closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Epray victim, amazing what can be done, smokerama related

Craftsman

Epray victim, amazing what can be done, smokerama related

Dont know what to say really, am truly amazed at this.

Shamefull fact I am a smoker. I also sort of collect Dupont lighters and have over 20 in my little collection....collected over the years, mostly found at auction houses in the UK where Dupont is not really that well known and so purchased by little money.

Sally my wife has purchased my last one last Christmas....cost over 500 euros from a AD and the silver one on the pics.

Had an hitch for a new one so browsed ebay for a new one, and seller sadaart with some 580 fbacks, not all good, had what was described as an original Dupont french made bla bla bla, bought it for peanuts.

Package arrived today....ok....apart from the real thing, never ever seen anything as good. EVER.
    Outer box is an exact copy, a little too orange as is the gold applied name...too yellow....but I have 15 other boxes to compare with....quality is there...literature is poor photocopy but more then acceptable, in fact, if I had never seen diferent would have no reason to believe it was a fake.

The lighter itself.....same weight as the real thing bar 2 grams....nothing considering one is steel the other g.p over brass, exact same size, exact same measures everywhere. True, the gold is a tad too yellow but again , only because I have other 10 g.p. to compare with.
    Give away signs are the flint holder that is not as flush as the real thing (but this varies on all my other ones) the gas cap has no colour code for what refill to use (used a normal ronson refiller that worked perfectly so big savings there) and of course, the laque de chine inprint that....well there is no laque de chine on this lighter although with the right model this would also be perfect. In fact, my wife had to be shown the 'faults' as she genuinely believed it was real. Even the carismatyic pling when it opens or closes is there and 90% Dupont....

So....how can this be done? Cost was about £35, by any means, people who can make a fake like this should have their own lighter business and brand (way better built then my Rollagas and even the vintage Cartier I have).

Have of course emailed the seller to congratulate him on the very best copy I have ever seen of anything, of course no reply ...course of action?

Problem is, with cost in mind, I am really not bothered about keeping it or not as it is great to go to the beach type lighter, if it gets nicked, matters not, but the priciple of it all....what you guys think?

Some pics:

Bythe way, I also do not like copies or fakes, but am again fascinated with so much quality for so little dosh.

And lastly, what to do with the seller?

Cheers, Snoopy

Report the seller to ebay for selling fakes and if you want to, go through Paypal for a refund.

I know you are not too bothered and the price was cheap but ebay is full of fake gear which shouldn't be condoned. :?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Yeh, if the seller was genuinely trying to pull the wool over you eyes then he needs to be reported. As to whether to get a refund, well only you know whether you would rather have the lighter or the £35.

Personally im not into counterfeits, mainly because I dont agree with it but also to avoid the embarrasment of someone spotting it and picking you up on it!

Ed

Report him. Period!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

he has sold some more for a lot more than £35

shop him, he is clearly out for a quick £

It is a real pain trying to sort out fake items on ebay, so I am not sure I would bother too much. I am anti-fake in a big way and in theory he should be reported etc etc.......But: I returned a fake Montblanc pen, cost me postage (both ways), waited for ages for a refund (which I got), and was told by the seller that if I left him a negative he would do the same to me. Pain in the ass, the whole thing.

I felt better without the fake, I suspect you would too - but you'll feel a lot better without the fags :) , not easy I know but worth it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711
    It is a real pain trying to sort out fake items on ebay, so I am not sure I would bother too much. I am anti-fake in a big way and in theory he should be reported etc etc.......But: I returned a fake Montblanc pen, cost me postage (both ways), waited for ages for a refund (which I got), and was told by the seller that if I left him a negative he would do the same to me. Pain in the ass, the whole thing.

I felt better without the fake, I suspect you would too - but you'll feel a lot better without the fags :) , not easy I know but worth it.
    :D :D :D

Gerry, I know you are right...about the fags I mean, however, I do believe you are either a smoker, or are not. Sadly, my mother smoked wile pregnant with me, as a couple they smoked around me and my brother when we were young, inside car, at home etc....I believe nicotine has been a part of me since I was not even around...sad but true....all this of course happened before fags were considered bad for you....I do beleive now its a little too late...and my father died of cancer.....lets not go there...

Montblanc....I was lucky, I bought one of a uk seller, 100% genuine of course, got stoped at customs here in Spain as it was coming from Hong Kong and they inspect all stuff from there, it was a fake, they confiscated it and would not release it...it would be destroyed, got a letter from them stating this, scanned it onto to paypal, still took paypal 5 weeks and a threatening email from me stating I would sell this story on ebay if they did not pay up (they paid 3 hours later :D ), by then seller was not registered anyway.....so no postage charges for me....
    Will send item back, make a claim, and will of course be left neg. I do not sell anything on that account so....will go private and see what happens. Right now paypal wont even let me in, site down aparently so.... :evil:
    Thanks, Snoopy

Blog Entries
    Report the guy,it does not matter how good it is its a fraud and a F'in con.

