closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DE shaving question

Master

DE shaving question

Hi guys, I recently tried again to go back to de Shaving, thankfully this time is going much better and I am really enjoying it but I wanted to ask a probably very basic question, how often do you guys change the blade ? And how do you dispose of them?

Thanks in advance for your responses

This question pops up every now and then on here, and there was no real consensus when I asked a few months ago.

I think opinions varied based on the make, how coarse your beard is, and how belligerent the responders were. FWIW I resolved to change Feathers after every other shave as they blunt quite quickly, but if I was a bit tighter I might push them out to every other as it seems a bit wasteful, but I do like my blades ninja-sharp.

I 'm using straight razor most of the time, and sometime DE. Edwin Jagger de89 and Derby blades. Having pretty tough beard 4 to 6 shaving have no efect on blade's sharpness. The key is proper beard preparation. If your beard is not properly prepared the blade can start to pull and tug even after single shave.
    Feather blades are extremly sharp and hard, should't go dull so fast.
    I'm also using Feather Artist Club SS with interchangeable blades. 10 to 30 shaving with each, again, the better the beard is prepared the easiest is the shaving and your blade will last longer.
    As about disposing used blades, there are disposing container for about 100 blades, cost about 1 quid, and after you fill it dispose all together.
    Wish you BBS.

I use feathers twice, but i usually only shave once a week. So they probably go rusty before they are blunt.

Journeyman
    I use Feather blades and usually get 2 shaves-per-edge. As for disposal, there is a storage bit for this in the back of the (Feather) blade box, just be careful once you have around six blades in it as an increasing amount of force is needed to get the last ones in.

I use Israeli blades and change them once a week regardless of how many shaves I have. The most shave per week is probably 5 but I will change the blade even after just 2 shaves. The reason is that if I change the blade every week I know it is always sharp.

I've been using a DE for circa 6 years and personally think the blades should be good for 6-7 shaves provided you prepare your beard and use a good shaving cream. YMMV

I usually change a blade every week but after that chat on here about that blade sharpener I'm well in the second week using the same blade and it still feels a good shave.

Rod

Feathers have a triple hone, explained here: http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?t=28823 which explains why they're ultra sharp but tend too "go off" after a couple of shaves.

I use them exclusively, in a Feather AS-DE razor, which gives the combination of a very sharp blade in a mild razor, but I don't push them beyond three shaves, because at that point they become a Derby.

Which, apart from Merkur, are the worst and most inconsistent blades known to mankind.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I find Feathers very good and actually get 6 shaves or more out of a blade without them going rough. However for some reason a couple of months ago I started to get nicks here and there despite not having changed any of my routine. I switched back to Gillette 7 o'clocks and Astra's, both of which are excellent blades IMHO and have been quite happy with them since.

3-4 times for me, or when I feel I need too.

You soon know when it's time if you forget to change.

As for disposing of them, you can buy a money box to sit on your shelf and fill that or even punch a hole in a can of soup, empty the soup out and use that.

Journeyman

Gillette

Good ole Gillette Fusion 4-5 blades made in Boston, MA USA
    Last a while before needing replacement and the first few shaves with each blade are smooth-

Master
    Big thanks for the advice guys, I have a load of Gillette 7 O'clock blades ready and I ordered a small blades disposal box which my wife then can empty at work, sorted !

Journeyman
    Swear by feather blades, usually get 4 decent shaves. As mentioned has a storage slot at back of case for used blades.

Love DE experience, recently improved with a steam free bathroom mirror to help get a really great post shower shave

Journeyman
    Change them whenever feels comfortable for you. On average most blades get three shaves for me. Although if during a shave they feel like they're pulling they'll get ditched mid shave.

I was getting 4-5 shaves off a Feather, but finding it more comfortable on the 2nd, 3rd + goes - that is to say it got less aggressive as it lost its hyper sharp edge.

Ive been using Astra (Turkish I think) blades lately, which I find significantly more comfortable at the minor cost of only getting 3 shaves a pop. Since they are much cheaper than Feather, I'm not bothered.

Odd how price is no guide to suitability of the product. You'd never get that with watches...

