closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've lost two and a half stone since Christmas. Want to know the hardest part?

I've lost two and a half stone since Christmas. Want to know the hardest part?

Taking another link out of the bracelet of my Dreadnought Voyager!

Congrats on the weight loss. Did you use diet, exercise or a mixture of both?
    Last edited by beechcustom; 26th March 2014 at 21:47. Reason: splelling

Hahaha - I lost just over 10 stone a while back and ended up flogging half my watches and all my leather straps because they all looked stupid on my new sparrow wrists!

Well done on your weight loss and good luck with your dreadnought bracelet!

David

Cheers.

Basically 5:2, plus being sensible. No puddings, sweets, biscuits nor alcohol. It's actually been remarkably easy.

And the thought of having to adjust the bracelet should be sufficient to keep it off!

Very well done. I did the same and changed my eating habits at the beginning of this year and have lost 2 stone 1lb so far. The first 2 stone came off very rapidly but it's slowed down now so I must be nearing my equilibrium. I'd like to lose another 27lb as that would put my BMI right into the healthy zone. Like you I found the change in eating habits remarkably simple, and the benefits enormous. I don't know why I didn't change years ago!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Cheers.

Basically 5:2, plus being sensible. No puddings, sweets, biscuits nor alcohol. It's actually been remarkably easy.

And the thought of having to adjust the bracelet should be sufficient to keep it off!

That's the biggest single thing that anyone can do to lose weight... amazing how easy it is to do.

Congratulations !

Cheers.

Sell the links and they'll be no going back!

I started the 5:2 but gave up.

Planning on starting again April 1st
    Also going to knock the booze on the head too, hope that makes the difference!

Master
    Congratulations!
    I got rid of 2st 10lbs using Slimming World, as pointed out, cutting down on the red wine was a big factor. Still working out the best was to maintain weight (still in danger of weight loss), but not going back to old ways.
    I had to take a link out of my sub, and now it fits better than ever.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Taking another link out of the bracelet of my Dreadnought Voyager!
    16 kilo in 3 months is a LOT Sir.
    Congratulations!

The watch straps are just one thing.
    Whether one needs to adjust the sizing depends a bit on how one prefers to wear the bracelet. The difference between a bit more slack and slack is easy to ignore unlike slack versus snug.

You will be several sizes down on others, probably even a hát size down.
    Most of thát is less easy to ignore/solve :-(

Blog Entries
    Basically, without alcohol, you're cutting back on carbs. Alcohol slows the weight loss, because it uses the carb in alcohol as a fuel... In fact, your body is using the alcohol as 'preferred fuel': all other energy sources are stored inside your body when there's alcoholic engery available.

Easiest way is to cut the alcohol consumption. On the other hand, a glass of red wine/day is not bad for you!

Most men tend to consume too much carbs. We're always keen not to take too much fat. But we're looking in the wrong direction! Our metabolism and day job are not up to large amounts of carb intake. Protein and healthy fat are great alternatives.

When you're at a certain level with your weightloss program, google 'Paleo'. Very inspiring, healthy and tasteful.

Menno

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Easiest way is to cut the alcohol consumption.
    Ditto soft drinks filled with sugars.

A bit more of a challenge when you are very moderate on both to start with.

I hardly consume either, nor sugar in thee/coffee and there is no way around more excersize et al.

A good one is to substitue carbohydrates, fats by proteïns wherever possible. The same caloric value of proteïns will last longer before the internal time to eat bell tolls.
    Take an egg instead of bread in the morning.
    Take a bit more chicken in the sandwich instead of the mayonaise.
    The same energetic intake will ´fill´ you for significantly longer.

When cutting down on calories don´t forget to keep taking care of the brain! Loss of concentration and deminishing attention span are likely side effects.
    To stay up to mental activities, replace fat with sugars. That way you can cut down on calories and not slow down mentally.

And fibers, fibers, fibers.

I run down to the post office in the morning without any breakfast, thus forcing my body to tap fat reserves.
    When I get back I drink freshly made juice of oranges and strawberries.
    That gives me direct energy for the brain and fibers to keep the drains working.

I lost a couple of stone last year by going for brisk walks, and just eating less.

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    I started the 5:2 but gave up.