If at the resolve you get to keep the lighter its good for the bar,if it gets nicked Ho Hum.When i smoked i used the throwaways and the decent kit i left at home :shock: come to think of it a bit like watches :D

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    Report the guy,it does not matter how good it is its a fraud and a F'in con.

If at the resolve you get to keep the lighter its good for the bar,if it gets nicked Ho Hum.When i smoked i used the throwaways and the decent kit i left at home :shock: come to think of it a bit like watches :D

Martin
    Martin, I have reported him, as per usuall, ebay are good at doing little.....the guy has got 2 others finishing tomorrow so I guess no replies till they finish.....hehehe, he has 10 minutes till neg and as soon as paypal site is back on a claim...I wonder if I should send him back the lighter or just the empty box? :D :D :D
    I agree, good for the bar type thing....same as with some watches, problem is I like to show off the good stuff

Snoopy

It's no secret that I am a smoker and I've looked at these, thinking that there's no way that these could be real at the price. I have an original Dunhill but my favourite lighters were a couple of Flaminaires, both of which were stolen (pub tables whilst visiting the gents).

I would be happy to accept the lighter you bought if it didn't present itself as an original Dupont.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    It's no secret that I am a smoker and I've looked at these, thinking that there's no way that these could be real at the price. I have an original Dunhill but my favourite lighters were a couple of Flaminaires, both of which were stolen (pub tables whilst visiting the gents).

I would be happy to accept the lighter you bought if it didn't present itself as an original Dupont.

Eddie
    Flaminaires.....one day I will have one, hopefully real and working.
    Yes Eddie, that was my point exactly, such great quality for that money should be on a shelve somewhere called something diferent....but we want Dupont's or Dunhills for a reason or two....

Have since neg the guy, opened a paypal dispute, reported him to ebay. And mailed him a couple of times. No response from anyone :( strange thing is, he has left feedback for others after all this (but not for me) so is aware of what is going on....no responses...strange, we shall see what the next few days bring.

Snoopy

Master
    I'd be happy with the quality of the lighter for £35 but only if it wasn't a copy.
    I've seen them on eBay but I prefer old petrol Ronsons.

I did try giving up the fags a month ago. I enjoy smoking far too much though :cry:

here's a bunch of old ronsons and colibri lighters destined for eprey, no use for them since i stopped with the fags
    there's a load more somewhere in the house- it'll be a bugger to find them though

john :P

Master
    You did the right thing reporting him. On the fags, I smoked for 4 years when my first marriage split. Hated every minue of it and finally quit. Then I met my new wife who smokes. I started again, but very little really, until we moved back to the UK. I guess the stress got to me. I swore if I ever had to start smoking rollies I'd give it up 'cause I didn't have the patience for it. Now I smoke so many of them that I can't sleep at night for coughing! Feckin' fags!!

I heard the other day that the NHS is about to approve a new stop smoking drug. Should be in the clinics by July. As soon as it's there, I'm there too. I've really had it with this shite! :evil:

I tried stopping again last month, using the patches. I managed 4 days.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Eddie
    Yeah, I know it's gonna take more than the drug. I'm going to have to really WANT to. I've essentially had bronchitas and chest infections for a year, so I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm also used to being very fit, and while I may still look it, I'm not. At this point, I know I'm essentially killing myself smoking and I'm sure I'm not doing my son any good. That's my motivation, but I also know I need some help. This new drug is the best thing I've heard of in a while. Maybe if I quit, my wife will. That'd be good too :)

Cheers,
    Bruce

Apprentice
    Ah after 20 + years I can still taste a cig. but have no desire to smoke.
    Although I do miss the comfort of a lighter in my pocket? Strange we humans!!!!

