closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 - Diet / Training - Are you on Track?

Apprentice
    No, I need to keep it down ;)

When my wife works lates I train at home.with the sworkit app on Android. It's a home cardio circuit that needs no equipment. You can chose different intensities and styles. Absolutely brilliant.

Grand Master
    TRX is a great bit of kit, seems like alot for the money but is great, theres a few chippy versions but the original is worth it, I know as I have seen them used day in day out by multiple users and still work fine hence why I invested
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a rather fysical life and also try to maintain a routine of a morning run down to the village and back. That is the good bit.

A large part of my life is enjoying it to the full going out in charming company and despite not drinking alcohol then, even just sushi, salads and tapas add up. That is the bad side.

This year is more socially active, with several diner/concert night per week, then ever thus the challenge to keep the intake down is greater than ever too.

Im 5,8 in height and weigh 77 kg.I run 4 times a week (treadmill),about 5k which takes me 24-25 minutes.(trying to improve my time .Any advise?

I also use some of the weight machines in the gym and I have gone toned on my upper chest & shoulders.Though my tummy/abs is not flat ,a tiny bit flabby (I want to get it toned) Anyone got any advise on whats best to do?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Im 5,8 in height and weigh 77 kg.I run 4 times a week (treadmill),about 5k which takes me 24-25 minutes.(trying to improve my time .Any advise?

I also use some of the weight machines in the gym and I have gone toned on my upper chest & shoulders.Though my tummy/abs is not flat ,a tiny bit flabby (I want to get it toned) Anyone got any advise on whats best to do?
    Fat weightloss will occurr intially in men around the arms and shoulders. It will often then move to the chest and back and finally you'll see some off the belly. Thats a general rule of thumb for the non-obese so dont be surprised it it takes a while to see your abs!

As for the running I presume you do it in a gym. Eiher speak to an instructor or look to vary your routine. Progress will come from mixing up the speeds/distances/styles/excercise types.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    This year I have moved from weights three times a week, mainly basic compound movements, to four times a week, twice being the Olympic lifts. Loving the speed and difficult technique of the Olympic lifts. Sometimes it can be frustrating but it's a great feeling when you get the bar above your head and then let it fall onto the floor.

Definitely noticed a difference in flexibility and speed as well as being leaner. Getting close to having my body weight above my head which is my immediate aim.

This morning I achieved my aim of lifting my body weight above my head (clean and jerk), it wasn't pretty but I managed it!

Obviously it's easier if you lose weight but then as your strength increases, muscle mass goes up, making it harder again...

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    Fat weightloss will occurr intially in men around the arms and shoulders. It will often then move to the chest and back and finally you'll see some off the belly. Thats a general rule of thumb for the non-obese so dont be surprised it it takes a while to see your abs!

As for the running I presume you do it in a gym. Eiher speak to an instructor or look to vary your routine. Progress will come from mixing up the speeds/distances/styles/excercise types.
    Personally, I'd say you lose fat everywhere or nowhere. It may appear that you lose belly fat last, but your arms, legs and back etc. will be getting much leaner all the time, and by the time your abs come through your shoulders and arms will have visible vascularity.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Thanks to Uke I have now discovered turkey mince :)
    Cooked up with finely sliced mushrooms and red onions, tons of cumin, turmeric and cayenne, and served up with broccoli - and no oil...its amazing stuff...I cant get enough of it now.

Im 45 now and I'm lucky in that my metabolism is still running well, I don't drink alcohol, don't do sugar (although that is VERY hard), and I cardio every day...my wife thinks I'm 'obsessed' and 'mad' but it makes me chuckle when people guess my age at 28!

One thing I will say is that this is all a state of mind, you have to want to do it and you have to persevere - you get out what you put in.

Its good to see that on here, there are a people hitting their goals, that should all be good encouragement for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    lol
    :-) Meat sweats here we come.

I'm eating between 200 and 250g of protein a day. usually a mix of chicken, tuna, beef and then a protein bar& maybe a protein shake Zachary training if I need it. I think I'll probably try and get 50% of that from chicken, or I'll end up far too much tuna.