Planning on starting again April 1st
    Also going to knock the booze on the head too, hope that makes the difference!
    I think it's the booze that's made the difference for me. A few drinks in the evening leads to a desire for sugary things the next day.

once the sugars wear off, there's a desire to replace them, and a glass or three of wine does that splendidly.

Which leads to...

the first couple of weeks were hard, but as time's gone on its got easier and I've no desire to have a drink.

Having been hangover free for 3 months and sleeping much better, I'd rather like to keep it that way.

Well done OP and others! Seems that there's a fair few of us trying to shed the pounds.

I had a shot at this last year and had a free sub to Weightwatchers, but our local meet was awful. You'd wait your turn to get weighed while the agent's minions tried to sell you product that you can buy at half the price in the supermarkets. Then, if you were lucky, you'd get a pep talk afterwards about how pork pies were bad for you. Seriously. I mean who knew?

Anyway, I started for myself first week of Jan and have lost 23llbs so far. Proper cereal breakfast, cuppa-soup lunch and salad/crispbread and yoghurt for tea. No alcohol in the week makes a big difference, it's just empty calories, though I still have a tipple at the weekend. Saturday night is my night off but any treats still have to be low cal versions.

Still a long way to go but I've changed my approach and made what I hope are some lifestyle changes rather than seeing it as finite period of dieting.

Exercise next, I've already started to do more walking but I know there's a bike somewhere in the outbuildings.....

Good job! That's quite a loss in a short space of time.

(And at this moment, I'm watching Secret Eaters on Channel 4 watching two disgusting fat pigs - apparently women - eating all sorts of shit and wondering why they put on 4 stone each in a year).

Fantastic!

After losing around 0.5kg for week after week, Ive somehow managed to put on around 10kg over the last two months, without trying - oh well (well I did give up all activity for 6 weeks). Another 10kg and I might have to start thinking about slimming down, but I'm enjoying my food, and the extra energy for now.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I too looked in the mirror late last year and decided that enough was enough, that I wanted to stop having to buy new clothes and save money by being able to get back into my old clothes. Since then I have lost 31lbs (14kg) just by only eating real food. No bread, no sugar, no pies or snacks, nothing at all that has more than 5 ingredients, and no soft drinks. Lots of meat, eggs and vegetables (no fruit). I still drink the odd glass of red wine and very occasionally a whisky, but no beer, all very easy. Now I am down to wanting to lose the last 10-15lbs I feel now that I want to do some exercise and I am sure will quickly lose the rest.

Also, getting rid of the crap in my diet means that some previous ailments have gone too, heartburn vanished, sinus infections gone and I feel great!

Blog Entries
    Also, getting rid of the crap in my diet means that some previous ailments have gone too, heartburn vanished, sinus infections gone and I feel great!
    Same here! And the 'not more than 5 ingredients' rule is a nice one! Hadn't thought about that, but it's true! I stick to that as well without realising it. Personally, I still eat two slices of whole grain bread in the morning. And fruit in combination with my trip to the gym: an apple before I start and a banana when I'm finished.

A few years back, when I was in hospital for heart surgery, I noticed a poster on the wall in the nurse station about extra protein for heart patients: extra protein is good for the heart muscle. That's the moment I realised that I needed more protein - sadly, it took some extra years (and lbs) before I realised that I had to cut down on carbs as well...

This morning I stepped on the scale (motivated by this thread) and I've lost 22kgs / ± 3.5 stone (?) since April 2013. And things are getting better: Daylight Saving Time this weekend and that will give me more daylight time to take my bike out for a spin after an early dinner.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Good job! That's quite a loss in a short space of time.

(And at this moment, I'm watching Secret Eaters on Channel 4 watching two disgusting fat pigs - apparently women - eating all sorts of shit and wondering why they put on 4 stone each in a year).
    They're not disgusting fat pigs. They're perfectly decent women who've deluded themselves as they built up their relationship. The 'after' shots showed they can address their diets.

I run down to the post office in the morning without any breakfast, thus forcing my body to tap fat reserves.
    That gives me direct energy for the brain and fibers to keep the drains working.[/QUOTE]

Nice thought about about tapping fat reserves but unless the PO is a very long way away you will be using glycogen which a substance that easily converts back to glucose and is mainly stored in the liver.

This energy store will last 30 mins or more.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timlin View Post
    That gives me direct energy for the brain and fibers to keep the drains working.
    Nice thought about about tapping fat reserves but unless the PO is a very long way away you will be using glycogen which a substance that easily converts back to glucose and is mainly stored in the liver.

