closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental implants any experience ?

Craftsman

Dental implants any experience ?

I went to the hospital yesterday for a retreatment of a root canal. However the consultant said that it wasn't worth doing and I should get a dental implant privately instead. She told me to go back to my dentist to get referred.

However my dentist is now away for the next few weeks and looking online there's seems to be a huge range of prices from £1,750-3,500.

Has anyone had one done and what are you supposed to look out for when choosing who to do it ? Is it a case of you get what you pay for ?

Grand Master
    None,but likely to be expensive for a few bits of whatever they use!.

I'm ready for the flak ;-).

Master
    Yep had one about 10 years ago- best thing I ever did after years of troublesome crowns. Think the total cost was approx £3k including a bone graft and another crown.
    Think it was a Branemark which was supposed to be the best at the time.

http://www.nobelbiocare.com/en/produ...nemark-system/

It was tailor made in Sweden I think but as I said the best thing. I've done and totally unaware that it is there.

Craftsman
    Yep, I got one done about 5 or 6 years ago; similar thing, a previous root canal treatment failed, and they said it wasn't worth repairing. It's been very solid since then, and I'm glad I got it done.

I can't remember what the check list is though; I happened to go to a very good dentist; mainly because it was across the road from my office and therefore didn't require taking much time off work to get the different phases carried out.

The root was filled with some sort of cow bone compound which was allowed set, and then a pillar was drilled in a little later. When that was set, then the tooth was screwed in. Very little discomfort, as the root and nerve was long gone at that stage. I think he quoted a ~80% success rate.

I think it cost around EUR4K at the time, but dentists in Ireland tend to be more expensive than the UK and he was in an expensive area of town; so no doubt I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere.

My Dad had a good few done recently - he was working in Russia at the time and it cost about 1.5K but would have been ten times that over here... There's a big medical tourism market for stuff like this, and not as backstreet and seedy as it sounds...

Master
    India ...about £400 for a top of the range one with a 15 year guarantee.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    India ...about £400 for a top of the range one with a 15 year guarantee.
    Bradford too possibly...price may be a few rupees more than £400 tho.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies, I have been read about going abroad but it seems that you have to do it over a few months and they some times require adjusting over a few visits so it can be a bit of a false economy if it's not straight forward.

Master
    I found a guy who did them for approx £1500 per tooth. Do your research.

Find out where your local dental university is and pay them a visit and see who lectures the students on implantology or find out from a student who is the man on this subject locally.

You want fully costed/detailed quote including grafting cost (Bovine material or not) and Xrays with diagrams. It takes a few visits and the wham bam approach is fraught with potential issues.

Had it done last year - no problems yet ( Straumann titanium inserts)

Youngish chap; what he lacked on pain control experience he made up for with good technique and after service.

A course of antibiotics before and after. fully gowned surgery etc.

A local to boot.

B

P.S. I had one 5 years previous by an eminent maxillofacial surgeon and he totally screwed it up (which I put down to eminent surgeon over confidence) - It was safer to leave it in and work around it than to try and remove it. That was expensive.
    Last edited by Brian; 11th June 2014 at 12:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I found a guy who did them for approx £1500 per tooth.
    See, that actually sounds reasonableish. I'd get him to whip out my more troublesome ones tout suite if he did a 3 for 2 deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    See, that actually sounds reasonableish. I'd get him to whip out my more troublesome ones tout suite if he did a 3 for 2 deal.
    I have asked for a 30% discount for any subsequent implants and he has agreed.

They are only human after all.

B

I went to Budapest( after a fair bit of research) and had one done there, along with a bridge.
    The first visit was to have the prep work done. I stayed for three nights in total.
    I returned six months later with the family and had another four nights out there.
    Each visit to the surgery on the second visit was an hour or so each time and barely got in the way of the days plans.
    I was impressed with the surgery and the work. I met a fair number of people out there who were extremely pleased with the work they'd had done. Indeed, some were returning every six months for a check up.
    Factoring in flights, accommodation , the bridge etc , the bill was remarkably similar to the quote I'd had just for the implant back home.

Master
    In a similar vein.

I broke a back tooth , had it refilled and reconstructed and two others filled ;

Total cost in Mumbai £20. Was treated same day I was seen , saw dentist 5 mins after turning up at the hospital.

I'm interested in dental implants but rejectthe idea of going abroad for the following reasons:

1. You can't have it done in one visit,it may require 2 or 3.

2. If it goes wrong, the NHS won't pick it up.

I don't doubt that you can get quality treatment abroad but when you factor inthe cost of 2 or 3 flights and accommodation, you might as well get it done here.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

I don't doubt that you can get quality treatment abroad but when you factor inthe cost of 2 or 3 flights and accommodation, you might as well get it done here.
    There are quite a few operations setting up UK clinics but staffed with overseas dental surgeons and offering treatment prices similar to many of the foreign offerings. For example:

http://www.perfectdental.eu.com/uk-p...verhampton.php

Of course you have to go to Wolverhampton or Luton, but you avoid the NHS washing their hands of you...

Master
    I'm interested in dental implants but rejectthe idea of going abroad for the following reasons:

1. You can't have it done in one visit,it may require 2 or 3.

Eddie
    People in the rest of the world have a different attitude to healthcare. If you have money you turn up and expect to be seen. You don't expedt to be charged £5000 for £500 of work jsut because that's the market rate in the UK.

I had a serious eye infection in India ; surgeon saw me within 10 minutes. Treated me and told me to stay in hospital for observation. I said no. Self treated in hotel and came back in 3 hours . Full bloodwork and physical results back in that timeframe. Required me to come back every 6 hours for 2 days . 12 eyedrops per hour.

1 week of consultation and checkup, surgeon came in on a Sunday to check me.

total cost including drugs...£50...surgeon saved my eye.

Had slipped disc MRI that day and consultation and drugs ..£50...just drug cost for repeat prescription in UK : £150.

We are just shat on in the UK when it comes to medical costs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    People in the rest of the world have a different attitude to healthcare. If you have money you turn up and expect to be seen. ...
    We are just shat on in the UK when it comes to medical costs.
    Well, last time I checked we still seem to have an at least partially functional NHS.

It's worth remembering that the average expenditure per head of population on healthcare in the USA is three times that in the UK. That includes all expenditure, private and public and insurance, and includes the fact that a high proportion of US citizens have no or minimal cover. Private health care's so wonderful, isn't it?
    You'll miss the NHS when it's gone, unless you're planning not to get ill, of course.

And I'm sure you can get your Patek serviced in Hyderabad for 50 quid.

Grand Master
    When the wife is fobbed of with tablets or told you can't see a Doctor until a week after Friday on ringing them on a Monday!.
    I always say to her,ask if this would be how fast you would treat a member of Royalty or celebrity!,NO would be the answer to that,and everyone would be up their own arse to want to help those privileged members of society!.
    But because that is hardly likely to ever happen they can say that they too would have to wait and be treated as and when........yeah right,we all know the reality.
    Not a gripe or dig at our very good NHS but how people would react to different people,that is WRONG.

If the cost are that you will save a heck of a lot by going abroad,then I'd consider it too.

I paid around 1100 euros´in Spain for the bone implant(bad infection had eaten away quite a lot of bone) and then the insertion of the post and tooth. The whole process was almost a year, it was for a top front tooth. Terrific after care and the only dentist who´s ever apologised for the pain ahead of inflicting it.

I´ve personally found that medical costs are sooo expensive in the USA because of the insurance monopolies and not necessarily indicative of care that is somehow multiple times better than elsewhere.

I have 4 at the front at the bottom after an incident some years ago. They look good and haven't given me any trouble so far and were a real life-changer - Id really been missing the feeling of simple things we take for granted such as biting into an apple!

What I will say is - make sure the dentist doesn't try to bolt piano keys into your mouth - dentists nowadays seem obsessed with trying to inflict oversized American-style smiles on us!
    Just stand your ground and youll get what you want. Im glad that I did.

