closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Precista PRS-3 vs CWC Diver

Precista PRS-3 vs CWC Diver

I recently bought a Precista PRS-3 off SC and I think it's great. It is, however, just a touch too large for me.

The CWC Automatic Diver that can be bought from Silvermans is, I understand, a little smaller, which I think would be ideal. The CWC is also more than double what I paid for the PRS-3 of course.

Does anyone have or has had both and could let me know just how much smaller the CWC is? Photos are appreciated. Also are there any other differences other than the size? The movement is the same as far as I know, and the date is different, but how does the lume compare?

Many thanks
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Craftsman
    I haven't tried the new PRS3 but have done a lot I research and it seems about a mm bigger in each direction than the CWC.

Other key differences are mineral glass and fixed bars on the CWC compared to sapphire and springbars on the PRS3.

The CWC looks the same size, but indeed wears smaller. Perhaps it's the difference in the lug size, I don't know, but with my 6,5 inch. wrist I prefered the CWC RN Diver.

Pics of the PRS-3 (LE)

And of course the CWC

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    .... but how does the lume compare?
    I have a '12 CWC RN diver with luminova and an '08 SBS diver with tritium, also an '89 G10 that no longer glows.

I cannot compare the lume on the Precista with that on the CWC but I can tell you the newer CWC luminova is MUCH brighter than the CWC tritium lume. The tritium does not need a charge and is always on but is quite weak compared to the charged luminova. Something to think about if you go for a used watch.

Craftsman
    I don't have a CWC auto, but I do have a SBS which seems to have the same lug to lug height as it. It does seem to be a better size for my 6.2in wrists.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroeseight View Post
    I don't have a CWC auto, but I do have a SBS which seems to have the same lug to lug height as it. It does seem to be a better size for my 6.2in wrists.
    Just my personal opinion - but to be honest size-wise they hardly look any different on your wrist. Again, also down to personal preferences IMHO the orange hand of the Precista makes reading 'at a glance' easier :-)

Craftsman
    I agree from the photos the difference in size seems neglible. Perhaps video would show it better. The PRS-3 is slightly taller which is not apparent in the photos.

Thanks for the information. I have slim wrists so I'm guessing I will probably feel a difference and prefer the CWC like the others here.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to buy one, although that would involve selling something, probably the PRS-82 (eek).
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I recently bought a Precista PRS-3 off SC and I think it's great. It is, however, just a touch too large for me.

The CWC Automatic Diver that can be bought from Silvermans is, I understand, a little smaller, which I think would be ideal. The CWC is also more than double what I paid for the PRS-3 of course.

Does anyone have or has had both and could let me know just how much smaller the CWC is? Photos are appreciated. Also are there any other differences other than the size? The movement is the same as far as I know, and the date is different, but how does the lume compare?

Many thanks
    Difference is ~ 1 mm or so, close to nothing. Besides, military type watches are by default chunky, strong, robust & have. IMHO, botherings are not worthy. Just my 2 cents...

I have to disagree. I happen to own both watches (CWC RN Auto and two PRS-3's) and the CWC wears significantly smaller than the PRS-3. The PRS-3 also does wear smaller on Nato than the original (massive) bracelet, which does not taper. So far at least my observations.

Best
    JMH

The 1mm difference is significant enough to affect the weight and feel of each watch.
    This is the older Broadarrow PRS-4 next to the current PRS-3.

Well, I ended up buying a CWC and it is indeed much more comfortable for me. I think it's just generally smaller in all dimensions, only by a single millimetre, but that seems to make the difference. The lug to lug distance is shorter by nearly 2mm, on paper at least.

So I am very pleased with it and will probably fight with the PRS-18 as my most worn watch. And at the moment it is running at -1 second per day, which is my most accurate watch, just in front of the PRS-3 at 2 per day.

I don't know about the tritium dials, but mine is Luminova and the hands glow much stronger than the hour markers, which I've not come across before but does work very well.

Master
    I prefer the full dial with the lack of the wide chapter ring of the PRS3, however the CWC wears nicer IMO.

So the ultimate for me would be dial and sword hands of the PRS3 and with the case of the CWC.

Well get it bought if you like it because I won't be making more.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Well get it bought if you like it because I won't be making more.