Tom :D :D

i packed in with the fags about a year ago, i was becoming short of breath, it turned out that i had asthma and thought it was cigs, for some strange reason, going without cigs hasn't bothered one bit, i used to smoke 40/50 per day :shock: ,the one problem is that, over christmas i put a stone and half on and it won't go, i'm getting to be one fat sob, 15 stones now and none of my clothes fit :roll: :roll:

STILL, i think it's better than smoking all them fags :wink:

john :P

Master

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,
    The patches do help but if you enjoy smoking, why give up?
    That was the question I kept asking myself and I really do enjoy it.
    I've been smoking since 1981 when I was 13/14 years old and fags were cheap!
    My Grandmother smoked nearly all of her life and died 85 years old.
    A mate of mine's Great Grandfather died lighting up a fag....he was 97!
    My Dad's best friend died at 67 and he'd never smoked in his life despite the fact that lung cancer killed him.
    It's all down to fate,IMHO

No secret I smoke, been smoking Lucky Strike Unfiltered since I was 12-13, and Cigars since I was about 5?and, I am not going to quit.

Moreover, there is no need to be ashamed of smoking. WE ARE NOT SECOND CLASS CITIZENS. Amazing thing is, when I light up a Lucky, people complain, yet the same people applaud when I light up a Cuban Cigar.

If you paid via PayPal, then click on the link at the bottom of the page, or this link.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... &trans_id=

You will get a refund, and your seller will get an auto report to eBay as well. I would report him to eBay as well.

Stealing is stealing, and although 35GBP may not be much, it is still the principle.

John

I too tried them patches, didn't work though, couldn't light the buggers!!

CD

Craftsman
    I managed to quit summer 2003, using nicotine silicone stuff you stuck on your skin (=patches?). Had previously tried inhalators and nico-chewing-gum with no success. It was a period of purgatory, but I managed. My wife deserves a medal for NOT throwing me out despite my bad temper and mood.

I bought a PRS3 when I got past one month of not smoking. Since then I have another bad habit thats costing me more but I feel healthier. :twisted:

I miss the cigars. :evil:
    Will not try one, afraid I might fall back into old patterns. :evil:

For those who try to quit: it'll be hell for a period, but it's for the better in the long run.

rgds,
    /joakim

27 years of age and yet:

Cigars.....

Only good ones and on the proper occasion: after dinner.

I still like the odor, so I won;t be quitting.

For those of you who miss the cigars! I am enjoying one right now for you!

John

Are Cuban cigars legal in the US?

subject

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Are Cuban cigars legal in the US?
    :lol: :lol:

Frank

Cuban Cigars? I do not see any Cuban cigars!

Journeyman
    I used to smoke pack to pack 1/2 a day since I was 14. Just decided one day to quit. It's a bitch but I believe mind over matter. The first week is the toughest as your body goes through nicotine withdrawal. After a week or so..it's all in the mind. I was an ass to all the first few weeks and my friends who smoked showed me no mercy. Hardest was at a pub with a pint in one had and nothing in the other. I also enjoyed a good lighter in my hand too. Haven't smoked in years and I can tell all I am the better for it.

The excuse people use who say my great granny smoked till 95 and was fine and my neighbor died of lung cancer who never smoked at 45 so why should I quit is bullshit!

My buddy is a geneticist and he explained the rule of three.

1. 1/3 people can smoke and never get cancer.
    2. 1/3 people if they smoke will get cancer and if they don't won't.
    3. 1/3 people who get cancer regardless of if they never smoked .

Since no one knows which group they are in, the only smart choice is not to.

Not preaching, I know how hard it is to quit. Good luck to all who try.

And Vargas..You are a second class citizen!! :lol: SF= smoking fool! :wink:

Well David...

If I am a 2nd Class Citizen...

Your 5th Class, you are a used car dealer lot owner!! LOL

I don't think they even let you into certian countries!!!!! LOL

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    Well David...

If I am a 2nd Class Citizen...

Your 5th Class, you are a used car dealer lot owner!! LOL

I don't think they even let you into certian countries!!!!! LOL
    Ahh My friend you are wrong. I am welcome in all countrys that support free trade with little consideration for consumers rights. I take great offence to your suggestion that we "used car lot owners" are treated as lowley surfs with bad breath. We are merly a misunderstood lot. It was our great forbearer, a used horse broker back in ancient times who muttered "Caviot emptor", our creed and motto and we stive to live up to this.

I also prefer to be called a Pre-owned vehicle sales facilitator if you don't mind! :wink:

I stand corrected...then it is to your kind that we owe the expression Caveat Emptor!

We are in deep debt to you!

John

Craftsman
    Well, got a mail from nopal stating that I MIGHT be entiteled to a refund, but to send item back blablabla, seller defended his corner stating item not a fake.....no word from epay.....I like the MIGHT bit a lot, it inspires confidence when you are supposed to send item back and still have no money back. And I am not the one selling the dodgy stuff.....shall wait and see what heppens, lighter and all in post today, cheers, Snoopy

Hey Snoopy,

As long as you sent it with delivery confirmation, you will get all your monmey back.

Best of luck to you.

john