I'm currently under going implant treatment. I've just had the extraction (one of the back molars) so need to wait for a couple of months for second visit, which hopefully would be the implant itself. Then a wait of a few more months to make sure the implant naturally attaches itself to the jaw bone then a third visit for impressions and I think also a pin is put in then finally a fourth visit eventually to have the crown cemented on.

I'm expecting approx £2.5k all told, just paid £300 for the extraction.

Master
    Yes, when I was having mine I was reminded strongly of that valve job I did on my mothers' Morris Minor in 1979.

Very impressive socket set.

Master
    Paid for my dads to be done here

http://www.evodental.com/index-ipad.html

They've been in around 3 years now and aside from the initial discomfort afterwards no complaints from him he's been extremely happy with them and would have had them done years earlier apparently.

He had the full lot done after loosing nearly all his teeth in a motorbike crash years ago and suffering with dentures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Paid for my dads to be done here

http://www.evodental.com/index-ipad.html

They've been in around 3 years now and aside from the initial discomfort afterwards no complaints from him he's been extremely happy with them and would have had them done years earlier apparently.

He had the full lot done after loosing nearly all his teeth in a motorbike crash years ago and suffering with dentures.
    Just read the testimonials on this site as i am about to go for an implant procedure but they all seem to be littered with the same grammatical errors.
    Does not instill confidence.

My top jaw dental implant programme commenced in 2011 and is still ongoing following jawbone augmentation, several jawbone infections and one implant failure. My advice for anyone considering dental implants is to have a full jawbone scan - it will cost a few £hundred but will show jawbone and teeth/root canal problems not identified by regular X-rays. I have six or seven upper jaw implants fitted (I have lost count) and am shortly due to have one removed (it failed) and another fitted next to it. The existing bridgework fitted to the implants will be removed. The revised plan is to fit a removable bridge to the implants which will enable better cleaning/hygiene thus preventing further gum recession/infection/implant failure. Some might say,"Why not have all teeth removed and have a denture?" When teeth are removed the jawbone then shrinks and the face collapses - which is OK if you want to win a gurning competition i.e. be able to cover your nose with your lower lip!! I'm a brass instrument player and wish to continue playing with my existing jaw geometry. I have lost count of the numbers of implant programme appointments to date and the numbers of infection treatments and the courses of antibiotics - but I estimate at least 35 appointments over the last three and a half years.

I was once a heavy smoker and also consumed far too much sugar with cereals and in drinks - thus plaque, gum recession and tooth decay have taken their toll - exacerbated by poor quality previous dental treatments and what was an undiagnosed thyroid problem which compromised my immune system and ability to fight infections. I have always had regular dental check-ups and prior to the implant programme had spent £5K in three years on regular dental crown treatments - all of which eventually failed. Unfortunately some dental surgeons had only done half a job with root canal fillings - not filling the canal completely thus leaving them porous and open to decay - and one canal was discovered by my implantologist to have a broken root canal drill lodged inside. Removing the broken drill involved over 90 minutes of very intricate tooth surgery but my implantologist saved the tooth. I had also undergone numerous hospital OP apicoectomy treatments for jawbone infections over a 15 year period.

When my top jaw implants are finally completed the lower jaw implants will commence - at which time i will be selling some watches to fund phase 2.

I have learnt so much about dental/oral hygiene in the last three years. I always thought I knew all about same - but I didn't - and now my oral hygiene is meticulous - in an effort to avoid further problems.

It's a fact that regular brushing is insufficient to prevent plaque and resultant gum recession and infections. Everyone should use flossing tools to clean between teeth and a good mouthwash is essential … and a Kitty Hydrofloss Jet Dental Irrigator works wonders as a plaque remover/preventative tool.

Keep plaque at bay and you will have few dental problems.

