closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: thinking of a rolex

Master

thinking of a rolex

they have been growing on my lately - narrowed it down to 4 models: Explorer II, 14060 no date sub, explorer or 1016 explorer. I want some thing that I can just wear, so the 1016 might not be a good plan. Also thinking of the tudor black bay? Always liked sea dwellers, but they are just too much for my wrist. What do you think? Right now I wear a seiko 6309 (bought new in tokyo in the Marines), IWC XII and an O&W M something smaller sub style.

Can't go wrong with Rolex... ;)

If you have the budget, I would take the 1016. A damn good looking vintage.

You can perfect wear it every day, no reason why you wouldn't wear it for daily use. Just give it a good service over time... I have a Datejust from the mid fifties and I wear it also without troubles.

The movements made by Rolex are strong... Even the ones made many years ago.

Good luck with your choice!!

Best! Glenn

There's an explorer II on SC at the moment which looks a good buy.
    It's funny how peoples perceptions differ though; I love my seadweller but find my 42mm subs (glycine and Aramar) too big.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There's an explorer II on SC at the moment which looks a good buy.
    It's funny how peoples perceptions differ though; I love my seadweller but find my 42mm subs (glycine and Aramar) too big.
    for me it is the "bulk" of the sea dweller, if I do not ratchet the bracelet to the point of almost too tight the watch seems to float a bit on my girl scout sized wrist and bug the cr@p out of me.

After all I am a sensitive flower

Master
    Personally I'd go with the Explorer a year or two back I'd have said the 1016 but unless it's also to be a investment I say the current version is a better choice for everyday wear, though that said I can't see you going wrong with any of that four.

Of those four I'd go for a 14060 then the explorer 2. Can't go wrong with a sub and non date is a classic. Explorer 2's are a nice watch but like anything you've got to buy at the right price.

Master
    I like the look of the explorer 2, but I tend to use the bezel a bit. I found a nice 1016 for about $5,800 (US), then I think for the same amount of money I could get a seiko marinemaster and a speedmaster?

Journeyman
    If first Rolex them propably Sub is the best choice. It is a classic and most versatile sports watch three is and you can easy get rid of it if you don't like it. Exp2 is also nice but maybe as a second Rolex.

Master
    Another vote for the 1016, I'm currently hunting one myself having picked up it's younger brother a few weeks ago

Explorer 11 from your list , but have you seen the new Milguass .....wow

Master

decided on this one

came with box and papers, been spot on time wise and a great size for my small wrists

Craftsman
    Everybody has a sub - I think an Explorer is a better choise.

Have you considered a Yachtmaster - I like the two-tone with blue dial, but also the platinum one with blue dial (AND blue luminova ! ! ! ) is a real eyecatcher.

Personally I bought the two-tone. Wait a minute - I will post it here ;)

Craftsman
    Here's mine !
    This is a type you don't see so often. Very nice dial - in the sunlight it is really sparkling !

Grand Master
    Classic now and more so the future.

14060 ;)

edit - just noticed that you made a decision already. Nevermind!

You can get a mm300 AND used previous generation exp II (low 3k range) for less than that amount.

FWIW, I recently bought my first Rolex, a 16570 exp II, and to be honest, it is a bit underwhelming in that the quality did not blow my mind. That being said, I do like the way the bezel works with the white dial. And as far as "complex" Rolexs go, it is a good value. Once you get used to a proper GMT function, it will be hard to go back to the ETA versions.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    I like the look of the explorer 2, but I tend to use the bezel a bit. I found a nice 1016 for about $5,800 (US), then I think for the same amount of money I could get a seiko marinemaster and a speedmaster?
    Last edited by lenny; 12th April 2014 at 15:17.

Craftsman
    the explorer II is lovely, that's coming from someone with a SD and an LV so I have enough black face divers - though i must admit i was thinking of a 14060 a few years ago... there's a lot to be said for the clean face of the 2 line subs

I have a white dialled 40mm Exp II on SC at the moment!

Master

Next watch

will probably be a 14060, the simple look is great. I am also drawn to a rolex precision.

Nice choice. I tried on a no-date sub and an explorer 2 last year. The explorer 2 felt really light and comfortable on my weeny wrists.