closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any idea on this Zenith?

Master

Any idea on this Zenith?

Hi

I had sort of hijacked JCJM's thread about non-date Rolex Subs so thought it may be better to ask this is a new post.

I'm interested in one of these Zenith Subs - I know they were available in the mid-late 90's and came with an auto movement but not much more than that.

Just interested to know if they are available at all - usual searches haven't thrown anything up...

Anyone got any ideas on where to look or opinions on these (especially if you've actually had/got one)?? Also, how much might I expect to pay?

Cheers

Here's the pic (sorry Jeroen but I had to borrow the one from your post - hope that is OK, let me know if its not).

Master
    I can't tell you anything about that watch, except that I like it :) A nice mix of Submariner and 50Fathoms elements :)

Master
    The hands are a bit undernourished but, overall, I like it.

Master
    Hi

This is a Zenith Rainbow Diver Elite by the looks of it.

The black dial version seems to be the rarer and more difficult to find model and has the Zenith 26 jewel Elite 670 auto movement. The crystal is sapphire is WR to 200m. The case is 39mm and 9.5mm thick.

There does seem to be some 'pre-elite' versions of this watch, still with the Zenith auto movement, not sure what the calibre is though.

From what i have seen these watches seem to sell for £600-£700 in good condition.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers
    Martin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMW
    Hi

The black dial version seems to be the rarer and more difficult to find model and has the Zenith 26 jewel Elite 670 auto movement. The crystal is sapphire is WR to 200m. The case is 39mm and 9.5mm thick.

There does seem to be some 'pre-elite' versions of this watch, still with the Zenith auto movement, not sure what the calibre is though.

From what i have seen these watches seem to sell for £600-£700 in good condition.

Cheers
    Martin
    That's interesting as I have seen it in a Zenith Rainbow catalogue from the mid-90's. However, the ones that I've seen with the 'Elite' markings have the date in a different position (4.30) - that's why I thought they were two different items. Maybe not?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMW
    Hi

Cheers
    Martin
    That's interesting as I have seen it in a Zenith Rainbow catalogue from the mid-90's. However, the ones that I've seen with the 'Elite' markings have the date in a different position (4.30) - that's why I thought they were two different items. Maybe not?
    Your right , should have looked a bit closer, this is a pre elite model with the date at 3 rather than 4. I think the diameter is a little smaller on this one at 38mm and as i said earlier not sure about the details on the movement apart from it being an auto .

Cheers
    Martin

It is a pre-elite rainbow diver guys...

It is 38mm's diameter and 9mm thick and I must say it's one of my favourites.

Runs like the proverbial clockwork; nicely understated and can both be used as a dresswatch or as a diver's (nothing more than scuba diving...)

I agree the hands are a bit skinny but no SHS.

It was not Zenith's most favourable periode they used a fairly standard ETA 2892-2 movement as a stopgap measure untill their elite movement was ready.

Although the Elite movement is considered a better movement that version does not have such nice luminous markers (IMHO) and it complements this one quite nice in style

(sorry quick and dirty pic from the scanner)

as in the other thread shown it's a thin watch for a diver...
    good AR coating on the inside, very comfortable SEL bracelet with a hidden double butterfly clasp

Moneywise they're on par with the elite divers though the movement is more common this version is less found than the elite

Jeroen

Master
    I also cannot tell you much about the watch, however, Zeneth is an excellent watch and very reliable.

Journeyman
    Bambam

I can't add to what has been said about the ETA based model. However, having owned the Elite model, I would tend to describe it as a sports watch more than a diver. Which given that Zenith placed it within their Rainbow range would make sense. The 'Rainbow' being a yacht. The design of the watch is more 'elegance' than plain 'utility'. Narrow elegant hands and gloss dial, slim case excellent bracelet with hidden butterfly clasp. The only issue I had with the watch, was the bezel, which I found was nigh on impossible (with dry fingers) to turn as there was very little serration on the bezel edge.

I would definitely recommend searching out one. As has been said on the other thread the TAG Heuer Outlet at Bicester is worth calling as they seem to get a small supply of older Zeniths. They tend to be offered at about £700.

Also this may help http://anyboard.net/rec/WUS/index.html, but sod's law the link to the Elite model has no image.

Jeroen - nice DeLuca :D

Regards Kevin

Master
    Thanks and I absolutely agree - nice de Luca!!! 8)

I think not being able to turn the bezel would annoy me (in the extensive use it would get timing the parking meter etc.) - but maybe not that much. Does surprise me as the Zeniths I've had before have always been very functional. It looks more 'sport' than anything else but that is part of the appeal.

No luck at the outlet store this time round - so if anyone knows of one somewhere...

Cheers

Craftsman
    Zenith Rainbow with an ETA 2892, that replace by the Zenith Rainbow Elite

Dynamo