closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Summer Hols 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just got back from San Sebastián and Bilbao (very nice)
    Have five kid free days at lame Como July and then two weeks in France and Switzerland with mrs Wolf and the cubs as well as massed ranks of cousins etc in August

Love a good holiday me!!!
    Went to Bilbao last year and was really impressed, a very under rated city

How was San Sebastian? We didn't get the chance to visit frustratingly.

First full family holiday: Lanzarote Kids Village....God help me!

Just came back from a weeks all inclusive in Crete, followed by three days at the Intercontinental in Berlin. Off for 5 weeks to Cyprus for the summer and cannot wait.

Master
    6 month sabbatical signed off for both me and the Mrs so: Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and anywhere we fancy in between! To top it all off, permission granted to take the mountain bike with me......happy days :-)

Craftsman
    Going to Cavtat in Croatia in a couple of weeks time. We love Croatia, partly because hordes of Brits don't go there. Maybe the Canaries or Austria in January.

Marrakech, first time away without kids for a proper holiday rather than a city break
    And

Just booked 10 days in Turkey, Side to be precise.

Have been before but later in the year which I found too hot and humid so hopefully won't be too unpleasant in June. Great place to visit, very cheap when you are there and very friendly people.

Oh, also not taking the kids so billy bonus all round :)

Somewhere in Spain this year for us. :)

South of France for us also - one of the few places where you're virtually guaranteed sun for under £2k for a family of 4 (from Scotland). [Unless you camp, which we don't.]

Back to Gozo in August for two weeks.
    Everything about the place demands relaxation. Tied in with great food, decent wine and excellent diving makes it a great holiday for us.

Master
    Family wedding I Waterford then a week in the west coast of Ireland - waterproofs at the ready!!!

Busy year here:

Berlin for Easter, 10 days in Gran Canaria in August then the obligatory week in Venice at Christmas!!

Master
    Lake Garda in Italy - going back to the same place we went to last year....so we can complete all the things we'd planned to do but never got around to

Craftsman
    Taking the yacht round the Med.
    Well, not all the way around, just the nice bits...

Fly out to Vegas end of July and then drive down to Anaheim the following week.....

Oh, and a long weekend in Leeds next week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Went to Bilbao last year and was really impressed, a very under rated city

How was San Sebastian? We didn't get the chance to visit frustratingly.
    Agreed on the Bilbao front... Cracking city... I stayed on the old town and we had a great time (impressed!)

Don't want to frustrate you further Senwar, but, San Sebastián is a fair bit nicer! Lots and lots of Pinxtos bars and the most amazing sandy beach in one of the most stunning settings you could imagine

If you need a nice address I can massively recommend a huge appartment (3 bed) that was 130euros a night right in the centre of it all...

To anybody thinking about it, I'd have to say that San Sebastián is probably my favourite European town (been 3 times already and have promised to take my mum for her 70th next year!)

Ben

Agreed on the Bilbao front... Cracking city... I stayed on the old town and we had a great time (impressed!)

Don't want to frustrate you further Senwar, but, San Sebastián is a fair bit nicer! Lots and lots of Pinxtos bars and the most amazing sandy beach in one of the most stunning settings you could imagine

If you need a nice address I can massively recommend a huge appartment (3 bed) that was 130euros a night right in the centre of it all...

To anybody thinking about it, I'd have to say that San Sebastián is probably my favourite European town (been 3 times already and have promised to take my mum for her 70th next year!)

Ben
    Thanks Ben. Would be interested in the info on the apartment at some point as I think we'll go back over next year to be honest. Also stayed in Bilbao old town and thought it was brilliant. Never seen as many bars just appear and open up at night.

We were advised San Sebastian was a lovely place and had hoped to go on our last day for an initial visit but in the end didn't get the time. Good to hear its a very nice location and worth visiting then. We managed a day trip to Santander which we really enjoyed (went their to watch some football)

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Thanks Ben. Would be interested in the info on the apartment at some point as I think we'll go back over next year to be honest. Also stayed in Bilbao old town and thought it was brilliant. Never seen as many bars just appear and open up at night.

We were advised San Sebastian was a lovely place and had hoped to go on our last day for an initial visit but in the end didn't get the time. Good to hear its a very nice location and worth visiting then. We managed a day trip to Santander which we really enjoyed (went their to watch some football)

Thanks.
    Well here's the place (photos do not do it justice). Its in about as good a location as you can imagine

http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/easo...ail_hotel_name

And much as the same as Bibao the bars just light up after 8 and you can eat in some amazing places... Under 2 euros for descent wine (paid 1.30 in one place!)

If going get the flights into Bilbao and get the Pensa bus across (just over an hour and about 11 Euros). My wife had booked flights into San Sebastian airport previously but it's way more expensive and still took 40 mins to get the bus into town!

Do it as you won't regret it!

Apprentice
    Starting the drive down to Biarritz this afternoon for our 2 week camping holiday with the kids, mightily looking forward to it, and definitely going to take a day trip down to San Sebastian, from what you guys say, sounds like a great town.

Rome

I love it there especially the forums

We've been often enough to be wise to the plague of ne'er do wells that infest the place (not unlike most big cities these days to be fair) and have a fun time

Im going to buy a pair of shoes on this trip

I really don't like the heat so the wife booked for us to go to Southern Egypt in July!

Them a long weekend trail riding in spain with red tread.

Lefkas -Greek Island.

Master
    Staying in Sweden, best time to be here is the summer months, then Thailand in November if it calms down over there.

Well here's the place (photos do not do it justice). Its in about as good a location as you can imagine

http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/easo...ail_hotel_name

And much as the same as Bibao the bars just light up after 8 and you can eat in some amazing places... Under 2 euros for descent wine (paid 1.30 in one place!)

