closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where should I go on a Honeymoon? *Update*

Craftsman

Where should I go on a Honeymoon? *Update*

I'm getting married September 8th 2007, and my Fiancee and I are trying to narrow down some choices for a Honeymoon destination (One week). We have to keep in mind hurricane season is in Sept. and also budget. Of coarse she wants it to be romantic as possible!

*No cruises

Some ideas we have:

1. Cabo San Lucas (Hurricane season)
    2. Jamaica (Sandals-all inclusive)
    3. Greece (expensive)
    4. Italy- Tuscany
    5. Scotland

Any advice? Experiences? Tips?

I'm traveling this week for business, so I will check back here in a week to see what was posted. Hopefully the hotel I stay in has internet access.

Thanks in advance! I figured this was a great place to ask this because there are people all over the world here. :wink:

Healthy regards,
    Michael :)

Master
    Romantic is what you make of it keep that in mind. I myself went on a honeymoon cruise 18 years ago this month but here are more possibilities:
    1 - Disney
    2 - Aruba

Craftsman
    Tuscany's really nice at that time of the year, less hot and more quiet than in July / August. There are lots of houses you can rent for a week, which is what I would recommend (+ renting a car) as opposed to staying in Florence or Sienna. Or do both - Half the week in Florence, then half the week somewhere smaller in the west where you can travel around from.

It's a bit far and expensive to go from the US, though. Have you considered Cuba, assuming you can fly there legally or easily? It's really beautiful and would be very nice for a honeymoon IMO.

Craftsman

Re: Where should I go on a Honeymoon?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBe
    ... (One week)...
    Given that input I would recommend:

5. Scotland
    My wife and I went there on our honeymoon in 2004, and we are still married.

Why Scotland:
    - Beautiful. If your fond of nature and outdoors.
    - Eventhough there are a lot of tourists there, all tourism is "low-key" and therefore not as disturbing as if going to Greece.
    - Priceworthy. At least if your staying on BnB and compare to what it costs in other European countries.

Things to remember:
    - It takes longer to drive between places than you expect. The roads are small and windy so fast driving was out of the question for us. But not for the locals.
    - Take your time to plan and take your time to make stops to rest and catch your breath.

My two cents...

A tip for the wedding day:
    - It is your and your wifes day, and no one elses.
    - Things do not start until you are there, no reason to stress.

rgds,
    /joakim

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jo.st
    ... (One week)...
    Given that input I would recommend:

5. Scotland
    Why Scotland:
    - Beautiful. If your fond of nature and outdoors.
    - Even though there are a lot of tourists there, all tourism is "low-key" and therefore not as disturbing as if going to Greece.
    - Priceworthy. At least if your staying on BnB and compare to what it costs in other European countries.
    Can't help myself from promoting my own region in France here, as I just returned from a meeting of the tourist office where one of the remarks was that we hardly attract foreigners (that is if you don't count the Brits and Dutch with second homes ;-) ).
    Why:
    - Beautiful, if you are fond of the outdoors.
    - Not many tourists, everything is low-key.
    - Not too expensive either. Even for France. You can stay in a nice holiday cottage here for three weeks for what it would cost for one week in the Dordogne.
    - Volcanoes (dead/sleeping, but very recognizable as such).
    - Very good food (definite advantage over the UK, I'm sorry to say).
    - generally fair weather
    - Added extra: you could book a hot-air balloon flight over some really nice countryside. Guess who's the pilot. :-D
    Where: France, Auvergne, Combrailles (in order of increasing geographic accuracy). And see http://ballonbleu.free.fr
    Coming from the US, you can change flights in Paris and fly Air France to Clermont-Ferrand, which is about one hour by car from here.

So much for some shameless advertising!

One possible disadvantage: there are so few foreign tourists that most people do not speak English much. They never needed to. OTOH, they are usually quite willing to take the time to understand what you mean.

Wherever you go: may it be the start of a long and happy life together!

Blackpool is lovely in September.

My wife and I went to Tuscany on Honeymoon 21 years ago.

We are still married so it must be good.

