closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about quitting the drink

Thinking about quitting the drink

I've been thinking for some time now about quitting the drink and, having read in other threads that a few members here have done the same, I thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

Since my eldest was born almost 11 years ago we've maybe had a dozen nights out max and I think I've only been what would qualify as drunk twice in that time. Neither of our kids have ever seen either of us drunk. And it's the fact that I don't drink to get drunk that got me thinking - so what's the point?

I won't lie I do enjoy a few beers for relaxation purposes and I really enjoy trying new and different beers. I also love a Jack Daniels and coke - but it all comes with consequences now. I have suffered from a sensitive stomach wall for twenty years (symptoms are that of a stomach ulcer) and, although drinking hasn't been an issue I couldn't manage to this point, it is having more of an effect these days. I'm also finding that even a couple of bottles of beer now give me a crashing headache in the morning. And the wife tells me I snore like nobody's business when I've had even just a couple.

Last night I had two bottles of Kronenbourg watching the match and then woke up this morning with stomach symptoms and the mother of all headaches that has taken 7 hours and some drugs to clear. So back to my earlier question - what's the point?

I guess like a smoker who quits and doesn't know what to do with their hands, I'm worried about what I'll do when I'm watching the match and how I'll do it when we see friends etc. For example the World Cup is a couple of weeks away and I'd expect to have mates round for the match and a few beers.

Can anyone who has quit give me their experiences please? I feel it's a huge life decision and once I've made it I don't want to go back. Some will think this is a trivial post and I understand why when there are far more troubling issues in the world but drinking socially has been part of who I am for 25 years so changing that element of who I am feels like a big deal.

Thanks for your tolerance

David

I didnt drink for 12 years , nowadays I enjoy the odd beer or glass of wine or maybe even two but rarely get drunk. Everyone is different though. From the tone of your post you obviously have good reasons for stopping.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I very rarely drink - maybe every couple of months. I like JD too.

If I drink 1 to 3 beers I feel cloudy headed the next day - if I drink 7 to 8 it's the same - more and I'd be cloudy with a bad head for a few hours.

If I drink JD, I have the same cloudy head the next day, but as long as I stick to diet coke, and usually caffeine free variety, I never get a true hang over.

So... Social drinking on a small few beers/shots scale is not worth the effects for me. And only on special, occasions or an organised night out will I drink - although it does mean I have to put up with drunken family and friends on an almost weekly basis in my sober state.
    It's just a matter of time...

I can't relate directly as I have never had a drink (father was alcoholic, which put me off it for life), but as a non drinker always surrounded by drinkers in social situations, the most annoying thing to deal with is the pressure from them. I've been used to it my entire life, but I could see just how difficult it could be for someone trying to quit to withstand the jokes, offers and even insults because you're happy to sit with a coke with no alcohol in it. It's fascinating how often someone will make it their "mission" to convince you to have a drink; usually the drunkest person in the room.

Master
    I've been sober now for almost 11 years and I will never go back but to me, you don't sound like someone with a drinking problem. It's a big commitment and took me almost 10 years before I arrived at the point where I needed to seek help and stop boozing. I miss it every week but that's just something I have accepted, and I most definitely lost out on social circles and old mates who I used to get drunk with. My life is richer and I am more balanced and healthier, without a doubt. At the end of the day only you hold the magic wand mate, as cheesy at that sounds, and if at this time in your life you want to stop, then give it a go, but take your time and get support if you need to. It's not easy mate but it is worth it. The first few years for me were the hardest and now it's just my life, and I avoid situations where heavy drinking is involved. It's overrated and the scourge of contemporary society in my opinion and more people are dependent than they would like to admit. You can see it a lot quicker when you stop and the cost on our services every week is colossal. Lastly, what are you really missing? In my opinion, sweet FA!!!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I can't relate directly as I have never had a drink (father was alcoholic, which put me off it for life), but as a non drinker always surrounded by drinkers in social situations, the most annoying thing to deal with is the pressure from them. I've been used to it my entire life, but I could see just how difficult it could be for someone trying to quit to withstand the jokes, offers and even insults because you're happy to sit with a coke with no alcohol in it. It's fascinating how often someone will make it their "mission" to convince you to have a drink; usually the drunkest person in the room.
    Exactly right. So called 'social drinkers' can be very threatened by the presence of a non drinker , even to an unreasonable extent.
    Last edited by seikopath; 31st May 2014 at 14:08.

sounds to me you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself, turning yourself into an alcoholic when you're not.

