closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you prefer....

Would you prefer....

To drive £60k or wear it on your wrist?

It's a no brainer for me, drive a VW Polo and wear a significant watch. On an economics front a sensible watch purchase is very safe money, a car isn't. Assuming you have no issues with the size of your manhood, why would you choose the car?

edit..several watches is ok, new or secondhand.
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 2nd May 2014 at 10:19. Reason: Should have thought this through better

Journeyman
    Since i don't need or want to own a car in the foreseeable future (rental car once in a while is more than enough), i'd definitely go for the watch!

Edit: I haven't been in the WIS-game long enough to get a good overview over that price-range. But being German, i quite like the A Lange & Soehne offers...the Langematik looks especially fantastic. So that'd be my spontaneous choce :)
    Last edited by christopher_p; 1st May 2014 at 21:06.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher_p View Post
    Since i don't need or want to own a car in the foreseeable future (rental car once in a while is more than enough), i'd definitely go for the watch! :)
    I should have said,as I hope this will turn into an interesting watch thread....which watch?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't see how they are related. A car is something I transport my family around. I prefer that they enjoy a degree of comfort and safety afforded by a good car. A watch is something I buy for my pleasure, I don't actually need any of my watches and no one else depends on them. True a watch will hold is value much better.

If I was so financially constrained that the purchase of either one would impinge upon the other. I would have to buy the car.

Edit
    If I was single and didn't have a family, the car wouldn't get a look in.
    Last edited by java; 1st May 2014 at 21:12.

Banned
    I see what your saying, but I don't like cars never have thats why I drive boring ones that work with the minimal amount of effort from me. Like my guns I am not bothered about a purdy stock or extra engraving or paying a fortune for a better stock, I buy open the box and use it.

A watch wins every time, a watch is personal.

Blog Entries
    Well I drove an Almere tino (the worlds ugliest car?) which I sold for £400....

I drove the car wearing a £5.7k Panerai!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Well I drove an Almere tino (the worlds ugliest car?) which I sold for £400....

I drove the car wearing a £5.7k Panerai!!!
    Isnt the worlds ugliest car a Hyundai Matrix? I like your style though.

Which 60k watch are you talking about? If it's a Hublot then you may be making a mistake;)

Master
    does it have to be one watch? a lot of interesting stuff in the 20-40k range, but can't think of anything at 60k.

Definitely watch(es), for the simple reason that I can wear and enjoy them every day but don't get much time at the moment to enjoy cars.

Half and half really - I enjoy cars and driving, go to Le Mans 24/Classic LM every time it's run, Goodwood Revival/FofS and may other events. But yes, it is painful how cars depreciate compared to watches, although a new 60k watch would probably depreciate by the same amount after a year as a new 60k car...

I remember wanting a car in 2000. I narrowed my choices down to a brand new TVR Tuscan 4.0 and and Aston Martin DB5. I picked the TVR. Had I picked the Aston and kept it, my life would actually be quite different now, but I was young and stupid and had no way of knowing!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Half and half really - I enjoy cars and driving, go to Le Mans 24/Classic LM every time it's run, Goodwood Revival/FofS and may other events. But yes, it is painful how cars depreciate compared to watches, although a new 60k watch would probably depreciate by the same amount after a year as a new 60k car...

I remember wanting a car in 2000. I narrowed my choices down to a brand new TVR Tuscan 4.0 and and Aston Martin DB5. I picked the TVR. Had I picked the Aston and kept it, my life would actually be quite different now, but I was young and stupid and had no way of knowing!
    Has the DB5 gone up in value since then? If not, how would your life be different for choosing it over the TVR?

To answer the OP, I would definitely choose the watch over the car. A watch at £60k is really amazing but the car just goes faster etc. dull, dull, dull.

PS. I drove a VW UP! wearing a Patek Aquanaut costing more than the car, so that probably proves my intent!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Has the DB5 gone up in value since then? If not, how would your life be different for choosing it over the TVR?
    The 45k DB5 I was looking at in 2014 would now be worth up to 500k and rising very, very fast.

