closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Issue with item bought from Sales Corner

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Dare I suggest that by not posting in H&V, you have done something of a disservice to the TZ-UK community? Buying on SC is usually a matter of trust, and checking on H&V is one of the few ways that one can decide whether to send possibly thousands of pounds to a complete stranger, in the hope that the postman will deliver an appropriate shiny gewgaw a few days later.
    Agreed.

Master
    Funny hearing both sides of a story - should have thought twice about starting this thread. "Let the seller beware" on this evidence.

A lot of the time it depends on who you are dealing with.

I have bought and sold a fair few items on TZ over the years with nary a quibble and everyone has been a complete Gentleman (apart from one lady) .

However, a while back I was PM'ed by a member to sell him a vintage watch I had posted on the normal forum as part of a thread.

I had no intention selling it as it was part of a collection. However I relented and when the purchaser received it he complained that there were some small scratches on the back of the lugs due to strap changing.........the watch was fifty years old!

I simply refunded his money. Some people are just impossible to deal with sensibly.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    A lot of the time it depends on who you are dealing with.

I have bought and sold a fair few items on TZ over the years with nary a quibble and everyone has been a complete Gentleman (apart from one lady) .

However, a while back I was PM'ed by a member to sell him a vintage watch I had posted on the normal forum as part of a thread.

I had no intention selling it as it was part of a collection. However I relented and when the purchaser received it he complained that there were some small scratches on the back of the lugs due to strap changing.........the watch was fifty years old!

I simply refunded his money. Some people are just impossible to deal with sensibly.
    I completely agree. There should be a spirit of open honesty with both parties anxious to assure that each are happy with the deal. It's when the recriminations start that things get messy as there are always those who feel the need to weigh in with opinions, often without knowing the truth of the matter. This is why I let my issue go as I just couldn't be bothered with what I knew would follow. I also figured it wouldn't get me anywhere and decided that the lesson I learned was worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The very first line at the beginning of the guide to using SC....... "Sales corner is for the use of forum members to sell or trade any item, it is not solely for trading watches. "

Written by the owner of the forum. Perhaps you might like to send him a PM regarding the reorganisation of our sparse "rules".
    Alas, I am neither a "Forum Monitor" nor do I have the inclination to do. Perhaps you should get a life and refrain from posting pious crap on here - nearly 23000 posts - it's just not healthy. Tee-hee, quite..................

Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    You can certainly suggest that but, as far as my incident goes, I don't agree with you. I lost a few hundred quid but didn't want to get involved in a 'he said, I said' argument on the forum. Suffice it to say I wouldn't do business with this individual again. I know what happened and I will keep it that way.
    So, you wouldn't do business with him again, which, forgive me if I'm wrong kind of suggests you don't trust him in some kind of way......but by keeping this information to yourself you are perhaps placing someone else in to the same ranks as yourself, ie out of pocket.

Thanks very much, completely in keeping with the forum that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VVT View Post
    Well done for posting 'the other side of the argument " for all to see. This sort of thing really gets my goat, some bleating numb-nuts wailing about something they bought a month ago. That said, I don't know about a ban on dealers but perhaps it's about time Sales Corner on this watch forum banned the sale of anything that is not watch related. In recent times we have seen everything from underpants and socks to broken coffee makers and all sorts of general rubbish that has no place on here. FFS take it to the charity shop or if you want a few quid then put it on EBAY.
    Alas, I am neither a "Forum Monitor" nor do I have the inclination to do. Perhaps you should get a life and refrain from posting pious crap on here - nearly 517 posts - it's just not healthy. Tee-hee, quite..................

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    You can certainly suggest that but, as far as my incident goes, I don't agree with you. I lost a few hundred quid but didn't want to get involved in a 'he said, I said' argument on the forum. Suffice it to say I wouldn't do business with this individual again. I know what happened and I will keep it that way.
    So some other poor sucker comes along,deals with this person and loses a few hundred quid.........

Do you use H&V when looking at buying or selling? Would you not want this information to reference?

Craftsman
    Gareth-W has gone very quiet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontblowsmoke View Post
    Gareth-W has gone very quiet
    He tried to post from his mobile, but apparently it's broken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    He tried to post from his mobile, but apparently it's broken

LMAO!