Why not just choose not to drink on a day to day basis, rather than telling yourself you can never drink again.

Tbh if a banging headache for 7 hours after only a couple beers hasn't stopped you drinking, then I can't see you staying off it permanently.

but giving alcohol free beers/wines a go would probably go part of the way to get over the social aspect of not "drinking", and make the gap between when you do drink that bit longer.

Master
    I have been dry since 2002. Prior to that I enjoyed drink to the extent I suspect I had a bit of a problem (think of the weekly recommended limit, but consumed daily - every day).
    That year I had some major operations, some went wrong, and for 4 years I was on dihydrocodein in industrial quantities. So along with zopiclone, I decided I did not want alcohol in the mix and just stopped. It was never a problem, and now I have no intention of going back to drinking. Indeed I do wish that I had stopped much earlier.

Having said about the amount I used to drink, before something like the Nice World Championships Triathlon, or before a marathon, I would stop all alcohol for 2 to 3 months - so perhaps I just enjoyed drinking!!

Wow, some pretty powerful comments so far - many thanks. In my life I tend to be an all-or-nothing type of person which I guess made me go down the road of thinking I can either be a drinker or not - no middle ground. I know that I don't drink that much and don't remotely have a problem, I just wondered whether I should just pack in all-together.

A couple of your comments have really made me think about choosing a drink that doesn't give me such severe symptoms, sticking to just that drink and having a drink less often. When that drink isn't available, then I can have a soft drink.

That's quite a shift for me actually. I feel that in social situations I could say "sorry I only drink X so I'll have a coke please".

Food for thought.

David

I haven't had a drop since February 12th 2012. I love it. I'd drank and got pissed a lot before then. Now, as noted above, some old soaks seem very suspicious of a non drinker and seem determined to get me to take just one. I am not interested. Do what you want for you and screw everyone else.
    Gray

If you don't enjoy it, surely there's no point (I don't smoke, for that very reason)?

I did the "Dry-Athlon" for charity in January, but I like a beer now and then or a Rum or a Whisky and a glass of wine with dinner sometimes.

I rarely get drunk and never drink with that as the aim, but I like the taste of beer (I hate most soft drinks, too, so my options at a pub are a little limited) so I would miss that if I gave up altogether, but if I had health issues that would be mitigated by giving up, I would.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I was a heavy drinker for over 30 years, but around 2007 I gave up going to the pub. I was sick of the same old faces, telling the same old stories. I still drank at home, but it didn't take long to notice the difference in my health (and my wallet) and in 2009 I gave up all together. I've never once missed it and only wish I'd done it sooner.

I also have a rule - I have never had an alcoholic drink alone in my life, and never tend to - so drinking at home after a hard day at work has never been a habit for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Slightly different approach, but have you tried the German beers or other imported types?
    You'll generally find the additives in British brewed beer can affect you in some way even if it's only a couple.
    My Brother in law would always suffer the morning after even if,like you, he'd only had two or three. He worked in Germany where the beer contents are strictly natural and controlled for a number of years and never suffered unless he'd gone way over the top.
    He'd swear by a Paulaner or Krombacher and still gets them( try Lidl or Aldi) if he has a drink.

I don't drink on a "school night", but I make up for it at the weekend. But then, I live in Newcastle and that's our culture, which must be respected.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I don't drink on a "school night", but I make up for it at the weekend. But then, I live in Newcastle and that's our culture, which must be respected.
    That's exactly what I do, though I try to avoid beer and now prefer wine.