Craftsman
    Cabo is very nice and not too expensive, lots of nightlife. I might suggest Laguna Beach right here in Orange County. A beautiful beach town. Great food with restaurants everywhere, everything in walking distance. Lots of art galleries and nice stores. Great beaches too. If you want to do some touristy
    stuff you're not far from Disneyland. If you and the new wife are baseball fans you might get lucky and catch the Angels playing the Clevelands. Accommodations in LBeach range from the Ritz to cheap motels. You can stay in a small resort in the heart of Laguna right on the ocean. Lots of Golf courses. Best of all you have no chance of being involved with the Mexican "legal" system.

My Wife and I went to Bermuda. Very nice island and we were comfortable walking the streets day and night something I would not recommend in Jamaica. If you go there try and stay in Hamilton as all of the night life is there and you cannot rent cars only scooters and when we went almost 17 yrs ago it was way to dark at night for scooters. It is also a fairly short flight from Ohio compared to Europe. Can-Cun was nice also but it was still recovering from the Huricanes when we went there a couple of years ago.

Andre Cuba is off limits to Citizens of the US.

Master

1. Cabo San Lucas (Hurricane season)
    2. Jamaica (Sandals-all inclusive)
    3. Greece (expensive)
    4. Italy- Tuscany
    5. Scotland
    I vote for either Greece (not expensive at all) or Tuscany, and of those I'd choose Greece. September is a good time to go - it's still warm, it's not overly hot (like in August) and the majority of the tourists have left (July/August is peak season). There are lots of options in Greece - and I'd recommend somewhere like Kefalonia or Santorini (and not somewhere like Mikonos).

(I chose Italy for my honeymoon by the way)

Master
    How about Cedar Pointe?

If you and your future bride have never been there, I would highly recommend the Big Island in Hawaii. September is a great time to go with highs in the 80's and lows in the high 60's. There is no real rainy season, but the rain is highest in the month of Nov.
    I have been to Hawaii many many times, as my wife had to go there for her job several times a year and I was more than happy to join her.
    A week is a perfect amount of time to explore the island including romantic walks on the relatively quiet black sand beaches, a swim with the dolphins, a helicopter tour of the island, a tour of the amazing Kilauea volcano (the worlds most active volcano), you can also get a helo tour at night if the volcano is particularly active (worth every penny!), and even golf, hiking, sport fishing, romantic sunset cruises, etc.
    Check out this site- http://www.gohawaii.com/big_island/learn/quick_guides
    The Big Island is my favorite island of all and offers something for everyone, and has only a fraction of the tourists of Oahu.
    I would also recommend the Hilton Waikoloa Village though there are smaller hotels, with less services, available if you want a more remote destination.
    A couple of other random thoughts and opinions from my travel experiences.
    -Stay away from the Caribean/Mexico/Bermuda during hurricaine season. I have had to leave early before to avoid a Cat 4 hurricaine. This is NOT something that you want to even remotely consider on your honeymoon. You don't get a second chance next year, and it will ruin your trip very quickly.
    -Jamaica is not a nice place to visit even under the best circumstances. I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall for a week and it still was not that nice. Even if you go to Sandals, you will likely want to leave the resort at some point and you won't like what you see.
    -Cabo is subject to hurricaines, see above.
    -Southern California is great, I lived there for 7 years, but it is not the kind of place for a once in a lifetime experience that a honeymoon should be.
    -Planning some adventures in advance is the best way to experience all that the area has to offer.
    Let us know where you end up.
    Have a GREAT trip!
    -Brian

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr

Andre Cuba is off limits to Citizens of the US.
    I know, but I saw hundreds of them when I last went there in late 2001. I think all it takes is to fly from somewhere else than the US and ask local immigration not to stamp your passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Grath
    How about Cedar Pointe?
    Yeah Cedar Point. Love that place going back in two years.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep

Where: France, Auvergne, Combrailles (in order of increasing geographic accuracy). And see http://ballonbleu.free.fr
    Coming from the US, you can change flights in Paris and fly Air France to Clermont-Ferrand, which is about one hour by car from here.

So much for some shameless advertising!

One possible disadvantage: there are so few foreign tourists that most people do not speak English much. They never needed to. OTOH, they are usually quite willing to take the time to understand what you mean.

