closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Battle of Britain book

Craftsman

Battle of Britain book

Greetings:

Just wanted to pass on a good read if your interested in the Battle of Britain. I just finished Duel of Eagles by the great RAF fighter pilot Peter Townsend. A superb book which narrates what many consider to be the most intense and important air combat in history.

Researching the Battle of Britain has been a hobby of mine ever since I was seconded by the USAF to RAF Mindenhall in the early 90's. I've read volumes by various authors and this book is probably the best. I highly recommend it. Enjoy!

Would this be the Group Captain Peter Townsend who was a paramour of Princess Margaret but they weren't allowed to marry because he had been divorced?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Re: Battle of Britain book

Quote Originally Posted by Pararescue
    Greetings:

Just wanted to pass on a good read if your interested in the Battle of Britain. I just finished Duel of Eagles by the great RAF fighter pilot Peter Townsend. A superb book which narrates what many consider to be the most intense and important air combat in history.

Researching the Battle of Britain has been a hobby of mine ever since I was seconded by the USAF to RAF Mindenhall in the early 90's. I've read volumes by various authors and this book is probably the best. I highly recommend it. Enjoy!
    I have a Robert Taylor Battle of Britain print titled 'Duel of Eagles' featuring a duel between Douglas Bader and Adolf Galland and it is signed by both pilots ... copy of it here http://wings-fine-arts.ebusiness-apps.c ... e/4284.htm ... Bought mine together with a print of B17 'Sally B' 25 years ago .. at that time my brother in law was the Weather Commander at RAF/USAF Lakenheath which is very close to RAF Mildenhall ... I gave him the 'Sally B' print and at one time it was hanging at Lakenheath.

Dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Would this be the Group Captain Peter Townsend who was a paramour of Princess Margaret but they weren't allowed to marry because he had been divorced?

Eddie
    I don't believe so. This Peter Townsend was born in Rangoon in 1914, led 85 squadron in the Battle of Britain, and Equerry to King George VI and Queen Elizabeth until 1953. As I recall the Townsend to which you refer was quite a bit younger.

Craftsman

Eddie
    Looks they are one and the same http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Se ... _Townsend.. I can't post the direct link, but click on the Group Captain.

He must have looked young for his age.

Craftsman

Re: Battle of Britain book

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Greetings:

I have a Robert Taylor Battle of Britain print titled 'Duel of Eagles' featuring a duel between Douglas Bader and Adolf Galland and it is signed by both pilots ... copy of it here http://wings-fine-arts.ebusiness-apps.c ... e/4284.htm ... Bought mine together with a print of B17 'Sally B' 25 years ago .. at that time my brother in law was the Weather Commander at RAF/USAF Lakenheath which is very close to RAF Mildenhall ... I gave him the 'Sally B' print and at one time it was hanging at Lakenheath.

Dunk
    That's a beautiful print Dunk. Robert Taylor's work is simply awesome. BTW, my dad was a bombardier with the 8th USAAF in Coventry during the war. He met my mom there.

I always enjoy fond memories of my service at RAF Mildenhall. RAF Flight Sergeants are the best. Great people, ales and whiskies from the masters and beautiful sights. My favorite memory though is of a terrific traditional English breakfast in the NAAFI.

Eddie
    I don't believe so. This Peter Townsend was born in Rangoon in 1914, led 85 squadron in the Battle of Britain, and Equerry to King George VI and Queen Elizabeth until 1953. As I recall the Townsend to which you refer was quite a bit younger.
    Its the same bloke. :)

I believe he flew Hurricanes out of Croydon in the battle of Britain.

I've always had an interest in the BoB as I live somewhere between the two BoB airfields of Kenley and Biggin Hill.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Just started a new read. It's a original first edition of Enemy Coast Ahead by Wing Commander Guy Gibson. Terrific book. I've read it three times before but it's a favorite by a man who I view as a real hero.

Blog Entries

Eddie
    Eddie

What wonderfully old fashioned English,today he would called a "squeeze"

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Have a print by Robert Taylor, of a famous Mosquito Raid of WW2. Have not got around to framing it-it's still in the tube!

BoB is an interest-a great battle.

Bader was a great pilot, however his proponence of 'the big wing' tactic was not such a success. It put him at odds with the wonderful 11 Group Commander, Keith Park.

Best wishes,
    AP :)

Another worthwhile BoB read is "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum. Gives a real insight into the physical and mental demands of being a frontline fighter pilot in 1940.

I'd also recommend "The Last Enemy" by Richard Hillary

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney
    Another worthwhile BoB read is "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum. Gives a real insight into the physical and mental demands of being a frontline fighter pilot in 1940.
    I'll second 'First Light' - it is a very 'modern' read for a WWII biography, possibly because it was only published recently.

-- Tim