As ever there are two sides to the story.

As Johnny said I did buy the Q10 from him on 1st of March. It was bought as a secondary device to be used pretty much 100% for text communication on an alternate network to my iPhone 5.

On receipt of the Q10 (and yes the sale process was 100% satisfactory) I was happy with it but after 2-3 days I could not get on with the BB interface at all as I'm so used to Apple devices now so felt rather than struggle on with it to possibly seek/trade it for another iPhone. I stress at this point I had no need or occasion to use the "telephone" side of the device as that was just not a requirement for this device.

So after the odd trade deal not coming off I decided to persevere with BB as a text device as for that it worked just fine. I can categorically state that it was never dropped or damaged in any way and I would never offload anything defective on any forum.....it's a small world on the ' net and it's simply not worth it.

So this week I had cause to receive and make phone calls on the BB (first time in 3-4 weeks) and this side of the device simply didn't work at all. I checked all the settings, read the on line BB forums and couldn't find anything to help. So I went into Vodafone Woking on Friday afternoon and they checked it over for me. They said all the settings were ok and there was no damage to the device or any network or SIM card issue......so I am mystified that side of the device didn't work and have no idea how/where and for how much it could be rectified.

So on getting home I contacted Johnny to explain the problem and to ask where he bought it from. He explained it was bought from eBay some 9 months ago and he had checked it before selling/sending to me and it was fine for him. I don't doubt that at all but it doesn't help me that I now have a duff Q10 that (without a receipt or being the original buyer) don't have any consumer recourse to. All I asked Johnny was what could he do to help or suggest and I personally felt his reply to be somewhat unhelpful/blunt (and yes I did paraphrase that it appeared he didn't really care about the issue I had)

If it was me (if I'd been the seller) I would have tried to be a little more helpful or to maybe offer a refund but this was not the sellers view....so we have a difference of outlook there.

Everything I have stated here is 100% honest and correct so perhaps some of the people here who felt the need to judge/chastise without the balance being present to re-think their comments. For the record I also feel the need to open this out to all and sundry to be regrettable but that's only occurred for the following reasons;

1. I was not aware of the recourse process and have never looked to post negatively and specifically in the "Heroes and Villans" section. I take the view that if you can't say anything good or productive openly then it's best to say nothing at all.

2. Johnny posting here and inferring that I was of dubious ethics on why I considered selling or trading the Q10 and then the subsequent posts from other members that didn't know the entire picture.

Well to continue it on here is pointless as all you will get is other people offering their points across and probably adding fuel to the fire.

Exchange phone numbers and sort it out and post the outcome.

How did you make payment? Via paypal? Via your bank? - if paypal you can raise a issue and they can take your money back (happened with me - I returned the item signed for as it wasn't technically what was ordered (wrong colour and size), they said tough s**t) I had proof of return and the money was returned to me. Had the same happen with my bank. Even though it is a private sale it is still covered by the law.

SO first question how did you pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Well to continue it on here is pointless as all you will get is other people offering their points across and probably adding fuel to the fire.

Exchange phone numbers and sort it out and post the outcome.

You may be very right here Franky....

For the record in my PM I gave Johnny my number (iPhone, before the jokers jump in.....) and asked him to call me....but he left it to PM respond to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich View Post
    How did you make payment? Via paypal? Via your bank? - if paypal you can raise a issue and they can take your money back (happened with me - I returned the item signed for as it wasn't technically what was ordered (wrong colour and size), they said tough s**t) I had proof of return and the money was returned to me. Had the same happen with my bank. Even though it is a private sale it is still covered by the law.

It was a bank transfer payment mate.

Banned

People with this mindset should never be permitted access to Sales Corner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    it might state that, but believe me, when it comes to making a claim as a recipient, you have a big hill to climb
    I have claimed as a recipient and it was very easy indeed. The process is exactly the same as claiming as a sender.

Completely agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    As ever there are two sides to the story.

As Johnny said I did buy the Q10 from him on 1st of March. It was bought as a secondary device to be used pretty much 100% for text communication on an alternate network to my iPhone 5.

