closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marks on new watches?

Master

Marks on new watches?

I used to buy watches to wear and enjoy and a few marks or even small dings would not worry me, if I get a good discount. I will probably do the same thing to it at some stage. I note that many of you prefer a new watch to be near perfect before purchase. I am now getting that way and could understand it if you are going to drop a few thousands on a watch or you have to pay close to rrp. At the end of the day would you reject a new watch with a few imperfections?

If I'm paying for new, I expect it to be in the condition it left the manufacturer.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

It all depends on the price. If the AD offers it at a discount because it has a small imperfection then that would be perfectly fine with me (assuming I could live with that particular mark on the watch).

Master
    Me personally? Yes, don't get me wrong i wear all my watches, but would be gutted to mark them.The good thing about being part of a watch forum, is that you learn so much about watch repairs and if the worst should happen, you can probably get it repaired :)
    Regarding new watches, i tend not to buy from shops any longer, as nothing really interests me in the high street.
    Would i buy a watch off display, NO but that's just me I'm afraid!

Banned
    If it's new, it's new.

Master
    What I have noticed is that perception of the condition of a watch depends a lot on the lighting. A few ADs have softer lighting, which makes small surface imperfections impossible to detect. There is nothing better than sunlight to tell the condition of the dial and glass and any tiny dust or foreign particles. So it is not always possible to tell.

Small dings can be the same and you may notice it only at certain angles.

What about all those watches that have been sitting in the shop windows of our local ADs? They would have been handled day in day out.

So I have learnt to overlook a few things!

Personally I wouldn't mind if the discount is tempting.

I purchased a Breitling superocean a few years ago at half price, because of a small scratch on the case. I didn't mind at all to get the watch at this price.

Grand Master
    If I`m paying the money for a new watch (highly unlikely) it has to be new and unmarked, unless there's a discount involved and the marking is something I could easily put right myself. I`ve seen some bad examples of shop-soiled watches being offered as new, and I`d advise anyone to inspect a new watch before taking it home.

Unfortunately very few ADs have the facility to polish minor imperfections out; in the good old days that's what would happen and the customer would be none the wiser.

Paul

Banned
    A marked new watch is an oxymoron. A marked watch is not new and should be acknowledged and priced as such. Would I buy one? Absolutely, if I wanted it and the price was right.

I agree with the comments here.... If I'm paying full price (or close to full price, I want a new unmarked watch. If it has marks due to display and people handling it, (-that's what we used to call 'shop soiled'), it should be sold for very good second hand price.

If new, and full price it's factory fresh or nothing for me.

Craftsman
    Has to be absolutely perfect or I'd reject it, when I say absolutely perfect thats to 'my' eye i'm certainly not going to turn up at the AD with a lupe or microscope!!!

But if I can see any mark I'd not buy it even with a discount if I buy new I want it mint!

Master
    If I knew about it beforehand.... Then fine.... I bought a shop soiled JLC that had a very minor dink and a few micro swirlies on the case.... But it was a great deal, and I inspected the watch at the shop before I bought it so knew exactly what I was getting.....

This however got sent back..... Despite a good saving, it was advertised as new, and I could see the mark with my naked eye, on opening the box..... and feel it with my nail.....
    On sending a photo to the sales team, they agreed, it wasn't up to snuff

Looks like my one may have been worn and returned.... Who knows
    Last edited by Enoch; 16th July 2014 at 10:49.

Master
    When I bought my Nautilus, I ordered a brand new SEALED box direct from switzerland. I seldom buy new but doesnt mean I don't buy new either, depends on the watch and mood im in.

If I am buying new, I would definately NOT want any scratches or whatever on it, otherwise whats the point in buying new? If its out of production or rare, I would expect a reasonable discount to compensate for it but still I hate buying new which looks used.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    This however got sent back..... Despite a good saving, it was advertised as new, and I could see the mark with my naked eye, on opening the box..... and feel it with my nail.....
    On sending a photo to the sales team, they agreed, it wasn't up to snuff

Looks like my one may have been worn and returned.... Who knows
    Well done. A few swirlies is one thing, a palpable dink another.

And bits of someone else's skin behind the crown ain't nice.