This energy store will last 30 mins or more.[/QUOTE]

You are entirely correct ofcourse. Thanks for pointing it out.

The run is about an hour; I go back again ;-)
    The return is uphill.
    Also I do so áfter having fed the horses.

That is a decent run :)

Quote Originally Posted by timlin View Post

This energy store will last 30 mins or more.[/QUOTE]

Depends - if, you had a no carb dinner the night before, and ate a v small amount of pure protein as soon as you woke, there would be v little glycogen store left - you would then start to use fat stores earlier. If you had a full carb meal later in the evening, you'll use v little fat store in the first hour of exercise next day.

Your metabolism allows you to constantly lay down and use fat to survive, understanding how and why this works is key to a more successful relationship with all food groups - just eat for what you are about to do (very few people need to eat for what they have done), and you won't go too far wrong.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    I lost 4lbs last weekend, I cut the hard skin off my feet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post

:-) nice image

Craftsman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Guess what is coming to SC soon?

Apprentice
    I got a march on you all... I started in August whilst suffering from sciatica. Shed 36kg/80lb by the EL-MM method (eat less, move more) - not been a saint by any means (yes, I've eaten pies, curries & cakes and drunk beer)... All in moderation.

Sciatica gone, BP down by 30/40, resting HR down by 25 - all good stuff and thanks to the bike riding I've been doing I've got muscley legs for the first time in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
    I got a march on you all... I started in August whilst suffering from sciatica. Shed 36kg/80lb by the EL-MM method (eat less, move more) - not been a saint by any means (yes, I've eaten pies, curries & cakes and drunk beer)... All in moderation.

Sciatica gone, BP down by 30/40, resting HR down by 25 - all good stuff and thanks to the bike riding I've been doing I've got muscley legs for the first time in 20 years.
    Yikes, thats almost 6 stone...well done! Just goes to show what relatively small changes in diet and lifestyle can do.

Mind if I ask how much you weighed before the loss?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    congratz to you, I myself have lost 18 Kilo since New Year, using execise and the Lighter Life Diet,

I am now off the diet, and holding a steady 90 kilo, although still a little heavy for my 5 feet 7 inch frame, I no longer have the 'beer belly' and feel much better all round, maybe try to get to 85 kilo using exercise over the summer,

again well done, now keep it off !!!

ohh, and a little tip, I work out a lot, and have decided to have a 'cheat day' where I can eat what I want all day Saturday, and enjoy life, with a nice dinner and some wine, then back onto sensible eating and gym Monday through Friday, seems to work great, and gives me something to look forward to at the end of the week for 'being good'
    Last edited by soundood; 29th March 2014 at 19:30.

Blog Entries
    Regarding weight loss:

I wheeled a guy up a ramp on my ambulance in a wheelchair last week, and said to him in a bit of icebreaking banter "oooo, you can come again sir, you're as light as a feather....!"

His response....
    "I will be kiddo, I had a leg off last week!" he hollered as he tapped his knuckles hard on his new lightweight prosthetic leg!!

Tumbleweed........

The guy was a right as rain, he was laughing afterwards, said he had been in pain for ages and felt great now.... will admit to blushing a little at my gaffe!!!
    Last edited by gregory; 30th March 2014 at 01:08.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    congratz to you, I myself have lost 18 Kilo since New Year, using execise and the Lighter Life Diet,

I am now off the diet, and holding a steady 90 kilo, although still a little heavy for my 5 feet 7 inch frame, I no longer have the 'beer belly' and feel much better all round, maybe try to get to 85 kilo using exercise over the summer,

again well done, now keep it off !!!

ohh, and a little tip, I work out a lot, and have decided to have a 'cheat day' where I can eat what I want all day Saturday, and enjoy life, with a nice dinner and some wine, then back onto sensible eating and gym Monday through Friday, seems to work great, and gives me something to look forward to at the end of the week for 'being good'
    Given the fact that you're a regular at the gym, I think you've put on some muscle as well. That counts as well! The 85 kilo spot on the horizon can be very hard to achieve when you're gaining muscles. A good benchmark would be measuring your body fat. Perhaps you already started doing that shortly after NY Day. (I don't know the Lighter Life Diet).