On receipt of the Q10 (and yes the sale process was 100% satisfactory)

So this week I had cause to receive and make phone calls on the BB (first time in 3-4 weeks) and this side of the device simply didn't work at all. I checked all the settings, read the on line BB forums and couldn't find anything to help. So I went into Vodafone Woking on Friday afternoon and they checked it over for me. They said all the settings were ok and there was no damage to the device or any network or SIM card issue, So what else do you need to know
    All I asked Johnny was what could he do to help or suggest why its your phone that Vodafone says is ok. and I personally felt his reply to be somewhat unhelpful/blunt (and yes I did paraphrase that it appeared he didn't really care about the issue I had)

If it was me (if I'd been the seller) I would have tried to be a little more helpful or to maybe offer a refund really but this was not the sellers view....so we have a difference of outlook,
    OP I'm sorry but on balance I don't think you have a good understanding of the SC, but good luck anyhow.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    OP I'm sorry but on balance I don't think you have a good understanding of the SC, but good luck anyhow.

In response to your points.

Vodafone said the Q10 was fine with the rather obvious exception that the phone side did not function and they said that it was at fault. Clearly something I had become aware of before visiting said store for assistance. I went into Carphone Warehouse for a second opinion and they concurred that everything seemed fine but for the inability to make or receive calls.

I believe I do have a decent grasp of SC but thank you for your input all the same.

Blog Entries
    Just out of interest, how come you were interested in trading the phone, it must surely have checked out as 'fully working' by you?

If so, and something has happened since, then the phone went faulty in your charge / ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Just out of interest, how come you were interested in trading the phone, it must surely have checked out as 'fully working' by you?

If so, and something has happened since, then the phone went faulty in your charge / ownership?

I did answer those questions in my earlier post Gregory.

However to re-iterate once I put the new micro sim in it worked for text use and nothing else was checked - and especially not the phone side which as I stated was not the primary (or even secondary....) intended use of the Q10.

Nothing has occurred in the 3-4 weeks to mean that it should have ceased working (unless I've just been particularly unlucky here) in the period since the seller checked it (and one assumes he checked the phone side whereas I had no need to) and mailed to me as he's explained.

In response to your points.

Vodafone said the Q10 was fine with the rather obvious exception that the phone side did not function and they said that it was at fault. Clearly something I had become aware of before visiting said store for assistance. I went into Carphone Warehouse for a second opinion and they concurred that everything seemed fine but for the inability to make or receive calls.
    Sorry OP but I missed this from your earlier post,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sorry OP but I missed this from your earlier post,

No worries.

Appreciate that it was a long (ish) reply that I posted earlier.

Have a good weekend.

Craftsman

I would never deal with you!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quite!!, not the done thing on here.

Craftsman
    But if something sent (in that case) was the wrong size and colour isn't he entitled to get the money back.
    That seems fair enough to me.

Master
    From what I've read, but feel free to correct.

You buy a phone just for texts? Why? You don't check the "phone" functionality for weeks but put it up for trade/sale anyway. Vodafone say it's "fine" apart from the phone function of the phone not working? How can that be "fine". Then after 4 weeks you complain to OP.

What am I missing?

I do think some people need to get a grip!

^^^ This.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hmm - just my opinion but mobile phones can play up at any time (think I have had many phones inc 3 iPhones that simply went bad over the years etc overnight and thats the hardware not software side).

Personally if I was buying anything electrical whether its a laptop, mobile, TV, DVD player etc I would give it a full test (even if new from the shop let alone second hand)

I don't doubt anybody's story here but think after a month of ownership its a bit of a tall order to expect anybody to refund any money. I would learn from this mistake and move on and in future test the damn thing as soon as received.

If it was me (if I'd been the seller) I would have tried to be a little more helpful or to maybe offer a refund but this was not the sellers view....so we have a difference of outlook there.

I accept all you have said but I can not understand what else you wanted the OP to do? he said he bought it from ebay, you have taken it to Vodafone and they couldn't help, so what exactly were you looking for the OP to help with? ", when you say help it seems you mean a refund, just because he wouldn't refund doesn't mean he effectively told you to do one...no matter why it took you so long to find the fault, the fact is it's a month later, you really can't expect a refund after so much time has past.