I'm open to other options, but need to be getting those levels in.
    Have you tried game as an alternative? I find it much tastier than chicken. I use a lot of venison, pheasant and partridge, I think it's at least as lean as chicken but the venison especially is very versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    Thanks to Uke I have now discovered turkey mince :)
    Cooked up with finely sliced mushrooms and red onions, tons of cumin, turmeric and cayenne, and served up with broccoli - and no oil...its amazing stuff...I cant get enough of it now.

Im 45 now and I'm lucky in that my metabolism is still running well, I don't drink alcohol, don't do sugar (although that is VERY hard), and I cardio every day...my wife thinks I'm 'obsessed' and 'mad' but it makes me chuckle when people guess my age at 28!

One thing I will say is that this is all a state of mind, you have to want to do it and you have to persevere - you get out what you put in.

Its good to see that on here, there are a people hitting their goals, that should all be good encouragement for the rest of us.
    Ah great stuff mate, glad you're enjoying it! That sounds like a cracking meal right there

I couldn't agree more about the 'state of mind'. I found when it comes to the food side of things, the surest path to success is seeing it not as a diet, but as a way of life...with the odd cheat meal thrown in of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorrocks View Post
    Have you tried game as an alternative? I find it much tastier than chicken. I use a lot of venison, pheasant and partridge, I think it's at least as lean as chicken but the venison especially is very versatile.
    I used to eat a lot of venison, but can't eat it for some reason at the minute.

Journeyman
    Who else uses TRX on here apart from 100th?
    Anybody use pocket wod app on ipad/pod...views on either of the above?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    Who else uses TRX on here apart from 100th?
    Anybody use pocket wod app on ipad/pod...views on either of the above?
    TRX is a perfect go anywhere bit of kit, holidays always but its extremely effective and I imagine a little niche in terms of use, its one of those things that once you realise the capabilities and scope of its use you would never be without one!

PS I think I have a spare!
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Cool, what spare one you got? Want to PM me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    TRX is a perfect go anywhere bit of kit, holidays always but its extremely effective and I imagine a little niche in terms of use, its one of those things that once you realise the capabilities and scope of its use you would never be without one!

Banned
    I use TRX from time to time as part of my routine, I like to change things around every few months or so.

I don't want to appear stupid but how do you suspend the trx on your ceiling? Have you had to install some sort of mount? And how would you be able to use it on holiday? I may be getting the wrong end of the stick completely but it looks like something that would need installation.

Steve

Grand Master
    Theres always something to strap it to, a tree or a bar plus it always has the door jam fixing that works fine
    RIAC

Theres always something to strap it to, a tree or a bar plus it always has the door jam fixing that works fine
    I didn't realise there was a door mount. Thanks, looks good.

Craftsman
    I normally like to take a pull up bar away with me, but this TRX kit looks really interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

I got a free copy of men's health magazine with my protein powder this month.

It really is a terrible magazine.

It's no wonder people buy into nutrition myths with some of the hocum they peddle. A huge shame when you consider people read it to be informed. It goes from demonising sugar and praising fats to then pushing low fat diets and really heavily marketing supplements within the articles.

The problem with the magazines selling diets and exercise programs is, if they put it all in one issue they'd be out of business. There is enough research to tell you the best % of max for weights, the most beneficial rep range for growth (or strength), the best macros to eat and when - it's then up to the individuals to put it all together into a change of lifestyle or weekly/monthly routine.

It's not rocket science, but a more scientific approach will bring greater benefits.

Banned
    I agree that men's health is a truly appalling magazine. Possibly the worst Ive read.

my favourite magazine was Muscle Media, back in the day (once it moved away from hard core juicing). For me the magazine was a bit of inspiration to stay on track, an update on research, some interesting new training ideas to try once in a while.

not found anything worth reading since it went.

I generally couldn't be bothered reading any of the fitness industry magazines in the last 10/15 years or so - they are regurgitate the same information in a different format. Or have the latest fitness model/bodybuilder explain their personal routine - without explaining what "supplements" they take or diet they are on, or whether or not they use the routine for bulking or cutting - which can be very misleading.