And if you think that all dental implants can be completed in one to two appointments then think again - because they cannot unless you have a perfect jawbone able to withstand the necessary drilling and implant procedure without further bone augmentation. If you require jawbone augmentation it will require several months to 'bond' with existing bone before the implant(s) can be fitted. Then the implants will require 'healing abutments' and a temporary bridge or denture before the permanent bridge or tooth is fitted. The implant is just the first stage - it also requires a screw-in abutment onto which the bridgework or tooth is then fitted.

dunk

[B]EDIT[/B] 19 June: Yesterday the failed implant was removed - this entailed using a miniature circular saw approx 10mm blade diameter to cut a window into the upper jawbone (after cutting and lifting the gum ). Thus a window of jawbone was removed, the failed implant was then removed, and the infection in a 'pocket' next to it (which had not shown up on X-ray) was cleaned out. The jawbone 'window' was then replaced and the gum stitched up. The jawbone 'window' will re-bond within a few weeks. I have already had an additional implant fitted some weeks ago to take the load of the implant removed today. Today's procedure lasted 105 minutes but was booked for 2 hours.

In 5 weeks time when the bone has healed the next stage commences i.e. making and fitting the new replacement bridgework - but this time it will be a user removable bridge which will fit onto the implant abutments but will be secured via two removable studs . There are seven implants in my upper jaw.
    Last edited by sundial; 19th June 2014 at 00:30. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Just read the testimonials on this site as i am about to go for an implant procedure but they all seem to be littered with the same grammatical errors.

Of course your grammar and sentence construction is impeccable.

dunk

Craftsman
    Thanks again for all the responses, it certainly seems that getting it done locally will be the best option even if the headline figure seems high. Now I just need to try and find out which one is the best, all the reviews/testimonials on the websites are obviously from the happy patients !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    My top jaw dental implant programme commenced in 2011 and is still ongoing following jawbone augmentation, several jawbone infections and one implant failure. My advice for anyone considering dental implants is to have a full jawbone scan - it will cost a few £hundred but will show jawbone and teeth/root canal problems not identified by regular X-rays. I have six or seven upper jaw implants fitted (I have lost count) and am shortly due to have one removed (it failed) and another fitted next to it. ...
    ... Then the implants will require 'healing abutments' and a temporary bridge or denture before the permanent bridge or tooth is fitted. The implant is just the first stage - it also requires a screw-in abutment onto which the bridgework or tooth is then fitted.

dunk
    You poor chap - I have great sympathy. That's a real marathon.

There's no doubt that the state of one's existing teeth, bone and gums are crucial for determining the success rate. It varies by site of tooth and upper/lower jaw, but overall success rates are over 98% with a projected 25+ year life. Of course that's not much comfort to people who have had problems, but we shouldn't put people off what is usually a very positive outcome.

Choosing a proper expert dentist at the outset is vital, especially if you've got more complex problems.

I note you must be near me: who's been doing your work?

I must say I've had good experiences with both Devonshire House and Dentastique in Cambridge and would happily recommend either (although Devonshire House is a large practice - this brings advantages of 24/7 cover and a team approach, but they do have some young dentists on their books and one wonders just how experienced they are).

Had 3 done at my usual surgery by their dental surgeon (instead of my dentist) at a cost of £2750 each. Among the best things I've ever done for myself. It was remarkably easy and pain free, and I was quite shocked at the speed of recovery and how quickly the implants felt as normal as my own teeth.

I have trust issues with dentists and to be able to do it in a familiar environment close to home was more than worth the price. I couldn't imagine having to go to another country for it, the stress would kill me.

Craftsman
    Travelling wouldn't be too much of an issue for me; I think Belfast has a bit of a dental tourism industry as it's so much cheaper than the Republic of Ireland - it's more what happens if you need follow up care. That's why I spent over the odds to go to a good place across the road from my office.

My advice for anyone considering dental implants is to have a full jawbone scan - it will cost a few £hundred but will show jawbone and teeth/root canal problems not identified by regular X-rays.

I have learnt so much about dental/oral hygiene in the last three years. I always thought I knew all about same - but I didn't - and now my oral hygiene is meticulous - in an effort to avoid further problems.

