closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for a Timefactors quartz watch for work

Looking for a Timefactors quartz watch for work

I work in a factory where it's bell to bell working so I'd prefer the accuracy of quartz.

I've used a G-shock with atomic timing for the past week but now I've sold it I'm looking for a replacement from one of the following mainly because of the ten year battery life 8)

PRS - 3 - I know Eddie has only got Orange dialled ones now but that doesn't bother me. I've also read that the second hand hits the markers bang on with these too :)

PRS - 18 - Love the look and the beadblasted case. I've read that the second hand on these doesn't hit the markers :cry:

PRS - 17 - How do these wear? I'm worried that this might be too small even though I haven't got big wrists I like a larger watch.

Which one should I go for? Is one better than the others or is it a case of going for which is the most appealing looks wise?

I've got a 17A and it wears fairly small, so the 17 might not be for you. I think the thing about the seconds hand is a bit hit and miss; the 18Q we had on the passaround missed quite noticeably, I've seen others post to say that their 18Qs were fine.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Ah right that could make a difference. Which of the two is the better bet in your opinion?

Never handled a PRS-3, I'm afraid. I quite liked the 18 I had during the passaround, but I'm an auto man and I prefer a date display. The 18 wore very comfortably and oozed quality of build, I doubt you'd go wrong with one.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

PR18Q

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II
    Ah right that could make a difference. Which of the two is the better bet in your opinion?
    I used a PRS18Q for work and to be honest it was hit a few times and did not mark at all it seems to be very robust.

I was not that fussy about a watch in this price range with the hit and miss of the seconds hand

The other two watches I think may mark a little more easy

Hope this helps

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    A black faced PRS-3 is my work watch, and I have to say it is great.
    I have a demanding outdoor type role, often working at night and it is holding up very well.
    I have owned a PRS-18 and thought it was good but I really needed the date function so let it go. I have handled the PRS-17 and it is a very fine watch but my recollection is that it has a lower pofile than the other two, certainly its bezel was not as easy to grip.
    An orange faced PRS-3 appeared on the sales forum a few days ago and I now regret not trying to get it as I would happily put another in the drawer.
    Which ever you get, it will come with first class customer service.

Master
    I had the 18Q as a beater before my U-1 arrived. It was a great quality watch, especially at the price point.
    The second hand on mine was fine, but I did miss the date.

Cheers,
    Peter

Master
    Blog Entries
    From Sept 06 to Jan 07 I wore an 18A to work everyday. Since Jan I have worn a 17C.

The 18A has few if any marks, it's a very comfy watch I mainly wore it on a NATO. The 17C I have worn on a Lumpy and is also very comfy, you won't know you're wearing it. I work in a ceramics factory, very dusty, neither has suffered ill effects, unlike some other watches I've had.

The bezel is easier to use on the 18 but is "floppier" than the 17. The 17 has a date - very useful.

I have an 8" wrist and the 17 looks OK on me, smaller than the 18. The 18 sits better on the wrist, the 17 is a bit flat. This is purely looks, doesn't affect wearability.

I wanted a chrono and the style and bezel of the 17C make it perfect - so functional I let my B-1 go. If I were to start afresh, I'd get the 17 in preference to the 18.

Thanks you've given me plenty to mull over :)

Journeyman
    I have a PRS-4 (black PVD, orange dial), a PRS-17Q, and a PRS-18Q all in my collection. I would rate them pretty much dead even in build quality, wearability, and lume. The only minus I can see with any of the 3 is that the PRS-18 has its bezel move off-placement too easily, even just from "desk diving." If that's a problem for you, the other two have much more secure bezels. As for dates, I prefer watches without them, so I tolerate the function on the PRS-4 and 17, since both have fairly unobtrusive dates. No one would go wrong choosing any of these TimeFactors watches.