closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Pelagos - what are your thoughts?

Journeyman

Tudor Pelagos - what are your thoughts?

I must say that I'm thrilled about this watch. Ok, I would have preferred it in SS instead of titanium but hey, it looks mean! Whats not to like about this watch? At daytime the lume look as white as a smile in a Colgate commercial but as soon it gets a bit darker the lume transforms and starts glowing, I've tried to capture that in the pictures below.

My impression of this watch is that Tudor has made a future classic!

Iconic watch and great pics, very jealous

That's bloody lovely

Great photos - really show off the watch.

Banned
    Great photos.

I've had one and sold it to a friend. I am considering whether to re-acquire...

All I wonder is whether the retro styling will look daft in a few years?

I like it a lot.
    Would have been interesting in ss but I reckon I'd still prefer it in titanium.
    Agree about the lume appearance.

Don't like the OEM rubber much but love it on Isofrane,

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    I like it a lot.
    Would have been interesting in ss but I reckon I'd still prefer it in titanium.
    Agree about the lume appearance.

Don't like the OEM rubber much but love it on Isofrane,
    It gets another color in titanium, that I like, so I do prefer titanium but for a beater SS is a better choice against hairlines.

Regarding the rubber I'll have to say that I really like the original rubber since you attach it to the end links, but isofrane is always a great choice tho ;)

I'd rather have one of these over a new SubC or SD. It's on my list as my next purchase though I need to thin down the collection a little first.

I think that your photos are excellent, really lovely.

I really like the way the hour markers on the dial are recessed into the chapter ring. I feel a wtb coming on...

Great pictures! I love mine as well, wouldn't call it retro. Rather an up to date minimalistic diver with a nod to the past by using a handshape from an older model. Even the hands are full white, no metal or bling, pure function. End links fit nicely, even on the rubber, how great is that.
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 24th May 2014 at 12:46. Reason: typo

Great photos. I like this watch a lot, but not seen one in real life yet so need to try it for size. I hope they will be more widely available on UK in the Autumn.

Craftsman
    Im tentatively looking for an original snowflake based on this watch, I have a BB but love the simplicity of this model.

I didn't like the snowflake hands when I first saw the black bay, but they've grown on me a lot and now I think they look great. I'd be very happy to own a Pelagos

Journeyman
    Looks great on the iso.

Craftsman
    I love the Pelagos...am seriously considering consolidating my small collection for one tbh.

Master
    My daily wearer is a Pelagos. Absolutely fantastic watch, so comfortable and it looks great with the dark, warm titanium and Matt black face and bezel. And, I have never had a watch with a lume like this before!!!The only fault I would mention is that mine gains between 7 and 9 seconds per day and it's only a few months old. That annoys me a little, but I could always get it regulated. I suppose the trade off in having a watch which is half the price of a Rolex sub is that it's not got a Rolex engine. I think they will become very popular when they are widely available come the Autumn. And rightly so. Anybody thinking about trying one shouldn't hesitate to do so.

Tried one on a couple of weeks back,loved it,tried on a sub in the same shop and much preferred the pelagos

Master
    Miss mine, only sold to fund a couple of others and that was the first thing someone snapped off me.

Should love it, but don't.

Every feature and aspect of the watch, individually, I think is fantastic. Put it all together and for some reason it's less than the sum of it's parts and I'd rather any other snowflake, Black Bay, Prince or Rolex diver. Been trying to figure out what it is that makes it miss the mark, but I just can't get my head around why it is.

Journeyman
    How much of a deal is it that they use an ETA in this as opposed to Rolex and their in-house....obviously it affects the cost to manufacture and subsequently the price they retail at...but does it put people off who would otherwise prefer an in-house manufactured movement?
    I thing its a great piece, along with the BB, and I do think it would be great if Tudor could produce an in-house movement for these two - that would push the price up but by how much, and it would certainly ice the cake for me....