It's a fact that regular brushing is insufficient to prevent plaque and resultant gum recession and infections. Everyone should use flossing tools to clean between teeth and a good mouthwash is essential … and a Kitty Hydrofloss Jet Dental Irrigator works wonders as a plaque remover/preventative tool.

Keep plaque at bay and you will have few dental problems.
    Some great points there Dunk! My initial session with private dentist cost £125 and that included CT scans, as you say they show so much more than x-rays.

I've always gone every 6 months to my NHS dentist, the occassional filling but that seemed to be it. When I lost one of my teeth after NHS root canal failed so had to go private to have it surgically extracted (could have gone on NHS waiting list at hospital, no way!) private dentist explained in detail about plaque. I've since completely turned the health of my gums around, mainly using the interdental brushes. It is painful at first, having to work away until your gums bleed and getting the right size of the various TePe brushes but dentist said there's been a huge improvement in my gum health.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post

I've never really looked at the site I visited in person to see what they where like so I wouldn't know, I have however seen the work and the difference its made for my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    I went to the hospital yesterday for a retreatment of a root canal. However the consultant said that it wasn't worth doing and I should get a dental implant privately instead. She told me to go back to my dentist to get referred.

However my dentist is now away for the next few weeks and looking online there's seems to be a huge range of prices from £1,750-3,500.

Has anyone had one done and what are you supposed to look out for when choosing who to do it ? Is it a case of you get what you pay for ?
    If you've got some time on your hand, why not try dental tourism ? :) I have some dentists friends here in CY and lotsa clinics offer special services to folks from the UK due to quite a discrepancy in prices, as I'm sure other countries in Europe do. Fortunately I don't have much issues other than the few fillings myself but my mom had to do a couple of implants in Spain last year and it cost about 1000 a piece, euros that is, which I guess is still much cheaper than the UK rates.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post

The disparity in fees is partly due to dental practices offering the services of third party implantologists. If you can find a practice offering implants 'in-house' i.e. where the implantologist is a permanent member of the team - and not someone 'doing the rounds' or who has his/her clinic elsewhere, or is drafted in when required, the fees will probably be more reasonable and 'commission free'. When dental practices have to refer patients elsewhere for private treatment or use the services of another private specialist there is likely to be at least an admin. fee - they "don't do nuffink for nuffink".

When I was looking for an implantologist I checked every local practice offering implants and 'read between the lines' to make sure I selected a practice offering 100% 'in-house' implant treatment - but I still had to be referred to a private clinic for the jawbone scans.

Another tip is to try and get a fixed price quote. Although my implant programme has been ongoing for three years because of a number of infection problems and one implant failure, the fixed fee has covered almost everything.

If you go ahead and have the implant(s) please also consider what is recommended as regards aftercare to prevent plaque, gum recession and resultant infections and decay. A jawbone implant plus abutment and replacement tooth (an implant is a 3 element fixture) will only look natural and function well for as long as the surrounding gum is kept clean. Plaque is a dental killer and requires a strict daily oral hygiene regime to keep it at bay.

Also bear in mind that some implantologists will not offer a guarantee to patients who smoke - because tobacco smoke has been proved to compromise oral /dental hygiene and health. And if people think about it, tobacco tar is one more unnatural enemy of teeth and gums - in addition to all the various sugars we consume and the crunchy foods which compromise tooth enamel.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 15th June 2014 at 10:08.

I've just had a quote from DentalCarePlus if anyone's interested.

http://www.tz-uk.com/pics/DentalImplant.pdf

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I've just had a quote from DentalCarePlus if anyone's interested.

http://www.tz-uk.com/pics/DentalImplant.pdf

Eddie
    The estimated fees seem to be quite reasonable but are the two bridges based on two implants or three implants for each bridge?

The work covered by the estimate does not appear to include any jawbone augmentation - if required that could incur additional fees.

Best wishes

dunk

Hi Eddie,

£9k doesn't sound too bad considering it covers 2 x implant bridges plus 3 x crown implants.

