closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega PO strap options

Master
    Blog Entries

Omega PO strap options

Evening all,
    My wife's cousin has a PO with the standard bracelet. He can't get a great fit so is on the lookout for a strap. He's not a fan of rubber so leather it is.
    Its a black bezel one with the white indicies, so no lairy orange suggestions!
    Before I go down the OE route, any other suggestions?
    Pictures if possible?
    Thanks in advance

Craftsman
    Go with original Omega piece. It is worth it.

-OD

Nato?

Canvas?

Kevlar?

OEM stitched rubber? (I know that you said he's not a fan of rubber, but it's not a "normal" rubber.

Isofrane? (as above)

For me, the bracelet is the best option for a Planet Ocean, and it's worth persevering to get it to fit properly. If ever a bracelet was crying out for an adjustable clasp........

Anyway, dive watches on leather are a crime against nature.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Hmm ... Imo the original bracelet is not 100% good looking. I wear mine on a mesh while diving/pretending to go diving, otherwise on a black/black ring zulu. Right now however on this:
    uploadfromtaptalk1405544291179.jpg

Not perfect, but it's summertime and it fits my rural dress code

Apprentice
    There was a version on brown alligator strap.

I've tried a honey Hirsch Modena and a black Hirsch Heavy Calf, liked it! But now I just use the bracelet or the OEM stitched rubber strap.

Blog Entries
    Omega mesh suits the PO IMO really well. They are marmite. Either love or hate

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Anyway, dive watches on leather are a crime against nature.
    Isn't "nature" now describable as "wearing hi-test dive watches in social settings such as barbecues or the opera"? :)

Omega sells a nylon NATO for £130-odd. It may be ten times the price of a likely superior alternative, but well, you know, it's branded in all the right places!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I was in the same boat as your wife's cousin with regard to rubber straps and wanted to get a leather strap for mine.

I went to the omega boutique to try a leather strap but they offered the rubber one instead. Feels great on and I can't imagine wearing it on anything else.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What is the lug width on the PO? If 20mm, I can lend you the stitched rubber if you want to try it.

The rubber is suitably curved to fit the case which, for the SeMP 300m, is truly lovely and expect the same for the PO.

Banned
    I wore it on Omega rubber which was nice and good to wear, but this watch on leather well I do not know it does not work for this watch much better on OEM

Banned
    There's a few ideas on the Toshi website.

http://toshi-straps.co.uk/gallery/

This is my territory! My strap buying OCD has reached a peak with my Planet Ocean, I must have at least bought 8 straps plus the Omega bracelet and mesh at the last count!

Hirsch Medici has curved ends and looks good for the price. As the Captain, said Toshi are great and Carl made a cracking GGB strap for my orange PO.
    Last edited by bigvic; 17th July 2014 at 09:38.

Grand Master
    It might be possible to get a better fit by using 2 half-links to get a finer adjustment. I`m assuming only one's supplied. In some cases , fitting a half-link doesn`t change the length by 50% of a full-link, but in some cases it does. Annoyingly, the bracelets where that's the case don`t have 2 half-links supplied! The 1610/930 used on the 2254.50 is a classic example; a better fit can often be obtained by juggling around with 2 half-links.....but Omega only supplied one! In the good old days an extra half-link cost £12, nowadays it'll be around £35.

Careful measurements with a caliper will be needed to determine whether this is a viable way forward to solve the problem.

As for straps, I`m currently wearing a SMP black bond on a black leather strap with white stitching which cost me about £18 from Cousins. Quality is good, it's nicely padded and it suits the watch. Might be a good option on a PO for not much cash. Only drawback is the lack of waterproofing on the leather, but I fixed that using a silicone waterproof treatment that's made for outdoor clothing. Nice brushed steel buckle too, which could be swapped for an Omega one.

Quality looks good, it's nicely worn in after 1 month of regular wear, and it looks like it'll last OK.

Here's the link to Cousins website:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/0/...=S33629#select

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th July 2014 at 11:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    What is the lug width on the PO? If 20mm, I can lend you the stitched rubber if you want to try it.

The rubber is suitably curved to fit the case which, for the SeMP 300m, is truly lovely and expect the same for the PO.
    Thats really kind of you thank you. I'll talk to him and see if I can persuade him to go for rubber!

Thanks for all the other suggestions also. I'll show him the photos in the thread so he can get an idea of what's out there :)

Journeyman
    Does he have two of the small links or just one? The small links are actually 3/4ths not a half. That means two small links equals 1 1/2 links. Using two of the small links I was able to get a perfect fit. The OEM stitched rubber for the first gen 2500 PO's does not have a reputation for holding up well. I haven't had any issues with the solid rubber.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Thats really kind of you thank you. I'll talk to him and see if I can persuade him to go for rubber!

Thanks for all the other suggestions also. I'll show him the photos in the thread so he can get an idea of what's out there :)
    No worries. To clarify it is the stitched rubber on deployant on offer. The fitted rubber is specific to the PO compared to the straight-ended stitched. I prefer the fitted rubber but YMMV.