Thankfully most of the research information is available on-line. Even the stuff not freely available, I currently have access to most of that through my Uni library :)

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

When that's too much, here's another one about my favorite workout: tabata. E.g. this one:

Menno
    When I saw this I was really sceptical - 4 minutes is all you need, really? Well I did my first Tabata workout yesterday morning and I've got healthy aches everywhere today. I did the four minutes and, although breathing pretty hard, I thought I'd do the routine again to make it an 8 minute workout.

I'm going to keep it going to see if it can have medium - long terms results. I'm someone who struggles to find time in a week to exercise so this appeals to me.

David

Initially 4 mins might be enough, but like any cardio based effort - unless you up the time or the tempo each time your not going to improve. Think of running or cycling. At first it might be hard, but very soon you can cover substantially more distance, or push harder.

All training methods work, but the sensational headline short workouts are t going to do it by themselves. A total change of diet and lifestyle is the only real answer.

Recent research is showing the very short/intense fast burst exercise has the best time/response - but 5 mins exercise per day is not going to burn many calories - so while it might help some elite athletes to adapt some of the methods being researched, most couch potatoes aren't going to benefit much.

I still add, anything is better than nothing.

I had a really good year with fitness and weightloss last year but am at a major plateau at the moment. Just can't shift anything. I've lost over 5st since 2011 (got to 6st at one point).

Been healthy eating for a long period now and living on 5:2 since January 2013 (give or take a few weeks) and I really enjoy it. However, recently I've put a few lbs back on and weigh about 8lb more than I did at my best in September 2013. I'm still over 5st less than I was as I say. May be that I'm now set in the 5:2 way and it doesn't help me lose anything anymore.

But feel 'big' and chubby and feel I'm growing around the waist again for some reason. I exercise regularly (3-4 times a week) and vary this, doing HiiT, Kettlebells, spinning and Body Attack or Pump. But as I say, I just seem to be stuck at the moment.

Off on a stag do in 2 weeks to Magaluf (eek) and was hoping to lose a bit before but it just isn't happening. Very frustrating!

Initially 4 mins might be enough, but like any cardio based effort - unless you up the time or the tempo each time your not going to improve. Think of running or cycling. At first it might be hard, but very soon you can cover substantially more distance, or push harder.

All training methods work, but the sensational headline short workouts are t going to do it by themselves. A total change of diet and lifestyle is the only real answer.

Recent research is showing the very short/intense fast burst exercise has the best time/response - but 5 mins exercise per day is not going to burn many calories - so while it might help some elite athletes to adapt some of the methods being researched, most couch potatoes aren't going to benefit much.

I still add, anything is better than nothing.
    I'd agree with much of that however for me who is permanently pushed for time, 8 minutes high intensity exercise at both ends of each day in the house is something that appeals. I can already see how varying the exercises to hit different body parts is the way to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    When I saw this I was really sceptical - 4 minutes is all you need, really? Well I did my first Tabata workout yesterday morning and I've got healthy aches everywhere today. I did the four minutes and, although breathing pretty hard, I thought I'd do the routine again to make it an 8 minute workout.

Personally I was always under the impression that "Tabata" or "Tabata style" stuff should always be the same exercise, rather than 8 seemingly random exercises, every time I have tried it you couldn't have paid me to do another 4 minutes right away.
    These might be worth a read.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._tabata_method
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._perfected&cr=

I would suggest grabbing a weight and trying the 4 minutes of fun with a squat as many reps as possible for each set and then seeing how you get on.

On another note I am best part of 2 stone down so far this year, gone from 0 to 5 wide grip pull ups and generally feel a lot better about myself, also no longer despise running only hate it quite a lot now few miles on a weekend combined with hill sprints and my usual training have worked wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I had a really good year with fitness and weightloss last year but am at a major plateau at the moment. Just can't shift anything. I've lost over 5st since 2011 (got to 6st at one point).

Been healthy eating for a long period now and living on 5:2 since January 2013 (give or take a few weeks) and I really enjoy it. However, recently I've put a few lbs back on and weigh about 8lb more than I did at my best in September 2013. I'm still over 5st less than I was as I say. May be that I'm now set in the 5:2 way and it doesn't help me lose anything anymore.

But feel 'big' and chubby and feel I'm growing around the waist again for some reason. I exercise regularly (3-4 times a week) and vary this, doing HiiT, Kettlebells, spinning and Body Attack or Pump. But as I say, I just seem to be stuck at the moment.

Off on a stag do in 2 weeks to Magaluf (eek) and was hoping to lose a bit before but it just isn't happening. Very frustrating!
    Well you either need to drop your cals on the 5 days further, or increase your energy expenditure. There maybe something to be gained in increasing your insulin sensitivity, if your truly at a plateau and feel you are eating the right amount though. Drop your fructose intake dramatically, drop simple sugars where possible, drop all/any trans fats in your diet, increase Omega 3's from natural sources, decrease Omega 6's as much as possible, add green tea to your diet, and try adding cinnamon - though are all research to help you transfer more carbs to your muscle cells, than to fat cells - every little helps. After insulin, you need to start looking at how foods effect other hormonal balances - otherwise forget trying to manipulate how your body processes different foods and like I said initially, either train more/harder, or eat less. I really don't like the idea of the 5:2 eating, but that's just me, and I have a couple of friends who have good steady losses with it - but are now at a steady weight and are just maintaining the loss.

Well you either need to drop your cals on the 5 days further, or increase your energy expenditure. There maybe something to be gained in increasing your insulin sensitivity, if your truly at a plateau and feel you are eating the right amount though. Drop your fructose intake dramatically, drop simple sugars where possible, drop all/any trans fats in your diet, increase Omega 3's from natural sources, decrease Omega 6's as much as possible, add green tea to your diet, and try adding cinnamon - though are all research to help you transfer more carbs to your muscle cells, than to fat cells - every little helps. After insulin, you need to start looking at how foods effect other hormonal balances - otherwise forget trying to manipulate how your body processes different foods and like I said initially, either train more/harder, or eat less. I really don't like the idea of the 5:2 eating, but that's just me, and I have a couple of friends who have good steady losses with it - but are now at a steady weight and are just maintaining the loss.
    I think that's me to be honest. Thanks for the info tho, and will take your comments on board. I've started to look into eating even better and have bought a book on good food and nutrition to try and train myself even further.

I think the frustration is I just want to lose one more stone and that's it and would be happy to stick at that weight, well fluctuate around that.

I currently base my standard day on 1850 calories (my metabolic calculation is about 1950 according to bupa) but may look at reducing that a little further.

Did a spinning class that was also high intensity (hiit) yesterday. Wow that was a tough one! Burnt the most calories I've ever done in a class though!

Being sat in front of a computer during the day at work certainly doesn't help but I haven't needed to actually lose weight for 13 years. Prior to that I was training very heavy at the gym but doing no cardio so the muscle bulk was accompanied by stomach bulk and hardly any vascularity. I made the decision to trim down and even though I lost size, for the first time I was seeing veins and a better shape. Nowadays I train as heavy as I can but recognise I don't have the strength I used to. Where I did 140kg squats at a body weight of about 66kg I now really struggle with 100kg and usually just do 80kg but make sure I go to parallel or below slowly under control. I weigh about 62-63kg so am naturally very light. I've also been doing salsa and other Latin styles for a few years so that provides the cardio. I'd say the one area i could improve is diet - not that I eat badly but I cannot seem to get the balance right between carbs, protein and fats. Scott (Omegamanic) helped me with some advice on proteins a while ago but I've found that trying to bulk with more food is just causing me to bloat and feel like a balloon :((

Hi Shane.

I too suffer bloat, when trying to increase too much. I think the real solution is to try incremental increases across your daily intake. If you were to add, say 250 cals a day of food across 4 or 5 meals (including snacks), then you shouldn't notice too much more bloat/full feeling with only around 50-60 cals extra per meal. Over time, maybe this could increase to 500 cals more per day, depending on your activity level, and whether you feel you are remaining lean.

Im finding that some protein powders, usually those with sweetners cause me more stomach bloat. So I'm avoiding a few of them, and trying out others.

Having slowly reintroduced breads, pasta and rice into my evening eating, I'm finding that I'm a lot more tolerant of any bloating from it. A large pizza still has huge effect though - but that's possible down to volume as well. The idea is that in around 8 weeks I'll gradually lower my carbs, and up the fats and protein a little more. Having reintroduced carbs in the evening, it should be relatively easy for me to drop them/lower them.