When I first started buying watches I accepted a number of new watches at full price that had some minor marks but that was through naivety and the ignorance of youth thinking that the retailer in the flash showroom was there to help me...
    Having grown older, uglier and wiser if I'm buying a new watch today I generally ask for either a factory fresh order or a discount if its ex-display.
    Why?
    Because I've seen too many ex display models in national high street jewellers with shockers such as chavelled screw heads on a Rolex Explorer II or an Omega PO that I couldn't get on my wrist as someone had taken links out of the strap and put it on the wrong way around so the clasp opened on the 12 o'clock side... which the retailer hadn't noticed!
    It also saves arguing if you come to take it back for some other reason and they then notice the damage and say that you must have caused it so can't accept it back as it's no longer in the same condition as when sold.

I often ask them to order me a brand new model as the one in the window is too marked, even if only very slightly.

I have let it slide a couple of times as I was getting a good discount or it was rare/discontinued or I wanted the watch quickly but I shouldn't have really.

The way these watches are treated by assistants banging them on cabinets and dragging them along counters is pretty appalling. Makes me cringe even seeing one being laid on a hard surface rather than one of their service mats.

I would never treat anyone else's watches that way, let alone my own.

Master
    Personally, one of the reasons I like secondhand/vintage watches is because they're not perfect. That said, I don't want them dinked to death.

However, when I buy a new watch, although I check it with a loupe in the shop, I never do afterwards. Dinks you don't see don't hurt.

Journeyman
    Like was said above.. New is New.

Discounted is for a reason.

Master
    There has been a few frustrating experiences in the last year, and hence raising this question again. Nothing about the brand but first one is POC with a loose crown that won't wind last summer. I have just noticed a tiny spec on the dial of my new Speedy Co axial chronograph. As these both cost in excess of 5k each am I asking too much for perfect pieces? I suppose the Speedy will have to go back, although Omega was very quick last year in rectifying the problem!

Dohhhhhh!

Marks on new watches?

Also worth remembering the Sale of Goods Act when complaining.
    Retailers often love to push the problem back to the manufacturers in the first instance since as soon as they touch it your rights are changed and the dispute is now between you and the manufacturer allowing the retailer to take a step back.
    I found this out many years ago with a dud Rolex Explorer - the retailer refused an exchange or refund but would send it back to Rolex for repair as a favour... I refused this on advice of a solicitor friend and within 20 minutes I had the choice of a refund or new watch!
    Last edited by adg31; 16th July 2014 at 12:05. Reason: fat finger typo

Master
    If new from shop/AD I like it to be perfect,
    not always the case when you see them handed around and tried on by several people though

even special orders seem to be 'passed around' I tried a deepsea on a few years ago (carefully) at my local AD, this particular watch was already reserved and waiting to be collected, wonder how many hands it went through before the buyer saw it.

Master
    I wouldn't dream of selling a second hand watch without giving it a thorough clean and inspection before sending it off...

It's a pretty poor show, receiving a brand new one that's got left over particles on it.... At the end of the day it would have taken 5 minutes to give a quick inspection, and wipe over.....

I don't blame the sales folk on line, they can only work with what they have, but as said above, sales staff in the shops have a lot to answer for, when it comes to handling expensive stock.....

On a seperate note, I saw a heuer Silverstone at the TAG outlet, that looked like it had been knocked about good and proper.... It was the same price as the minty fresh one next to it.....guess which one I bought??:)

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I used to buy watches to wear and enjoy and a few marks or even small dings would not worry me, if I get a good discount. I will probably do the same thing to it at some stage. I note that many of you prefer a new watch to be near perfect before purchase. I am now getting that way and could understand it if you are going to drop a few thousands on a watch or you have to pay close to rrp. At the end of the day would you reject a new watch with a few imperfections?
    I wouldn't reject the watch for a few dings, they don't detract from the enjoyment factory, in fact in most instances I'll add my own dings (aka "little life experiences") to a watch so it doesn't matter if it starts off with a few marks, the purpose of the watch is to tell the time, if it does that well enough then I'll be happy.

If I was purchasing a new watch with warranty and it had deep grooves then I might reject it, depends on how much saving I'd make over new.

In the past happily bough high end HiFi (really high end) with decent discount due to minor blemishes or because it's been ex-demo, still sounds superb.

