• SKX007 only

25 50.00%
  • Both - interchangeable

9 18.00%
  • Both - but each for a specific purpose

7 14.00%

Thread: G-SHOCK and / or SKX007

G-SHOCK and / or SKX007

On the back of the cheaper holiday watches thread I thought I would ask about preference for either a G-SHOCK or SKX007.

My mini-collection consists of a DateJust for formal/suit occasions, a SubDate for smart casual occasions, and a G-SHOCK GW-M5610-1ER as a 'beater' for exercise, outdoors, gardening, etc.

I've also just added an SKX007 as a 'holiday' watch. My rationale was that the G-SHOCK is IMO quite hard to read underwater, and the SKX007 on bracelet is a bit more versatile for other holiday activities (restaurtants etc.) than a black plastic watch, without being so expensive that I need to worry about damaging it or wearing it in unfamiliar parts of the world.

Part of me does think that I have invented a reason to buy another watch and that the G-SHOCK would have been fine on holiday, or the SKX would be fine as a general beater.

Would be interested in other people's rationale for having both, or one over the other.

Banned
    I take a GShock because of the alarm function.

I don't want to miss my flight home and don't trust them foreign types.

Master
    I'd have both.

Neither of them has the bling factor so they wouldn't draw any unnecessary attention.
    It's true, a G-Shock is the better choice if you want only one but if the holiday involves swimming, I'd wear the Seiko in that case.

I have a G and an 007 that went me on some holidays. I prefer an analog dial, gives me a better feel for time plus a NATO is great for hot weather.

I'd have a G for swimming, one major benefit is the low weight on the wrist (unless it's a screwback or atomic Frog), plus a chunky diver with a coupla NATOs (one loud, one tasteful) for evening wear. Seiko a good shout, but something like a CWC or PRS quartz divers would be a good call. Or maybes a Steinhart depending on the resort if you wanna do the Rolex homage thing...

I have both, but the G is the one that gets the nod.
    Simply it does more....radio controlled, solar, world time etc.

SKX007 purely for better readability .

The 007, every time.

The G has its place and I don't think it could be disputed is the "better" thing to have if you want to tell the time, but the 007 is above all that fancy nonsense the G can do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    SKX007 purely for better readability .
    All of the above is correct - both watches have their pros and cons. But when you're wearing glasses - like me, the 007 is easier to read than the digital G-Shock, especially at night. There are also analog G-Shocks, off course! I have not experience with the readability of that model.

M.

G shock for days, SKX007 for day trips and nights......simples!!!

Except for the alarm the 007 is a far better proposition as a go anywhere watch IMO.

if funds were very tight i'd say just have one, personally i'd choose the g shock but i'm sure the seiko is a good beater too, if you're not going to miss the money then they;re both cheaper watches, if you like them both i don't see why you wouldn't have both

voted both interchangeable

Journeyman
    I have G-shock GW-M5600 and I think it the best beater watch in the world! It can take anything and more. :)

Voted for SKX only, as it is more general purpose watch and can be used for going to dinners and more formal occasions. The G shocks are great but do not look that good on such occasions and personally I prefer not to take more than the watch I'm wearing when I go on holidays.

Is it for you or one of your children?
    If for the kids go with the crappy plastic thing.
    If for you go with the watch, you know the proper steel one with a movement.
    If you need an alarm use your damn phone.
    Gray

SKX007 with 3 or 4 natos and it is the perfect holiday watch. I use one as a beater and a holiday watch and it does everything I need.

Master
    The SK007 coz I like it more :-)

Really a matter of personal taste. I think the skx007 looks sexy. G shocks imho look either a bit nerdy or stealthy depending on your point of view

Without doubt the 007

SKX007. Much classier than a G-Shock.

Both

I'd take both.

i always bring my G-Shock 5600, I need the alarm to wake me up in the morning & either my CWC quartz diver or 14060m for the rest of the day/ night.

The 007 would be great!

Grand Master
    The G-Shock is a great one no doubt,but I would replace the Seiko with the watch I took on hol.

PRS-82 ;)

Seiko is good too.

Craftsman
    G Shock is ideal but with the steel/resin bracelet.

Journeyman
    I went through this same question and chose the 007. It returned with sand in the bezel and a bit too much scritching on the bracelet. Now I choose a G-Shock without hesitation. The extra functions such as alarms and timers can often come in useful. The G-Shock will make you look less like a tourist IMO.

Also, in certain places I would think that the 007 will be more likely to be stolen as it looks more like an expensive valuable watch.

Quote Originally Posted by conger View Post
    I went through this same question and chose the 007. It returned with sand in the bezel and a bit too much scritching on the bracelet. Now I choose a G-Shock without hesitation. The extra functions such as alarms and timers can often come in useful. The G-Shock will make you look less like a tourist IMO.

Also, in certain places I would think that the 007 will be more likely to be stolen as it looks more like an expensive valuable watch.
    I think these are good points.

In addition I do find the SKX007 on jubilee quite top heavy and hard to keep still on the wrist.

While I'm clearly in a minority, the SKX007 is helping me to appreciate the G-SHOCK even more.

Master
    I think you need both. Personally, I prefer a Monster to the SKX, but that's a purely personal thing. For me, the OM is the ideal holiday watch. I would also take something a tad more dressy for evenings out.