closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect weekend toy? AMG GULLWING

Perfect weekend toy? AMG GULLWING

Upcoming auction, one of the fabled 300SL Gullwings revisited by the folks at AMG

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1065953

It's absolutely shocking that some fool has put a set of AMG wheels on it. What on earth were they thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    It's is absolutely shocking that some fool has put a set of AMG wheels on it. What on earth were they thinking.
    Did you read the listing? It's a tad more than just wheels...

Master
    I think I'd prefer an original original and its lovely steering wheel

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Did you read the listing? It's a tad more than just wheels...
    I didn't. Sorry my eyes were hurting after the looking at the picture. I don't think I want to read it either. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I didn't. Sorry my eyes were hurting after the looking at the picture. I don't think I want to read it either. :-/
    Lol true, gutting an original will be seen by many as sacrilige. Then again, could be seen as best of both worlds.

Must admit, I would!

Thats a new one on me, very interesting.

I could have some fun in that.

I think that it's a shame, for two reasons.

Firstly, putting a "modern slant" on any iconic car is almost inevitably a mistake. It's like giving the Mona Lisa a boob job.

Secondly, at the price that this car is going to make, it's likely to end up in the climate-controlled garage of a speculator, and is unlikely to be driven, at least not in anger.

How many of us, given the financial wherewithal, would think "What I really need is a really beautiful, iconic, collectable, cast-iron investment car that's been got at by a tuning company". Be honest, it wouldn't be on too many shopping lists. It certainly wouldn't be on mine.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Blog Entries
    For me got to be in the top 5 classic cars to own nice very nice

The problem with modernised classics is that eventually all the mods cease to be modern and you're left with a classic that someone mended beyond repair.

And those wheels are hideous.

What a shame to see such a glorious period piece have its heart ripped out and replaced with something else altogether. I'm a big fan of AMG v8s but in modern cars, not this dear old girl. The wheels don't offend me but that steering wheel...

It will sell to someone with lots of money and poor taste.

Its not like they don't already make a modern AMG gullwing.

If the owner wanted modern, he should have bought modern, not killed a classic, and with all the R&D, crash protection etc, the newer car is probably the better all round vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    Its not like they don't already make a modern AMG gullwing.

If the owner wanted modern, he should have bought modern, not killed a classic, and with all the R&D, crash protection etc, the newer car is probably the better all round vehicle.
    Yes, I'm certain thats right. Some of the pleasure in these old things is in their dated quirkiness and his vehicle has had that all taken away.

Prepare for worse, fellas!

Here's the infamous one owned by a Japanese fashion designer, apparently it sits in his studio/office

I like that one as it saves the fashion designer wearing a badge that says 'knob' on it.

What have they done... that car is Grace Kelly. With a facial tattoo.

Something of iconic beauty. Defaced.

**shudder**

Most things benefit from improvement. The best need to remain original.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Nooooooo What's wrong with the original? IMO it's one of the most beautiful things humanity managed to produce..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Absolute sacrilege. Surely, the beauty of buying a classic car is that you're buying a piece of history - a 'snapshot' of times gone by, if you will. A huge and tasteless shame.

This is all very upsetting.

They could have escape most of the criticism if they'd stuck to some more period looking wheels, though I'm guessing it has beefy calipers under there that's preventing it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Absolute sacrilege. Surely, the beauty of buying a classic car is that you're buying a piece of history - a 'snapshot' of times gone by, if you will. A huge and tasteless shame.
    Bollocks to that. Its like a DB5. All show and no go. They were cutting edge back when dinosaurs and Burnsey roamed the earth but today a Golf R would spit them out without serious effort. May as well get the good bits (those gorgeous looks) and upgrade the steam age wobbly bits inside.

Quote Originally Posted by therossatron View Post
    They could have escape most of the criticism if they'd stuck to some more period looking wheels, though I'm guessing it has beefy calipers under there that's preventing it.
    Agreed.

For the money involved, I'm surprised a few sets of modernised/oversized Rudge knockoffs weren't whipped up, would have fitted the style so much better.

I wonder just how much value they've managed to remove by doing this. Why not just build a replica instead of ruining an original? The clunky wheels and the steering wheel just make it look like a replica anyhow.

Americans do this kinda thing to muscle cars (modern drivetrains in old cars), but they were built in huge numbers and aren't worth much, there were only 1400 Gullwing coupes, many less remain.
    Last edited by adigra; 10th April 2014 at 10:23.

I have seen the car in the metal and other than the wheels, you would struggle to know that AMG had done what they have done to it. If I am not mistaken, they had been asked to build one and the build cost was vast. Once news of the project got out, they were asked to build others. As for ruining a classic, I have mixed feelings - there are some horrid 300SLs still out there (barn finds) and using one of them for a base doesn't seem too bad an idea. I doubt anyone would take a mint Gullwing and convert it. Lastly, as many classic car owners find, the idea of one of this type of car is often far better than reality. If this means the car will be used and enjoyed, that isn't an entirely bad thing.