Also lost some weight after knocking beer on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've been thinking for some time now about quitting the drink and, having read in other threads that a few members here have done the same, I thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

Since my eldest was born almost 11 years ago we've maybe had a dozen nights out max and I think I've only been what would qualify as drunk twice in that time. Neither of our kids have ever seen either of us drunk. And it's the fact that I don't drink to get drunk that got me thinking - so what's the point?

I won't lie I do enjoy a few beers for relaxation purposes and I really enjoy trying new and different beers. I also love a Jack Daniels and coke - but it all comes with consequences now. I have suffered from a sensitive stomach wall for twenty years (symptoms are that of a stomach ulcer) and, although drinking hasn't been an issue I couldn't manage to this point, it is having more of an effect these days. I'm also finding that even a couple of bottles of beer now give me a crashing headache in the morning. And the wife tells me I snore like nobody's business when I've had even just a couple.

Last night I had two bottles of Kronenbourg watching the match and then woke up this morning with stomach symptoms and the mother of all headaches that has taken 7 hours and some drugs to clear. So back to my earlier question - what's the point?

I guess like a smoker who quits and doesn't know what to do with their hands, I'm worried about what I'll do when I'm watching the match and how I'll do it when we see friends etc. For example the World Cup is a couple of weeks away and I'd expect to have mates round for the match and a few beers.

Can anyone who has quit give me their experiences please? I feel it's a huge life decision and once I've made it I don't want to go back. Some will think this is a trivial post and I understand why when there are far more troubling issues in the world but drinking socially has been part of who I am for 25 years so changing that element of who I am feels like a big deal.

David

You have not mentioned whether you have sought advice from your GP regarding the stomach discomfort. Any long term stomach reflux symptoms similar to those you describe should be diagnosed properly because they could be indicative of several conditions. Regarding how to cope socially - you might consider telling your mates that you no longer need to drink alcohol and that you feel much better for quitting. If you need something to taste when watching football on TV you might consider trying Tesco dried pineapple (find it with their speciality cereals and gluten free / well being foods) - it's really tasty (more so than fresh pineapple), has no added sugar, and is also a digestive aid. And a couple of pieces chewed/sucked last longer than a drink.

Good luck

dunk

Banned
    I think your body is not happy about the little bit you do have, so with that in mind I would give up as it looks like you get a raw deal with the upset stomach and headaches afterwards.

Master
    If you remove your stress, you will lessen the need for a drink to "relax". I semi-retired a few years ago, lost the stress and now have the odd one or two drinks occasionally. My "nervous stomach" only reappears during stressful times ( ie. family bereavement etc.).
    Mike

Master
    Why not just stop for say 2 weeks and see how you feel at the end.
    If your symptoms have stopped, then you know what to do next.

Pete

Master
    I used to like a drink when I was younger from 17 to early twenties I would drink at least 6 nights a week and at least 3 lunchtime sessions which could easily roll in to the evening, I lived at home and earnt ok money but it all went on drink and gambling.
    I had a very frank talk with an ex one day when I happened to be sober and didn't realise what I had become, I got some help and went dry for over 6 months, but since then it's been moderation all the way.
    A few years later I discovered that a lot of ales and lagers contain ingredients I have am allergy to, and what I had always taken as a hangover was actually my body fighting the allergen.
    I now drink cider or soft drinks in the pub, and my new love is alcohol free cider, I can keep up with my mates but without the alcohol.
    I also don't drink at home, I've had a bottle of jd and a nice bottle of vodka on the worktop for about a year after being given them, I know if I open one at home I'd keep going until it was empty, some days it's hard to resist but the following day I'm glad I didn't open it.
    Another thing if I feel down etc then I will not drink alcohol as it will go down hill fast.

Journeyman
    I stopped alcohol a good while ago, it happened gradually, but now I don't drink at all and haven't for a long time. It got to the point where I went several weeks without a drink, the I'd have one, just one, at the weekend, and I felt terrible the next day. So now I don't.

You most likely already know, but it's worth mentioning, your liver plays a central role in processing carbohydrates and fat, so if you chuck a load of alcohol at it it's going to have a tough job keeping up and you'll put weight on in all the wrong places.

My motto is everything in moderation, nothing to excess. But if you have a vice where you can't guarantee the latter or you have health issues that mean better to avoid, then it makes sense to abstain. I rarely drink alcohol, no longer like the stuff, much prefer earl grey tea or water. I don't really see the issue.

I reduced my alcohol intake a lot 4 years who when my eldest was born as I couldnt take early mornings and a dull head. Just over a year ago I suffered a brain injury from a road accident and was forced to be teetotal.
    I love it and couldn't face drinking alcohol. I find the concept a bit odd and would probably not like the taste. I have a great time socially and still go to the pub with mates I just stay dry. I feel much healthier and I'm a gym bunny so I don't have to deal with tonnes of excess calories that have zero positive effect on your body.

Definetly try it, but commit to 6 months to do it properly. I would be surprised if you drink after.

Ij0jij
    Last edited by scalino65; 31st May 2014 at 17:46.

Blog Entries
    I don't drink midweek, as I drive for a living and take that very seriously. I will have the odd glass of red with a nice meal, where it would complement, but that's all. Very rare, midweek, I may have one drink Monday to Friday.

Come the weekend, I do like a drink, but rarely go out. I had 3/4 large rum and cokes last night, and really enjoyed them. I also have a passion for single malt whiskey, but only on average a couple of drams a week.

So all in moderation really. If you add my units up, they don't come to much in general. So I don't feel the urge to stop... I look forward to winding down with one.

My problem with drinking is social drinking. Many places are full of idiots who have drunk too much. And also, it's hard work having a few and getting home.. I simply like having a handful, then knowing that my bed is upstairs. I see enough situations where people have got into fights and end up in states.

I guess it is all about how you feel. One drink to me doesn't even register on a Saturday morning, my head is fine. If I did suffer, I'd knock it on the head I guess.

Good luck if you go that way, can't be bad for you, though perhaps when the World Cup is over?? Are you the type of 'lucky' person who would stop drinking before the tournament, then see us get to the final where you enjoy the game with a nice 'cuppa!?' I am!!

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post

Come the weekend, I do like a drink, but rarely go out. I had 3/4 large rum and cokes last night, and really enjoyed them. I also have a passion for single malt whiskey, but only on average a couple of drams a week.

Good luck if you go that way, can't be bad for you, though perhaps when the World Cup is over?? Are you the type of 'lucky' person who would stop drinking before the tournament, then see us get to the final where you enjoy the game with a nice 'cuppa!?' I am!!
    I could have two or three JD and cokes and not feel the effect next day so I'm starting to think the guys who have talked about the ingredients in beer/lager not agreeing with me might well be right.

I wouldn't consider myself a lucky person and I really don't think anything I might do will make England world champions!

I'm going to cut out the beer and lager for a couple of months and see what happens then the way forward might be obvious.

Banned
    Don't see what all the fuss is about.

An Indian meal gives me the shits. I still have them, but could do without.

Unless you're an alchy (which you ain't) just stop.

I did, three years ago. No biggie.

899 days sober for me. You find out who your real friends are when you stop!

I have never entertained the idea of giving up altogether and I really hope I never have to as I do enjoy beer (perhaps because I don't drink often).
    When I do have occasion to imbibe I usually have a few and, since I discovered Resolve, many years ago, I have never had a hangover worthy of mention (so far)
    (I've found that one Resolve, or similar, before bed and one in the morning works for me)

David
    I physically had to stop while the NHS took over 18-months to fix a basic kidney problem (repairing damage from 3x previous operations)
    Don't need it now - so I drink Coca Cola when I'm out.

One of the reasons I don't miss it, or need it, is that I have had my fair share of beers in the past (and a bit more)
    You need to have no regrets.
    The weird thing is - if you miss it, you are probably an alcoholic and should stop.
    And if you don't miss it or crave it, you don't need it anyway.

I am in Morpeth if you want to meet up and have a chat.
    PM me if required.

I have been through phases of light drinking to reasonably heavy drinking all my adult life. I also have type 1 diabetes which has been controlled by insulin injections for 50 years.

