closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: T-SAR Battery change

Master

T-SAR Battery change

Hi

my T-SAR June 2005 edition just stopped working, now I have to take it to a watchmaker to get the battery replaced.

Now I'm wondering if I need to get it pressure tested afterwards to ensure the water resistance is still intact.

I'm not going scubadiving with it, but I am going swimming, will this be ok?

Cheers
    Thomas

Craftsman
    Always get a watch pressure tested if you intend on getting it wet.
    Cheap insurance for peace of mind.

P.S. A reputable watchmaker would not offer the battery change without a pressure check. ;)

J.

Not wanting to be contrary, but I was told that there was no need for pressure testing for a T-SAR. And that came from someone at Countycomm. Were they fibbing?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by raygun
    Not wanting to be contrary, but I was told that there was no need for pressure testing for a T-SAR. And that came from someone at Countycomm. Were they fibbing?
    Not so much fibbing, rather mis informed. Every main dealer of reputable watches will service one, replace all gaskets and then pressure test it. A t sar still has gaskets the perish. For the cost and peace of mind, always pressure test !
    Snoopy

What's the battery for the TSAR? I thought I have read somewhere that it goes for 4 years.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    A TSAR should use a SR927SW or #395 battery. These should last at least 38 months. If it starts to get shorter than this, the movement needs to get cleaned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    A TSAR should use a SR927SW or #395 battery. These should last at least 38 months. If it starts to get shorter than this, the movement needs to get cleaned.
    38 Months :shock:

Could it be some else than a flat battery?

Thomas

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Thomas
    Thomas,
    Don't sweat the battery life if this is your first change, it's hugely "variable".
    There's nothing wrong with your very high quality TSAR, just get the battery
    changed by a reputable watchmaker. i.e. run like hell away from the local mall kiosk :P

P.S. Keep Lysander's comment in mind as the years go by.

J.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Thomas
    If a new battery does not last at least 38 months (according to the movement manufacturer) it is an indication that the movement has gotten dirty, or the oil has dried up and it is requiring more current to operate the hands.

The battery the watch came with is the exception, you don't know how long that one has been sitting in storage slowly going dead.

Battery manufacturers must have lots of batteries approaching the end of their shelf life and I've often thought that they sell them at a huge discount to watch manufacturers for fitting in new watches. The life of a battery in a new watch is often less than you expect.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Thanks to all for your help.

Got a new battery today and a pressure test, which it passed.

Hope its a battery that hasn't been on the shelf too long.

But anyway its running fine again 8)

Cheers
    Thomas

Just beamed back into the forum, and taking the (mis)advice I was given on board - and showing considerable naivety - where did you get your T-SAR pressure tested? I'll have to get my battery changed out soon and forewarned is forearmed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raygun
    Just beamed back into the forum, and taking the (mis)advice I was given on board - and showing considerable naivety - where did you get your T-SAR pressure tested? I'll have to get my battery changed out soon and forewarned is forearmed.
    Went in to a reputable watchmaker i Copenhagen and told them I wanted at new battery and a pressure test, took about an hour or so.

Thomas