My favourite Gullwing story is one about a chap who lives in the Alps. He built a ramp to his livingroom and parks his car in the centre of it. On nice days he takes it out, drives it hard and then parks it back in the livingroom - he cracks a bottle of wine and enjoys a few glasses whilst listening to the car cool down and soaking in the smells of a warm classic car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Bollocks to that. Its like a DB5. All show and no go. They were cutting edge back when dinosaurs and Burnsey roamed the earth but today a Golf R would spit them out without serious effort. May as well get the good bits (those gorgeous looks) and upgrade the steam age wobbly bits inside.
    Oh, I see. So it's all about matching modern performance and being able to beat a Golf R. I never realised. Although you might want to tone down your opening salvo, as this is the G&D.

As someone who has a temperamental classic car I find the whole "the idea of one better than reality" thing pretty interesting. It depends on what that idea is. Pre '80's cars generally required user maintenance and regular servicing/upkeep, and at least some mechanical sympathy, combined with more skill and respect for the conditions. So, people who go into it thinking they can have the same carefree attitude as with modern cars will be hugely disappointed. On the other hand, those who see old machines for what they are, and enjoy the challenges and rewards they offer, understand that the effort required to run them properly is what makes them special in the first place.

My modern car is about as fast as my classic, but it also requires you to go beyond legal limits to get even a little thrill out of it, while in my '60s car every journey is special, even when crawling in traffic.

I suppose it's really not too different from having a vastly superior solar/atomic watch on your wrist compared to a beautiful automatic which is vastly costlier to buy and service, but provides much more joy due to its archaic nature.

Master
    The wheels look awful - other than that I have no objection to modifying classic cars.

Master
    I'd be very surprised if that makes anywhere near its estimate. Those wheels are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    The wheels look awful - other than that I have no objection to modifying classic cars.
    Having driven many 'classic' cars, I totally agree. They are generally totally under-whelming and no real pleasure to drive. Much nicer to look at!

They've done an amazing job converting it, although they could've been a bit more sympathetic with the choice of wheels. However, the size of the new brake discs/calipers will dictate this to some extent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddw78 View Post
    Having driven many 'classic' cars, I totally agree. They are generally totally under-whelming and no real pleasure to drive. Much nicer to look at!

They've done an amazing job converting it, although they could've been a bit more sympathetic with the choice of wheels. However, the size of the new brake discs/calipers will dictate this to some extent.
    The steering wheel is horrible, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    The steering wheel is horrible, too!
    Yeah, it is - I'm sure AMG/Mercedes were governed to fit a 'wheel' with an airbag. At least the wood, kind of, matches the trim...

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It's like giving the Mona Lisa a boob job.
    This.

Master
    I like the idea of a modern engine and drivetrain, but if you throw endless amount of money at it, it really needs a period-like set of wheels and steering wheel.
    Not sure about those plastic buttons either...

From collectors point of view...one less classic Gullwing out there

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    As someone who has a temperamental classic car I find the whole "the idea of one better than reality" thing pretty interesting. It depends on what that idea is. Pre '80's cars generally required user maintenance and regular servicing/upkeep, and at least some mechanical sympathy, combined with more skill and respect for the conditions. So, people who go into it thinking they can have the same carefree attitude as with modern cars will be hugely disappointed. On the other hand, those who see old machines for what they are, and enjoy the challenges and rewards they offer, understand that the effort required to run them properly is what makes them special in the first place.

My modern car is about as fast as my classic, but it also requires you to go beyond legal limits to get even a little thrill out of it, while in my '60s car every journey is special, even when crawling in traffic.

I suppose it's really not too different from having a vastly superior solar/atomic watch on your wrist compared to a beautiful automatic which is vastly costlier to buy and service, but provides much more joy due to its archaic nature.
    "One of only 11 examples built"

So, there's 10 more of these beasts out there.

I remember agonising over the decision to replace the generator with a more modern alternator on my '67 Alfa. I was tired of draining the battery when driving with the lights on. Much better now. Other than that I've kept original, even resisting the temptation to replace the points with electronic ignition (plus it's fun to fiddle with the points every now and again).

Quote Originally Posted by BDStevens View Post
    I think I'd prefer an original original and its lovely steering wheel
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C473610

Can I come for a spin when it's delivered?

