closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Probably a very stupid question but here goes....

Craftsman

Probably a very stupid question but here goes....

I just received my new Guinand watch (a 21.05.03). I'm really pleased with it as I wanted something a bit more elegant (the numerals are really nice).

I bought it specifically to wear with a suit so I chose the version with only two subdials (three looked too "busy"). I was surprised to find that the second hand only moves when the stopwatch is engaged. Is this normal for a valjoux 7750 with two subdials?

All the instructions are in Deutsch.

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb newbie question

Master
    Yes this is normal. The Valjoux 7750 has an additional continuous second hand at 9 o'clock. This subdial has been omitted on this watch. The centre second hand is for the chronograph function.

The big second hand? Yes that's the way almost all chronographs work. Don't be embarassed; lots of people don't know this. My father in law has a chrono where he keeps the big hand running all the time - I don't have the heart to tell him.

The big seconds hand is the stopwatch; the small seconds hand on a sub dial is the one that "tells the time".

Cheap fakes often don't have a proper chrono movement, and the large seconds hand on those is the permanent seconds.

Edit: ah, there is no permanent seconds dial on your watch.

Craftsman
    Thanks, I just found it a bit disconcerting that nothing "moved" when I wound it up for the first time. I should probably have picked up on this at the factory but the lingo was a bit of a struggle!

Anyway, I can't stop admiring the watch now it's on my wrist so I think I made the right call :D

Thanks again

Dave

Craftsman

Re: Probably a very stupid question but here goes....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHuck
    Apologies in advance if this is a dumb newbie question
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. So bring those questions on, if you have any. If anything, that's what a forum like this is for.

Not having English as my native language, I have asked many "stupid" questions about common abbrevations like SWMBO, IMHO, LOL, Bump etc., and nobody put me down for that - I only got kind answers.

About your watch: You'll find the same configuration in Eddies chrono and in say Sinn 756 (no running seconds).

Some of the Hanhart/Tutima watches and their clones have only two subdials but in "bicompax" configuration - that is subdials at 3 and 9. On these the subdials show stopwatch minutes (at 3) and running seconds (at 9), whereas the stopwatch hour subdial is omitted on those. An example can be seen in the now sold out Aerowatch Pilot on Eddies web site.

Craftsman

Re: Probably a very stupid question but here goes....

Quote Originally Posted by Leif

Not having English as my native language, I have asked many "stupid" questions about common abbrevations like SWMBO......
    Oh dear, you've just reminded me that SWMBO hasn't seen my new acquisition yet :D

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Looks like a lovely watch any chance of some photo's?

I almost bought the Chronosport above a few months back but then crashed my car . Since then I kind of got nervous about buying a new watch, I've only ever bought one new before. Needless to say I've bought a fair few second hand though :wink:.

Good luck with SWMBO, you can always try the "I've had it for ages and just put a new strap on it" ploy, it's worked for a few, so I've been told :) .

Cheers,

Gary

Craftsman
    Thanks Gary, I'm afraid I don't have anywhere to host pics at the moment, but I'll have to try and sort something out over the weekend. I really enjoyed the trip to Guinand (via Sinn), they make some lovely, and unusual, watches.

Now for the difficult bit; "This watch? No I've had it ages.......... ":D

Dave, if you're looking for somewhere to host pics, try photobucket there's a good few here who use it. It's free and pretty easy to use.

Nice watch, by the way!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Now for the difficult bit; "This watch? No I've had it ages.......... ":D
    Good luck with that one Dave :wink:.

A second vote for photobucket from me, free, easy to use and I've never had any problems.

Cheers,

Gary

If you want you can just keep the chrono running all the time - it won't eat too much of the power reserve. Nice watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711
    If you want you can just keep the chrono running all the time - it won't eat too much of the power reserve. Nice watch.
    Thanks. I was wondering whether you could keep it running or whether this would cause undue wear, but I'm quite happy to run the watch as normal now I know there's nothing wrong.

I'll check out photobucket this evening. Off to sweeten up SWMBO with a spot of shopping in the West end now :cry:

Craftsman
    In a world without walls, who needs a location?
    It'll be ok, just that the power reserve will be less.

One advantage of the lack of constant seconds is that you don't get hung up on accuracy. Which is nice. :)

Journeyman
    very nice watch. I had a very similar one with the plain bezel, labeled Kobold. I prefer the model with the larger sized sub-dials actually.
    I didn't mind no seconds hand. on the chronographs, the constant seconds hand is so small anyway , you barely see it. removing it make a cleaner looking dial however.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711
    Thanks. I was wondering whether you could keep it running or whether this would cause undue wear, but I'm quite happy to run the watch as normal now I know there's nothing wrong.

I'll check out photobucket this evening. Off to sweeten up SWMBO with a spot of shopping in the West end now :cry:
    yes, running this chrono constantly will definitely cause more wear on the parts and you will need to have it serviced more frequently. if you don't mind the expense, then go ahead :shock: