closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Sumo MKII Project

Seiko Sumo MKII Project

Picked up a pretty decent Orange Sumo off SC. Case and bracelet needed tidying and crystal had a mark so this was an ideal candidate for a mod I had in mind for a while.

I've always liked the size and comfort of the sumo case and since getting hold of a SBDX001 I remembered how good some of the modern Seiko's can be.

So on with some work on the case, bezel and bracelet to add some more brushed finishes and tone down the bling.

I had a new NE15B(6R15) movement and NOS Bill Yao MKII dial and hands which I decided to transplant so I could keep the orange Sumo configuration untouched if needed later.

Finally I added sapphire crystal, polished minute track and replacement bezel insert. Whitened the lume pip to match... and the project was complete.

Last edited by mrwozza70; 18th July 2014 at 13:34.

Master
    Good job, Like that a lot.

Add me to the fan club. Do like the "shine removal" that has been been done.

I like that a lot. I have often thought of a sumo as a mod donor but seeing that makes me sure I need one. Well done. :)

Very good. Just don't like the bezel insert. I would prefer something without such a mix of markers and numerals .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Thank you so much. I wish there were more choice on the bezel inserts but as far as I know YOBOKIES is only place to get them and options are few. Maybe if more people modded Sumo the options would expand :-)

Journeyman
    Love this project! Simplicity of dial and bezel is a great mix.

Craftsman
    I also like it a lot!

Grand Master
    I guess if you really like the Sumo case and the mod you did then well you had to do the mod.
    But tbh for me the Sumo is a cracking watch and no need to do anything IMO,their are enough of that look without having to mod a Sumo.

You may be right but then I wouldn't have been able to build this ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    You may be right but then I wouldn't have been able to build this ;-)

Hi Brad,

First picture seems to have black surrounds on the markers, the second one doesn't, is it the same dial on both? Might just be the angle, but intrigued.

Oh...and when do you want to sell me this one too ;-)

Hi Matt... It's just the lighting... Definitely chrome not black. This was a very spontaneous mod thanks to a well priced SKX with a Yobokies Sapphire on SC (with some great NATOs bundled in). And from the Sumo project I had the complete Orange Sumo movement, dial and hands to simply drop in. Add the SARB059 crown/stem for the 6R15 - like yours - and the Murphy. Voila!

I'm loving it on this grey Maratac...

It might be one I let go eventually as I know I'm a lazy quartz diver convert ;-) I'll keep you posted.

Master
    Hi Matt... It's just the lighting... Definitely chrome not black. This was a very spontaneous mod thanks to a well priced SKX with a Yobokies Sapphire on SC (with some great NATOs bundled in). And from the Sumo project I had the complete Orange Sumo movement, dial and hands to simply drop in. Add the SARB059 crown/stem for the 6R15 - like yours - and the Murphy. Voila!

I'm loving it on this grey Maratac...

It might be one I let go eventually as I know I'm a lazy quartz diver convert ;-) I'll keep you posted.
    Amazing how the angle / lighting makes such a changes, makes me love it more.

Is it a standard SKX insert?

You know you love batteries more ;-)

Something about grey straps that just seem to work with the case, love my TF PVDs & monkeyswag grey Zulus