closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need ID on old Omega

Need ID on old Omega

My cousin found this at a garage sale for US$1. It appears to be made of some sort of goldish coloured base metal. It is manual wind, works good. Needs a service but keeping good time. The quickset date can be turned forward or back with the crown.

He wants to know about how much it's worth. I don't think much b/c it doesn't appear to be gold - the signed crown is worn down to some other metal. If it's not worth anything perhaps I can get it from him and get it the svc it needs. I would occasionally wear it. He just thinks that b/c it's an Omega he can get some money. Maybe he can. I have no idea what this watch is but I have it and I took some pics.

Any ideas? TIA.

Craftsman
    Hi Tom,
    Neil C would probably be the best person to answer this....watch can be dated easily by its serial number, to me it appears to be a bog standard geneve, 20 microns gold plate over a brass case (same for crown) probably from around the late 60's very early 70's, the $1 investment is a great one, in the uk they change hand son the bay for about £60 to £100 although the present condition of this one is not great, it could easily be improved upon.
    Snoopy

As a rule, if the case-back is steel, then the case would be gold-plated. The rest, as Snoopy said.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

This is what the Omega website says about the 136.0102 case reference.
    NOTE the additional information at the bottom of the description:-
    "Also available in 14K gold-plated (20 mic.) with SS case back."

As for expected value, I think Snoopy's indication is pretty much on the mark.

Cheers, Colin

Reference number: ST 136.0102
    Movement
    Caliber number: 1030
    Created in 1974
    17 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

Dial
    Metal, with luminous hour markers and luminous hands.

Crystal
    Armoured hesalite

Bracelet
    Leather

Water resistance
    30 meters

Case details
    Stainless steel
    Press-in
    Full metal
    Functions
    Date

More product information
    Case : 9,1 x 36 x 37,5 mm
    For leather strap of 18 mm lug-size
    International Collection : 1974-1975
    Swiss retail price (1975) : CHF 210.-
    Also available in 14K gold-plated (20 mic.) with SS case back, under ref. MD 136.0102 (CHF 250.-).
    Replaced former ref. ST 135.0017 and ST 136.0049

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    Hi Tom,
    Neil C would probably be the best person to answer this....watch can be dated easily by its serial number, to me it appears to be a bog standard geneve, 20 microns gold plate over a brass case (same for crown) probably from around the late 60's very early 70's, the $1 investment is a great one, in the uk they change hand son the bay for about £60 to £100 although the present condition of this one is not great, it could easily be improved upon.
    Snoopy
    What he said. :)

I had it at 1971.

Good catch by your cousin Tom. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Yeah. the sad thing is that he personally has no interest in it. He just wants to make a quick buck, which is dumb b/c it's not worth that much and he's not some pauper. He just wants to be able to say that he got it for $1 and sold it for $x, like a game.

I tried to tell him that anyone who bought it would have to service it and replace the crown, and that might affect what he gets, but hey you never know on Ebay. Some dope might decide to bid high on it.

I will forward all of this info and info I got on other forums to him and see what he wants to do. I wouldn't mind offering him a small something for it but I wouldn't want to over pay for something like that, considering that it needs some work and that he pretty much got it for free.

Why can't I find stuff like this for $1? :lol:

Thanks guys. ;-)