Wherever you go: may it be the start of a long and happy life together!
    That's actually a good idea for a honeymoon. Auvergne is very nice indeed. I discovered it when doing a one-week motorcycle ride in France about a year ago. The slowest part of my trip but certainly one of the most beautiful.

Master
    Michael,

I recommend a small, boutique resort called AZUL. It is owned by an outfit called Karisma Resorts. It is just south of Cancun. It is all inclusive. The food and service are top notch. While it is true that it will be hurricane season, check it out... Try looking through Funjet; Worry Free Vacations; Apple; or, Lomas Travel.

I have stayed at this place. It is small - under 100 rooms...so you are not there with 3000 of your "closest friends". They do weddings there, too, if you like...

The first morning we arrived there, we were greeted with a glass of champagne... While waiting for our rooms, we enjoyed grilled lobster tails and champagne on the beach. It was great.

I am hopeful that we can visit AZUL again this summer. Best wishes on your upcoming nutpuals....

While I haven't been everywhere mentioned, I have to say I immediately thought of the Big Island (Kona, specifically) as a great honeymoon destination when I saw the first post.

Dashiel's recommendation of Laguna is a good one and everything he says is true. Laguna tends to close down a bit early, depending on what your night life desires are (besides the obvious :wink: ).

I admit that Tuscany and France sound very inviting also.

Some hints as to what you want to do during your honeymoon would help: diving, golf, shopping, tennis, tourist attractions, etc.?

Michael,

check out Kuredu Island/Maldives http://www.kuredu.com.

It´s actually run by my cousin who is Regional General Manager & Island Chief there. I may be able to get a special rate for you ;-)

Great for diving btw ;-)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman
    Just wanted to thank everyone for there advice!

Going to spend some time reading the posts...

Cheers,
    Michael :D

come to scotland :D

we got married in North Uist, which is one of the Western Isles, nothing much to do but go for walks on the sandy beaches, drink lots, eat lots, and no shops for miles :D

but no watch shops either :cry:

have a look at the langass Lodge, i can highly reccomend it, we go there every time were at in North Uist
    http://www.langasslodge.co.uk

davie

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Michael,

check out Kuredu Island/Maldives http://www.kuredu.com.

It´s actually run by my cousin who is Regional General Manager & Island Chief there. I may be able to get a special rate for you ;-)

Great for diving btw ;-)
    clicky no work :)

Back in 1996 we went to the Cooke Islands and Tahiti. ;-) Bloody expensive trip. :shock:

My cousin Jenny has a guesthouse in New Zealand if you want a quiet holiday.

http://www.kindearhouse.co.nz/hosts.html

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thomas Reid
    We went to Paris. (Am I old fashioned, or what. ;))

Best wishes,
    Bob

Stay at home and save the money.................. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Actually, Lynn and I honeymooned on a farm in Somerset - it was all we could afford. :shock:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by davie0146
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Michael,

check out Kuredu Island/Maldives http://www.kuredu.com

Great for diving btw ;-)
    clicky no work :)
    ooops
    http://www.kuredu.com
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Automatic
    I would recommend Nova Scotia and New Foundland and especially when the Targa Newfoundlan is going on in September. http://www.targanewfoundland.com/home.asp
    Beautiful countryside and quaint places to stay and not that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    My cousin Jenny has a guesthouse in New Zealand if you want a quiet holiday.

http://www.kindearhouse.co.nz/hosts.html

Eddie
    Bookmarked for future reference :wink:

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    No disrespect to anyone who suggested our country.

But why UK?

Weather's crap - big point.

Unless you interested in hills, nature, etc, forget it.

Just my thoughts.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice!!

I decided not to do any of the top 5 and went with ARUBA, One week all inclusive! Two more months of being single!!!!

Now is the question of what watch to wear for the wedding?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......... :D

Do NOT, I repeat NOT get married.I am not joking, I am serious.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    That's what my Father keeps telling me...

:lol:

Master
    For our honeymoon we are are going on on a cruise round the the west med in august.

But then we live in Scotland... :D

There are some beautiful areas here, the west coast is simply stunning.

We probably don't appreciate it as much as we should.

Dave