I use the Gillette silver blue blades which I find more comfortable and less likely to get knicks with. So far I can get around a weeks (5-6) worth of shaving before having to replace the blade

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pulga69 View Post
    Hi guys, I recently tried again to go back to de Shaving, thankfully this time is going much better and I am really enjoying it but I wanted to ask a probably very basic question, how often do you guys change the blade ? And how do you dispose of them?

Thanks in advance for your responses
    I put my used blades back into the plastic box the razors come in, if you look at the underside of the box there is a slot to slide them into, when all used you can safely put them in with your general refuse. you can just about see the slot in the image below
    Last edited by Steve B; 3rd February 2014 at 10:23.

Master
    Currently using Tigers and it tends to be 2-3 shaves per blade.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    As about disposing used blades, there are disposing container for about 100 blades, cost about 1 quid, and after you fill it dispose all together.
    Does anyone know where you can get these in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Does anyone know where you can get these in the UK?
    I buy mine from here ($1 from a US seller):
    http://int.classicshaving.com/feathe...lade-safe.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I buy mine from here ($1 from a US seller):
    http://int.classicshaving.com/feathe...lade-safe.html

$9 postage makes it quite price though, even if I get several. May bite but hopefully there is a UK stockist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    $9 postage makes it quite price though, even if I get several. May bite but hopefully there is a UK stockist.
    I've not found one. Order half a dozen. They'll last you years!

Some of the plastic 10 blade dispensers have a slot on the bottom so you can put the blades back into the dispenser. I don't use a blade bin but rather wrap the old blade in the paper that the new one came in and put it straight in the bin. Provided it is wrapped in the paper they come in, I don't see any problems.

Journeyman
    Here's a UK seller of the Feather blade banks.

http://cavemangrooming.co.uk/feather...-disposal-bank
    Last edited by Yellow Jim; 3rd February 2014 at 21:31.

Journeyman
    I've not used that site BTW. Seems a bit steep. You can occasionally pick them up on eBay for half that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jim View Post
    UK seller of the Feather blade banks here.

http://cavemangrooming.co.uk/feather...-disposal-bank
    HOW MUCH?!

Master
    At that price, I'll get 3 from the states!

I strop mine and each edge lasts for about 5 shaves, not because I'm stingy but because I enjoy it. I am using Astras in a Merkur. How much and how hot you wet your beard and the soap/brush you use will help stop them blunting.

I have type 1 diabetes so inject 5 times a day. I dispose of my blades in my sharps box that my used hypodermic needles go in.

Feathers in a merkur razor. I found switching to the merkur from a Gillette black beauty greatly improved my shave - even with the same blades

I'm certainly going to try Feathers when I run out of my Astras.... They seem to get the best reviews pretty much everywhere!

i just use them one time, i like them very sharp and don't like them to go rusty in the razor.

maybe wasteful but i don't shave very often, if i did i can't imagine i would operate much differently though, it's not like they are extortionately priced multiblade refills, if you only used them once you'd have to be pretty well off

Thomas Reid
    What I find most interesting is that folks don't shave every day. At weekends, I don't always, as they say, "stand very close to a razor", but still, I at least do a quick, light shave. (This is independent of the shaving method.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    What I find most interesting is that folks don't shave every day. At weekends, I don't always, as they say, "stand very close to a razor", but still, I at least do a quick, light shave. (This is independent of the shaving method.)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I don't normally shave at the weekend, as your face really appreciates not being skinned alive every single day, and as a result the Monday morning shave is always the most comfortable and nick free of the week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I can get away with twice a week due to light colour / slow growth (I have a customer meeting tomorrow but I shaved this morning, tomorrow, unless I kiss them, they'll never know I didn't shave that morning) . If I shave more often than that I get shaving rash from hell. I'm a delicate flower!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Feathers have a triple hone, explained here: http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?t=28823 which explains why they're ultra sharp but tend too "go off" after a couple of shaves.

I use them exclusively, in a Feather AS-DE razor, which gives the combination of a very sharp blade in a mild razor, but I don't push them beyond three shaves, because at that point they become a Derby.

Which, apart from Merkur, are the worst and most inconsistent blades known to mankind.
    Just got a Feather AS and must say very impressed after using the a Merkur 34C for 18 months. Will take a bit of getting use to the angle to get a close shave as it so smooth...!