I'm also eating a lot better in general, and generally watching what I eat more. The treats are things like cheese, and bacon etc. with no more biscuits, snack bars, or chocolates and crisps. We still have a family meal every week, where anything goes and someone makes a desert (usually topped with extra cream) and we may go for a meal out each week - possibly still a takeaway every week or two (it was up to 2-3 times per week!).

Im happy with progress so far, and trying to make fairly bland protein rich meals taste a little better - trying new recipes is going ok.

Id say it's around 75% diet/eating regime, and 25% training. Off course you can offset more food intake with more activity - but there are a lot of people in the gyms training week after week, year after year, that are not getting any leaner, or stronger. Either they are happy to maintain, or they should be introducing some subtle changes.

Hi Scott

I suffer bloating mainly when I try to eat too much at one sitting. It's very easy after a heavy workout to eat a big meal but that's what I'm trying to avoid now. I don't think I'll ever be 'big' and probably for my height that's not a bad thing. After so many years training it goes against our basic instinct of trying to gain muscle mass, and although I try to eat every 3 hours or so, the actual meals aren't that big. I probably don't eat enough carbs, but I'm conscious of the fact that if I don't burn enough calories these will store as fat. I eat lots of mixed grains (kamut, barley, wild rice, etc), lentils, potatoes and protein is in the form of chicken, turkey, white fish and some red meat. I absolutely love lamb but try and restrict how many shish kebabs I eat :)

I haven't tried whey protein for years - not sure if they ever did me any good and they were disgusting 14-15 years ago. I think you're a heck of a lot bigger physically than I am so you have a bit more latitude to how much you can eat, plus you've had the experience of hardcore training, dieting down and also gained a lot of knowledge in the subject. I wish I'd spent more time on the dietary aspects because as you said, it's mainly about the food you consume. To give an example of this, a few years ago I had food poisoning at Christmas and all I ate for a week was dry turkey breast, baked potatoes and broccoli (no condiments apart from salt and pepper). Obviously I could not train at all, and had to rest the whole time. Well, I came back to work in better, leaner condition than before when I was training!

I'm not sure what changes I should be making but I do believe that it's the diet that will make all the difference. The problem is, I lose muscle (and fat) very easily if I do too much cardio and/or not eat and drink enough. It wouldn't be a problem if I were overweight or carrying too much fat.

Hi Shane.

I too suffer bloat, when trying to increase too much. I think the real solution is to try incremental increases across your daily intake. If you were to add, say 250 cals a day of food across 4 or 5 meals (including snacks), then you shouldn't notice too much more bloat/full feeling with only around 50-60 cals extra per meal. Over time, maybe this could increase to 500 cals more per day, depending on your activity level, and whether you feel you are remaining lean.

Im finding that some protein powders, usually those with sweetners cause me more stomach bloat. So I'm avoiding a few of them, and trying out others.

Having slowly reintroduced breads, pasta and rice into my evening eating, I'm finding that I'm a lot more tolerant of any bloating from it. A large pizza still has huge effect though - but that's possible down to volume as well. The idea is that in around 8 weeks I'll gradually lower my carbs, and up the fats and protein a little more. Having reintroduced carbs in the evening, it should be relatively easy for me to drop them/lower them.

I'm also eating a lot better in general, and generally watching what I eat more. The treats are things like cheese, and bacon etc. with no more biscuits, snack bars, or chocolates and crisps. We still have a family meal every week, where anything goes and someone makes a desert (usually topped with extra cream) and we may go for a meal out each week - possibly still a takeaway every week or two (it was up to 2-3 times per week!).

Im happy with progress so far, and trying to make fairly bland protein rich meals taste a little better - trying new recipes is going ok.

Id say it's around 75% diet/eating regime, and 25% training. Off course you can offset more food intake with more activity - but there are a lot of people in the gyms training week after week, year after year, that are not getting any leaner, or stronger. Either they are happy to maintain, or they should be introducing some subtle changes.

Although you would ordinarily look to cut some carbs, you possibly need a fair amount for your daily activities. Although looking at some good fats might also help.