If going get the flights into Bilbao and get the Pensa bus across (just over an hour and about 11 Euros). My wife had booked flights into San Sebastian airport previously but it's way more expensive and still took 40 mins to get the bus into town!

Do it as you won't regret it!
    That looks excellent, lovely apartment although saying it can't be booked at present. However, will bookmark this for next year and thanks again

Craftsman
    Off to Orlando in July with the family, anyone with any decent advice about what to take cash or cards? and how much to take..

Arrived in Mallorca this morning on the overnight ferry from Barcelona, a month of family bliss ahead

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Munich View Post
    Lefkas -Greek Island.
    went there on honeymoon 22 years ago- stayed at Nydri- lovely quiet place then.

Master
    Just got home from a weeks sailing in Croatia. The yacht (Élan 434i) was a peach & Croatia is a great place to visit. Not sure about later in the year...

Craftsman
    Kenya for a safari followed by Zanzibar

Mallorca for a couple of weeks and also the beautiful Northumberland coast exploring the Castles and Beaches.

Master
    Just spent a week on the coast 40 miles north of Naples at a Eurocamp site for the 1st time, was very enjoyable all round. Back to Sicily soon for 2 weeks to perfect the tan, looking forward to that...

Banned
    Leaving later today, and really can't wait to get to Monte Rei..............

http://www.monte-rei.com/

Island hopping in two archipelagos with family. Perhaps a few quick 2/3-nighters in Munich, Martigny, Amsterdam to see friends. A few good solo rides beyond paved roads.

Craftsman
    I've nothing booked yet, but hoping to go to New York in August and Hong Kong (with a couple of days somewhere enroute) in November.

Master
    This summer (next week actually) wife and I are of to our usual haunt in Burgundy, France. Only 3 nights (we did do the whole of Feb in NZ...).

Apart from that we'll have the odd long weekend here and there, I am sure, but nothing else booked yet*.

(*tbh we've got a house build to finish and current place to get ready to stick on market, so that will take priority).

Master
    Mallorca (Cala D' Or) in 2 weeks time...same as last year. I hope it will be hot

A fortnight in August camping at this glorious site in the Dordogne

http://www.campinglecapeyrou.com/

Went there last year and it was such a lovely part of France we just had to return.

Blog Entries
    Mallorca for a few days for a friends wedding in August and then Mauritius for 10 days in September for our Honeymoon, can't wait!

Dubai for the first time to visit my Sister since she moved there fron Australia. Much quicker for a family visit now!

New baby forces forfeit of foreign jaunts this year, so we'll be extending our stay in Devon (Horns Cross) to two weeks

Should be warmer than Glasgow

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveh View Post
    Off to Orlando in July with the family, anyone with any decent advice about what to take cash or cards? and how much to take..
    Steveh, we tend to take a few hundred quid worth of USD, and our Halifax Clarity cards. Go to an ATM and draw out cash over there and you get the commercial rate. There is a 1% charge, but the better rate more than makes up for it. Buying on the card is again a favourable rate, and providing you pay it off in full there is no penalty. We took it to Singapore, Australia, and the states in 2010, and again New York in 2012, and will be using it in Orlando later this year with no problems. That being said, I hope they haven't changed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    A couple of weeks in Florida later this year, Mrs Beanie wanted to visit Mickey for our 25th anniversary. Work that out!
    I know that feel.

I will be in Vegas to check out a business opportunity in July for a few days, then my missus will be joining me for a week in Vegas. Then we are off to L.A where i am quite happy to spend all my time in Santa Monica, except she wants to go and visit the crash site of Paul Walker (wtf!, she always told me it was Vin Diesel she fancied). I promised her i would go with her.

Journeyman
    A 5 minute walk to the beach starting 01.05. till 20.11. ;)

Journeyman
    5 weeks to go to the sun and Tenerife. Not that I'm counting

Craftsman
    I've got a long weekend in the in-laws' flat in july up the road from barcelona (do this every year until we can afford oir own flat) then in august we're going to try mexico - playa del carmen for a bit then off to mexico city. About to book a week in sicily too in oct, but that's not really the summer anymore.

Home sweet home for us.

My middle son and his American wife are arriving here Friday to stay with us for a month before they head out to the Philippines so he can do his dive instructors course.

Better than any holiday!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Currently stuck at home working...the downside of self employment.
    On the upside I was able to spend 2 months in the Far East last winter, and will hopefully do so again this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Lake Garda in Italy - going back to the same place we went to last year....so we can complete all the things we'd planned to do but never got around to
    Lake Garda is pretty spectacular. Which village?

Ibiza last month for a week which was good fun travelling around the island. Yes, the teenagers were having their full English at 3.30pm!! Obviously just out of their bed.

Madeira for two weeks at the end of this month and then a couple of weeks in September to Kos for the guaranteed hot weather.
    Last edited by j111dja; 11th June 2014 at 15:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    I know that feel.

I will be in Vegas to check out a business opportunity in July for a few days, then my missus will be joining me for a week in Vegas. Then we are off to L.A where i am quite happy to spend all my time in Santa Monica, except she wants to go and visit the crash site of Paul Walker (wtf!, she always told me it was Vin Diesel she fancied). I promised her i would go with her.
    The things we do for the one we love eh.
    (Isn't Vin Diesel gay?)
    She now tells me that she wants to go back to Australia for her 60th birthday. I too promised I Would go with her.
    Didn't take much persuading though!
    Looks like the Speedmaster fund has been torpedoed again.

Journeyman
    Off to Sardinia for a week in August, hoping to relax for a week!