The TVR I sold for 32 grand 18 months later (bought at 52k) after it had it's third engine installed under warranty...

I would definatley prefer to drive it than wear it.

Master
    Since this is a fantasy scenario, I'll assume I'm rich enough not to need the £60k back at any point, and take the car. Expensive watches are all very well, but they don't do anything much quantifiably better beyond a certain point, they're just rarer, hand crafted, made out of expensive materials, and so on.

The feeling of driving an exquisitely made sports car is just much more visceral and exciting compared to sitting there thinking about how expensive your watch is. The two don't really compare as experiences. And I'm willing to believe that a £60k car is noticeably different to a £15k car. But is a £60k watch much more beautiful than a £15k watch? The difference is mainly in your head.

If investment and depreciation is a factor, then sure the watch wins hands down (well, usually). But much as I love watches, going for 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds puts a smile on my face in another way altogether. I'm glad I don't have to choose. I'll take a decent car, a fast bike, a beautiful watch, and £45k in change thank you very much.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 1st May 2014 at 22:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carlt69 View Post
    I would definatley prefer to drive it than wear it.
    This +1. But assuming I can keep my current watches.

If that's the case and I had an extra 60k that had to be spent on watches or cars - for me it'd go on a car.

I would go with the watch. Cars don't mean an awful lot to me so as long as it gets me from A to Z then in all honesty I am not that bothered. Having a family probably helps with that decision too. 60K car with child seats, shopping bags and general children's mess probably wouldn't look cool anyway.

Car. Easy for me I'm afraid...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    I'd rather drive the £60k than wear it. Far more fun to be had. Based of course, on the assumption that you got the right car ;)

I'd guess my perspective is tainted a little by what I currently wear on my wrist and what I currently drive.
    My watch collection has values mostly between a grand up to £3k, and my car is worth somewhere in the middle, so.....60k on a car makes the driving experience from A to B a whole lot more tangible than squinting down at my wrist to read the time on a bespoke watch, imho. Poorly expressed I know!

Craftsman
    When you're dropping 60k I'd dare say devaluation is less of an issue than if you're dropping Rolex money after saving up for years. I'd pick the car. 60k isn't a sensible choice whether it's a car or a watch and both will likely be worth a lot less quite quickly after buying it.

I enjoy watches a lot, but a 60k car tends to hold more 'psychological value' for me than a 60k watch. I guess this comparison would make more sense to me when it's 6 figures, as the difference between e.g. a 60k car and a 10k car is much larger than a 60k watch and a 10k watch. The watch will have a fancier movement, perhaps more gold or platinum, but 10k gets you a whole lot of watch. With cars there's a massive difference.

I reckon I'd have more fun with 60k car than a watch. It might even encourage me to learn to drive! ;) if I could afford a 60k car, I'd not be worrying about loosing money on it.

I would spend 30k on each well really about 45k car and £15k watch, if I had £60k spare.... A 911 and a Panerai happy days... But then back in the real world 3 kids and building projects.

Craftsman
    I live in the centre of London, a car has no use to me. Watch all the way, I'll have the Patek Grand Complication please

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    if I could afford a 60k car, I'd not be worrying about loosing money on it.
    What rot! Doesn't matter what you spend, you worry!

Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    I live in the centre of London, a car has no use to me. Watch all the way, I'll have the Patek Grand Complication please

I suppose this sort of money goes beyond Rolex and PP is the obvious choice. Something platinum would be nice.

Craftsman
    To be honest, I'd get a Moser Perpetual 1 and spend the other half on a decent car to drive the family around in.

Might have tell the wife that the balance of it was more like 55/5 in the car favour. I love her, but I'm not sure she'd understand....

Master
    It doesn't mention in the OP,s question wether it can be second hand or not, if it can, then it would be the car for me all day long. And it would be a low mileage 05 NSX. As long as I didn't put too much mileage on it, it wouldn't lose any value.