A simple thing to think about is why, and how we lay down fat. Although we will put down fat after every meal to survive there are a few things to bear in mind. In the morning, when you just wake the body is flooded with cortisol, if you eat simple carbs such as fruit juice, or virtually any commercial cereals, then you lay down more fat than fuel to your muscles. Making sure you have a fairly high protein breakfast will help counteract this, and help to build, maintain and repair lean tissue. Eating a carb breakfast after your body had has no food for over 8 hours is a pretty crazy habit, that most people I work do every day.

similarly after you train the body is flooded with cortisol, so you want to make sure your next meal has good quality carbs and high protein.

Going to bed after eating high amounts of more simple carbs is another recipe for laying down more fat - but again most people I know eat sweet/deserts etc. in the evening.

I do believe that just by making subtle changes, most people would experience real benefits, and some people quite substantial changes.

My one issue is food restriction, as I love to eat. So increasing protein works well for me, as I feel full for longer. At least two days last week I wasn't able to hit my calorie intake target, which is unusual for me, and a sign of my diet cleaning up a little bit more.

Its harder being older, and the results of fat loss are t coming as quickly as I'd have liked. Also, my meds work completely against building size, or losing fat - so I can't do too much to manipulate my natural cortisol or thyroid hormones, having to take both of these as prescribed.

Hopefully if I keep coming back to this thread I keep myself on track and motivated. Mate at the gym is around 3 and a bit weeks out of his bodybuilding comp, and looks huge and lean, and whilst I have no intention of ever taking things to that extent, some of his techniques and dieting tips are pretty interesting, if not 100% applicable.

Resurrecting this as this years aim was to do IronMan UK which I did last Sunday.

Six months worth of training for that but a top day, and anyone who's done one, running down the finishing chute to be told "Malcolm, you are an Ironman" is a real special feeling.

Didn't quite go to plan as I had a real pain in my shoulder on the bike from about 20 miles which meant I couldn't turn or get on the aero bars without a real stabbing pain so that slowed me down and it was just double hot on the run.

But my first attempt, 16 1/2 hours so gives me a time to aim at for my next one.

Malc

Master
    I'm 49 and having a great year so far, down from 17 stone to 13.5 in about 10 months. Loving slim fit shirts!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Resurrecting this as this years aim was to do IronMan UK which I did last Sunday.

Six months worth of training for that but a top day, and anyone who's done one, running down the finishing chute to be told "Malcolm, you are an Ironman" is a real special feeling.

Didn't quite go to plan as I had a real pain in my shoulder on the bike from about 20 miles which meant I couldn't turn or get on the aero bars without a real stabbing pain so that slowed me down and it was just double hot on the run.

But my first attempt, 16 1/2 hours so gives me a time to aim at for my next one.

Malc
    Well done Malcolm, that's a great achievement

Cheers
    Alan

Banned

Malc
    well done Malc, a terrific achievement! Not just in completing it but in all the hard work and training along the way! Respect.

Six months worth of training for that but a top day, and anyone who's done one, running down the finishing chute to be told "Malcolm, you are an Ironman" is a real special feeling......

Malc
    Well done!

There is something indescribable about that finish line and those words. I guess its about the whole journey that it takes to get there. It sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it. That's what keeps me coming back for more.

It sounds like it got its teeth into you! :)

Grand Master
    15st 9Lbs 2 months ago.

14st 5Lbs now.

With a flatter stomach :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I'm 49 and having a great year so far, down from 17 stone to 13.5 in about 10 months. Loving slim fit shirts!
    How have you done that?

Well done Malcolm that's a top effort

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    How have you done that?

Well done Malcolm that's a top effort
    I bought a road bike and go out with a group on Saturday mornings and Thursday evenings and try to get an hour in after work in between. I've also stopped eating sandwiches at work and take a home made salad withsome form of protein such as ham, chicken or fish, Myfitnesspal was a great kickstart to losing weight until you know what you can and can't eat becomes 2nd nature. I still pig out at weekends though!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Going well here. Been averaging 140 miles a week, every week, on the bike all through the wettest winter on record and now racking up closer to 200 per week. Still have 7lb to lose in 9 weeks. Will then be doing the toughest sportive in Europe for the 4th time. That is what usually keeps me on track - but not every year! (Entered it 6 times and didn't do it twice as not fit enough).

