closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay make an offer

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

eBay make an offer

I just made an offer via the make an offer button and instantly got a pop up box saying the seller had declined my offer.

Am I correct in thinking that he has set a minimum amount he will accept and eBay will automatically decline any lower offers on his behalf.

Seems a bit off in my book.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

eBay make an offer

Has been like this for some time.

Why does it seem off? Makes sense to me.

Master
    Yes. That's the standard way it is done. Automatic rejection if it doesn't meet the seller's minimum. The good thing is that it saves a lot of time with messages back and forth.
    Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I just made an offer via the make an offer button and instantly got a pop up box saying the seller had declined my offer.

Am I correct in thinking that he has set a minimum amount he will accept and eBay will automatically decline any lower offers on his behalf.

Seems a bit off in my book.
    Yes you can set a price that offers below will be declined, and a separate price for offers to be accepted. Anything in between goes for his consideration.

I don't see the problem, it's an automated decline, rather than the seller having to do it manually. Same end result.

eBay make an offer

When you set up a "buy it now with best offer" on eBay you have the facility to set an auto accept figure and an auto decline figure. This means that you don't have to bother with silly lowball offers.

I'm not saying that your offer was silly but it's quite common to get offers of less than half the asking price!

That's normal for make an offer on Ebay and the seller has set a "reserve" for the offer.

Journeyman
    Yes. That's how it works. Why do you think it's off? Your offer was lower than the seller is prepared to sell the item for. I don't see what is wrong with that personally. I think you have a few chances to go back in with a higher offer before you are "prevented" from.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It's a great system, giving you the opportunity to ignore clowns bidding ridiculously low

Craftsman
    It's a great system - bear in mind you only get three chances to make an offer as well, so go in too low three times and you can't bid on the item at all.

Like RJM25R said - it means, as a seller, you're not constantly bombarded with stupid low offers that you're never going to accept.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    In the past I have made offers I have got a reply from the seller with a counter offer and from there I know if it's worth pursuing.

If the seller has set a price he will accept, why not just list it as a but it now at that price and avoid all the pissing about in the first place.

For your information the seller in question sells High end lighters and checking his feedback he sold a Rollagas in red enamel for price A, and has a yellow one and has a buy it now of B, somI offered the price he got the red one.

Seems fair in my book.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    In the past I have made offers I have got a reply from the seller with a counter offer and from there I know if it's worth pursuing.

If the seller has set a price he will accept, why not just list it as a but it now at that price and avoid all the pissing about in the first place.

For your information the seller in question sells High end lighters and checking his feedback he sold a Rollagas in red enamel for price A, and has a yellow one and has a buy it now of B, somI offered the price he got the red one.

Seems fair in my book.
    Read the replies above. He has set a price window in which he will consider offers. The negotiating takes place in that price bracket. Your offer was below what he wants to start negotiating at.

Seems like a practical way of doing things to me. I will be doing this next time I have something on eBay, had so many silly offers before that I've not bothered with make an offer for a while

Yeah u get 3 Best offers then no more