As of next month I am starting a new insulin regime in the form of an insulin pump, meaning that I will have a permanently attached pump which delivers quick acting insulin 24/7 as opposed to my current regime of two injections of long acting insulin and several (3-5) injections of short acting every 24 hour period.

I will be using this change to start a total alcohol free period of my life. Alcohol has a powerful effect on sugar levels so it's time to stop. I suggest that if you have health issues and alcohol mucks you about, then knock it on the head.

Keep us posted how you get on.

Master
    For me it's not a question of being drunk or sober... they are two extremes of the same scale.
    I don't deny the mellowing effects of a couple of drinks but I do not like being "drunk".
    To abstain completely from anything alcoholic, is to abstain from a range of pleasures.
    I actually enjoy the taste of beer, wine & brandy. As I enjoy the taste of steak, lobster & beans on toast.
    Everything in moderation, enjoy everything this world has to offer, but - as ever, guard against excess.

Journeyman
    Nothing wrong with watching a match with a cuppa, even if your friends are having a beer

Master
    Have you tried drinking a good amount if water when you have a drink?
    I always find that it will make a big difference to whether I snore, and how I feel the following morning - without it, I am not good the next day.
    I can either just drink water alongside beer, spirits or a full pint before going to bed - that does present other problems though :)

Master
    I could have two or three JD and cokes and not feel the effect next day so I'm starting to think the guys who have talked about the ingredients in beer/lager not agreeing with me might well be right.
    Google "alcohol congeners". Interestingly, on this page http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20712591

The few experimental studies indicate that the highest congener beverage (bourbon) results in more severe hangover ratings than does the beverage with essentially no congeners (vodka)
    Maybe JD isn't the drink for you?

Equally, if you feel so inclined, why not knock it on the head?

For me, the fact that you even wrote this post suggest you have a less than comfortable relationship with alcohol.

If you are having to think about not having a drink something isn't quite right.

It should be easy to have no alcohol for a few weeks unless you're out at night with friends and colleagues. There is no pressure at home.

Just stop drinking for a while and if you find it hard, or never get round to it you've found your answer.

Good luck. Although not in the same league, I buried my father a year and a half ago. He died after a life long battle against the bottle. I saw him sober less than 20 times in my life.

I wish you all the best.

Master
    Not sure this is the point of this thread. The OP doesn't have a drinking problem, but upon the occasions he does drink even a little, it reacts badly with him.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    For me, the fact that you even wrote this post suggest you have a less than comfortable relationship with alcohol.

If you are having to think about not having a drink something isn't quite right.

It should be easy to have no alcohol for a few weeks unless you're out at night with friends and colleagues. There is no pressure at home.

Just stop drinking for a while and if you find it hard, or never get round to it you've found your answer.

Good luck. Although not in the same league, I buried my father a year and a half ago. He died after a life long battle against the bottle. I saw him sober less than 20 times in my life.

I wish you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Not sure this is the point of this thread. The OP doesn't have a drinking problem, but upon the occasions he does drink even a little, it reacts badly with him.
    We have someone who's drinking most days and has gone to the effort of making a post about possibly giving up.

That's not normal in my book. I admit, I may be oversensitive, but it rings my alarm bells.

We have someone who's drinking most days and has gone to the effort of making a post about possibly giving up.

That's not normal in my book. I admit, I may be oversensitive, but it rings my alarm bells.
    Hi - thanks for your concern and your sensitivity. I have to say though that you have mis-read / mis-interpreted the point of my post. I don't drink most days and never said that. I don't have a problem with alcohol and never have had. There are no alarm bells to be rung.

And that is the point of my post. I drink so little and so infrequently that I'm questioning the point of doing it at all. I live a very normal, boring, suburban life where I maybe have a couple of drink on a Saturday night and when there's a game on TV I'm interested in. I drink less than anyone else I know. Believe me, I'm so boring. Plus I'm finding I'm having more reaction than before - possibly because I don't drink very often.

I do understand from what you've said about your father why you've reacted the way you have and it's great to know that there are members here who would look out for that in what people write.

Many thanks,

David

Just give it up if its having that effect on you David.

