Thread: Rolex Model - 'The Pro-Hunter'

Rolex Model - 'The Pro-Hunter'

http://www.bjsonline.com/watches/news/

I like this.

Comments ?

Martin.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it's been mentioned on this Forum before? Certainly on the NewTURF forum.

General opinion is - a bit crap.

My opinion - utter crap. I don't like their policy of "email for pricing", I wouldn't be surprised if you pay more than the RRP of the Rolex-fresh model - note you don't get the bracelet, just a canvas strap [probably sub-Eddie standard]. If you're THAT worried aobut glare form a watch, then rather than have AR coating and PVD case - don't wear a watch!!

Might find a market from people into survival stuff from the 1980s, but will they find 100 of them?

Master
    so, are they just "chicks" watches then...? :shock:

Judging from the pictures, exactly what kind of "wildlife" is it you're expected to hunt with one of these... :twisted:

Craftsman

Pro Hunter

I can't even find any info on the rolex website about it. Can it be that new?

certainly seems a bit cheap for rolex to sell their high end watch on a nato strap.

Master
    Of course you could get two dozen PRS-4s in black PVD for the price of one of these - if it weren't for the fact that there actually exist fewer black-faced PRS-4s on the planet than these customized Rolexes. Exclusive and black? Ha. :twisted:

Master
    I can't even find any info on the rolex website about it.
    It's an aftermarket modification. Not a new idea, there were similar Submariner ones on another UK watch site ages ago.

Naff.

Craftsman
    do they realize they put a picture of two women in a site that says BJs online ? Or am i the only one who automaticallly relate those two letters to a certain practice?
    not that i have anything to complain per se, but i think it's hard to do that online....

Coming to the watch, it is a heavy modification with a redial as well...borderline to a fake, IMHO.And you'll never get back the money you spend on that.
    If it was made from, say, a MarcelloC and Yao parts it would have been terribly cool, but not with a rolex.

Absolute bollocks. Anybody on this forum who buys one will instantly be banned for having too much money and appalling taste .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Absolute bollocks. Anybody on this forum who buys one will instantly be banned for having too much money and appalling taste .

Eddie
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew there would have to be something that would get someone banned from here :wink:

A great idea for a new thread though :twisted:

Eddie
    -Hydrophobic Coating makes the surface anti-static and easy to clean.
    Hydrophobic my ass. :banghead:

I see they haven't PVD'd the bracelet. Costaplentyphobic no doubt.

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD

Eddie
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew there would have to be something that would get someone banned from here :wink:

A great idea for a new thread though :twisted:
    Don't push it. There are worse things to banning. :pirate:

john
    Every watch a story.

Craftsman

Deer hunter

Wasn't thete something with a Rolex gmt and the movie Deerhunter????

Well BJS found a market and went for it I guess... Of course whilst we might consider £100 Seikos as modding fodder perhaps people with a pile in the country consider sports Rolex models at £2.5-£3k to be ripe for mods and if they would add diamonds for Monte Carlo then why would they not debling one for hunting... of course they do neither job themselves... they have a man who 'does'....

I also wonder if BJS werent just cashing in on the 'red' prices and I do wonder if they got the last of the old style GMT2s cheap off Rolex since the new model is now out. Everyones a winner etc.

Craftsman
    Ok. So if they are marketing this watch towards young/fit/active people.. and hunters who normally have good eyesight?. Why oh why is there still a stupid Cyclops fitted? :x

Cyclops NEVER EVER look good on any watch and are merely a concession to people who are going blind. :roll:

Sevicing might be a problem......

If you took one of those into Roex for a service, I wonder what kind of response you'd get

No doubt they'd strip off the PVD, change the dial, crystal and caseback, and return it to 'original' spec! - then charge you for the privilege.

IMHO they'd be doing you a huge favour :)

Jack @ IWW and I were going to do this to my Submariner (minus the cyclops) about 5 years back. We both came to our senses, and decided no to.

I know Jack has done one, and that was before mine was thought of.

john

Why the hell would anyone buy one of these? They are AWFUL.

Doesn't James Dowling have a PVD'ed Rolex sub (5513?)

Craftsman
    I'm not into Rolex, and generally I don't like black watches much. But apart from that, I have a hard time seeing why this particular black watch is so much worse than other black watches.

Over and out - now running for shelter. 8)

Emailed for a price.

They are £5,500 :shock:

Martin.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    I'm not into Rolex, and generally I don't like black watches much. But apart from that, I have a hard time seeing why this particular black watch is so much worse than other black watches.

Well, the £5,500 is an obvious reason [although you didn't know at the time]

So, about £2500 premium over a normal Sub-Date for a PVD coating and re-dial - basically the price of an Explorer or Sub. That's the reason this watch is utter sh!te.

Does the £5500 include a PVD strap or - as I suspect - do you get the NATO full stop??

Let me get this straight.......

OK, you can get a brand new GMT for £2,790, (and for the last few months nearly every Rolex AD has a couple in stock, so they're not hard to get), nice classic Rolex, job done.