I think that implants 'cure' themselves onto the lower jaw bone quicker than the upper jaw, it's to do with bone density I believe. I'm certain my dentist said that upper jaw implants usually take 6-9 months from extraction to final crown whereas lower jaw implants are more 3-6 months. If you go ahead with all this work would you have one section of the mouth done at at time?

All the very best of luck to you!

The estimated fees seem to be quite reasonable but are the two bridges based on two implants or three implants for each bridge?

The work covered by the estimate does not appear to include any jawbone augmentation - if required that could incur additional fees.

Best wishes

dunk
    That's only the provisional estimate pending the resuts of the scan. I understand that fees will increase if augmentation is required.

Eddie

More jawbone surgery yesterday - see 'EDIT' to post 25

dunk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    I'm currently under going implant treatment. I've just had the extraction (one of the back molars) so need to wait for a couple of months for second visit, which hopefully would be the implant itself. Then a wait of a few more months to make sure the implant naturally attaches itself to the jaw bone then a third visit for impressions and I think also a pin is put in then finally a fourth visit eventually to have the crown cemented on.

I'm expecting approx £2.5k all told, just paid £300 for the extraction.
    Jesus, £300 to have a tooth extracted.. Last one I had pulled and capped was £350 all in, here in Kent.. Privately as well..

I would search around a bit more.. My wife had the same dentist do quite an extensive cosmetic rebuild, the legacy of a childhood accident. We had considered going abroad to have the work done and this particular dentist did the work for a very similar cost to what we had been quoted if we had gone abroad..

Worth looking around and haggling..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mwy1964 View Post
    Jesus, £300 to have a tooth extracted.. Last one I had pulled and capped was £350 all in, here in Kent.. Privately as well..

I would search around a bit more.. My wife had the same dentist do quite an extensive cosmetic rebuild, the legacy of a childhood accident. We had considered going abroad to have the work done and this particular dentist did the work for a very similar cost to what we had been quoted if we had gone abroad..

Worth looking around and haggling..

Mark
    You have to understand that when a tooth is extracted prior to an implant, it is not just 'pulled' - because regular extraction procedures compromise both jawbone and gum tissue. Prior to an implant, the extraction has to be performed as neatly as possible to avoid damaging the jawbone and gum - thus it is gradually 'teased out' which involves cutting the gum very neatly and then probing all around the root - until the tooth almost falls out - rather than being pulled/wrenched. And you should not compare your non-implant treatment costs to what you think implants should cost - they are totally different procedures and dental implantology is a whole different science.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 19th June 2014 at 19:58.

Master
    You have to understand that when a tooth is extracted prior to an implant, it is not just 'pulled' - because regular extraction procedures compromise both jawbone and gum tissue. Prior to an implant, the extraction has to be performed as neatly as possible to avoid damaging the jawbone and gum - thus it is gradually 'teased out' which involves cutting the gum very neatly and then probing all around the root - until the tooth almost falls out - rather than being pulled/wrenched. And you should not compare your non-implant treatment costs to what you think implants should cost - they are totally different procedures and dental implantology is a whole different science.

dunk
    My dentist told me years ago, that they don't actually pull the teeth out - they push them out.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    My dentist told me years ago, that they don't actually pull the teeth out - they push them out.

Rob.
    Yes firstly they push and then twist … but finally they have to pull the tooth out. One of the TZ dental surgeons should be able to document exactly how a tooth is extracted. And they also cut the gum first if necessary.