Master
    what I don't understand is why don't at least the boutiques just carry like a "demo" or "sample" of every model in the catalogue apart from perhaps a few super limited or very high value ones so everyone can try it on, change straps see how it looks etc. Then if the customer wants it, they just bring a new one from the back. Seems like a far superior way to sell.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    what I don't understand is why don't at least the boutiques just carry like a "demo" or "sample" of every model in the catalogue apart from perhaps a few super limited or very high value ones so everyone can try it on, change straps see how it looks etc. Then if the customer wants it, they just bring a new one from the back. Seems like a far superior way to sell.
    Being in sales I can tell you a few reasons.
    1. Space. Most boutiques carry 200 upwards watches. Boxes tend to be piled high in the back unsecured, but watches will always be locked away. Imagine storing an extra few hundred boxes and watches. You'd basically need that idea to be profitable enough to justify another small storage room.
    2. Cost. Most shops and boutiques aren't run by the watch companies. They have to buy the stock upfront so that would mean buying tons of extra stock which because they are only display pieces, difficult to recoup the money on them.
    3. Perception. The longer a watch is on display, the more those little swirls, scuffs, etc will accumulate. On a popular watch turnover is high so most watches only get tried on by 2-3 people before it is sold and replaced. If you keep one on display and it gets ragged, when someone is trying it on they will notice all of the scuffs and marks before noticing the watch.
    4. Availability. Some brands make loads of watches, but for some of the luxury brands, enough stock simply does not exist to have display AND stock models.

Saying that, most retailers are happy to order factory fresh stock if the person is willing to wait. I am more forgiving for a beater or everyday watch and more fussy for special occasion watches though.

Master
    I get your point but perhaps it's not quite exactly what I meant. Like inventory can be the same as before. I didn't mean the boutique can just have ALL the watches in stock. What I mean is that there can be all the display ones for the client to try etx. Then they can ether other that from the factory or get it from the back "if" they already have it in stock. if not can order from factory. So basically what I mean is they dun need to do anything different, just the watch companies should aens these demo pieces that's it. stock levels can be the same as before. I feel this system is perhaps even safer avoiding watches being dropped, robbed on the spot etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCat View Post
    Being in sales I can tell you a few reasons.
    1. Space. Most boutiques carry 200 upwards watches. Boxes tend to be piled high in the back unsecured, but watches will always be locked away. Imagine storing an extra few hundred boxes and watches. You'd basically need that idea to be profitable enough to justify another small storage room.
    2. Cost. Most shops and boutiques aren't run by the watch companies. They have to buy the stock upfront so that would mean buying tons of extra stock which because they are only display pieces, difficult to recoup the money on them.
    3. Perception. The longer a watch is on display, the more those little swirls, scuffs, etc will accumulate. On a popular watch turnover is high so most watches only get tried on by 2-3 people before it is sold and replaced. If you keep one on display and it gets ragged, when someone is trying it on they will notice all of the scuffs and marks before noticing the watch.
    4. Availability. Some brands make loads of watches, but for some of the luxury brands, enough stock simply does not exist to have display AND stock models.

Saying that, most retailers are happy to order factory fresh stock if the person is willing to wait. I am more forgiving for a beater or everyday watch and more fussy for special occasion watches though.
    Pretty much says it all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I get your point but perhaps it's not quite exactly what I meant. Like inventory can be the same as before. I didn't mean the boutique can just have ALL the watches in stock. What I mean is that there can be all the display ones for the client to try etx. Then they can ether other that from the factory or get it from the back "if" they already have it in stock. if not can order from factory. So basically what I mean is they dun need to do anything different, just the watch companies should aens these demo pieces that's it. stock levels can be the same as before. I feel this system is perhaps even safer avoiding watches being dropped, robbed on the spot etc.
    The problem with not selling from display or having stock, is there's a good chance the buyer will buy elsewhere or talk themselves out of it.
    Strike while the iron is hot, springs to mind.

Master
    Looks like beaverbrooks have come up trumps again for me...... Replacement on its way..

Have to say that despite my slight disappointment with the original delivery, they've gone out of their way to rectify the situation... So can't ask fairer than that...:)

Master
    All of my NEW watches have come from WoS, I 'insist' that they are with stickers still in place or sealed in poly bags.

The PP that I got from them was in it's poly bag and that's how it left the shop.
    I understand that this practice has been ceased by PP, all watches are now removed from the bags by the AD, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Stickers from the Rolex I collected last Friday
    IMG_0196 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    All of my NEW watches have come from WoS, I 'insist' that they are with stickers still in place or sealed in poly bags.