OR you can pay an extra £2,210, for which you'll get a layer of black paint :lol: , a line of meaningless scribble on the dial :lol: , and an AR coating for the crystal :lol:

And, as an added bonus, they'll bin a nice Oyster bracelet and give you a £10 nylon strap instead :shock: :lol: :lol:

It would go very well with my BMW M3/Golf 'twat-hunter'

It's a BMW M3 with every part removed by hand, and replaced (again by hand) with the engine, chassis and body of a VW Golf 1.6 FSI. It's black, but I've tipp-exed 'M3 Twat-hunter' on the boot lid. To you, it's just £60,000 8)

ps I've taken the wheels off, and balanced 4 dustbin-lids where the wheels should be 8) :wink:

Any takers???

Anyone seen the Harry Enfield 'I saw you coming' sketch? :lol: :lol:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones

But isn't the price an issue with all Rolexes? :D

dreadful! for the 5500 asking price.. couldnt they get real models? talk about saving on marketing!

absolute bollocks!

Daytona in Black
    http://www.qpmagazine.com/news/default. ... e#openHere

The whole thing smells like upmarket Seikos ... :evil4:

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR

Cyclops NEVER EVER look good on any watch and are merely a concession to people who are going blind. :roll:
    I think you would find that the date on the average women's size watch is impossible to see from a reasonable distance without a cyclops. My wife has an Orient on which the date is completely useless and a Datejust on which it is eminently practical.

So so long a you exclude over half the worlds population before you start you might have a point :wink:

Personally I think the cyclops fits well with the GMT. The watch was designed from the start to have one and its an important part of the information the dial is designed to give.

One the Sub i'd tend to agree with you. Why anyone need to know the date during a 3O minute dive is beyond me.

Master
    Blog Entries

An Impreza tweaked by Prodrive is worth more than a standard Impreza, so paying extra is fair enough.

A BMW or VW converted into a Twat Hunter by a random bloke - see RobDad above - is worth bugger-all premium - in fact, I'd want a discount.

I know which side of the fence I think the Pro-Hunter falls on, how about you :D

There was a thread AGES ago on people modding watches and selling them on, generally they don't get the money back they spent unless a buyer wants exactly what the modder did. I think the same applies here - in spades.

Craftsman

An Impreza tweaked by Prodrive is worth more than a standard Impreza, so paying extra is fair enough.

A BMW or VW converted into a Twat Hunter by a random bloke - see RobDad above - is worth bugger-all premium - in fact, I'd want a discount.

I know which side of the fence I think the Pro-Hunter falls on, how about you :D

There was a thread AGES ago on people modding watches and selling them on, generally they don't get the money back they spent unless a buyer wants exactly what the modder did. I think the same applies here - in spades.
    We are discussing two things here: The price and the looks of the watch. They are not necessarily linked together.

Concerning price: I didn't know the price at the time of my first post, but I agree, for my taste this one is overpriced - even more than "normal" Rolexes. But someone must obviously disagree with us and think it falls on the right side of the fence, or Rolex wouldn't have produced it.

Concerning the looks: IMHO it's not too different from other black watches (which I generally don't care much for). We have seen far worse from Rolex - and others for that matter - lately.

But someone must obviously disagree with us and think it falls on the right side of the fence, or Rolex wouldn't have produced it
    Rolex didn't produce it. It's an aftermarket customisation.

Cheers

Foggy

Blog Entries
    Lot of steam on this

IMO bottom line if you like it and can afford it ( and i presume its produced for those "hunters" that go and shoot some poor four legged whatever in farm conditions )then you pony up the dosh.

If you like me do not like it,think its an overpriced gimmick,well you just laugh and move on.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

This is a watch that the Porsche Cayenne owners will jump all over!

Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    This is a watch that the Porsche Cayenne owners will jump all over!
    :D :D That was a good one.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master
    Thing is...I like them !!!
    But if I could buy any Rolex, I'd just send it to Bry and get it PVD'd for less than a tenth of the overcharge of those guys.

As soon as I acquire the parts needed to get my submariner done, I will have it PVD to medical standards. However, it will not be black, as I am still debating the best color. In addition, I am going to have it heat-treated as well.

http://www.richterprecision.com/medikote_coatings.htm

I am a Rolex fan and... :sleepy2:

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    One the Sub i'd tend to agree with you. Why anyone need to know the date during a 3O minute dive is beyond me.
    Reality check here; how many Subs are ever taken diving? :D

Mine actually does; I log approx. 450 hours dive time a year, which is a hell of a lot compared to recreational divers. Yet there's 8760 hours in a year, so even my Sub is above the surface for 95% of the time - and that's when the date display is used.

And I am of an age now where the cyclops is useful..... :roll:
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    And I am of an age now where the cyclops is useful..... :roll:
    Well, guess the cyclops are useful even in the 20s, but for a different reason. Identifies the watch from a distance of 50ft and more :D :D

That was on of the reasons I went for a SD back then...
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    But someone must obviously disagree with us and think it falls on the right side of the fence, or Rolex wouldn't have produced it
    Rolex didn't produce it. It's an aftermarket customisation.

Cheers

Foggy
    OK, but someone must still want it.

(But I'm perseverating, so this must be the last post from me on this subject.)