I used to love a drink, usually a couple of beers with Whisky chasers most days but whilst having a health check the Doc said I had a borderline fatty liver and although he stressed it may be nothing to do with alcohol I packed it in immediately and that was 18 months ago.

TBH I don't feel any different and have lost no weight but I knew it was the right thing to do.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Did you read the OP's first post? As that's not what he said at all.

Craftsman
    I quit drinking last year, and it's the best thing I ever did. Drinking is just not worth it at all, in my opinion, as I get horribly hung-over and poor from it, no matter how delicious the drink is and how careful I am. I also had an alcoholic dad that really illustrated for me how destructive and stupid alcohol really is by letting it destroy most of my childhood. I simply don't see any pros to drinking anymore, and I don't understand the ones who do.

Blog Entries
    I like a "drink" and have tried all the juices, soda's, water fizzy, water still with and without lemon, lime etc and I still prefer in the evening to sit down and have a couple of beers its a taste thing I also do not get the next morning afters. I see no point in getting drunk and out of control and if I thought it was harming my health then it would stop as did the smoking many moons ago. To the OP if your having after affects then quit and certainly if after a couple of beers in an evening your waking up the way you describe then certainly quit and as to social situations just switch you can watch footie with a Coke.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I don't drink when working abroad as a) it's hard to obtain and b) I don't feel comfortable having alchohol in front of non-drinkers. I don't particularly miss it then and am coming to the conclusion that I'll stop drinking at home for a while & see how that goes.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    I quit drinking last year, and it's the best thing I ever did. Drinking is just not worth it at all, in my opinion, as I get horribly hung-over and poor from it, no matter how delicious the drink is and how careful I am. I also had an alcoholic dad that really illustrated for me how destructive and stupid alcohol really is by letting it destroy most of my childhood. I simply don't see any pros to drinking anymore, and I don't understand the ones who do.
    Are we brothers? Because this mirrors my exact upbringing and current thought on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    Those who get sloshed every weekend are just as alcohol dependent as those who drink every day. But few would admit to having a drink problem. I've seen so many people's lives ruined by 'the booze' and I have attended AA 'open meetings' (where friends and family were allowed to attend) with an alcohol dependent girlfriend. The first time I went was a real eye opener i.e. hearing how alcoholics' lives had been ruined - their health, wealth and relationships. I recall one man who was in tears as he related his experiences - and who ended his story with his hands clasped in prayer, with eyes closed, thanking God for the AA facility and praying so hard for strength to keep off the booze. My neighbour has not worked for over 3 years because of his booze problem. I've lost count of the number of times i've helped him up onto his feet when he has fallen out of a taxi - after the pub had called a cab and sent him home. He's off the booze now but he's as thin as a rake and has mobility problems - can't walk properly - walks as if he is climbing stairs - knees up and flat footed. He's very lucky to still to have a wife to support him. A close friend died from total organ failure caused by alcohol poisoning - he drank at least one bottle of whisky plus several cans of lager every day. He thought he could handle his drink but it caught up with him and he had a series of mini strokes which left him immobile and electric scooter dependent - to get to the off licence every day. He had a terrible death - organ failure was agonising for him. Nearly all his friends abandoned him after his boozing became really excessive - after his wife's death. He then bought pets - dogs he could not exercise - and a parrot which died from smoke inhalation … he also smoked over 60 fags a day.

There is a thin line between alcohol dependency and non-dependency ... but our bodies can tell us when we have overdone 'the juice' and when it's time to cut back or quit.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I know how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I also have a rule - I have never had an alcoholic drink alone in my life, and never tend to - so drinking at home after a hard day at work has never been a habit for me.
    That's always been my rule for spliffs

II don't drink during the week during the week anymore and have cutout "the odd pint" which used to add up to quite a few over a week. I drink once a fortnight now but still have a fair bit when I do. I've been drinking since I was 16 and am now 33 and for some reason find it hard to cut out the drinks on a night out or when going out for dinner, even if it's just one or two drinks. Wife hates me drinking as we're Muslim so it's a big no. I really want to cut it out because I feel the need to drink on social situations rather than I drink too much.