closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flights from London to LA - price fixing?

Flights from London to LA - price fixing?

I've just looked into some flights from LHR to LAX for a holiday later in the year.

I checked the price with Virgin and BA and was shocked to see the price was exactly the same.

£2067.30 for premium economy/world traveller plus and £1147.30 for explore economy/world traveller.

Is this just a coincidence or have BA & Virgin agreed to match prices with each other?

I'm not really grumbling about the cost, just more amazed/shocked that the price is identical.

I'll probably book with BA, as I've more success with getting upgraded with them. It's a shame Etihad don't fly into LAX from LHR.

Master
    This winds me up something rotten - coincidence ??

don't think so !

B

Banned
    Blog Entries

on a similar theme...

My better half and I are booked on a road trip around California organised by a company in the UK at Easter.

We're flying with American Airlines (eek), but I can't work out how the organisers get such cheap flights... the trip is only £1000 cheaper per couple if you arrange your own flights from LHR -> LAX yet the cheapest seats on the flights that we're on are £1826 return (per couple). How do they manage to get return flights to LA for two under £1k ??

TBH... I don't really care... holiday of a lifetime coming up in 17 sleeps

Try ex-Europe starting point, eg £327 return from OSL-SFO (traditional airlines trying to compete with upstart Norwegian). Mid August flight price when I looked at KAYAK a week ago. Add £100 for an LHR-OSL return and enjoy a Scandanvian capital for the day too.

Master
    We flew last Aug with BA-4 adults with a hotel in Anaheim £4300.
    I know norwegian airways fly there too
    http://www.norwegian.com/uk/?gclid=C...FTHItAodmTkAHA

Air New Zealand were the cheapest I could find for flights in March (About £500, no idea about the summer).

It was a thoroughly pleasant experience too.

I'm not surprised they're so similar. It's easy to check what the competition are charging and you need to be competitive, but with a few months notice (I assume) you're not going to be dumping tickets to fill seats.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    My better half and I are booked on a road trip around California organised by a company in the UK at Easter.

We're flying with American Airlines (eek), but I can't work out how the organisers get such cheap flights... the trip is only £1000 cheaper per couple if you arrange your own flights from LHR -> LAX yet the cheapest seats on the flights that we're on are £1826 return (per couple). How do they manage to get return flights to LA for two under £1k ??

TBH... I don't really care... holiday of a lifetime coming up in 17 sleeps
    Wait until you've been on the flight, you'll soon realise why they're cheap. My experiences of AA have been generally awful.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Air New Zealand were the cheapest I could find for flights in March (About £500, no idea about the summer).

It was a thoroughly pleasant experience too.

I'm not surprised they're so similar. It's easy to check what the competition are charging and you need to be competitive, but with a few months notice (I assume) you're not going to be dumping tickets to fill seats.

M.
    Air New Zealand are excellent and the lounge at LAX is very pleasant. I found their business cabin to be vastly superior to BA. They also have the Skybed thing in economy which I think is a great idea.

It may be that one airline is price matching the other rather than them both being in cahoots and price fixing. Like the supermarkets do.

For what its worth though, I usually find economy tickets to the west coast of the USA can be had for around £500 - what dates are you looking at?

Try momondo for flights. From experience its the best.

We found flights to LA on Delta via New York in August 2012 for £600 each

The flights/holiday isn't until November/December, so i appreciate that BA & virgin aren't trying to undercut each other this far in advance.

Just to be clear, the prices I quoted are for 2 adults - so £1033.65/£573.65 per adult. As I said, i'm not actually complaining about the cost of the flights.

I just got a quote from Air New Zealand... premium economy £2524.30 and economy saver £1332.30 (the space seat does look good though!)

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Try momondo for flights. From experience its the best.

We found flights to LA on Delta via New York in August 2012 for £600 each
    Things have moved on quickly. You'll struggle to find anything under £800 for August 2014, and direct flights are easily pushing a grand.

A bit of a thread resurrection...

I've just taken a look at the flights from LHR to LAX again, with a view to booking now I have some firm dates - and the price with BA and Virgin are still absolutely identical!

£1117.52. for 2 adults, flying economy.

Quote Originally Posted by ddw78 View Post
    - and the price with BA and Virgin are still absolutely identical!
    Is it Price Fixing (ie a conspiracy) or Price Matching (a common marketing technique)?

Master
    Check BA they have a sale on right now - just booked 4 adult retun flights to Orlando next July for £2600 direct

We flew that route yesterday with Virgin. Not so much a comment on flight pricing, as we used air miles to pay for the tickets. However what I would say is that 11/12 hours is a very long time to be in an economy seat.

We were awake for 24 hours once we'd got to our hotel in Long Beach, it makes it a very long day, and I was glad we had a far comfier seat and bed when I picked the car up drive to the hotel.

Have also noticed a Price cut on BA, saved almost £300 from the same flights as when I looked a week earlier