closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The new Milgauss

The new Milgauss

I'm completely smitten with the new Rolex Milgauss and am considering liqidating a big chunk of the collection to get one.

Before I do, has anyone got an idea of price and likely availability? All my plans are based on it being around £3500 and with that sort of figure in mind i'd prefer it if there was a waiting list.

I'd ring Goldsmiths but I don't know how to pronounce Milgauss :?

How about mil as in military and gauss as in house? It was certainly pronounced this way by maths teachers (Gaussian distribution and all that stuff) at 'O' level.

Reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Friedrich_Gauss

reminds me of a line from an Ian Dury song; "There ain't arf been some clever ba****ds"! All over 200 years ago too. :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

Have you seen the new S.Steel GMT....

Hi ,

New case and IMO SWeet !!!!

Cheers,
    M

People on the other TZ were trashing the lightning bolt seconds hand, but I like it. I recall seeing photos of some old one or old prototype from yesteryear with that hand, and tried to tell them that it had a history and wasn't merely some new gimmick. I'm sure that Deusrae has some info on that as he seems to be a Rolex and Milgaus expert. :?:

Good luck. I think the new Milgaus is great. Wish I could manage one.

Craftsman

Re: The new Milgauss

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    IAll my plans are based on it being around £3500 and with that sort of figure in mind i'd prefer it if there was a waiting list.
    3,500-4,000 sounds about right. I remember something in the upper half of 5K Euros.

Who needs a Milgauss when the SB3 is due this century, though? :wink:

Guntram

Approx. £3200 for the non centenary version, I have my name down for a standard black dial.

Sanjay :)

Master
    I saw a price of ~£3030 bandied about and would have thought that's closer to the mark than £3500.

As for the lightning bolt second hand, it appears to be a homage to the original ref. 6541 Milgauss:

The dial layout appears to be a homage to the 1st generation dial 1019:

But it's a bit of a circus in comparison to the simple 1019 dial.

The new Milgauss would appeal to me more if it didn't have different colour lume on the 3, 6 and 9 batons. Going further, orange wouldn't have been my choice on the seconds hand colour, I'm no fan of the polished lugs or centre links on the bracelet; and the green sapphire on the premier model does nothing for me at all.

I think it's a decent watch but doubt I'll be buying one when a) I already have a 1019; and b) I just committed to grabbing a 1665 with a particularly appropriate set of trinkets.

Deus,

The Centenary model is the one with the different colour lume markers at 3,6 & 9, the standard black dial has the same colour all the way round.

The white dial has the same config. too but with cream lume markers rather than white.

Sanjay :)

I was thinking of the standard rather than the centenary model the one with the "white" dial.

A bit too shiny for my tastes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Master
    The dial configuration I want to see is black with white lume on all the batons and with the 5 minute chapter numbering. Unfortunately, it's not on offer.

The 'anniversary' dial is just silly with the mismatched lume colours.

The white dial is just as bad with the all cream lume but white lume hands. :?

Why even use cream lume? All the information out there shows coloured luminova doesn't work as well as white stuff so the visibility on two of the current dials isn't going to be all that flash.

Craftsman
    List prices in Swiss Francs www.r-l-x.de with 7,6% of VAT include.

Milgauss
    Ref 116400 = 6500 CHF
    Ref 116400GV = 6900 CHF

GMT II
    Ref 116710 = 7350 CHF

Dynamo

Journeyman
    Nice watch but quite expensive for what it is,basically a airking in a tarted up case.Even at the time the vintage ones were very very poor sellers but now original vintage models now costing telephone number money.A bit like 6263/5 Daytona's at the time could not give them away again very poor sellers,but today again telephone numbers prices .Wonder if the Yachtmaster 11 alias clownmaster 11,or modern Milguass will ever become collectable. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by peter56
    Nice watch but quite expensive for what it is,basically a airking in a tarted up case.Even at the time the vintage ones were very very poor sellers but now original vintage models now costing telephone number money.A bit like 6263/5 Daytona's at the time could not give them away again very poor sellers,but today again telephone numbers prices .Wonder if the Yachtmaster 11 alias clownmaster 11,or modern Milguass will ever become collectable. :lol:
    2 mm makes a lot of difference. I've always found the Airking just too small for anything other than dress wear. The Explorer on the other hand is just right for just about everything. Its also worth noting that Rolex are going to chronometer certify everything on the Oyster side soon and that will raise Airking prices.

I also have to admit to finding the sheer daftness of the Clownmaster quite endearing.

and as as it took me a few months to fully understand my GMT II there's probably years of entertainment value in the manual.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    People on the other TZ were trashing the lightning bolt seconds hand
    Plenty of folks - I suspect the younger ones - on the other TZ also have the memory of a gnat, and know nothing about any history. Either that, or they're stinking rich but won't be spunking a hundred k on IWC products this year because of THAT advert :D
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter56
    Nice watch but quite expensive for what it is,basically a airking in a tarted up case.
    Ask IWC how much it costs to create an iron inner core to ensure great resistance to magnetic fields.

Actually don't bother.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!