closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Educate me about Submariner bracelets.

Master

Educate me about Submariner bracelets.

I have a hankering for a ND sub at some point in the near future.
    Obviously I have had a a good scout around, and it seems that even what I would class as the later models (there is a 2010 example of SC at present) look in the photos to have non SEL bracelets which seems a bit odd to me - my 16710 is a 2001 example and has solid end links.
    Could anyone educate me on submariner bracelet evolution or point me in the right direction for some light reading??
    Many thanks.
    Paul.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 14060 never had SELs, all have drilled lugs. SELs came in with the 114060 (ceramic model) along with an updated clasp. I'm not sure if the links were updated.

Master
    Nice one Phil, that kind of answers me question, seems strange not to fit SELs when other models had them. I wonder what the reasoning is for that??

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Nice one Phil, that kind of answers me question, seems strange not to fit SELs when other models had them. I wonder what the reasoning is for that??
    If you like the watch I wouldn't let it put you off. You won't be risking your money if you buy one then move it on. The bracelet is comfortable and secure.

Journeyman
    I wonder what the reasoning is for that??
    Rolex does what Rolex does. Some of their decisions are unfathomable.

Master
    No, it won't put me off, just seems strange to me, logic would dictate that they'd just change bracelets across the board, but then again, logic doesn't really come into it!

The reason is to keep it simple and inexpensive. You can put a SEL bracelet from a 16610 if you grind the endlinks a bit.
    You will not find a Rolex SEL bracelet that will fit without some customizing.

Banned
    The old hollow link bracelets were at least with the separate end links you have, you can look for an aftermarket, solid link, bracelet to replace it.

Apprentice
    Generally the difference between the new and old bracelets is massive !! the old bracelets have HCL's (Hollow Centre Links) and the watch rattles a bit. The clasp is also noticeably changes. The new version is quite square looking where as the old clasp is stamped out with little machining. They wear quite a lot a posed to the new shape.

Olly

I have a 16710 SEL bracelet like the OP and a Tudor without SEL's and on the wrist I don't notice any difference, what are these massive differences people talk about, I'm genuinely interested.