I'm also 50 this summer so have a target to be fitter than I ever have been in the past - and I think I will make it
    With others providing positive updates (well done chaps!), and my birthday in 2 weeks, I guess I should too. I lost the weight, smashed my PB on that ride and achieved my first gold medal finish time The new target is to keep all that fitness through to next year and get better all-round fitness i.e. more muscle on the top half.

I was on target until last Friday, when a freak blister burst on sole of my foot. I had to have 60% of the skin including all of my heel removed in A&E. I won't be able to resume serious walking for at least another week.

Well, some of the posts on here are pretty inspiring. I'll add my (not so amazing) 2 penn'orth...

Last year (October) I weighed myself and was disgusted to find that I was 12st 9lbs - the heaviest i have been in my life. Now, don't get me wrong I'm a whisker over 5' 11" so was still well within my BMI range but "felt flabby".

So - out went the 4 cans a week of beer or cider. An additional hour or two of racquet sports were added each week and I stopped having "thirds" at meal times.

Come early this year i was down to 11st 9lbs and feeling happier - but still wanted to get back to 11st (as I had been from age 15 to 27).

Thus - as the weather improved I got back on the bike and have been (mostly - unless it rains!) cycling to work for the past couple of months.

This has meant that 2 things have happened:

1) I'm now down at 11st 2lbs

and

2) I've stopped worrying about what I eat (as I'm permanently hungry)

Once I get to 11st (not far now) it should be relatively easy to maintain (fingers crossed).

Cheers,

18st 1lb on January 20th. Saw pictures of myself at a friends 50th and was genuinely shocked.

Weighed myself today on my 49th birthday at 13st 12lb. Lots of education, hard work and self-denial but the sleep apnea, snoring, acid reflux and general niggly ailments caused by being obese have largely disappeared. Only about a stone and a half to go!

I don't even really crave bad things that often!

Malc
    Awesome! I can only dream of completing one at the minute - but maybe one day. I bet you are looking forward to the next one.

I was walking with a female friend in the Cumbrian hills last weekend, and she has completed a number of Iron Man events - not sure what her best time was, but just noted she clocked a 12.28 in New Zealand - I can't imagine spending that long exercising in one go!

I am glad I came back to this thread. It is so inspiring to see so many people progressing and making continuous changes and improvements. I have had a total change of direction, and at the half way point of the year I have decided to go through with my original plans of getting as lean as possible (before I consider that I've lots too much weight/size). I've got about another 12 weeks to go but I'm down over 10kg already, and will probably end up lighter that I've been in the last 20 years!

I've started walking and cycling a lot more - so just need to slowly add in some running, and then get a swim coach. My brother is keen to try some sprint triathlons in the next year, with an aim for an iron man in 18-24 months - so I might try and do some training with him, even if I don't enter any events.

Keep it up!

It's great to see you changing direction and having a clear goal in mind with the triathlon training, Scott. This would be the last thing that I could do - I'm embarrassed to say but I cannot ride a bike and I cannot swim much either. I wish I had learned to cycle but I must be in the minute minority of people who cannot do this (strangely enough I used to rollerblade!). Anyway, I think you'll reach a much higher level of fitness and tone...the only thing that might play on your mind is coming down in muscle size/bulk.

Thanks again for all your great advice. I started upping my protein intake a bit with whey isolate. I don't want to go mad with too much protein or calories as I still need agility and fitness for dance. With the help of the instructor I was telling you about I've managed to get my squat up to 120kg at a bodyweight of 63kg. My goal is to do 140kg at the same bodyweight.

I am glad I came back to this thread. It is so inspiring to see so many people progressing and making continuous changes and improvements. I have had a total change of direction, and at the half way point of the year I have decided to go through with my original plans of getting as lean as possible (before I consider that I've lots too much weight/size). I've got about another 12 weeks to go but I'm down over 10kg already, and will probably end up lighter that I've been in the last 20 years!

I've started walking and cycling a lot more - so just need to slowly add in some running, and then get a swim coach. My brother is keen to try some sprint triathlons in the next year, with an aim for an iron man in 18-24 months - so I might try and do some training with him, even if I don't enter any events.

Keep it up!