closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HELP NEEDED!

HELP NEEDED!

I just got this watch?

I need help, who made it, and what is it. I know it is WWII?that is it. It is made of alumininum as well. Thanks for the help!

Thanks!

John

I probably won't be of any help, John, sorry about that, but if possible, I would love to see the movement.

What does the little pusher do, is it for setting the time?

The little pusher looks like it's a pin-set movement, suggesting a re-cased pocket watch movement.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thanks guys, photo of the movement added!

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The little pusher looks like it's a pin-set movement, suggesting a re-cased pocket watch movement.

Eddie
    Looks like 'a recent' job too ... let's called it 'WWIII fashion antique'. :twisted:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Thomas Reid
    Interesting escapement, as it appears to have no pallet. Duplex (i.e., two escape wheels)?

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Or it could be well hidden. ;)
    RLF

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Interesting escapement, as it appears to have no pallet. Duplex (i.e., two escape wheels)?

Best wishes,
    Bob
    You got me looking :roll: ... it's a cylinder escapement. :D

john

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Looks like 'a recent' job too ...
    What makes you think so?

I'm not doubting your statement, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio
    Looks like 'a recent' job too ...
    What makes you think so?

I'm not doubting your statement, just curious.
    There are loads of them about on ebay.

john

I didn't get this one from ebay, it came out of one of my WWII groupings I just purchased, from the veterans estate. I get lots of watches when I purchase groupings.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    I didn't get this one from ebay, it came out of one of my WWII groupings I just purchased, from the veterans estate. I get lots of watches when I purchase groupings.
    Recased pocket watch, movement appears to be late 19th cent to early 20, no later then 1910, which would make it ww1, not 2, recent redial "wrong" hands, case appear original (but not to that watch)...but you know all this John....
    Snoopy

Thanks for the help...who is the maker? This is the first time I have come across this maker / marking and cannot find it in any book.

I cannot comment on the redial. It seems a majority of the watches I aquire from Veterans Groupings have been ovehauled in the 1970's.

Pccket watch movement I knew, case is common for WWII. This one truly has me stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    Recased pocket watch, movement appears to be late 19th cent to early 20, no later then 1910, which would make it ww1, not 2, recent redial "wrong" hands, case appear original (but not to that watch)...but you know all this John....
    Snoopy
    That dial is no more than 5-6 years old. Old-recasings excluded the seconds.

john

Thanks, this is information I need to know. Not original to the group, so there is no need for me to keep it.

Type A-11's, I have down pact. Recased PW's, I know abolutely nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    Snoopy
    That dial is no more than 5-6 years old. Old-recasings excluded the seconds.

john
    I think it is a very good re-case job ... I would change the crown and use the watch occasionally. I don't know how the cylinder would manage for daily wear and even if it kept good time now it would bring it that much closer to the eventual breakdown and probable problematic repair.

I am a great lover of cylinders and if it means putting them in well made cases such as this to give them a few years more of use, I am all for it and would salute anyone using it and keeping it going.

But after all, it was made for the pocket and not the wrist, so a certain amount of care and a good watchmaker at hand would be needed, as for any vintage item.

john

Thomas Reid
    I must have 15 or 20 pretty nice (4 or 5 are extremely nice) pin-set movements, all anchors, I believe. They are currently in the "someday, maybe" box. Now I know what to do with them. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Hey Bob,

I have been saying that for years! This is what happens! Now I have several hundred pocket watches, that metal box, and upright box are full of them, that I have no clue what to do with.

I appreciate all the help on the mystery watch!

John

Thomas Reid
    Hey Bob,

I have been saying that for years! This is what happens! Now I have several hundred pocket watches, that metal box, and upright box are full of them, that I have no clue what to do with.

I appreciate all the help on the mystery watch!

John
    Thanks for the warning/prediction. There is certainly a possibility of having more materials than time. I think that I've spent most of my watch related time in the last year organizing things, including tools.

I haven't been trying to get any pin-set movements, or, even, pocket watch movements, but sometimes they show up. I suspect that for pin-set movements the biggest problem is finding a suitable case, or altering a case.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    john[/quote]

I think it is a very good re-case job ... I would change the crown and use the watch occasionally. I don't know how the cylinder would manage for daily wear and even if it kept good time now it would bring it that much closer to the eventual breakdown and probable problematic repair.

I am a great lover of cylinders and if it means putting them in well made cases such as this to give them a few years more of use, I am all for it and would salute anyone using it and keeping it going.

But after all, it was made for the pocket and not the wrist, so a certain amount of care and a good watchmaker at hand would be needed, as for any vintage item.

john[/quote]

Good point John, the problem as I see it is, change the crown to what? The case is not old enough to warrant an older style crown, indeed I do think the crown case match well...to me the problem is the dial does not , neither do the hands. Change the hands for a more correct appearence and I think all else will fall into place. Also agree on the longevity point, but then most of us would use this watch how often? Once a month? It shoul, if in good nick now, last a lifetime with that kind of useage.
    Snoopy