Uriel, you don't have to like it ;-). Perhaps because it is rather minimalistic and clean. No shiny parts on the hands, matt bezel, clean design. It leaves some cold. This is my least bling/jewellery like watch.
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 24th May 2014 at 17:15. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    How much of a deal is it that they use an ETA in this as opposed to Rolex and their in-house....
    Personal preference (as always) but the movement issue really doesn't bother me. It would probably be 'nicer' if Tudor had a proprietary movement, and smaller brands like Nomos have shown that it is clearly possible but it doesn't put me off purchasing. I wonder if Tudor will be affected by the limitation on sales of ETA movements? They may well end up having to create something in-house...

SGR

Journeyman
    Very nice, like it a lot, not sure on the original rubber but like the after market one, tempted to get one for my black bay

Journeyman
    Very good watch but quite boring.
    Also some might have some quality issues :/

Weird, it was boring but i miss mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Very good watch but quite boring.
    Funny, I think it makes the Rolex subs look quite boring in comparison to itself!

Love mine and I find it one of the most comfortable bracelets I've ever had.

Only issue I've found is that you pretty much only need to glance in its direction for it to pickup a scratch on the bracelet...anyone tried polishing it yet? What did you use and how was the result?

Really like and hope to try one on next week. I have titanium wedding ring and in some light it appears quite dark whilst brighter at other times. Whilst it picks up scratches it seems to suit them. It will be interesting to see how the Pelagos holds up to a few years of wear.

Love mine

Must try it on the rubber at some point, but I just love the bracelet.
    Last edited by andy tims; 10th June 2014 at 22:23.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Great photo's. I must say it looks rather good, especially at the price. I have a titanium watch, a Citizen ecodrive chrono, and it feels quite disconcerting on the wrist as it's so light. I don't know if this would feel the same, sometimes a bit of heft is good.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Great photo's. I must say it looks rather good, especially at the price. I have a titanium watch, a Citizen ecodrive chrono, and it feels quite disconcerting on the wrist as it's so light. I don't know if this would feel the same, sometimes a bit of heft is good.
    The Pelagos 170g! a Sub C is 201g :)

I love it! By far my favourite Tudor, as said above id take it over a sub! Could be my next purchase in a few years

You guys know how to make wonderful pictures...

I'm the lucky owner of a Pelagos and I'm really fond of it.
    And I like its Ti bracelet and case : they're comfortable and not too heavy, which is great for my tiny wrist.

Journeyman
    Very nice design. But, titanium. Deal breaker for me. Unfortunate.

Craftsman
    Exceptional photos here.

I have one on every day, it is extremely comfortable and functional.

Great watch, but the OP appears to be being attacked by a grass snake.

Thinking of my collection, the Pelagos possibly hits the dead centre, style & size wise. Perhaps I should stop messing about and consolidate...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Personal preference (as always) but the movement issue really doesn't bother me. It would probably be 'nicer' if Tudor had a proprietary movement, and smaller brands like Nomos have shown that it is clearly possible but it doesn't put me off purchasing. I wonder if Tudor will be affected by the limitation on sales of ETA movements? They may well end up having to create something in-house...

SGR
    I hope youre right but I cant see it, It seems to be often said that the movement is pretty much the reason for the price disparity between Tudor and Rolex. I can see the Tudor going back to its "Cheap Rolex" status when its picked up by Uk AD's later this year which is a real shame as they seem to be making a nice niche for themselves but how are the AD's going to sell it other than by using the "its made by rolex" line?

Master
    i really like the look of them, that dial is so crisp and i love the 3d nature of it.

i wish the watch was a bit bigger though, i wonder how much more popular it would be if it was larger.

Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    I can see the Tudor going back to its "Cheap Rolex" status when its picked up by Uk AD's later this year which is a real shame as they seem to be making a nice niche for themselves but how are the AD's going to sell it other than by using the "its made by rolex" line?
    It'll be a shame if they do, as it will be like the Boxster vs 911 thing.

