closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Imports

Journeyman

Imports

Does anyone know if its true that its difficult to insure imported watches that have not had the VAT and duty paid? I don?t necessarily mean imported in a malicious way but if you were to buy a high end piece on holiday, and then casually stroll through 'nothing to declare' are there likely to be and repercussions further down the line?

Ed

Craftsman
    Ted,

It works like this....I know someone highish at Heathrow customs. And the procedure is always the same, although it has relaxed a bit due to terrorism etc.

You get spoted. There are people out there trained to do just this. If you paid for the watch via credit card even worse...don't belive all the mumbo jumbo about privacy and data protection and you may well not even get stopped if you paid this way as there is clear proof you bought it. So...you are spotted and perhaps even searched...nothing...you have posted the box say in New York back to your home addy...the second the box hits customs (they are looking for it by the way) bling, visit from customs and it wont be just the tax they will be looking for.

There is one way around this or two....box gets sent to a mate and paperwork to another, or they both disapear. If ever questioned about the watch.....a present to a good friend in the per say usa. And yes, similar to the one you are wearing. They have to prove it is the one you bought, wont happen.

As for insurance...get a snap of you wearing the watch plus a couple more in detail of the item itself. And make sure you keep a leaflet etc of its cost new....in case it goes missing insurance will want proof that A you had it B how much it costs, IE not that you necessarly paid for it as anyone can insure a gift.

Hope this helps, Snoopy

Journeyman
    To be honest I had not even considered getting stopped in customs, that place seems to be a complete waste of space as there is never anyone there! My Local AD did me an insurance valuation for my B-1 for a tenner so if I gent another for the imported one, plus a couple of wrist shots then I should be fine from an insurance point of view?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    You get spoted. There are people out there trained to do just this.
    Strange you should say that Snoops, the only time I ever got stopped at customs was the ONLY time EVER that I was over the limit with what I could bring in. :shock:

It wasn't something I'd bought either, something I'd been given. :shock: :shock:

How'd they know :?: :?

Ended amicably, no charge or confiscation but me being told not to do it again, when I explained. :)

Ed, there may not 'appear' to be anyone there - but they're watching you on screen.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold

they're watching you on screen.
    Yeh and probably reading this and tracing my ip address! :wink:

Blog Entries
    Bottom line

You pays your money etc

you take the chance of getting caught by customs,you take a chance on insurance valuation but a good AD if presented with tthe watch should be able to provide a valuation.

Thinking about insurance values how many of us on the forum/s buying expensive kit then insure it?and what do we use as the proof of purchase?

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Well if you are looking for a Swiss or German brand, why not buy within the EU and then you will not have to pay customs duties.

Journeyman
    Well I am looking at a swiss brand but getting it in Switzerland. Will save over £1200 on UK MSRP, but you dont get anything like those kind of savings within the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedd
    Well I am looking at a swiss brand but getting it in Switzerland. Will save over £1200 on UK MSRP, but you dont get anything like those kind of savings within the EU.
    Are you into skiing? Well, Austria (EU) is pretty close to Switzerland... We got mountains, they got mountains... sometimes we even share the same slopes... you know :o 8)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master
    It looks like if you buy a high-end watch yourself abroad and want to avoid import duty etc., you better pay cash, get rid of the box, mail yourself just the paperwork in a normal envelope, and wear the watch on a well-worn old strap while you walk through customs.

However, I think the original poster was more worried about how to insure an expensive watch he purchased from another WIS or had imported 'grey' like above. I.e. no invoice from an AD, so how to prove it's his and what the value is.
    One obvious solution would be to walk into the office of the local friendly insurance agent wearing the thing on your wrist. yeah, it's a (beep) watch, it's on your wrist and according to the catalogue or a watch magazine, it has a list price of (beep). Duly noted. Insurers won't give a damn if you actually paid VAT or not, whether it was a gift or whatever as long as they have sufficient proof you owned the article.

The alternative would be to avoid watches that are so expensive you feel the need to insure them and to be scared of customs officers (or of being mugged) while travelling... :wink: