closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2014

Master
    Poor old Jenson that McLaren really does have issues doesn't it? Added to which that livery is seriously dull, I really struggle to spot the McLarens. Their sponsor may be yawn inducing business software but really, couldn't they come up with something better? Maybe it looks a million dollars close up but on TV it's a grey car.

Banned
    Blog Entries

What a surprise

Hamilton won,
    the other Merc second,
    Alonso third half a minute from the lead.

Good thing that I read it in the newspaper.

Any bets on Hamilton not becoming champ?
    Any bets on Mercedes not winning the title?

I think the new tech GREAT but can we fast forward please?

The race was finished one lap too early, can't say that I noticed at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...checkered-flag

Confirmed by the footnote at the bottom of the official results

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/917/

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The race was finished one lap too early, can't say that I noticed at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...checkered-flag

Confirmed by the footnote at the bottom of the official results

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/917/
    I know Hamilton was confused about whether the race had finished or not a lap earlier!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I know Hamilton was confused about whether the race had finished or not a lap earlier!
    Yes he said it over team radio as he crossed the line but the commentators didn't quite hear correctly. Strange course of events, imagine if Ricciardo had managed to overtake Alonso on the last lap, for it to not count.

Heuertecilla: you sounds as downbeat as your idol. Ironically, I was reading back through the 2013 thread and I notice you were over the moon with the 'action' last season. When I say action, of course I am referring to Vettel totally dominating the field and wiping the floor with everyone. I still don't get why this season is any different in your eyes? Well I do, but it would be nice if you could finally admit it.

Craftsman
    Mercedes seem to be in pole at the minute but it wont take long for the field to close them down, Hamilton must take advantage while he can and i think he knows it.

Perhaps Red Bull should take the FIA to court for a breach of the rules!!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh View Post
    Mercedes seem to be in pole at the minute but it wont take long for the field to close them down, Hamilton must take advantage while he can and i think he knows it.
    It is nice to see him being ruthless.
    I always thought that he had become soft, and his mind elsewhere whilst Scherzinger was around.

Craftsman
    It is nice to see him being ruthless.
    I always thought that he had become soft, and his mind elsewhere whilst Scherzinger was around.
    He did become to laid back at Mclaren and i think he realised it, thats why he jumped ship.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Hamilton won,
    the other Merc second,
    Alonso third half a minute from the lead.

Good thing that I read it in the newspaper.

Any bets on Hamilton not becoming champ?
    Any bets on Mercedes not winning the title?

I think the new tech GREAT but can we fast forward please?
    If you are not going to watch the race, why bother to comment in this thread?
    If it was Vettel at the front, you wouldn't be complaining

He did become to laid back at Mclaren and i think he realised it, thats why he jumped ship.
    I also suspect that Mercedes told him how their Power Train development was going

Craftsman
    I also suspect that Mercedes told him how their Power Train development was going
    True, but at the end of the day these drivers just wanna win titles and will go to the teams that will give them the chance to win the title.

Really?

Powertrain development was frozen on 28 February, so none of the Renault or Ferrari powered teams can copy the Mercedes concept of splitting the turbocharger, which gives packaging and aerodynamic benefits. The other Mercedes powered teams have the same power units as Mercedes themselves, but haven't been able to take advantage, as the "works" team were able to design their car from the conception stage with the engine and chassis designers, aerodynamicists and engineers working together.

Quite simply, they have a power and packaging advantage that even the other Mercedes teams cannot match this season. The 2014 cars have been two years in gestation, and it won't be simply a question of copying Mercedes. Chassis, engine, ERS systems, gearbox packaging and most importantly weight distribution and aerodynamics are all interdependent, and simply changing one or two of those elements will result in an unbalanced car, so the changes required to even get close to Mercedes are too complex to achieve in-season. Anybody who thinks that Formula 1 is in any way easy or straightforward is only fooling themselves. Or called Haas.

Everybody else will already be hard at work on next year's car. For 2014, it looks like a one-horse race.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Looks like the double points nonsense at the final Grand Prix will be totally irrelevant at this point!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post

Heuertecilla: you sounds as downbeat as your idol. Ironically, I was reading back through the 2013 thread and I notice you were over the moon with the 'action' last season. When I say action, of course I am referring to Vettel totally dominating the field and wiping the floor with everyone. I still don't get why this season is any different in your eyes? Well I do, but it would be nice if you could finally admit it.