Disappointed that no-one's Photoshopped the Mona-Lisa Boob-job!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Banned
    Oh, I see. So it's all about matching modern performance and being able to beat a Golf R. I never realised. Although you might want to tone down your opening salvo, as this is the G&D.
    You might want to spend a million dollars on a car that drives like a pig for the authentic feel but not everybody wants something thats not very good to drive or own. The fact is that what is good about this is the looks. What's happening here is they are keeping the Keira Knightly shell and ditching the Maria Miller innards. You might prefer it different so feel free to buy one of those.

Likewise. feel free to live without hot and cold running water or GCH in your 17th century manor house but excuse me while I activate the heating, lights and run a bath from the car on the way in at mine.

Grand Master
    Just as a Golf in 40 years time will still be a hopped up shopping car in a skip somewhere and will never look good from any angle, no matter how fast it can go from nought to sixty in a dead straight line. Whereas a DB 5 will always be shaped like a DB 5. As long as it drives ok (and perhaps has better brakes than it did when new - kinetic energy is as kinetic energy does) that's all it needs.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Just as a Golf in 40 years time will still be a hopped up shopping car in a skip somewhere and will never look good from any angle, no matter how fast it can go from nought to sixty in a dead straight line. Whereas a DB 5 will always be shaped like a DB 5. As long as it drives ok (and perhaps has better brakes than it did when new - kinetic energy is as kinetic energy does) that's all it needs.
    You're wasting your time, Andrew. Josh is currently busy ripping the movement from his Rolex Double Red and replacing it with a solar G-Shock movement. Much better accuracy!

Banned
    You're wasting your time, Andrew. Josh is currently busy ripping the movement from his Rolex Double Red and replacing it with a solar G-Shock movement. Much better accuracy!
    I was waiting for somebody to raise that argument. If I actually depended on my watch for accurate timekeeping dead right that is what would be happening. Meanwhile I shall content myself with sticking diamonds onto it to make it look nicer.

As a classic car owner several times over, I'm against what AMG has done here. Nothing they have attempted has improved the car in any way whatsoever.

Anyone who thinks or says otherwise knows nothing about classic cars at all. One of the key factors that made the 300SL in the first place was the straight-six fuel injected engine. To take that out and replace it with something else just hollows out any intrinsic value the car had before.

The SLS AMG is a great car and they should have left it there.

Not in the same league I know, but I did a similar thing with a 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback (another iconic car?).....

Modern EFI fuel injected Mustang V8 engine, 5 speed manual gearbox, rack & pinion power steering, modern air-con, modern 4 piston power disk brakes, fully adjustable coil over shock suspension...etc, and loads more

Everything was new, apart from the bodyshell. I spent a fortune on it, thinking it might drive like a new car.
    It turned out very well, and I kept it for 4 years. then I traded it in for a new Mustang Boss 302 for weekend fun.

That's lovely, Jim, and in the case of something like the Mustang (other US muscle cars are available), makes a lot of sense. Mass-produced cars are a different proposition to something which was only produced in very limited numbers.

But in the case of the Gullwing, given its' scarcity and value, leave well alone. Even if it's a barn find, it should be restored to its' original state and specification.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    I take it nobody likes singer Porsches either?

Grand Master
    I was waiting for somebody to raise that argument. If I actually depended on my watch for accurate timekeeping dead right that is what would be happening. Meanwhile I shall content myself with sticking diamonds onto it to make it look nicer.
    Aye. And that's why people buy Astons in the first place - to get from A to B REALLY accurately.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by duffy78 View Post
    I take it nobody likes singer Porsches either?
    When I win the lottery one of my first calls will be to Singer. But the ubiquity of the 911 makes the Singer approach (other Porsche enhancers are available) absolutely right. The scarcity of the Mercedes Gullwing makes this particular AMG exercise a travesty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Aye. And that's why people buy Astons in the first place - to get from A to B REALLY accurately.
    No. Some rich gits like to possess them. Like art, wine and watches etc etc. stuff is hoarded like some latter day pirate treasure but not enjoyed. That all seems a bit of a waste to me.

and some people buy wonderful things to enjoy them. And if they wish to increase their enjoyment then its their money whatever the curmudgeon purists might think.

Master
    I'm absolutely fine with modified classics and the Singer Porsche's etc but this is just wrong. Maybe if it were based on the SLR McLaren or even the new SLS it would be perhaps more palatable, but this is a rare £1m classic, bastardised with parts from various vanilla AMG's which can be had these days for under £10k and were never considered to be great cars even when new. I think the estimate is very optimistic...

Edit: JoshB mentioned that a Golf R would hand the classic Merc its arse. I'd wager that a Golf R would also do the same to this one.
    Last edited by Dynam0humm; 11th April 2014 at 01:40.

So, the opinion of the TZ-UK internet massif is AMG/Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves.

LOL.

EDIT: I bet it makes beyond estimate. Being one of eleven cars from a famous name will make this a prime buy for many new money collectors. Let's see!!!
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 11th April 2014 at 06:26.