dunk

I had an implant done about 9 months ago. The extraction was done a year ago (very carefully so as not to damage the upper jaw) and the socket inserted at the same time. Little worse than having a root canal done and took about 90 minutes. Healing of the bone (it grows around the implanted socket) takes 4-6 months, then you have the final tooth fitted; it screws into the implant socket. All went well until last week when an abscess appeared over the implant! Went back to my NHS dentist (as the antibiotics would be cheaper!) but he told me to go back to my private dentist if it recurred. He had no idea what the problem might be as there was no root left to infect. NHS dentists will not touch anything done by a private dentist so beware!
    The implant dentist did not need to 'flap the gum' during he procedure but he did warn me that this might be necessary. Cleaning up after the abscess will be expensive (if reading some of the above is anything to go by) but the implant had been trouble free up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I had an implant done about 9 months ago. The extraction was done a year ago (very carefully so as not to damage the upper jaw) and the socket inserted at the same time. Little worse than having a root canal done and took about 90 minutes. Healing of the bone (it grows around the implanted socket) takes 4-6 months, then you have the final tooth fitted; it screws into the implant socket. All went well until last week when an abscess appeared over the implant! Went back to my NHS dentist (as the antibiotics would be cheaper!) but he told me to go back to my private dentist if it recurred. He had no idea what the problem might be as there was no root left to infect. NHS dentists will not touch anything done by a private dentist so beware!
    The implant dentist did not need to 'flap the gum' during he procedure but he did warn me that this might be necessary. Cleaning up after the abscess will be expensive (if reading some of the above is anything to go by) but the implant had been trouble free up to this point.
    Meticulous oral hygiene after implants is advisable to prevent infections. Once plaque gets a hold gum recession occurs - then bacteria find pockets and infection sets in. You might consider buying a Kitty Hydrofloss Jet Dental Irrigator … it will flush out bacteria and residue that regular brushing and flossing cannot reach. Several Hydrofloss reviews available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBB_...Rcwh9hPLErIny9

Lots of advice available ref preventing post implant infections:

http://periodontitis-treatment.com/p...is-causes.html

http://www.dentistrytoday.com/implan...ental-implants

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612185/

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 20th June 2014 at 23:15.

Many thanks for the links, will look into this. I do floss everyday and use mouthwash so I'm a little disappointed that this isn't quite enough. Saw my private dentist today and more aggressive flossing was the recommendation (plus the obligatory Corsodyl gel).

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Many thanks for the links, will look into this. I do floss everyday and use mouthwash so I'm a little disappointed that this isn't quite enough. Saw my private dentist today and more aggressive flossing was the recommendation (plus the obligatory Corsodyl gel).

Corsodyl and other chlorohexidine mouthwash preparations and brushing gels should not be used at the same time as regular toothpastes because sodium lauryl sulfates in toothpastes compromise the action of chlorohexidines - thus allow 30 minutes after tooth brushing and flossing before using mouthwashes containing chlorohexidine.

Alternatively, choose one of the very few toothpastes which do not contain sodium laurel sulfate e.g., Corsodyl toothpaste, Ultradex, and BlanX White Shock … also Sensodyne Pro Enamel for Children.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 7th July 2014 at 17:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    When the wife is fobbed of with tablets or told you can't see a Doctor until a week after Friday on ringing them on a Monday!.
    I always say to her,ask if this would be how fast you would treat a member of Royalty or celebrity!,NO would be the answer to that,and everyone would be up their own arse to want to help those privileged members of society!.
    But because that is hardly likely to ever happen they can say that they too would have to wait and be treated as and when........yeah right,we all know the reality.
    Not a gripe or dig at our very good NHS but how people would react to different people,that is WRONG.

If the cost are that you will save a heck of a lot by going abroad,then I'd consider it too.
    Bet if you were a mechanic you'd fix you're friend's car first before any other punter. That's life.

Grand Master
    Can't help on the implants,but as were talking Dental work........

I have just visited the Dentist,the last time I saw a Dentist was well over 30 years ago!,yep I know not good really,but all that time ago I had a bad experience that made me never go back.
    But because of that I made sure I looked after my teeth as good as I could,and what did he find,I require 2 small fillings :-).

So I am very happy with that indeed.

Master
    Atraumatic extractions use special instruments. Initial pushing actually helps extrude root from socket.. Normal extractions involve expanding the boney socket by using wrist action. Thus the tooth will come out. Kids have bendier bone so are much easier. £300 is quite a lot but cant say as could be a multi rooted or hooked rooted tooth. You cant get away from paying for quality. After all a cheap digital watch tells time better than a complication!