No time for fanbois on this thread, just fans of the sport. Funny how one person can totally undermine a thread with their constant whinging. Get over it Cilla, you're a bore.

It's a long way off but I just arranged to go to Suzuka for the Japanese Grand Prix this year. First time for me. Can't wait ! ( Anyone else going ? I know it's a long shot but ... )

Paul

Craftsman
    Fully expect Lewis to be completely focused and dominant this year. When he has his head on right there are few who can match him and he has a direct line to the Championship this year which should keep him on the straight and narrow.

Totally disagree on the previous page someone saying Lewis always knows how to get 110% out of the car however. He spent the last few years at McLarens in various states of motivation and was often out performed by Jenson, who in all fairness to him isn't in the top tier of drivers. A fully focused Lewis would have won the Championship in 2012, the McLaren was the fastest car for most of that year and only Lewis' mental state kept him from winning the title.

Seb obviously struggling with this car and Riciardo is doing a fantastic job so far this year, makes a very interesting side story for the season since the Championship seems to be a foregone conclusion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    It's a long way off but I just arranged to go to Suzuka for the Japanese Grand Prix this year. First time for me. Can't wait ! ( Anyone else going ? I know it's a long shot but ... )

Paul
    Congratulations - hope you have a fantastic time :-)

Panorama on BBC1 at 8.30 this evening has as its' subject one Bernard Charles Ecclestone, and the legal issues facing him as he faces a charge of making an illegal bribe to Gerhard Gribkowsky, a German banker currently in jail for receiving an illegal bribe.

Popcorn at the ready.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Panorama on BBC1 at 8.30 this evening has as its' subject one Bernard Charles Ecclestone, and the legal issues facing him as he faces a charge of making an illegal bribe to Gerhard Gribkowsky, a German banker currently in jail for receiving an illegal bribe.

Popcorn at the ready.
    Watching this now.
    It's followed by Crimewatch... :)

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Watching this now.
    It's followed by Crimewatch... :)
    They could have saved half an hour and combined them both.

$2 Billion in tax avoidance and he can't get a decent haircut?

Craftsman
    I think the start to the new season has been fantastic, we have seen some great racing.

I just hope Mercedes allow Hamilton and Rosberg to continue racing without team orders.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    $2 Billion in tax avoidance and he can't get a decent haircut?
    That has to be a wig, right?!!

Having watched the evidence assembled by Panorama, I just wonder what the case for the defence might consist of?

I do wonder if Bernie sees himself as being above the law. He does seem to have become accustomed to having things his own way.

The case is scheduled to last six months. I'm not sure why it will take that long, especially as the judge is the very same one who found Gribkowsky guilty.

That has to be a wig, right?!!
    I thought that, but the kids said 'surely he could get a better wig'. Can't argue with that logic.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Thanks for the heads up set to record this on a re-run.

Don't like BE and hope that he's demise comes real soon although I suspect that what ever the outcome he will come out of it smelling of roses and as someone has already mentioned maybe a knighthood .

B

Journeyman
    I was about post about Nigel. Very sad news indeed.

I hadn't heard about Nigel Stepney's accident, so thanks for the link.

Whatever the rights and wrongs (mostly wrongs) of the "Spygate" scandal, Nigel had previously been a key player in Ferrari's successes during the Schumacher years, and was instrumental in improving their reliability.

Sadly, he will be remembered for the wrong reason.

Just getting ready to depart for Gatwick, anyone else going to this weekend's race?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Just getting ready to depart for Gatwick, anyone else going to this weekend's race?
    Sadly not. Have a good time, and don't forget that we like photos!

Lots of updates due for this race, being the first European (or proper) race, and of course every team will be keen to debut their new improved aero packages, along with their new improved and even bigger (taller) Paddock Palaces.

I still can't see anybody interfering with Mercedes' domination, though. Only unreliability or bad luck can stop them from winning every race this season, it would appear.

As an aside, Ross Brawn "happened" to be on holiday in Italy recently, and "happened" to be in Maranello, looking up a few old friends. As you do. He also "happened" to visit Ferrari. It is believed that he still owns a villa near Maranello. Just saying.

Looking forward to getting my F1 fix again.
    Imagine my disappointment at being off for a long weekend

Craftsman
    really miss the sound of last years engines though

Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    really miss the sound of last years engines though
    I believe that they are trying to bring some real noise back. Anyone know when?