Maybe the seller was rude/short with you with his response, if that was the case then I understand you being pissed but imo the most you should have been looking for was a "sorry bought from ebay no warranty, hope you can get it fixed cheaply, if you had let me know within a couple of days then I would have been more than happy to refund", you seem to be interpreting the no refund response as "unhelpful", sounds to me any response short of a refund would have been "unhelpful" in your book.

If the seller was rude then maybe Villain him for that (at a stretch) but if he wasn't and only said he wasn't able to refund then you really should make that clear and not use terms as "unhelpful" and his response effectively "tough s***., when in fact it seems it was "sorry no refund as it's been a month".

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    From what I've read, but feel free to correct.

You buy a phone just for texts? Why? You don't check the "phone" functionality for weeks but put it up for trade/sale anyway. Vodafone say it's "fine" apart from the phone function of the phone not working? How can that be "fine". Then after 4 weeks you complain to OP.

What am I missing?

I do think some people need to get a grip!

You have maybe have not fully read my responses here...but for completeness I'm happy to respond.

Why bought just for texts? My own choice no need to enlarge on that really....but wanted to also have access to BBM too for secondary work contact purposes.

I checked the features of the phone that I bought it for and they all worked. And as explained the "phone" (as in making and receiving voice calls) was not used or checked as it was not a reason I bought it for.

I made one "attempt" at selling/trading it after some frustrations in getting back into a BB device having had Apple devices for 5+ years and at that point had not one clue there was anything amiss with it at all. If I had I would have contacted the seller to ask for any help/guidance back then.....not 3 weeks later. Again I repeat I have no interest in selling anything that could be in the least bit suspect as taking that attitude will guarantee to bite you in the arse and muddy your name on said forum.....never worth it in my book.

I only enquired (not "complained") to the seller seeking some further history and/or help on the issues that only came to light the same day I first tried to use the phone side of the device.....the fact this was 3+ weeks after purchase was not something I could control given the facts I have stated here.

That is pretty much what your own summary is missing.

Thank you for taking the time to input (twice) and have a pleasant weekend.

Spot on,

By not testing ALL functions upon receipt, IMO you can't complain.

The seller said they tested. The buyer should do the same. Its easily possible a fault has occurred during your ownership without you even doing anything.

Sorry but can't see anything wrong with the sale here. Regardless of usage you should test everything. Also given the fact you stated in the sales thread all was good on receipt then really you've only yourself to blame.

Is the software up to date? Mine went to 999 calls only last week but it was fine after a reboot. For Q10 see below:

BB10 Devices. Hold the top button down until the counter reaches zero. Wait for the device to be fully shut down (e.g., nothing at all displayed on the screen, no LED lights, etc.). Hold the top button until the red LED is lit. Wait through the full boot-up process.

I did answer those questions in my earlier post Gregory.

However to re-iterate once I put the new micro sim in it worked for text use and nothing else was checked - and especially not the phone side which as I stated was not the primary (or even secondary....) intended use of the Q10.

Nothing has occurred in the 3-4 weeks to mean that it should have ceased working (unless I've just been particularly unlucky here) in the period since the seller checked it (and one assumes he checked the phone side whereas I had no need to) and mailed to me as he's explained.
    It's a bit of a stretch to buy a phone and only realise 4 weeks later it doesn't work as a phone tbh.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I have sold most of my watches through a dealer, knowing that I was taking bigger hits but saving on potential hassles.

Regardless of where or when the phone stopped being able to send and receive calls, you stated that you only bought it for texts and BBM.

As these both function correctly you can use the phone for it's intended purpose and the reason why you bought the phone in the first place.

My suggestion therefore, is that you just continue to use the phone as you wanted to and forget about the rest. You've still hot the iPhone for calls.

Blog Entries
    To me, the onus is on a buyer to fully check a pre-owned purchased item upon receipt and if there are any issues, deal with them straight away. If after a month has passed and the item then develops a fault, or a fault becomes apparent, then that is unfortunate for the buyer but you can hardly go back to a private seller for some form of redress after that length of time as it is just not reasonable, in my opinion anyway.

There are times in life when things do not work out as you ideally would wish, that is life and you have to roll with it and move on.