At the moment, I'd get a £60k watch rather than a car. But in reality, I'd save it for housing.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I don't see how they are related. A car is something I transport my family around. I prefer that they enjoy a degree of comfort and safety afforded by a good car. A watch is something I buy for my pleasure, I don't actually need any of my watches and no one else depends on them. True a watch will hold is value much better.

If I was so financially constrained that the purchase of either one would impinge upon the other. I would have to buy the car.

Edit
    100 per cent agree.

Craftsman
    Would £60k get me a second hand Aston DB9 or Vantage? I do fancy one of those. If it would then I'm afraid the watch wouldn't get a look in.

Master
    It's not really answering the question, I know, but let's be honest. 30k these days buys you a lightly-used good spec German barge that'll run for ever. 30k also buys you a lot of fun on the wrist. So it's half and half for me...

SGR
    (Hedging those bets)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    Would £60k get me a second hand Aston DB9 or Vantage? I do fancy one of those. If it would then I'm afraid the watch wouldn't get a look in.
    Yes, and then some:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=True

SGR

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

How many times have I looked back over the last few years at the classic cars and watches I have purchased, restored and sold since the eighties.. I would be long retired now if I had a crystal ball back then.. Destined to keep on working still today..

For me it is classic cars first, complemented with some nice watches and shotguns along the way.. For the daily, and its my work hack, I would never spend more than £15K.. The other £45K would be split, as previously mentioned, appropriately..

Mark

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    To drive £60k or wear it on your wrist?

It's a no brainer for me, drive a VW Polo and wear a significant watch. On an economics front a sensible watch purchase is very safe money, a car isn't. Assuming you have no issues with the size of your manhood, why would you choose the car?
    Because 60 grand is so deep into the realm of diminishing returns for me ("haut" brand, precious metal and funny complications at that level) that I can't imagine spending even 1/10th of that. That, and enthusiasm for watches is not correlated with how much cash money I have knocking around!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Is that £60k on a single watch or 10 watches at £6k each ? That would be so much more palatable.
    Hypothetically (cos thats all it is for me at present), I would never spend such a sum on a car....oh unless it was a G Wagen....or an Audi....or a Landcruiser or.....

Crikey.

This hasn't turned out as I expected. I was hoping for a list of exotic watches I'd never heard of. I suppose the point I was trying to make was would you spend more on a watch than a car? Secondhand or otherwise, and if you want to spend it on several watches that's ok.

i like cars but I like watches more and I wanted to see if anyone else agreed. It's just me, the dogs and the missus so school fees etc are not an issue.

my experience of great cars I've owned is that they suck up money especially classic ones, so now I prefer something German and reliable to drive and a watch that makes me smile.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    sorted!

Master
    Crikey.

This hasn't turned out as I expected. I was hoping for a list of exotic watches I'd never heard of. I suppose the point I was trying to make was would you spend more on a watch than a car? Secondhand or otherwise, and if you want to spend it on several watches that's ok.

i like cars but I like watches more and I wanted to see if anyone else agreed. It's just me, the dogs and the missus so school fees etc are not an issue.

my experience of great cars I've owned is that they suck up money especially classic ones, so now I prefer something German and reliable to drive and a watch that makes me smile.

I think it's the £60k figure that's skewing it this way. That amount makes a hell of a lot of difference to a car but pushes a watch well into the diminishing returns end of the scale. Down at the other end of the scale, I don't mind having watches (or a collection of watches at least) that cost more than my car for the usual reasons of the car depreciating and the watches holding their value. I doubt I'd want £60k tied up in a car or in watches TBH, unless my mortgage was a distant memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I think it's the £60k figure that's skewing it this way. That amount makes a hell of a lot of difference to a car but pushes a watch well into the diminishing returns end of the scale.
    Agree; 60k buys you a very decent second hand car; DB9, Ferrari F430 or a nice Gallardo for instance. I can't think of a watch I'd want at 60k second hand, so if watches I'd blow that on 40k and 20k's worth both Pateks although perhaops one PP and one Lange.