Journeyman
    I believe that they are trying to bring some real noise back. Anyone know when?
    According to the Daily Mail this weekend in testing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...panish-GP.html

This fab short video on the development of F1 was posted on Joe Saward's blog.

Apologies if a re-post...

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting!

Just watched a great piece on Sky about Roland Ratzenberger, it's understandable that Senna's name will be mentioned more frequently but it doesn't make RR's death any less tragic.

And now to quali; the Mercs appear to have it tied up again but where will Vettel end up after his loom issues and how big a step, if any, has McL made?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

And now to quali; the Mercs appear to have it tied up again but where will Vettel end up after his loom issues and how big a step, if any, has McL made?
    This time qualifying coïncides with today´s late lunch at home so I will be watching it. For tomorrow though I am off doing something more exciting fun. I have already decided on the watch and hat with added value
    I will read the result in the sports paper monday morning on the way back home when having coffee in the bar at the village square.

Blog Entries
    Wow Vettel really has no luck at all. It's actually quite strange to see too given how much luck he seemed to have over the last couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Wow Vettel really has no luck at all. It's actually quite strange to see too given how much luck he seemed to have over the last couple of seasons.

It's certainly a character-building season for him, and to compound his misery he'll be starting from 15th today, as his gearbox was changed following his breakdown in Q3 yesterday.

Daniel Ricciardo, meanwhile, starts third, which at least proves that the car has some pace around a circuit which was expected to flatter the aerodynamic performance of the Red Bull, and compensate for some of the power deficit of the Renault. Although he really needed an extra dose of brave pills to achieve it, as the car looked as though it was trying to spit him off at every corner.

He wasnt alone, though, as the "fly-by-wire" rear brakes seem to be unnerving most of the drivers around Barcelona, and combined with a radical loss of rear downforce this year has given rise to some unusual off-track excursions through Practice and Qualifying, so we may see some incidents during the race. A DNF for Maldonado appears to be a foregone conclusion.

Grand Master
    Boring

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Boring
    You should have hung around for the last few laps! The battles for 1st/2nd, 4th/5th and 6th/7th were all entertaining.

Kimi wasn't particularly happy afterwards, was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Kimi wasn't particularly happy afterwards, was he?
    Kimi, happy? Yeh, yeh, yeh! Lol

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You should have hung around for the last few laps! The battles for 1st/2nd, 4th/5th and 6th/7th were all entertaining.
    I am happy for you that you 70 lap wait was rewarded with a few entertaing laps.

I was happy with my other entertainment for the sunday and reading the BBC step by step write up with video highlights at the coffee just now.

Great drive by Vettel btw. and Hamilton is painted as a spoiled little brat in the BBC write up.
    I don´t care who gets to be champion, well, ok, abit; I prefer Rosberg and for racing sake hope that Vettel/Ricciardo can give the Mercedes boys a more thrilling to watch run for it.

A pity that Raikkonen could not finish ahead of Alonso. The spanish press is in dire need of that. This too I hope for.

Master
    Hamilton is painted as a spoiled little brat in the BBC write up.
    I'd say he's doing what he needs to do to win, and he should have done in previous years.

Vettel and Alonso do the same within their teams. It's also what Senna did, regardless of all the misty-eyed nostalgia that's been dripping out of our screens for the past week.

Nice guys don't win very often in F1, but some of the winning b@stards have been better at covering it up than others.

I am happy for you that you 70 lap wait was rewarded with a few entertaing laps.
    How did you cope with the refuelling years I wonder. F1 has always been more of a marathon than a constant sprint.

Hamilton is painted as a spoiled little brat in the BBC write up.
    Where? I didn't read that into the Beeb's write up.

It read (to me) that he was lucky to hold off Rosberg and the race finished just in time for him (to which both he and Nico alluded).

His car was obviously a wee bit slower in the closing stages but he did (as has been said) just enough to get the job done.

Ah well - I'll just get on with enjoying it and leave it there.

Cheers,

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Where? I didn't read that into the Beeb's write up.
    Several places in the pit communication.
    They even observe is gets a bit heated.

As a side not; the absence of VW/Audi in F1 is rather striking imo. The more so as the revolutionary Porsche designed Auto Union GP cars had the legs of the silberpfeilen.