Won't ever be dealing with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    To me, the onus is on a buyer to fully check a pre-owned purchased item upon receipt and if there are any issues, deal with them straight away. If after a month has passed and the item then develops a fault, or a fault becomes apparent, then that is unfortunate for the buyer but you can hardly go back to a private seller for some form of redress after that length of time as it is just not reasonable, in my opinion anyway.

There are times in life when things do not work out as you ideally would wish, that is life and you have to roll with it and move on.
    The Voice Of Reason.............

Noted. Will never deal with this guy either.

Master
    You have maybe have not fully read my responses here...but for completeness I'm happy to respond.

Why bought just for texts? My own choice no need to enlarge on that really....but wanted to also have access to BBM too for secondary work contact purposes.

I checked the features of the phone that I bought it for and they all worked. And as explained the "phone" (as in making and receiving voice calls) was not used or checked as it was not a reason I bought it for.

I made one "attempt" at selling/trading it after some frustrations in getting back into a BB device having had Apple devices for 5+ years and at that point had not one clue there was anything amiss with it at all. If I had I would have contacted the seller to ask for any help/guidance back then.....not 3 weeks later. Again I repeat I have no interest in selling anything that could be in the least bit suspect as taking that attitude will guarantee to bite you in the arse and muddy your name on said forum.....never worth it in my book.

I only enquired (not "complained") to the seller seeking some further history and/or help on the issues that only came to light the same day I first tried to use the phone side of the device.....the fact this was 3+ weeks after purchase was not something I could control given the facts I have stated here.

That is pretty much what your own summary is missing.

Thank you for taking the time to input (twice) and have a pleasant weekend.
    Look at the responses you've had...give up.

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    State the facts in H&V, let the other party respond.
    Try and do it as objectively and unemotionally as possible.
    If you are setting out for revenge first dig two graves.
    Have you bought or sold anything on SC?

Genuine question.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Genuine question.
    I think we all know the answer to that one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Genuine question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think we all know the answer to that one!
    Surprisingly only one entry in H&V back in Jan 2013, not watch related quelle surprise......

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Surprisingly there is one entry in H&V back in Jan 2013, not watch related quelle surprise......
    There, corrected that for you!

Craftsman
    a bit late to a party but have you tried factory reset? I'm a bit puzzled when you say "calls simply do not work" - whats the actual behaviour? when you go in to phone function, does it ring when you select the number or terminates after you hit call button? When you call sim card thats in the Q10 from another phone what happens? does it not ring? Is it logged on to the network?

I'm sorry but I just find it strange that you're describing highly unlikely problem (assuming you're correct that phone logs on the network so you can use texts and BBM etc).

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Hmm - just my opinion but mobile phones can play up at any time (think I have had many phones inc 3 iPhones that simply went bad over the years etc overnight and thats the hardware not software side).

Personally if I was buying anything electrical whether its a laptop, mobile, TV, DVD player etc I would give it a full test (even if new from the shop let alone second hand)

I don't doubt anybody's story here but think after a month of ownership its a bit of a tall order to expect anybody to refund any money. I would learn from this mistake and move on and in future test the damn thing as soon as received.
    I agree with this, as well as checking for software updates and trying factory resets etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    a bit late to a party but have you tried factory reset? I'm a bit puzzled when you say "calls simply do not work" - whats the actual behaviour? when you go in to phone function, does it ring when you select the number or terminates after you hit call button? When you call sim card thats in the Q10 from another phone what happens? does it not ring? Is it logged on to the network?

I'm sorry but I just find it strange that you're describing highly unlikely problem (assuming you're correct that phone logs on the network so you can use texts and BBM etc).

Ok, here's the issue.

If I call the BB Q10 it doesn't ring and after 6 (or so) seconds goes to voicemail. The device does not register a missed call after that.....I cannot get into voicemail i.e. I press the voicemail button and nothing happens at all when doing that....the call/function does nothing or "cancels" itself out it appears.

I go to make a call...so enter the number, press send and nothing happens at all...no call tone, no call, no keypad tone, nothing. It is logged to the Vodafone network and all the settings seem ok too.

Not tried a factory rest so perhaps you could let me know how one does that please? I also checked on line and it seems to be running the latest software update already.....

Thanks.