Eddie
    Wow, feels a bit like an end of an era. My PRS-3 LE Blue is what I call the flagship of my collection, such a great watch and great memories linked with it. Glad I have two of these beauties now, I have not been as smart back then when the PRS-14 was about to be discontinued. We just talked about the sizes here, but compared to the CWC RN Auto, the Precista is so much more value for money, the better watch too. Not only the crystal, also the build quality, the lume, even the accessories which come with the watch. The CWC RN Lume (I am talking about the new ones with Luminova instead of Tritium) is laughable, comparable to the old Kronos SBS divers. The CWC has its own charm though, it is the underdog in my collection. ;)

Sorry for going off topic... If the PRS-3 might be too big, the PRS-18 would be a great alternative.

EDIT: Just saw that the TS expressly asked about the lume,so I was not that off topic after all. The PRS-3 is not known for its great lume, its considered to be okayish-good, and I agree. The CWC lume is a disaster: Dial lume nearly non-existent, hands glow brighter but is unevenly applied (leading to "dark(er) spots"), if u check the hour hand on this picture u can already see a dark spot: http://www.cwcwatch.com/images/st35620.jpg
    Last edited by JMH; 8th March 2014 at 09:28.

My quartz CWC has the T dial but with super-luminova applied. There is a slightly thin application to the centre of the hour hand but apart from that the lume is as bright and effective as the 18Q, on the dial and hands.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    ...The CWC RN Lume (I am talking about the new ones with Luminova instead of Tritium) is laughable, comparable to the old Kronos SBS divers. The CWC has its own charm though, it is the underdog in my collection. ;)

Sorry for going off topic... If the PRS-3 might be too big, the PRS-18 would be a great alternative.

EDIT: Just saw that the TS expressly asked about the lume,so I was not that off topic after all. The PRS-3 is not known for its great lume, its considered to be okayish-good, and I agree. The CWC lume is a disaster: Dial lume nearly non-existent, hands glow brighter but is unevenly applied (leading to "dark(er) spots"), if u check the hour hand on this picture u can already see a dark spot: http://www.cwcwatch.com/images/st35620.jpg
    Are you sure it is Luminova? The Luminova lume on my CWC diver from '12 is fantastic, comparable to my Stowa. It is bright, even and glows most of the night. My older CWC diver from '08 with tritium lume glows pretty weakly, though it is consistant.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    My quartz CWC has the T dial but with super-luminova applied. There is a slightly thin application to the centre of the hour hand but apart from that the lume is as bright and effective as the 18Q, on the dial and hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007
    Are you sure it is Luminova? The Luminova lume on my CWC diver from '12 is fantastic, comparable to my Stowa. It is bright, even and glows most of the night. My older CWC diver from '08 with tritium lume glows pretty weakly, though it is consistant.
    Sorry, should have added that what I wrote is only true for the automatic version - the quartz version is different! You can already see that by comparing pictures on the net. As soon as I have time I will post some lume shots for comparison between PRS-18A, CWC Rn Auto and PRS-3. Gladly I have em all here. ;)

You see a comparison lume shot of (from left to right):

1) PRS-3 LE (Black),
    2) CWC RN Auto 2012,
    3) PRS-18.

PRS-18 clearly superior, followed by the PRS-3. The CWC RN Auto Luminova lume is strong but unevenly applied on hands and terrible on the dial. As stated above. The CWC quartz version got better lume.

Best
    JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 8th March 2014 at 16:47.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't anybody find it unbelievable that cwc have such poor Lume quality on their automatic divers watch. You would expect the price increase to affect the level of Lume applied considering the Lume is reputable on the quartz.

I understand cwc responding to lowest contractor for production of the watches but for Christ sake the mod spec includes some brightness for reading in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post

You see a comparison lume shot of (from left to right):

1) PRS-3 LE (Black),
    2) CWC RN Auto 2012,
    3) PRS-18.

PRS-18 clearly superior, followed by the PRS-3. The CWC RN Auto Luminova lume is strong but unevenly applied on hands and terrible on the dial. As stated above. The CWC quartz version got better lume.

Best
    JMH
    You are right, that does look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post

So the ultimate for me would be dial and sword hands of the PRS3 and with the case of the CWC.
    I think the ultimate would be the auto CWC, with spring bars, at the price of the PRS-3! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by zeroeseight View Post

I have never ever before seen a picture of the new PRS-3 side by side with the CWC. The Precista looks to me like a CWC on steroids.

Owned both moved on the PRS-3 due to its size.
    Sold my first CWC RN Diver and then bought another which I think tells its own story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk