closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: World Watch Report - interesting reading...

Master

World Watch Report - interesting reading...

I saw this elsewhere and thought it might be of interest here...

http://www.slideshare.net/Digital-Lu...orld-media-kit

Very interesting.
    Omega seem to be doing rather well at the moment.

Fascinating. Confirms that they should focus on Asia rather than the declining EU/US markets. And some surprises there too - Omega and Longines massive in China? Surprised to see Bremont lumped in with Raymond Weil etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Very interesting.
    Omega seem to be doing rather well at the moment.
    Indeed. Their change in strategy from a few years ago has clearly worked out for them!

Craftsman
    Omega might be level with Rolex as of now if the trends continued which shows there strategy is working while Rolex seems to be on the wane .

If Rolex tried to make bigger sizes of the models in there range the situation would be diffrent i feel .

If trends continue the Rolex sub may be thought of as unisex model ,i bought my wife a Michael Korrs watch for Christmas which was 38mm.So
    women's watches are getting a lot bigger as well.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Fascinating. Confirms that they should focus on Asia rather than the declining EU/US markets. And some surprises there too - Omega and Longines massive in China? Surprised to see Bremont lumped in with Raymond Weil etc.
    Omega's fascination with China is widely known. They put 8 in all their advertising, have paid ambassadeurs who are big in China but not so much elsewhere, their advertising is saturated, and through paid film and TV exposure have increased brand presence enormously. Doing all the things that Rolex do, of course, but seemingly without the brickbats :).

Longines is also very big in China, having lost its way in the rest of the world it seems to be going after a market which doesn't have any of that Longines-was-great-once baggage.

However, this report is almost a year old, and a lot has happened in the past year (ref post about China corruption crackdown affecting Cartier sales). China is still growing, but 7.7% last year looks sluggish compared to the double digits of the last 20 years and 2014 is expected to slow further.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    If Rolex tried to make bigger sizes of the models in there range the situation would be diffrent i feel .
    They have, and everyone bitched and moaned about it. Not that Rolex cares ;). But the DJII, Big Explorer, Deep Sea and Explorer II have not been hits with fans of their vintage stuff. And as for the Yachmaster II... Even the 36mm DJ is now sold as a ladies' watch, which probably rather annoys a few male wearers of that particular model.

i have read a few "reports" from the DLG and i have to be honest it is hard to see their output and a factual snapshot of the industry when you review their Client list http://www.digital-luxury.com/#!/clients/ thats not to say it is not worthy of a read but knowing who pays for the research can assist in taking the pinch of salt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    They have, and everyone bitched and moaned about it. Not that Rolex cares ;). But the DJII, Big Explorer, Deep Sea and Explorer II have not been hits with fans of their vintage stuff. And as for the Yachmaster II... Even the 36mm DJ is now sold as a ladies' watch, which probably rather annoys a few male wearers of that particular model.
    Marginal size increases are to little to late . 43-45mm watches will give them a huge boost in sales .
    Omega have pretty much all bases covered when it comes to the sizes of the popular models .

I don't know who Digital Luxury Group and am a little wary of taking too much at face value but I'm interested in the line showing declining Tudor sales. I wonder whether this has anything to do with them re-opening in the States.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    great read, thanks for this. Very interesting!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    Marginal size increases are to little to late . 43-45mm watches will give them a huge boost in sales .
    Omega have pretty much all bases covered when it comes to the sizes of the popular models .
    Omega has certainly got a broader range, but most of the complaining about Rolex is that their size increases were unnecessary, and they have a point - big watches are more about statement, not increased readability.
    Last edited by andrew; 23rd January 2014 at 14:43.