closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Tyres - Garage Swapped at service or repair?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Car Tyres - Garage Swapped at service or repair?

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I purchased my car a couple years ago and when originally purchased the dealer stuck a couple new Continental tyres on to match the existing as the tyres on the car were worn. Anyway the car has been in a couple of different garages since I purchased it, however today I had a set of tyres fitted only to note that the tyres that the dealer I thought had originally fitted, was some weird make. Obviously I presumed I was mistaken on the make, but the set taken off the car had also been previously repaired twice on one tyre and the other was our of shape and that I had had no punctures so I didn't repair it! The tyres were new when I collected the car as they had a couple painted lines on the tread and I saw a receipt the dealer had for the tyres for £80+ each as he commented on this when I completed the paperwork.

So this leaves me to only other uncomfortable conclusion is that whilst my car was at a garage they swapped the tyres over?

Has anyone every experienced this before or like me never pay any real attention to the car?

B

Happened many many years ago to me.I was offered a job with a company car and decided to put my car for sale in a local garage in the hope that it would sell.It didn't unfortunately and when I went to collect it I realised that the tyres had been swapped for inferior ones.My word against theirs and I was stung.So yes it happens.
    Last edited by itsgotournameonit; 19th February 2014 at 00:46.

Many years ago I had a company car (Ford Sierra) and a main dealer in Norwich replaced all four tyres at service without obtaining prior approval from the fleet manager. When I went to collect the car I wouldn't sign the bill and that's when the fun started.

The "new" tyres were in fact part worn and had been liberally painted with tyre paint on the outside walls. The fleet manager demanded the old tyres were put back on (we always purchased tyres at ATS) but they had been disposed of. It turned out that charging for new tyres and fitting part worn had been pretty common (and had been the subject of an article in the EDP and had caught the attention of Trading Standards).

Master
    My uncle had two tyres swiped whilst parked at an airport, Nearly new turned into bald over night!

^
    That'll be what happened to my hair!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I purchased my car a couple years ago and when originally purchased the dealer stuck a couple new Continental tyres on to match the existing as the tyres on the car were worn. Anyway the car has been in a couple of different garages since I purchased it, however today I had a set of tyres fitted only to note that the tyres that the dealer I thought had originally fitted, was some weird make. Obviously I presumed I was mistaken on the make, but the set taken off the car had also been previously repaired twice on one tyre and the other was our of shape and that I had had no punctures so I didn't repair it! The tyres were new when I collected the car as they had a couple painted lines on the tread and I saw a receipt the dealer had for the tyres for £80+ each as he commented on this when I completed the paperwork.

So this leaves me to only other uncomfortable conclusion is that whilst my car was at a garage they swapped the tyres over?

Has anyone every experienced this before or like me never pay any real attention to the car?

B

Did happen to me many years back - get some tyre marker make a squiggle on each tyre and photograph it.

Worked wonders for me once years later called the police and the guy was threatened with arrest for theft - the garage owner paid for a replacement and the guy was sacked - never went there again.

B

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Thanks Brian just ordered a tyre pen.

Craftsman
    Do you check your tyre pressures regularly? Sounds like this could have happened a while ago, so maybe you might have noticed sooner and narrowed down the culprit. Wrong tyre combination and possibly dodgy repairs could have been potentially dangerous.

Craftsman
    Scary!
    Have an old car but I don't skimp on thread depth or brand with the tyres.
    Hadn't thought of this occuring

Master
    Spare wheels used to be the ones to go, as you rarely check them. Also happens with hire cars. Another thing to check with hire cars is that the mileages and fuel checks out when you get them. I was given one at Belfast Airport with 1/4 tank of fuel missing and 80 miles on the clock (ie different to start miles on hirers signout sheet!). Someone had obviously had a day out!

i used to be an bt engineer got in my van one morning as i went to pull away heard a big clunk some one had jacked the van up and pinched the wheel another time i arrived at the yard and someone had whizzed all the headlamps of the vans

One of the reasons I only use one of two garages (depending on the work required), ever since I took my car in for a standard service and it was returned with the incorrect valve caps.

Yes, I notice valve caps, so I'd certainly notice the wrong tyres.

Wow that pretty underhanded! Scary too, I don't think I would have noticed until a lot later if it had happened on my car!