People may well be put off buying a Tudor if it's seen as the watch for people that can't afford a Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Funny, I think it makes the Rolex subs look quite boring in comparison to itself!
    They are This is so much nicer.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    I bought one in Paris a few months ago.

I had been wanting a watch that I could wear anywhere and at pretty much anytime since I had to let my 14060 go as part of a few sell offs to fund another watch. I was left with a bit of hole in my collection - I wanted something that when I am in the himalayas or south america would go under the radar and not shout Rolex. It also had to be waterproof and not so expensive that I would mind dings and scratches - indeed, I would be happy to acquire them in order that this watch would age with me. A rolex sub, sd or gmt therefore became out of the question - to expensive (see above) and too obviously rolex (again, see above!). I was pretty much resolving to get a second hand Bremont or possibly a Glycine at the cheaper end. I thought about the Pelagos for months - I tried it along with the BB when they came out and didn't like it. Much for some of the reasons that have been commented on above, i.e. a bit cold looking. Then, as I had the chance to try it on again and again I found it really growing on me. The reason I didn't particularly like it at the beginning started to become the reason I really liked it - it is clean and minimalist. The snowflake hand is great and distinctive, the lume is indeed incredible and the titanium makes it different to the Rolex big brothers. 42mm is perfect from my perspective. Again, it differentiates it and with the titanium slightly smokey look to it along with lighter weight is very comfortable to wear.

I've tried it on the rubber. In fact it is on it now, but I will go back to the bracelet which is design genius!

All told, give it time, it will grow on you I suspect if you're not a current admirer but if not, move along! For me, it ticked each of the boxes. Better still, having sold the 14060 it gives me scope to search out the perfect 15513 in due course ;)

A very nice watch, I think Tudor have made a great come back, I particularly love the double AR coating on the pelagos.
    Chrono blue on the nato comes closely behind..

But... When I buy watches, brand does matter (just my opinion!) so.. the SubC is higher in the list compared to the pelagos for me. Hopefully, I can afford to buy this a tudor as an occasional watch soon!

Added the chrono blue for everyone to appreciate!!

P.S. any know much about the new Tudors movements??

ETA with some changes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by donkii View Post
    The Pelagos 170g! a Sub C is 201g :)
    I stand corrected. I was just going off my (limited) experience of ti watches. Until Tudor open in the UK, I am unlikely to be able to even try one on, which is a shame as it does look nice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    i really like the look of them, that dial is so crisp and i love the 3d nature of it.

i wish the watch was a bit bigger though, i wonder how much more popular it would be if it was larger.
    Trust me, I have a DSSD and a Panerai. My wrists are around 7 3/4 inches and I have never looked at my Pelagos and thought it too small.

Not sure it's earned the right to be "iconic" just yet, but it's certainly a handsome watch, so it might one day, even if it is, really, just "another Sub lookalike".

I find it a bit dull, personally, although I tried to love it as I wanted another Titanium watch.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    A great watch for the money and looks awesome in the photos but whenever I've seen them in the flesh, they don't look as good and the design appears clumsy. The Black Bay for me is the better design and looks more refined.

Enjoy your watch nevertheless.

Journeyman

Seriously cool diver that shows what the brand Tudor could become.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Great pictures! I love mine as well, wouldn't call it retro. Rather an up to date minimalistic diver with a nod to the past by using a handshape from an older model. Even the hands are full white, no metal or bling, pure function. End links fit nicely, even on the rubber, how great is that.
    +1 on this one. In my opinion the Blackbay is rather retro in design, not this one though.

Seriously cool diver that shows what the brand Tudor could become.
    Best regards Rasmus

I bought mine three weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. Perfect size, not too heavy, the dial is a beautifully clear and I really like the ceramic bezel - not too shiny, which puts me off the Rolex C watches.

I'm going to give it a try on the rubber now, but I've not wanted to wear anything else since I got it.

Great design, but I missed the heft of steel when I tried it on. Also that "self winding rotor" text needs to go