Menno

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Mind if I ask how much you weighed before the loss?
    A midge's whizzer under 130kg... Target is 90kg which the internal customs officer tells makes me positively skeletal given I'm 1.96 tall (I don't tend to agree with her on that though)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Given the fact that you're a regular at the gym, I think you've put on some muscle as well. That counts as well! The 85 kilo spot on the horizon can be very hard to achieve when you're gaining muscles. A good benchmark would be measuring your body fat. Perhaps you already started doing that shortly after NY Day. (I don't know the Lighter Life Diet).

Menno
    #

this is very true, but I was already 'bulked' from the gym, having trouble getting my suits on, they were very tight on the biceps.

I have lost a combination of fat and muscle, but since coming off the diet, I have been toning, gaining a little muscle, but losing a little fat, maintaining a constant 90 Kg.

hence why I think it will be difficult to shift the last few Kg's

A midge's whizzer under 130kg... Target is 90kg which the internal customs officer tells makes me positively skeletal given I'm 1.96 tall (I don't tend to agree with her on that though)
    Good going. Well done again.

I cam back from a work trip and got off the scales and though I have to change. I am on day 62 of P90x and now lost 2 stone. For me the biggest win was just stopping drinking.

That's impressive and great outcome. I like the idea of the EL-MM diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    For me the biggest win was just stopping drinking.
    Yep, I reckon that's the key; as I mentioned earlier, I don't think it's simply the dead calories in the drink, it's the consequential additional eating that's the problem

Apprentice
    A month further on and another 1.5kg lost... Same story I'm just easing my way to target now... Final approach - clear for landing ;)

A few years ago I lost 33 pounds in 11 weeks. When I met someone I hadn't seen for a few months, they said "Oh dear, have you been ill?".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    A few years ago I lost 33 pounds in 11 weeks. When I met someone I hadn't seen for a few months, they said "Oh dear, have you been ill?". Eddie
    When women lose weight they typically look fabulous. When men over the age of 30 do the same thing they just look ill; I've seen it with several friends.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Mark Webber was on Saturday Morning Kitchen a couple of weeks ago. Of course he's superbly fit - but looked like a rake and that what he really needed was a big steak and kidney pie, or three.

Journeyman
    Apologies for what may be a daft-sounding question, but what's the 5:2 plan?

As I've posted on another thread, I've a bit of weight to shed. Don't know where to begin. I don't really drink and eat sensibly.

And huge congrats to the OP :)

Google is your friend, but basically it involves eating normally 5 days a week and fasting (limiting intake to 500-600 calories) on 2 non-consecutive days a week.

One of the nice aspects is that you can flex it quite easily and don't have to be the awkward person if you go or for dinner

And thanks. I had to look back to the start of the thread to discover I was the OP :-)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Random question but do your wrists size also change with your body size? Because I've got very small wrists and often cant even wear leather straps but I'm not really a skinny fellow around average weight but really want beefier wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Junaid8 View Post
    Random question but do your wrists size also change with your body size? Because I've got very small wrists and often cant even wear leather straps but I'm not really a skinny fellow around average weight but really want beefier wrists.
    Absolutely.

I've lost 4" off of my waist, and have had to take links out of all of my watch bracelets and my wedding ring is falling off of my fingers.

Whilst I'm sure upping your pie and pint intake will allow you to optimise your body shape to suit larger watches, I don't think I can actually recommend it as a lifestyle choice

Absolutely.

I've lost 4" off of my waist, and have had to take links out of all of my watch bracelets and my wedding ring is falling off of my fingers.

Whilst I'm sure upping your pie and pint intake will allow you to optimise your body shape to suit larger watches, I don't think I can actually recommend it as a lifestyle choice
    I had the same issue, and not just a watch strap, my prothstetic leg socket had to be lined!
    Weight comes off your neck, waist, thighs & wrists. My shirts hang off me, my girlfriend wants me to ditch them, but they cost me a small fortune.
    I'd rather not return to being a fatty again though!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I had the same issue, and not just a watch strap, my prothstetic leg socket had to be lined!
    I know I shouldn't... but that made me laugh. Sorry.

You're right about the other stuff though; weight seems to come off the extremities first, and the pot belly remains :-(

Apprentice
    I hit & passed (second/revised) target on Monday... If I go a further 0.7kg I will be 14st exactly... OCD maybe...

All about maintenance now really though :)