftsman
    The AD in Bluewater is Fraser Hart I believe. I was in there on Friday and tried on a black faced Ludwig. I love Nomos - I think they're absolutely beautiful and great value for an in-house movement, but none of the ones I've tried on have 'sung' on my wrist the way some of my other watches have. I still like to think I might have one one day, but I haven't found it yet... The black faced Ludwig failed because of the hands - unless the light was just right they disappeared against the face. That would have driven me mental. I've also tried on a silver faced Ludwig, but the silver face didn't work for me either. I think I need a white face, and blue hands...

I used to own an Orion Datum which was absolutely gorgeous but the long lugs caused a gap I really didn't appreciate.

Are Nomos movements easily serviced by an independent (parts availability etc) or is it a case of sending back to them?

Master
    Fraser Hart (I think) in the shopping centre next to St Pauls has a big selection of Nomos. I was just passing but next time I'll definitely be in there next time to have a closer look. I love the clean and uncluttered designs of them.

Don't be deceived, their designs are more sophisticated than would first appear. The Club is perhaps the most accessible. All in my opinion of course.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 25th November 2013 at 09:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu View Post
    Albeit more pricey, of course. People who picked up one of their watches for £700 a few short years ago got a great deal
    Yep.

Craftsman
    The new Nomos gold models can be seen in Wempe in New Bond Street.

I am attracted to the Orion model but the way their prices have gone I am hesitating. For the money of a new Nomos you can have a pre-owned Zenith.

Master
    I have had a hankering for a Club for sometime.

Surprisingly perhaps, I have never seen any Nomos in real life.

scooter

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    great value for a non generic movement. jeweller that i use has taken these on to fill the price range left by Omega and Breitling jacking up their base models.

remind me a bit of my Portuguese, which can't be a bad thing for the price.
    Are you saying there's now a dealer in Berkshire selling Nomos? If so, I'm interested! Where's that please?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    The AD in Bluewater is Fraser Hart I believe. I was in there on Friday and tried on a black faced Ludwig. I love Nomos - I think they're absolutely beautiful and great value for an in-house movement, but none of the ones I've tried on have 'sung' on my wrist the way some of my other watches have. I still like to think I might have one one day, but I haven't found it yet... The black faced Ludwig failed because of the hands - unless the light was just right they disappeared against the face. That would have driven me mental. I've also tried on a silver faced Ludwig, but the silver face didn't work for me either. I think I need a white face, and blue hands...
    Yep - you really should get the blue hands, they catch the light in a way difficult to photograph, but very pleasing to the eye. Love my Ludwig - and certainly wouldn't have one without the blue hands, which IMHO is part of the point..

Strap wise it's more adaptable than you'd think - it goes very well with our host's canvas straps as well as the default
    cordovan (one word of advice on the straps - they wear long - if you've got a thin wrist you'll need a short strap).

Master
    Returning to this post... Does anyone know where a "deal" can be had? PM if easier ;-)

Ant

I have a Tangente datum, which is currently being serviced by Nomos. It's a really beautiful watch and all the good things have been already mentioned in this thread so I won't repeat. The customer services is second to none, friendly and accommodating, communicative and helpful.

I bought mine without box or papers for £625 and I wear it (not now obviously) very often, I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I have a Tangente datum
    [...]
    I bought mine without box or papers for £625 and I wear it (not now obviously) very often, I couldn't recommend them highly enough.
    And now about £1400 for the 38mm. Talk about inflation.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    And now about £1400 for the 38mm. Talk about inflation.
    I bought a Tangente Sport with box and papers, new, for £630, no discount, in 2007. It then went wrong. So I don't feel much of the steamy love for Nomos, but it has jacked its prices up into a sweet spot, beyond the conventions of the Longines traditional range sub-£1,000, but much cheaper than the JLCs and Cellinis at £5,000-plus.

If I wanted a watch in this style, I'd look at a Stowa Antea, at around half the price. Schauer's put his prices up too, to be fair.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Returning to this post... Does anyone know where a "deal" can be had? PM if easier ;-)

Ant
    watch eBay - they crop up on the continent for less than you'd think. My ludwig came from Florence - and I paid roughly a third of list for a less than two year old
    watch in mint condition.. albeit without b+p, but with Nomos service paperwork.

Do exercise care - if you care about the in house handwound movement, you need post 2005 (IIRC)..

Craftsman
    I think they are one of the most smart dress watch for the suit wearer -though id buy a diver at that price and wear it with a suit lol