The PP that I got from them was in it's poly bag and that's how it left the shop.
    I understand that this practice has been ceased by PP, all watches are now removed from the bags by the AD, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Stickers from the Rolex I collected last Friday
    IMG_0196 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
    I got my nautilus straight from the factory. it was in a sealed poly bag. But it wasn't from WoS it was the boutique on bond st.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Looks like beaverbrooks have come up trumps again for me...... Replacement on its way..

Have to say that despite my slight disappointment with the original delivery, they've gone out of their way to rectify the situation... So can't ask fairer than that...:)
    Great news - and all credit to Beaverbrooks

If its got marks its not new, its used or old/damaged/display stock, and should you be ok with that then you should haggle a compromise deal.

You would with a car, pair of shoes or pretty much anything else, (sorry if this opinion is a repeat of others)
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Also worth remembering the Sale of Goods Act when complaining.
    This!

Master
    If I am buying a new car, I don't expect it to have scratches or dents in it.
    If I am buying nearly new or second hand, I would expect any damage to be factored into the price

The same goes for watches (and pretty much anything)

Master
    I bought my Monaco from an AD a few months ago, I'd seen it in the window several times but there was no way I was going to pay full RRP for it so when I walked past and saw a huge reduction sticker on it I managed to persuade SWMBO to at least let me go in and try it on.
    I already knew I was going to buy it before I walked in so it had only been on my wrist for a few minutes before I was reaching for my credit card. It was at this point the sales assistant asked me if I had noticed the small ding on one of the lugs, and that this was part of the reason for the big reduction, along with a sale they had on at the time. I looked and saw the mark straight away, I could feel it with the tip of my finger nail so knew it wasn't going to polish out. Fair play to the guy for pointing it out because I was so blinkered by the fact I was just about to get my hands on the watch I had lusted after for so long that I didn't notice it and probably wouldn't have done until I got it home.
    I was at this point gutted about it because I just couldn't spend that sort of money for it not to be absolutely perfect, I think the guy sensed I was probably about to shed a tear in the middle of his shop so he went and spoke to another assistant and when he came back he offered me the one that had the ding for a further £100 reduction or a pristine one from the back room which had never been on display for the sale price I had seen in the window!
    Needless to say I went for the pristine one and still smile every time I look at it, apologies for the long post!

Master
    I've just been dealing with this over the last couple of days.

I wanted to get one of the Citizen Royal Marine Commando watches in the sales and finally managed to get one over the weekend which arrived yesterday. The watch was obviously a 'display model' (no stickers) and had a scratch on the titanium clasp.

I phoned up the shop straight away only to be told there are none left in the company, at which I expressed my dissatisfaction. Fast forward to today and I get a call from head office offering me an additional £40.00 off as a 'gesture of goodwill' which I thought was fair and accepted.

I then telephoned Citizen to ask how much a new titanium clasp would set me back, expecting the worst, and they said that they would send a new one out free of charge.

So all together I have the watch I wanted, with a 62% discount, (if my maths is right), and a spare titanium clasp as well.

The watch is great by the way, a modern day 'Ray Mears'.

If I buy a new watch at an AD the watch should be mint without any issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EdHughes1 View Post
    I then telephoned Citizen to ask how much a new titanium clasp would set me back, expecting the worst, and they said that they would send a new one out free of charge.
    I too have found Citizen to be very helpful.

I don't normally buy my watches from an AD but we were on holiday and I decided to buy a Tag Heuer Link chronograph.This was over 8 years ago.The one handed to me was marked slightly and obviously the one used in the front window.I refused it and was offered one that was in the store room that was totally unworn.As many members have said NEW tips NEW not tried and tested.

Apprentice
    If I am buying from an AD then I expect it to be factory fresh if gray market then small
    Marks are ok

As always, condition should be reflected in price and, to buy, the condition needs to be acceptable.

If I want factory fresh I order from the factory with clear instructions to to AD. Anything in stock is shop worn and negotiable.
    Gray

Journeyman
    When I buy shoes or clothes, I imagine others have tried them on so that isn't really a big deal for me. If there is a giant smear of someone's foundation on the collar however that will be. With watches I consider it in a similar way. Even with cars, chances are it has been driven, even if just a mile or two to move it around the lot. For me it depends on a few factors: does it look perfect or is there wear, do I need it now or do I have time to order in a fresh one, if it has wear can I get discount.

Saying all of that, it cracks me up when people ask for a factory fresh limited edition watch.