Honestly though if somene gave me 60k to 'waste' on cars or watches, assuming we get to keep what we already have, I'll take the watches ta! Nice PP Retrograde PC and a Nautilus.

As I'm currently driving a borrowed 18 yr old Nissan Micra (not this one but its same bonkers colour!) one litre automatic worth absolutely nothing whilst wearing my DSSD; guess what I'd chose?
    TT

Master
    I'm another rice and chips, slightly biased towards the car (s).

My most expensive watch is a Speedy Pro, total value of collection is about £2300.

Carwise, we have an E-class estate and a 1989 325i cabrio. With more cash, I'd possible upgrade the Merc with a newer model, and go more classic. Watchwise, I'd love a DSSD and a Snoopy, and a Lange.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Since this is a fantasy scenario, I'll assume I'm rich enough not to need the £60k back at any point, and take the car. Expensive watches are all very well, but they don't do anything much quantifiably better beyond a certain point, they're just rarer, hand crafted, made out of expensive materials, and so on.

The feeling of driving an exquisitely made sports car is just much more visceral and exciting compared to sitting there thinking about how expensive your watch is. The two don't really compare as experiences. And I'm willing to believe that a £60k car is noticeably different to a £15k car. But is a £60k watch much more beautiful than a £15k watch? The difference is mainly in your head.

If investment and depreciation is a factor, then sure the watch wins hands down (well, usually). But much as I love watches, going for 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds puts a smile on my face in another way altogether. I'm glad I don't have to choose. I'll take a decent car, a fast bike, a beautiful watch, and £45k in change thank you very much.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post

Edit
    You could equally swap them around and say "a watch is something I tell the time with and a car is something I use for pleasure".

I'd rather be driving £60k than wearing it on my wrist, and if you buy the correct car your £60k could be a better investment!

Grand Master
    Crikey.

Spending more on the watch than the car is probably not that weird considering that even a mid-range Omega now costs four grand and you can get a lot of used car metal for that money. I think it's an interesting point especially if you live somewhere where a car is basically a liability.

Per some comments, it's the "£60k" bit that needs re-thinking. The presumption also is that the only thing people are interested in is spending on watches, 100% watches to the exclusion of all else. It's all a bit single-issue fundie for me, and is the reason I take the car, given the theoretical choice of only black or white.

(In reality it's a slightly used £25k car, a £3k watch, several hundred to spend on more watch bits to make my own, and the rest into a fund orf some sort)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I love cars and watches (oh and motorbikes too).

Cars - I'd love a 997 GT3, and or a Cayman R - not doable being semi-retired, well not without selling watches ;)

I guess £60k would buy me a nice GT3 with money left over - a little over half that might get me a Cayman R. Neither would replace my watch collection though.

I'd think seriously about something like a Cayman R as a long term ownership prospect - so may well go down that route this year, or a GT3 if the prices soften back a little - but all things being equal I'd rather have £30k in watches and £30k in a car than £60k in a car. Ideally, I'd have £250k in cars, £250k in watches and £250k in motorbikes - maybe a a few mil £'s in homes and £10m+ in the bank ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    For me, most likely a car - diminishing returns kick in much earlier on watches. There are only a few watches in that price range that appeal sufficiently (the Dufour Simplicity being one), but quite a few cars that I would enjoy driving much more.

Perhaps I'm just a 'budget kind of WIS' :P

I'd want a balance. Wouldn't want to be wearing a 59K watch but driving an old banger. Makes much more sense to drive a newish 3 series, A4 or C Class, and own a DayDate, ceramic Sub, and a couple of beaters. Best of both worlds then.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    It's not really answering the question, I know, but let's be honest. 30k these days buys you a lightly-used good spec German barge that'll run for ever. 30k also buys you a lot of fun on the wrist. So it's half and half for me...

SGR
    (Hedging those bets)
    This

Watch. Definitely.

Craftsman
    Watch for me coz i have a works van